Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

Dannyriver wrote: »
    I know I ve also seen loads of people refer to David Jones as David Bowie, and Reginald Dwight as Elton John even Robert Zimmerman as Bob Dylan on other sites incredible isn t it .....? You absolute {expletive of choice}

I just spat out my tea reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know I ve also seen loads of people refer to David Jones as David Bowie, and Reginald Dwight as Elton John even Robert Zimmerman as Bob Dylan on other sites incredible isn t it .....? You absolute {expletive of choice}

You are very, shall we say, dedicated to them. Also lol at putting Blindboy in the same breath as Elton John, Dylan and Bowie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The Blindboy Moment

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Meatloaf made a pretty great career for himself too, and Bono, and Pelé...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's cool and all but literally it's all you post about. Have you opinions on anything else at all besides the Rubberbandits?

Lots of different opinions about lots of different things, but I don t spend a whole lot of time expressing them on sites like these. Not that I feel there s anything wrong with boards, in fact there are some excellent intelligent contributors here particularly among the moderators who always display restraint and fairness in the face of fierce stupidity at times. But, I ve been doing my best to keep my social media quota down in recent years as it impedes other areas of my life that I've prioritised, so in short I dont have time. However, every now and then I drop in here if I remember or like in this case boards tweeted this thread and I became aware of it. So I posted a few in an attempt to put a bit of balance on the argument and call out falacies it doesn't t take me long to drop a few comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Has Boatclub ever appeared out of character in the media?

It might give him more credability to separate the character from the actual person.

Real name, real accent and no bag.

He addressed this in an interview - I think it was on Scroobius Pip's podcast - he enjoys living a normal life and most people don't recognise him so the bag serves that purpose as well as immediately making him into a character.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You are very, shall we say, dedicated to them. Also lol at putting Blindboy in the same breath as Elton John, Dylan and Bowie.

I think you didn t fully understand the point I was making. Perhaps you should read it again and also what I was replying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

optogirl wrote: »
    He addressed this in an interview - I think it was on Scroobius Pip's podcast - he enjoys living a normal life and most people don't recognise him so the bag serves that purpose as well as immediately making him into a character.

also just recently in one of the new podcast episodes. He likes that he was able to get sick on the street in Dublin without anyone taking pictures of him and he likes the idea he could move to Leitrim to become an accountant if he ever wanted to pack in being famous.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

optogirl wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/scroobiuspip/videos/1594534733926000/

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People in the entertainment industry are addicted to attention and praise. Like Niall Brezzy Breslin, after his entertainment career peaked, Mr Boatclub then started to share "social Justice" opinions and drew praise from tiny but vocal quarters. This got him on TV more often and had his persona explode back into the attention.

Both example's should be noted that they both have mental health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eh... wut?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

People in the entertainment industry are addicted to attention and praise. Like Niall Brezzy Breslin, after his entertainment career peaked, Mr Boatclub then started to share "social Justice" opinions and drew praise from tiny but vocal quarters. This got him on TV more often and had his persona explode back into the attention.

Oh man, everyone has mental health issues at one stage in their life Richard even you, that s exactly the point that they are making. The reason we struggle in western society around mental health is the result of exactly the approach you are taking where its an 'us and them' situation. i'e your line 'Both example's should be noted that they both have mental health issues.' somehow separating them as two people who should be taken less seriously due to their condition. Richard the brain is the most complex organ in the body and just like any other organ it can struggle when its put under stress. This can happen to anyone at any stage and its the normalisation of this reality that will hopefully someday allow people to put their hand up and ask for help when they are struggling in the same way they would without fear go to the doctor if they had an infection to a different more acceptable organ in their body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ. Do you even know what the word "nonce" usually means in the slang of these islands? You've literally no idea what you're posting here. No clue at all.

Haha I have to laugh at your total ignorance masked as righteous indignation. I mean you take slang meaning of a word over the real literal meaning?.

In etymology (study or origin of words) the word nonce comes from nonsense thus a nonce is someone who speaks nonsense and its not the slang made up meaning of a paedophile. Im using the real meaning not the made up one.Some of us try use language correctly pal and dont have to resort to slang crap.

Note- Jesus wasn't a tap dancer he is and always will be Messiah and Salvation.
    Praise him!.

Haha I have to laugh at your total ignorance masked as righteous indignation. I mean you take slang meaning of a word over the real literal meaning?.

In etymology (study or origin of words) the word nonce comes from nonsense thus a nonce is someone who speaks nonsense and its not the slang made up meaning of a paedophile. Im using the real meaning not the made up one.Some of us try use language correctly pal and dont have to resort to slang crap.

Praise him!.

I have never heard the word nonce used to mean someone who speaks nonsense. Calling someone ignorant for reading the word as it is most commonly used? Where's your proof for this etymology? I think one guy once suggested that this could be where it came from but it is in no way a common or known way of using it.

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh man, everyone has mental health issues at one stage in their life Richard even you,
    Eh... no they don't. A large proportion, if not the majority of people have gone and go through life without mental health problems. That's part of the problem with mental health stuff these days. The inference is everyone is or should be brought under this umbrella. We've over medicalised and defined the parameters of mental health problems. Look to the US as an example of how the narrative has unfolded, where doctors, usually GP's who are not qualified enough in the area, prescribe anti depressants for things like grief, exam stress and the emotions of breakups.
    The reason we struggle in western society around mental health is the result of exactly the approach you are taking where its an 'us and them' situation.
    Again what? Western society has by a goodly long way the most avenues and treatments and understanding of mental health issues. One could even suggest western society is obsessed over it. And yet the increase in mental health problems goes on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Praise him!.

