Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

And yet I really enjoyed NLOTH. So how do you square that one?

I'd then say your statement about Bono was a load of tosh if you managed to really enjoy an album largely due to him, even though you earlier stated he was "submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard. And he hasn't been able to come up for air since. "

Maybe that's what you look for in an album, "submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard", if so, then I grossly misunderstood your statement. Thought it was a hasty critique and not a compliment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

You have taken huge issue with the fact that I have the audacity to not like a U2 album. That seems to be the underlying issue with you. Do you not realise how childish it is to suggest that I should start finding some other bands? I listen to plenty of other music, thanks very much. But people are allowed be critical of U2. The world would be a very dull place if we all took the same opinion on everything.

In fairness...

Kite
    Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    Original Of The Species
    Electrical Storm
    City Of Blinding Lights
    Moment Of Surrender
    Magnificent
    California
    The Troubles
    Sleep Like A Baby
    Lucifer's Hands
    Raised By Wolves
    This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
    The Little Things That Give You Away

All have great lyrics to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Wooderson

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    HTDAAB is dreadful, for the most part. All the albums released since then have been superior in my view.

Well said. Thats album is a mess. Did it win the Grammy that year? Jesus wept.

I'd question anyone's sanity and opinion if they deem HTDAAB a better album than SOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'd then say your statement about Bono was a load of tosh if you managed to really enjoy an album largely due to him, even though you earlier stated he was "submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard. And he hasn't been able to come up for air since. "

Maybe that's what you look for in an album, "submerged in his own earnestness and self-regard", if so, then I grossly misunderstood your statement. Thought it was a hasty critique and not a compliment :pac:

You have zoomed in on one aspect of my assessment of where U2's weak point is and you have run with that and won't let it go. The lyrics are not the be-all and end-all of making a good album. I never said that. I don't get hung up on it. Although you seem to think I am as you keep throwing the same line back at me all the time.

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »
    Well said. Thats album is a mess. Did it win the Grammy that year? Jesus wept.

As Bono says, "There's not a bad song on there"
    But, the way it flows or, as an album, it really "****s" him off

You have zoomed in on one aspect of my assessment of where U2's weak point is and you have run with that and won't let it go. The lyrics are not the be-all and end-all of making a good album. I never said that. I don't get hung up on it. Although you seem to think I am as you keep throwing the same line back at me all the time.

That's bizarre. Lyrics are very important. But yeah, another reason to ignore your opinion. Back to HTDAAB with you :pac:

I'd question anyone's sanity and opinion if they deem HTDAAB a better album than SOE.

This is another thing you've got 100 per cent wrong. I said SOE is at the bottom of my 2000s list. In no way is that the same thing as thinking HTDAAB is a good album. It's fairly dreadful for the most part. So don't even think of using that as a stick to beat me with.

This is another thing you've got 100 per cent wrong. I said SOE is at the bottom of my 2000s list. In no way is that the same thing as thinking HTDAAB is a good album. It's fairly dreadful for the most part. So don't even think of using that as a stick to beat me with.

At the bottom. Which means, you think HTDAAB is better. Hence why you deserve the beating with all the sticks in the world :pac:

At the bottom. Which means, you think HTDAAB is better. Hence why you deserve the beating with all the sticks in the world :pac:

Nope, just means this one is even worse.

• Advertisement

Nope, just means this one is even worse.

:D:D:D WHICH MEANS YOU THINK HTDAAB IS BETTER

jaysus, logic? nah, none.

:D:D:D WHICH MEANS YOU THINK HTDAAB IS BETTER

jaysus, logic? nah, none.

Yeah keep on spinning as that's about the only thing you seem to be good at. I think you should be majorly embarrassed at some of your posts.

Yeah keep on spinning as that's about the only thing you seem to be good at. I think you should be majorly embarrassed at some of your posts.

He has a point in all fairness.

You're putting this at the bottom, which means you think the other 13 or 14 albums are better.

