Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranked second-worst major European city for quality of life

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people sharing rooms.

What if ya want to ride though?

Or even value personal space/privacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Its the same in most capital cities across the world.

Funny when people act so shocked hearing something that hsppens all over the works also happens in ireland.

The shock.

Irish people think if you apply the word “capital” to a city it makes it more expensive or something. Plenty of countries don’t have expensive capitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Thank you. I lived in Dublin for many years but left 10 years ago. I am shocked at the thought of people bunking up in rooms. That wasn't a "thing" when I lived there. The only reason people did share rooms was by choice to get very low rent.

So yes, I am very shocked there exists Facebook groups like the one mentioned. Hope that's cleared that up :)

I've seen ads on Daft looking for people to share a double bed!!!!! Generally female only with a female occupant already there. Its madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Pssssstt it's the title of the article. But don't let that get in the way of your faux outrage.

When I was living in Dublin and looking for a house, I happened upon one online.

Get this: two sets of bunk beds for €500 per bunk per month each.

Yup.

A bunk in a bunkbed for the price of a luxurious double room anywhere else in the country.

That single room was bringing in €2000 a month. And supposedly there were two others like it.

A homeless hostel would be a lot cheaper, and you get a couple of meals thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,886 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Unadulterated kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Very misleading thread title and article in general.

Dublin usually ranks high on lists for quality of life for capitals worldwide, and rightly so, it's a really good place to live.

Now if the article was more along the lines of "places that are difficult to find somewhere feasible to live" then it'd be more accurate.

I find it funny that people are outraged more by the thread title than someone being forced to share a double bed with someone-- and having to pay €400 a month for half a bed!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Kind of surprised - but it depends on how/what you rank it on.

Affordability of accommodation is definitely a serious issue, as is the lack of public transport in from the periphery - but all that's a function of our politics so relatively easy, but expensive, to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Its the same in most capital cities across the world.

Funny when people act so shocked hearing something that hsppens all over the works also happens in ireland.

The shock.

I think Ireland has something like the second highest increases in rent/housing. So even though housing increases occur all over the world you can't say it's the same.

I'm working for a big multinational, on a good wage, and I think renting in Dublin is expensive. I live in Kildare and although I'd love to live in Dublin I can't justify the ridiculous increase I'd have to pay.

The median wage here is thirty something thousand a year. I can't see how people can afford to live. The average person is spending 55% of their wages on rent. For people on the median wage or below Dublin must be horrible to live in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I find it funny that people are outraged more by the thread title than someone being forced to share a double bed with someone-- and having to pay €400 a month for half a bed!!!!

Or you could get a room to yourself in a house share relatively close to the city centre for about €500-600 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

When did Bahrain become Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Seem like this study was done by InterNations which is essentially a poor mans facebuke / linkedin for ex-pats. I would pay zero attention to it.

However, Dublin should still ask some serious questions of itself. I would like to move back someday but there's just too much crap to put up with in that city.

Or you could get a room to yourself in a house share relatively close to the city centre for about €500-600 a month.

Define "relatively".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Define "relatively".

Drumcondra, Santry, Glasnevin, Phibsboro. You can get double rooms in all of those areas for less than €600 and they'd be nice houses/apartments too. I don't know about any where else as I only have personal experience of those areas but I imagine the same applies to a lot of areas inside the M50.

Drumcondra, Santry, Glasnevin, Phibsboro. You can get double rooms in all of those areas for less than €600 and they'd be nice houses/apartments too. I don't know about any where else as I only have personal experience of those areas but I imagine the same applies to a lot of areas inside the M50.

All of those have an added commute though, so you're including the cost of that on top of it.

All of those have an added commute though, so you're including the cost of that on top of it.

Drumcondra and Phibsboro are within walking distance and a bike would more than do for the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people sharing rooms.

As long as that person isn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Cina wrote: »
    Very misleading thread title and article in general.

Dublin usually ranks high on lists for quality of life for capitals worldwide, and rightly so, it's a really good place to live.

Now if the article was more along the lines of "places that are difficult to find somewhere feasible to live" then it'd be more accurate.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Which is becoming a big problem for the tech and finance companies based in Dublin and trying to attract ex pat employees. The fact that as high as their income is there's near zero availability of central single occupancy apartments and they're instead left with houseshares in the suburbs is not something that chimes with their experience and expectations.

