Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd think he's 33 at least.

Galway house prices are a tad higher than Limerick to be fair.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/jokers-unmasked-as-middleclass-lads-26607316.html

"From the very plush Ennis Road area of Limerick, Chambers is described locally as the brains of the operation................
    Chambers also attended Limerick School of Art and Design as a student of graphics and is understood to be completing a masters in psychology"

Ha plush. Its a normal neighbourhood full of normal people on the suburbs of limerick.

Its not the blackrock of limerick like you are trying to make out. Its basically beaumont

Ha plush. Its a normal neighbourhood full of normal people on the suburbs of limerick.

Its not the blackrock of limerick like you are trying to make out. Its basically beaumont

Fairly chunky house prices in some parts .......

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-sale/ennis-road/

I suppose he's from the sh1t part :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

houses in well to do parts of limerick are 35% cheaper than the likes of anything remotely middle class in galway

galway is a very expensive city , limerick is the same price as most midland towns and far cheaper than any town within fifty miles of dublin

Not anymore. The current housing boom will see Limerick doing better than other cities. It will catch up.

Two reasons: Lots of new employers/jobs and Traffic/Accommodation have choked Dublin and Galway.

Ask the IDA, Limerick is hot now. Dublin is grinding to a halt.

Fairly chunky house prices in some parts .......

http://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-sale/ennis-road/

I suppose he's from the sh1t part :pac:

Nah not really. I know the neighbourhood where he is from. Its just a standard copy paste neighbourhood from anywhere in Ireland.

The tone of the article is making him out to be a posh boy.
    Hes just a normal limerick lad who was given a platform to talk and trying to do what he perceives as something good in the world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The bit in bold is horse****. He's not a celebrity for a start ......... as you like him you swallow his spoof.

That's exactly the point!

And no, I do not swallow his spoof, I think that he takes a tricky subject, simplifies it and articulates it well.
    Whether I agree with said point is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Both example's should be noted that they both have mental health issues.

Let me tell you something Richard....we all have mental health issues, every single one of us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Let me tell you something Richard....we all have mental health issues, every single one of us.
    Eh no, we don't. People have their moments of emotional stresses and strains alright, just like people have their moments of emotional contentments. It's called the Human Condition. Now some of us do suffer from mental health issues and that needs addressing and they need help, but the human condition is not a mental health issue and I've a pain in my hoop with too many pushing to make it one. Never mind the gobsmackingly naive/idiotic who are trying to make mental issues in men a "feminist" issue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

optogirl wrote: »
    I have never heard the word nonce used to mean someone who speaks nonsense. Calling someone ignorant for reading the word as it is most commonly used? Where's your proof for this etymology? I think one guy once suggested that this could be where it came from but it is in no way a common or known way of using it.

From

'Linguist Jonathon Green suggests the word derives from nonsense. He quotes a reference from 1970 citing "nonces" as being short for "nonsenses" and an additional citation from 1999'

'Jonathon Green is often referred to as the English-speaking world's leading lexicographer of slang,[1] and has even been described as 'The most acclaimed British lexicographer.:)'

I'll take his word for it pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would agree. That he talks about young men's mental health is a good thing, but when he adds in that "feminism" is the positive in the fight to help young men, the same movement that spends a large proportion of its time directly telling the same men that they are to blame for all the ills of the world, hits the daft and irony button with equal vigour.

That said I can understand why he might believe this and there would be a generational thing going on. He's grown up, as many young men have, with that philosophy as a background, particularly if he grew up in a liberal/centre left environment*. The more he gets into show business the more that stuff will be reinforced(though as we've seen with Hollywood it's often a mask).

*nothing wrong with that BTW. I would class myself as an old style liberal.

Very true, I found it funny when he said 'I think you men need feminism' 'Feminism is a very necessary thing for young men' on the late late show chest puffed out like he was Martin Luther stating his I have a dream speech. Of course it was all effusive crap.

Stupid point and yet Tubs wouldn't ask him. Well men's mental health issues can be sorted without them supporting a movement that effectively vilifies them and blames them for everything don't you think there Blindboy?.

Nope never happen,Tubs is thick as a double ditch and Blindboy he's RTE's poster boy now.

