Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranked second-worst major European city for quality of life

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Grayson wrote: »
    But the problems they have are the same problems we have.

No to the same degree - someone coming here on a temporary posting is probably not looking to put kids in school, arrange care for elderly parents etc.....

......and if they are here on a longer term basis then they can do what the the rest of us priced out of Dublin have done - move!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dublin has some great assets, like low crime rates, good community atmosphere in large parts of it, a lot of green space, low pollution, cosmopolitan, ethnically mixed, high levels of business/economic output, its clean, good quality building construction in the city

But public transport and rent rates/availablity of accomodation are absolutely crucial factors that Dublin massively falls down in so Im not that surprised its ranked badly.

Jawgap wrote: »
    By my reckoning there are 96 double rooms available in houses apartments at less than €750 pm in Dublin 3,5,7,9, and 11 - you can walk to the city centre from some of those areas and they are all very cyclable.

In D3 alone there are 12.

Oh golly! Less than €750 per month.

In many parts of the country, that's what you'd pay for a full friggin' house!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Full time minimum wage gets you about 330 a week take home pay AFAIR.

How do people actually live in Dublin on that? Rent isn't the only thing that's dearer up there.

We just spend it all on heroin and let the good times roll.

Oh golly! Less than €750 per month.

In many parts of the country, that's what you'd pay for a full friggin' house!

Yes but then you dont get to live in a city
    You pay for living in a city quite dearly, in almost every country on earth. In dublin this is just grossly exaggerated to an unacceptable degree though

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Dublin has some great assets, like low crime rates, good community atmosphere in large parts of it, a lot of green space, low pollution, cosmopolitan, ethnically mixed, high levels of business/economic output, its clean, good quality building construction in the city

In my experience, none of that applies to the city centre. It's definitely not clean or all that safe ..

In my experience, none of that applies to the city centre. It's definitely not clean or all that safe ..

Everything is relative. It may not be perfect, but its cleaner and safer than most city centres in the world

Everything is relative. It may not be perfect, but its cleaner and safer than most city centres in the world

In third world countries, sure.

Ah, no. Dublin has myriad problems but it's still far ahead of a lot of European cities - it's quite clean, and quite safe, plus it has no high rises, and still functions on a human scale.

Well yeh. 85% of the world, so thats an achievement. The world is overall poor and dirty
    And anyway Dublin its just as clean as any large european cities Ive ever visited too

• Advertisement

Well yeh. 85% of the world, so thats an achievement. The world is overall poor and dirty
    And anyway Dublin its just as clean as any large european cities Ive ever visited too

Haven't seen junkies out in the street and people openly doing drug deals in Barcelona, London, New York, Los Angeles ...

Jawgap wrote: »
    Ah, no. Dublin has myriad problems but it's still far ahead of a lot of European cities - it's quite clean, and quite safe, plus it has no high rises, and still functions on a human scale.

Well highrises arent inherently bad imo..Some are nice. Most are horrible, awful.Like most large east asian and american cities. But they save a lot of space, and could help hugely with Dublins sprawl and housing shortage

Haven't seen junkies out in the street and people openly doing drug deals in Barcelona, London, New York, Los Angeles ...

Well I simply dont believe that
    Have you even been to barcelona? Every street corner in gothic district a middle eastern/indian man will ask you if you want cocaine hash weed etc

And barcelona has much bigger problems with prostitution for instance. Ive never been approached by dozens of prostitutes in one night walking home from a club in dublin, have you? Well its EVERYWHERE in barcelona.

Also dont believe youve been to new york, or any north american city. Completely insane people wander the streets, absolutely out of their mind, much much worse than any junkie in Dublin, so much louder and honestly a lot more frightening to be around. I dont know whether they are all on drugs or are all just mentally insane

And a thing that all those cities has actually that Dublin should be greatful we dont have is overly aggressive gypsy and middle eastern scammers and gimmick tourist ****e sales people

Junkies and drug dealnig are far worse in many first world cities, even in many of the few you listed !:pac:

Often when I read threads like this about Dublin it makes me feel as though the people writing in them have never visited anywhere outside of the major tourist areas of some first world major tourist cities

What? It's all over the place in Barca.....and in my experience you don't have to go too far off the beaten path in London and NY to find junkies, dealers and seriously levels of violence.