Spinning, less good, not as sh!t, worse, all the fvcking same :pac:

You think HTDAAB is better than SOE. And that's a wrap :pac:

Now go back and have another read of your little "rant" about the album, as it was more a rant than a review. And try and understand why I've called you out on some of your bullsh!t remarks. And why you've yourself since proved them nonsense remarks, or on the other hand proved you're not to be trusted with an opinion about this record.

He has a point in all fairness.

You're putting this at the bottom, which means you think the other 13 or 14 albums are better.

Better by what...a third of a point out of 10? Talk about focusing on the small picture! This is just laughable stuff. I said each album deserves to be taken on its own merit.

Spinning, less good, not as sh!t, worse, all the fvcking same :pac:

You think HTDAAB is better than SOE. And that's a wrap :pac:

Now go back and have another read of your little "rant" about the album, as it was more a rant than a review. And try and understand why I've called you out on some of your bullsh!t remarks. And why you've yourself since proved them nonsense remarks, or on the other hand proved you're not to be trusted with an opinion about this record.

A rant implies getting angry over something and losing control. No one in their right minds could say I had a rant about this album. So what's your excuse?

A rant implies getting angry over something and losing control. No one in their right minds could say I had a rant about this album. So what's your excuse?

I'm not angry, I'm quite amused by you. I'm not losing control, I couldn't be calmer.

Your review was nonsense. Your opinion in this regard is nonsense. I'll leave it there.

Better by what...a third of a point out of 10? Talk about focusing on the small picture! This is just laughable stuff. I said each album deserves to be taken on its own merit.

Laughable?!

Erm, you said it was the worst of the 00's, which means you think HTDAAB is better.

I'm hardly shining a torch in your face. Just pointing out the obvious. Don't really care which one you like or dislike more

I'm not angry, I'm quite amused by you. I'm not losing control, I couldn't be calmer.

Your review was nonsense. Your opinion in this regard is nonsense. I'll leave it there.

You're the one who attributed statements to me that..erm...I didn't actually state. I pointed these innaccuracies out but, amusingly, you ignored them. So really, I'd say you're the one talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

You're the one who attributed statements to me that..erm...I didn't actually state. I pointed these innaccuracies out but, amusingly, you ignored them. So really, I'd say you're the one talking nonsense.

In fairness you seem to be quite good at talking nonsense yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I pre-ordered, but delivery still hasn't been made. :( In actual fact, the other half bought the Extra Delux Boxset for me as Christmas Pressie. Of course I am dying to get my hands on it. Had absolutely no interest in streaming it, or bootleg pre-release and I don't do spotify or any of that lark. I like to get the album in my hands, stick it on the proper sound system at high volume and read the inlay booklet. But it is kinda torturous having to wait even longer this time around. I pity the family come Christmas day, will I last........

I broke yesterday and bit the bullet. Downloaded the 4 tracks which I could of had for the last couple of weeks but my wilpower just broke down. Really like them, obviously I had heard the Blackout already and add it to The Little Things I think we are onto a decent record yet again.

Got my pre-ordered CD delivered yesterday, so hopefully it's with ya soon Seve!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You're allowed an opinion if its overwhelmingly positive. In a sort of everyones a winner way. Like you'd treat thick children in school.

Its their worst reviewed album ever. Lets face it, its a stinker.

A couple more beauties here.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/songs-of-experience-mw0003122263

"that the glossy surface can sometimes recall Ellie Goulding, or how when the tempo slows, it feels like U2's greatest aspiration is to be as graceful as Coldplay. All this adds up to an album that feels vaguely desperate. Say what you will about the muddled Pop: at least it had an ethos. Here, U2 feel trapped between their history and the pull of the year, and they wind up seeming diminished. For the first time, they seem smaller than life."

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/u2-songs-of-experience/

"it is safe to assume that while, say, “Pride (In the Name of Love)” or “New Year’s Day” have proven something like timeless, “Red Flag Day” and “The Showman (Little More Better)” will fall rather short of eternal. “How long must we sing this song?” Bono asked on “Sunday Bloody Sunday”—and they’ve been obliged to sing it nightly since 1983. With these songs, about a single tour should do".