Dublin's housing crisis is insane, it's a small city. And it's not something it makes sense to shrug off, with Brexit coming especially. If the policy is that attracting foreign companies and workers is good good good, always good, then anything that makes Dublin a less attractive place is very very very bad.

Added commute cost as opposed to where? By the way, I'm only on about those areas because I've only ever looked in those areas because they suit me. You can get double rooms in D1 for less than 600 a month.

• Advertisement

Here are the rooms currently advertised on daft.ie for Drumcondra and Phibsboro.

As you can see, you're lucky to get a room for less than €400 - and the ones ranging from 400 - 550 seem to be small single rooms.

Hell, this one in Phibsboro is looking for €350 a month ... to share a room -- with not just one, but two other people.

Two!

Isn't it about time we stop looking to excuse sh1te like that and, instead, start forcing landlords, agencies, and developers to do something about it.

Which is becoming a big problem for the tech and finance companies based in Dublin and trying to attract ex pat employees. The fact that as high as their income is there's near zero availability of central single occupancy apartments and they're instead left with houseshares in the suburbs is not something that chimes with their experience and expectations.

Dublin's housing crisis is insane, it's a small city. And it's not something it makes sense to shrug off, with Brexit coming especially. If the policy is that attracting foreign companies and workers is good good good, always good, then anything that makes Dublin a less attractive place is very very very bad.

I'm not shrugging it off, housing is a big issue in Dublin and we need to start building apartments and houses and sorting out public transport ASAP. I just don't see why you'd spend 400 a month to share a bed when you can spend an extra 100 for your own double room.

Here are the rooms currently advertised on daft.ie for Drumcondra and Phibsboro.

As you can see, you're lucky to get a room for less than €400 - and the ones ranging from 400 - 550 seem to be small single rooms.

Hell, this one in Phibsboro is looking for €350 a month ... to share a room -- with not just one, but two other people.

Two!

Isn't it about time we stop looking to excuse sh1te like that and, instead, start forcing landlords, agencies, and developers to do something about it.

By my reckoning there are 96 double rooms available in houses apartments at less than €750 pm in Dublin 3,5,7,9, and 11 - you can walk to the city centre from some of those areas and they are all very cyclable.

In D3 alone there are 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Dublin doesn't offer much as a City unfortunately. It's a pity as it has so much potential.
    - ridiculous cost of rent and houses. In no way sustainable.
    - in most parts, public transport is appalling. Traffic congestion is chronic, M50 is like a Car Park.

I'm not shrugging it off, housing is a big issue in Dublin and we need to start building apartments and houses and sorting out public transport ASAP. I just don't see why you'd spend 400 a month to share a bed when you can spend an extra 100 for your own double room.

Because €100 is a lot of money to a lot of people?

Jawgap wrote: »
    By my reckoning there are 96 double rooms available in houses apartments at less than €750 pm in Dublin 3,5,7,9, and 11 - you can walk to the city centre from some of those areas and they are all very cyclable.

In D3 alone there are 12.

€750 is a ridiculous amount to pay for a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Full time minimum wage gets you about 330 a week take home pay AFAIR.

How do people actually live in Dublin on that? Rent isn't the only thing that's dearer up there.

Grayson wrote: »
    €750 is a ridiculous amount to pay for a room.

I agree - but its supply and demand.

....the study was conducted in relation to ex-pats - they are not really compelled to come here. If those people are finding Dublin too expensive, they can always go elsewhere but I suspect the bit the survey that suggests a job in Dublin with certain firms puts people on a faster promotion track is what draws them - consequently, they're only passing through and not looking to settle here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It is certainly not a surprise to me, Dublin is a big dump with a homeless crisis, housing crisis and too many immigrants putting pressure on public services, so ultimately this is the result.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    I agree - but its supply and demand.

....the study was conducted in relation to ex-pats - they are not really compelled to come here. If those people are finding Dublin too expensive, they can always go elsewhere but I suspect the bit the survey that suggests a job in Dublin with certain firms puts people on a faster promotion track is what draws them - consequently, they're only passing through and not looking to settle here.

But the problems they have are the same problems we have.

Advertisement