Not sure about LA because I've never really spent that much time there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Often when I read threads like this about Dublin it makes me feel as though the people writing in them have never visited anywhere outside of the major tourist areas of some first world major tourist cities

I don't even think it's that. Les Rambles in Barcelona is a big tourist area and you can't walk down it without getting offered drugs every 2 minutes. You get the same in Amsterdam. I think it's more down to confirmation bias and them believing Dublin is a dangerous kip.

I don't even think it's that. Les Rambles in Barcelona is a big tourist area and you can't walk down it without getting offered drugs every 2 minutes. You get the same in Amsterdam. I think it's more down to confirmation bias and them believing Dublin is a dangerous kip.

It just makes me sad because I know people from eastern european and other countries who gave up their entire life to come here and give their children a good life, and they love it here compared to home, and then you have completely ungrateful locals like boneyarsebogman acting like hes suffering in aleppo here

I know dublins not amazing, ive come home fromparis and other cities and thought how dull dublin is. But I can still see what I have got, thats not to say we shouldnt improve but I appreciate how much better dublin is than the vast majority of cities on earth and we are lucky to live here.

It just makes me sad because I know people from eastern european and other countries who gave up their entire life to come here and give their children a good life, and they love it here compared to home, and then you have completely ungrateful locals like boneyarsebogman acting like hes suffering in aleppo here

Ungrateful local? Ara would you eff off with that nonsense?

Also this poll was conducted by expats, who would fit into the category you're talking about. So it isn't as rosy as you're making it out to be.

Since, yknow, they're the ones complaining about the quality of life.

Ungrateful local? Ara would you eff off with that nonsense?

Also this poll was conducted by expats, who would fit into the category you're talking about. So it isn't as rosy as you're making it out to be.

Since, yknow, they're the ones complaining about the quality of life.

Theyre complaining about house prices.! Which I agreed are bad but I am saying theres plenty of good things about Dublin, which you disagred with. Youre saying its dirty and dangerous and akip etc, which they are not saying, and which most people would disagree with

• Registered Users Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I saw it in San Francisco. Plus the homelessness there left me feeling a bit sick in my stomach. You can see tent cities from the train and every doorway in the city centre seems to have someone living in it.
    San Francisco is what dublin could become if housing isn't sorted. I have a friend in the mission district there. they were renting out a room in a house for something like 1400 a month. It's got to the stage where high earning tech workers can't afford to live in SF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Loads of cities worse than Dublin in fairness, but I can't wait to get out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some day someone will make a film "Escape from Dublin", and it will still have Kurt Russell in the lead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

I've seen ads on Daft looking for people to share a double bed!!!!! Generally female only with a female occupant already there. Its madness.

Don't knock it till you try it :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

seachto7 wrote: »
    Loads of cities worse than Dublin in fairness, but I can't wait to get out of here.

where are you heading for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

All due respect but it sounds like you've never been to any of those cities if that's your opinion.

Plenty of people have already talked about Barcelona in here but L.A, are you for real? I've never been to a bigger sh*thole of a city with crazy homeless people, insane income inequality, dirty streets (take a walk on Hollywood Blvd sometime), awful public transport, and overall feeling of unease when walking around. L.A. is an absolute ****hole unless you're really wealthy.

Basically you haven't a clue what you're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

These threads make me think I've never actually been to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    Some day someone will make a film "Escape from Dublin", and it will still have Kurt Russell in the lead.

I think Boneyarsebogman was that soldier.

From what I remember he popped on to the Dublin city forum a few years asking for advice on a move to the city, got plenty of help from Dubliners but has since started a good few anti-Dublin/Dubliner and negative Dublin threads.

Can you imagine having the time and inclination to start multiple negative threads bitching about an area in your country?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I think Boneyarsebogman was that soldier.

From what I remember he popped on to the Dublin city forum a few years asking for advice on a move to the city, got plenty of help from Dubliners but has since started a good few anti-Dublin/Dubliner and negative Dublin threads.

Can you imagine having the time and inclination to start multiple negative threads bitching about an area in your country?

Exactly how many threads do you think I've started giving out about Dublin ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Exactly how many threads do you think I've started giving out about Dublin ...?

I have neither the time nor inclination to look or bury myself in the negativity. :o

You seem to though. Blast away my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I have neither the time nor inclination to look or bury myself in the negativity. :o

You seem to though. Blast away my friend.

I'm off sick so I do! Took five minutes to look through two years of threads bogmans started, only one about Dublin was asking where to get boxes for packing.

I'd say you've him mixed up with someone else, there's another poster with a similar name, can't remember what but I get them mixed up too.

Advertisement