:o

PTH2009 wrote: »
    its on Spotify now

I dont get why people still buy cds when they could just pay E10 a month and have unlimited plays on Spotify but that only really works out if u have unlimted data and access to WIFI
    MadYaker wrote: »
    I get that too. Get a turntable and start buying vinyl, it's not just the sound quality either, there's just something really nice about buying a new record and playing it for the first time.
    Got my pre-ordered CD delivered yesterday, so hopefully it's with ya soon Seve!

I am guessing the larger items probably take a bit longer :(

Good thing is there is a T-Shirt with it so Christmas top is also sorted :D

Did you get your code for tickets with the CD?

I assume this is going to be an additional code on top of the Code we should get from being members on the website?

Seve OB wrote: »
    I am guessing the larger items probably take a bit longer :(

Good thing is there is a T-Shirt with it so Christmas top is also sorted :D

Did you get your code for tickets with the CD?

I assume this is going to be an additional code on top of the Code we should get from being members on the website?

No code, support said that would be sent a few days before the presale. I'm not holding my breath on that one :D

Yep it should be in addition to your membership code.

The Nal wrote: »
    You're allowed an opinion if its overwhelmingly positive. In a sort of everyones a winner way. Like you'd treat thick children in school.

Its their worst reviewed album ever. Lets face it, its a stinker.

A couple more beauties here.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/songs-of-experience-mw0003122263

"that the glossy surface can sometimes recall Ellie Goulding, or how when the tempo slows, it feels like U2's greatest aspiration is to be as graceful as Coldplay. All this adds up to an album that feels vaguely desperate. Say what you will about the muddled Pop: at least it had an ethos. Here, U2 feel trapped between their history and the pull of the year, and they wind up seeming diminished. For the first time, they seem smaller than life."

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/u2-songs-of-experience/

"it is safe to assume that while, say, “Pride (In the Name of Love)” or “New Year’s Day” have proven something like timeless, “Red Flag Day” and “The Showman (Little More Better)” will fall rather short of eternal. “How long must we sing this song?” Bono asked on “Sunday Bloody Sunday”—and they’ve been obliged to sing it nightly since 1983. With these songs, about a single tour should do".

:o

Ah why can't we all just get along? As a great man once said (rather clunkily but we won't go there!) 'Love is Bigger than Anything in its Way' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    HTDAAB is dreadful, for the most part. .

lol

Miracle Drug
    City of Blinding Lights
    Yahweh
    Sometimes You Cant Make it on Your Own
    Vertigo

Dreadful ?

lol

Miracle Drug
    City of Blinding Lights
    Yahweh
    Vertigo

Dreadful ?

Compared to other U2 albums I'd say dreadful is fair enough. I do like the album I must say. My least favourite U2 album in hindsight, not mad on War either, but I still really like some of the songs, SYCMIOYO and Miracle Drug.

lol

Miracle Drug
    City of Blinding Lights
    Yahweh
    Vertigo

Dreadful ?

Honestly HTDAAB took me a while to warm to. I think the title just turned me off to begin with. :rolleyes: Honestly, Vertigo I hated to begin with but I've grown to like it. It is a great album though. Sometimes was an instant hit though for me. Yahweh was one that I just loved more and more each time I played it. But Blinding Lights for me is probably their best track since ATYCLB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

lol

Miracle Drug
    City of Blinding Lights
    Yahweh
    Vertigo

Dreadful ?

Yes, overall a poor album. The first 3 songs you listed there are some of my least favourite U2 songs since 2000 - A Man And A Woman, All Because of You, Crumbs from Your Table are also pretty bad. Just my opinion, but it seems that opinions arent really welcomed in this thread.

I enjoy NLOTH on the other hand. Some interesting stuff on there.

On HTDAAB, the only tracks I'd go back to are Vertigo, SYCMIOYO and Fast Cars.

EDIT: Oh, and Love & Peace or Else! Always liked that one :D

Advertisement