Naw id say he called you out correctly so you re making a whole lot of **** up about 'some of us try using language correctly pal'. I think it's reasonable to assume that most people use words based on how they are socially used at the time of speaking unless the person saying them is pretty pretentious/eccentric or both. Apologies if you are pretentious/eccentric or both .

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh... no they don't. A large proportion, if not the majority of people have gone and go through life without mental health problems. That's part of the problem with mental health stuff these days. The inference is everyone is or should be brought under this umbrella. We've over medicalised and defined the parameters of mental health problems. Look to the US as an example of how the narrative has unfolded, where doctors, usually GP's who are not qualified enough in the area, prescribe anti depressants for things like grief, exam stress and the emotions of breakups. Again what? Western society has by a goodly long way the most avenues and treatments and understanding of mental health issues. One could even suggest western society is obsessed over it. And yet the increase in mental health problems goes on.

I think you misinterpreted my use of 'mental health issues' as 'mental illness' Regarding mental illness i agree with you. I also agree/know that GP s aren t qualified nor have the time to deal with basic mental health issues of their clients and tend to use the medical model far too broadly. We need a proactive approach to education around mental health fitness[resilience] from an early age and also teachers and carers of young people need to be educated around same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You can listen to him, but you don't have to agree with everything. And that's fine.

It has been a fantastic podcast so far. I can't understand people getting so up in arms about a man trying to get other men to talk about their mental health, it's very strange behaviour.

Dave (if people want to go down that route) is an intelligent man, some people seem to be blinded to this fact by the character he plays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

c_man wrote: »
    No idea mate. I know they had a show two or three years back and haven't been on since (UK tv) so I just assumed cancelled. It's not exactly like it's Sherlock or something

So you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. I’m glad we can agree.

Sold out shows, part of one tv series and 2 series of their own. An unqualified success if you ask me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Brian? wrote: »
    So you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. I’m glad we can agree.

Sold out shows, part of one tv series and 2 series of their own. An unqualified success if you ask me.

What is this an argument for? The alleged singers One Direction have sold out concerts all over the world. Just because they sell a lot of tickets doesn't mean they have anything interesting to say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What is this an argument for? The alleged singers One Direction have sold out concerts all over the world. Just because they sell a lot of tickets doesn't mean they have anything interesting to say.

I'm responding to a poster who said they've had no success outside ireland. This is incorrect. That's all.

I do think Blindboy has a lot of interesting things to say, but there's no point in arguing that as it's completely subjective.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It was suggested that Blindboy has turned to talking about mental health because his work otherwise isn't successful, which is untrue. The rubberbandits are successful.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's essentially so he can have a life outside of the celebrity circus.

I like him and I like what he has to say.

The bit in bold is horse****. He's not a celebrity for a start ......... as you like him you swallow his spoof.
    By all accounts they were not the Liberal lads they like make out from their School days.

Indeed. He's full of ****. He was spoofing on about none of his peers or friends own a home or are hoping to buy as they can't afford it a couple of years back.

He's from a well to do part of Limerick so unless he doesn't talk to anyone he went to school with / doesn't know them he's a spoofer.

Jumping from homelessness to depression to get his plastic bag clad head on TV etc ......... a tool of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Augeo wrote: »

He's from a well to do part of Limerick so unless he doesn't talk to anyone he went to school with / doesn't know them he's a spoofer.

Jumping from homelessness to depression to get his plastic bag clad head on TV etc ......... a tool of the highest order.

I'm guessing he's in his late 20s or early 30s?

That's the same age bracket as me. I'm from a 'well-to-do' part of Galway, and afaik none of my friends in Ireland have purchased properties off their own bat.

elefant wrote: »
    I'm guessing he's in his late 20s or early 30s?..............

I'd think he's 33 at least.

Galway house prices are a tad higher than Limerick to be fair.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/jokers-unmasked-as-middleclass-lads-26607316.html

"From the very plush Ennis Road area of Limerick, Chambers is described locally as the brains of the operation................
    Chambers also attended Limerick School of Art and Design as a student of graphics and is understood to be completing a masters in psychology"

no but they can sing & they sing catchy pop tunes aimed at the very demographic who love them. Not my cup of tea but your average 13 year old thinks they're fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The bit in bold is horse****. He's not a celebrity for a start ......... as you like him you swallow his spoof.

Indeed. He's full of ****. He was spoofing on about none of his peers or friends own a home or are hoping to buy as they can't afford it a couple of years back.

He's basically Wesley Quirke with a Bressie complex.

See more of it absolute lies from someone who clearly doesn t know him. He was born and raised in a very modest 3 bedroom house and comes from a very large family , they were in no way well to do and none of his friends can afford to get on the property ladder me included because the bank wont give them a loan in my case because of the ridiculous wage I get for what traditionally would be seen as a good job. For spoof take a look closer to home you dont know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

See more of it absolute lies from someone who clearly doesn t know him. He was born and raised in a very modest 3 bedroom house and comes from a very large family , they were in no way well to do and none of his friends can afford to get on the property ladder me included because the bank wont give them a loan in my case because of the ridiculous wage I get for what traditionally would be seen as a good job. For spoof take a look closer to home you dont know what you are talking about.

lol

hate to be you bud

I'm sure you could afford this http://www.daft.ie/limerick/houses-for-sale/abbeyfeale/7-old-church-street-abbeyfeale-limerick-1516276/ if you have the traditionally good job you claim you have

or this http://www.daft.ie/limerick/apartments-for-sale/limerick-city/24-steamboat-quay-limerick-city-limerick-1564631/

Advertisement