You must remember anyone being pushed and promoted by RTE will never be allowed to tell the public the truth or anything close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

From

'Linguist Jonathon Green suggests the word derives from nonsense. He quotes a reference from 1970 citing "nonces" as being short for "nonsenses" and an additional citation from 1999'

'Jonathon Green is often referred to as the English-speaking world's leading lexicographer of slang,[1] and has even been described as 'The most acclaimed British lexicographer.:)'

'suggests'. His suggestion is also the last one provided on Wikipedia which is where you found it. It is not now, nor has it ever been used to describe somebody talking nonsense (apart from in your post). You conveniently ignored the first line of the entry which is 'In the United Kingdom, nonce is a slang word for a pariah within a community of prisoners, typically a sex offender, child sexual abuser or one who has turned state's evidence.'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Word derivation and word usage are two very different things. See words like "gay", "fag", etc. You might want to broaden your reading beyond etymology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

From

100358.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭Esel

PAL is short for Passive-Aggressive Language.

I prefer cryptographic nonces myself....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Eh no, we don't. People have their moments of emotional stresses and strains alright, just like people have their moments of emotional contentments. It's called the Human Condition. Now some of us do suffer from mental health issues and that needs addressing and they need help, but the human condition is not a mental health issue and I've a pain in my hoop with too many pushing to make it one. Never mind the gobsmackingly naive/idiotic who are trying to make mental issues in men a "feminist" issue.

Strange that Blindboy has the same thought process as you, If you had listened to him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I love that people think the ennis road in limerick is posh hahaha

I love that people think the ennis road in limerick is posh hahaha

Its leafy man. Trees arent cheap.

Don't think people realise its on the other side of the road as ballynanty and moyross.no trees there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Man that's actually laughable you haven t a clue what you re talking about yet you still decide to not listen to people who actually know Limerick because they are from there. The 2 choices you picked just prove it. Abbeyfeale is a small town which is practically in Kerry, and steamboat quay is not the best place to raise small kids considering its been bought up by vulcher funds who rent the apartments out to every drug dealer in town. Its party central down there from Thursday to Monday. Do you believe all the news you read in the papers or only the nonsence about Blindboy coming from the plush suburbs, Id say you d have no problem spotting fake news if it suited what you wanted to believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

listermint wrote: »
    Strange that Blindboy has the same thought process as you, If you had listened to him at all.
    Oh so he's not advocating "feminism" as the solution for young men? Could have fooled me Ted.

Straight from the placcy bag's mouth;

I quote: "What these young men need is feminism" then followed by the usual "patriarchy" and "neoliberal" stuff. Now on the surface it seems to make sense, especially the bit about guys getting down about "providing for women". Great. In theory. However the same young men he's speaking with are more in touch with the realities and the realities are that being broke will negatively impact a man's potential dating life. The "provider" role for men is present in every single culture throughout history and no amount of "gender studies" courses and wishful thinking in a generation will change it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh so he's not advocating "feminism" as the solution for young men? Could have fooled me Ted.

Straight from the placcy bag's mouth;

I quote: "What these young men need is feminism" then followed by the usual "patriarchy" and "neoliberal" stuff. Now on the surface it seems to make sense, especially the bit about guys getting down about "providing for women". Great. In theory. However the same young men he's speaking with are more in touch with the realities and the realities are that being broke will negatively impact a man's potential dating life. The "provider" role for men is present in every single culture throughout history and no amount of "gender studies" courses and wishful thinking in a generation will change it.

The point he is making is that a belief in traditional gender roles causes stress on certain men who as a result of neo liberal policies which were first championed by Reganomics and subsequently taken up by the EU have made it extermely difficult to live up to these standards of the male being the provider and anything less is a failure. It's obvious here that he is using feminism in the traditional sense of equality and not in the radical feminism that makes all the headlines these days. What do you think he means by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Blindboy is what I call a midwit.

Smart enough to understand the nonsense that is put into his head, but not smart enough to think around the theory. He's a useful idiot that appeals to other useful idiots.

Neoliberalism. Feminism. Liberalism. What big words will is use today? What trendy opinion will I espouse on the Late Late? Gobshìte.

These people are usually horrible to be around, as the old Dunning Kruger effect tends to kick in pretty quickly. There's no talking to them.

But mainly, he's not funny.

• Advertisement

Smart enough to understand the nonsense that is put into his head, but not smart enough to think around the theory. He's a useful idiot that appeals to other useful idiots.

