Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranked second-worst major European city for quality of life

Options
  • 15-11-2017 11:20pm

Dublin has been rated one of the worst cities in the world to emigrate to due to the lack of affordable housing and high cost of living.
    The Irish capital has been ranked just 47th out of 51 cities in a newly-published global survey of almost 13,000 respondents.
    The Expat City Ranking 2017 found that Dublin was the second worst major European city in terms of quality of life, with Paris further behind in 49th spot.
    The sprawling Nigerian city of Lagos and the Saudi Arabian cities of Riyadh and Jeddah were the only other urban destinations that fared worse in the survey.

Source: Irish Times

I mean -- is anyone surprised?

Edit:

I'm not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I mean could you offer more than a one line insight?

I mean could you offer more than a one line insight?

There. Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The title is misleading. It was rated poor for affordability of housing not for overall quality of life.

Misleading

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

People not being able to afford to move somewhere has zero to do with the quality of life for those people actually living there. Ridiculous connection to make.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

listermint wrote: »
    The title is misleading. It was rated poor for affordability of housing not for overall quality of life.

Misleading

No it's not. Dublin rated very low over all as well, 5th from with the bottom. Not that I agree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Edit:

I'm not.

And yet here's a report from Deutsche Bank that puts Ireland as 21 of 47 cities in a Quality of Life index. A report from roughly 6 months ago.

Dublin is ahead of numerous European cities

https://www.finews.ch/images/download/Mapping.the.worlds.prices.2017.pdf

The lesson here?

Don't believe any of these index reports as they are all measured using differing methodologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

listermint wrote: »

Misleading

I'd say affordability or availability of housing is an integral part of your quality of life....

The problem with city planning or governing cities is that you get punished over time for your mistakes....

For too long Dublin, for a myriad of reasons has suffered from poor governance, poor infrastructure, poor planning...

It is a shame, because besides its historical significance, its cultural depth and achievements it is also a beautiful city...it should be on the cusp of a very bright future and may well be, but you can't help but think its mistakes are catching up with it....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

5starpool wrote: »
    People not being able to afford to move somewhere has zero to do with the quality of life for those people actually living there. Ridiculous connection to make.

Poor quality of life for ex-pats though, due to unaffordability of housing?

That's the way I read the survey anyway, it wasn't surveying the quality of life overall for all the residents in all the major cities.

I do agree though the survey itself is rather silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Be interesting to see what the €5m Spin Machine does with this news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Having lived there, I am not a bit surprised. The traffic and quality/availability of housing are dire. It's a dreary place too.
    Good nightlife but I would advise tourists to spend most of their time on the Wild Atlantic Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Edit:

I'm not.

You are in trouble when Leo's spin department finds out about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I've lived in many cities but I really love it in Dublin. I've a nice cycle to work in the city centre, the weather isn't so bad most of the time, an airport with cheap flights to all over Europe, world class restaurants and bars, generally nice friendly open people, and it's built around a lovely bay.
    I think the article alludes to house prices etc, something that doesn't affect me I'm in a good place in that regard luckily, so I can understand it must be a nightmare to move here with the crazy rental market and house prices. I don't see why our politicians aren't expediting the building of lots of apartments etc, and looking at high rise options.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The article had some positive things to say:

"However, Dublin is ranked highly for career opportunities, coming in in 11th place, with 65 per cent of respondents rating this factor positively. Dublin also scored highly for local friendliness, with 84 per cent of expats giving the thumbs-up to the warmth of the people — compared to a global average of just 65 per cent."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm surprised that the Irish Times has illustrated the article with a >20 year old photo of Dublin.

image.jpg

Check out the old green bus on Eden Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Vita nova wrote: »
    The article had some positive things to say:

"However, Dublin is ranked highly for career opportunities, coming in in 11th place, with 65 per cent of respondents rating this factor positively. Dublin also scored highly for local friendliness, with 84 per cent of expats giving the thumbs-up to the warmth of the people — compared to a global average of just 65 per cent."

Whats the point in having good career opportunities when there is nowhere to live. Really hate the idea of being stuck with the parents well into the 30's. A mortgage is not something I want right now. My field has excellent roles available in Dublin and my LinkedIn and mailbox is pinging but I cannot stand the cost of living and stealth taxes. For that reason I've opted out recently having stuck it out through the recession. Sadly, I see living standards continue declining and not improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's a ranking of value for expats specifically. They may live in a compound, with locals being executed daily in the main square, but if it's cheap and the expat can have both servants and savings it will top the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

I used to be one a facebook group for people to find places to stay in Dublin. Except it wasn't for a room, it was for a bed in a room with many other people. Prices would be 300 euro or so, it was shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

defrule wrote: »
    I used to be one a facebook group for people to find places to stay in Dublin. Except it wasn't for a room, it was for a bed in a room with many other people. Prices would be 300 euro or so, it was shocking.

Wow, that really highlights how bad the accommodation situation is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Wow, that really highlights how bad the accommodation situation is!

Its the same in most capital cities across the world.

Funny when people act so shocked hearing something that hsppens all over the works also happens in ireland.

The shock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Its the same in most capital cities across the world.

Funny when people act so shocked hearing something that hsppens all over the works also happens in ireland.

The shock.

You like to equate everything with what happens elsewhere in the world.
    Some however prefer to concentrate on what goes on in this place.

Donal55 wrote: »

Thank you. I lived in Dublin for many years but left 10 years ago. I am shocked at the thought of people bunking up in rooms. That wasn't a "thing" when I lived there. The only reason people did share rooms was by choice to get very low rent.

So yes, I am very shocked there exists Facebook groups like the one mentioned. Hope that's cleared that up :)

Donal55 wrote: »

Of course.

But you have to be realistic.

Just because we want all these great things doesn't mean you automatically get them.

Thank you. I lived in Dublin for many years but left 10 years ago. I am shocked at the thought of people bunking up in rooms. That wasn't a "thing" when I lived there. The only reason people did share rooms was by choice to get very low rent.

So yes, I am very shocked there exists Facebook groups like the one mentioned. Hope that's cleared that up :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people sharing rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pretty suspect survey if Bahrain is the best place to live with Paris beside Lagos as one of the worst.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people sharing rooms.

No, there isn't. But when it's not by choice but because there is no other alternative, there is a problem. I can only imagine the stress it must be to find a room to rent in Dublin now when so many others are looking. I'd say landlords are making a killing.

Pretty awful to not want to share but having no choice because a room to yourself is such a huge chunk out of your weekly pay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Who cares? Another waste of time, waste of money survey. Nothing will change, no point in discussing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Shít thread titles should be banned. This is an outright lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Of course.

But you have to be realistic.

Just because we want all these great things doesn't mean you automatically get them.

So no point in trying to fix problems ourselves because other countries are unable to?

• Advertisement

Shít thread titles should be banned. This is an outright lie.

Pssssstt it's the title of the article. But don't let that get in the way of your faux outrage.
    defrule wrote: »

When I was living in Dublin and looking for a house, I happened upon one online.

Get this: two sets of bunk beds for €500 per bunk per month each.

Yup.

A bunk in a bunkbed for the price of a luxurious double room anywhere else in the country.

That single room was bringing in €2000 a month. And supposedly there were two others like it.

Advertisement