Neoliberalism. Feminism. Liberalism. What big words will is use today? What trendy opinion will I espouse on the Late Late? Gobshìte.

These people are usually horrible to be around, as the old Dunning Kruger effect tends to kick in pretty quickly. There's no talking to them.

Neoliberalism and feminism might be big words to you but leave the rest of us out of it man.

Neoliberalism. Feminism. Liberalism. What big words will is use today? What trendy opinion will I espouse on the Late Late? Gobsh.

He's not funny..... In your opinion.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Man that's actually laughable you haven t a clue what you re talking about yet you still decide to not listen to people who actually know Limerick because they are from there. The 2 choices you picked just prove it. Abbeyfeale is a small town which is practically in Kerry, and steamboat quay is not the best place to raise small kids considering its been bought up by vulcher funds who rent the apartments out to every drug dealer in town. Its party central down there from Thursday to Monday. Do you believe all the news you read in the papers or only the nonsence about Blindboy coming from the plush suburbs, Id say you d have no problem spotting fake news if it suited what you wanted to believe.

Sure with the amazing public transport you could get from Abbeyfeale to the plush surrounds of the ennis road in no time. You could even go via steamboat quay and check in on everyone there who is passed out in a corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 benjibruiser

He's an even more annoying version of Russell Brand with a bag on his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So how does feminism deal with the scourge of neo-liberalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not sure why the background is an issue. He doesn't have to be from Moyross to be permitted an opinion or a career, does he?

Ipso wrote: »
    So how does feminism deal with the scourge of neo-liberalism?

It doesnt, but before neoliberalism when wages were decent and men went to work and had the kind of job security and workers rights that allowed banks to trust them with mortgages and women stayed at home to mind the kids the idea of the traditional role of the man as the breadwinner was feasible. All he is saying is that it's no longer feasible for a lot of men so rather than clinging to that gender role it would be wiser for men to embrace the notion of equality between the sexes and deal with the reality of society as it is. I've a feeling that the word feminism causes an emotional reaction for a lot of men and their critical faculties get hijacked which in a way is understandable due to the fact that radical feminism seems to get all the headlines I 've a feeling that had he used the word equality instead of feminism there would be far less furore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

It doesnt, but before neoliberalism when wages were decent and men went to work and had the kind of job security and workers rights that allowed banks to trust them with mortgages and women stayed at home to mind the kids the idea of the traditional role of the man as the breadwinner was feasible. All he is saying is that it's no longer feasible for a lot of men so rather than clinging to that gender role it would be wiser for men to embrace the notion of equality between the sexes and deal with the reality of society as it is. I've a feeling that the word feminism causes an emotional reaction for a lot of men and their critical faculties get hijacked which in a way is understandable due to the fact that radical feminism seems to get all the headlines I 've a feeling that had he used the word equality instead of feminism there would be far less furore.

I like the fact that he diagnosed the problems of an entire generation of young men by talking to his mates, what an intellect!

I think that he meant feminism the modern movement, because when you look at the fact that far more successful acts than the Rubberbandits are saying that it's hard to make a living from the music business the neverending gravy train that is RTE must be very enticing.

I just hope that any young man that is suffering from real problems doesn't take his at best naively gullible, at worst self-servingly wayward advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So things were grand before neoliberalism when wimmin were at home?
    Doesn't equality mean women are free to work where they want, aspire to be in roles of power like men etc
    One could argue that having two wage earners in a family causes as much trouble as (similar to cheap credit) more money becomes available and when there is more money then there is a knock on effect of high prices.
    I think neoliberalism is a bit of a simplistic bogey man, personally I think the worlds economy is too reliant on financial services, and another thing is that poorer countries are now catching up and competing with the rest of the world.
    When rejecting neoliberalism should we leave less developed countries on the slag heap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I thought they were mildly entertaining at first. Horse Outside was funny. After that they gradually became more iritating. As a Limerick man, I also think they are inadvertently another negative association to the city we don't really need, comedy or not. You don't want people to think of Limerick and think of some twat with a bag on his head.

Since they have 'gone political' I have no time for them, they don't have the aptitude for it. Hearing them lecture us on the Late Late was really annoying. That show on the Rising was ****e too.

Advertisement