Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The problem with your suggestion is that Blindboy often operates on a level that is, arguably, above that of his critics. He's a very eloquent and well-read man. His thick accent seems to belie this, especially when it comes to people who haven't really listened to him before trying to argue with him.

The Joe Duffy interview when they had first broke through was particular gold here.

Never listened to him, never will. Read written articles about him and not gone on him/them.
    I understand daft punk doing the mask thing; Sia too, but a serious gulf in talent exists between those three.

Stature sure, but I wouldn't say on talent. And within Ireland they're extremely well known so it would be a big issue. Well ok, maybe on Daft Punk, but I'd have them as one of the best and maybe most influential acts of the last 50 odd years! :pac:

The begrudgery line...yawn....not everyone has to take his nonsense like men need feminism/sjw bandwagon for gospel..

There definitely is an element of it in my experience though to be honest - in plenty of other places if John across the office gets promoted I've seen a lot more congratulating and others trying to raise themselves to John's achievements abroad, while by comparison in Ireland I notice more of a grumbling about how John didn't deserve the reward and attempts to drag him down.

Very broad stroke that of course, and doesn't even nearly apply to everyone. But it's a definite difference in Ireland compared to other countries I've lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Sky King wrote: »
    People do know this is a character right? And not an actual person?

Does it strike anyone else as strange that a made-up persona with a fake voice, parody accent and a fking plastic bag on his head is treated like a normal, regular person in debates and current affairs TV shows? And given the same credibility and respect as an actual real person?

Alternatively if you prefer holding on to the bag, you could try going back to... you know... being funny. And less preachy.

Man you come across way more preachy than Blindboy. You are worried about fake accents yet half the population of the east coast just took it upon themselves to make up and accent to sound more affluent and to distinguish themselves from the more working class people.

His persona is just that. Nobody is themselves on tv for chri$t sake! Its time people started to look past the exterior and see what these people actually have to say. There is an orange man with fake hair running the most powerful country in the world but now when he speaks people listen. they may not agree but hey not everyone looks like you or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

I'm in my early 30s and of my close friends and even extended friends I can think of 2 who own their own houses.

Thank you it's infuriating having people come on here stating that most people in their early 30's own their own houses. I was asked by the bank if I have a partner to which I said yes and it was wink/winkl suggested that if I married her they d review my mortgage request because she s earning a ****ty wage with 1 year contracts also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Mod
    Please don't try to link any account here to someone in real life. It's against the charter.

Regards,

BlindBoy
    Boom_Bap

It's the same initials - I knew it!!!!!! ;)

(Please don't ban me, I've just settled in!!!)

"horsesh1t" indeed.

You must surely realise that there was a prolonged recession in this country which resulted in thousands and thousands of young people emigrating to Australia, Canada, the USA, Britain, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and elsewhere. Those of us who stayed behind in Limerick were limited to very unstable working prospects. Tradesmen were out of work with the lack of building projects in the area so the old reliable apprenticeship of the boom years disappeared too. Limerick City had an unemployment rate in the 20-27% range for much of the last few years. What cash-strapped financial institution is going to offer money to young lads who might only be working three days a week?

The Limerick Re-generation project ground to a halt after the initial stage where a load of properties were demolished in various housing estates. The promised new homes still haven't been built in any appreciable numbers.

Even among my own graduating class of newly qualified teachers (approx 400 young workers in 2010 when mature students are taken out of the equation) I'd estimate that less than 10% have homes of their now. The ones who do have mortgages are mostly married to other teachers, and I know from close friends that they still struggle to cover bills despite combining incomes from a traditionally "safe" profession.

I can think of 4 lads from my Leaving Cert class who became doctors and even they've been moving from one short-term rent for another while they try to get a foot-hold in different hospitals. Out of the 150 of us who did the LC together, I'd say maybe 20% are still living in and around Limerick. Everyone left when they had the chance. They're all in Dublin or the UK now, or on the other side of the planet.

Fair play to you for this post I actually started one explaining this and I didn't have the stomach for it, sometimes it's not worth the bother. Some people were posting Abbeyfeale as viable property for people living in Limerick.

"horsesh1t" indeed.

You must surely realise that there was a prolonged recession in this country which resulted in thousands and thousands of young people emigrating to Australia, Canada, the USA, Britain, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, and elsewhere. Those of us who stayed behind in Limerick were limited to very unstable working prospects. Tradesmen were out of work with the lack of building projects in the area so the old reliable apprenticeship of the boom years disappeared too. Limerick City had an unemployment rate in the 20-27% range for much of the last few years. What cash-strapped financial institution is going to offer money to young lads who might only be working three days a week?

The Limerick Re-generation project ground to a halt after the initial stage where a load of properties were demolished in various housing estates. The promised new homes still haven't been built in any appreciable numbers.

Even among my own graduating class of newly qualified teachers (approx 400 young workers in 2010 when mature students are taken out of the equation) I'd estimate that less than 10% have homes of their now. The ones who do have mortgages are mostly married to other teachers, and I know from close friends that they still struggle to cover bills despite combining incomes from a traditionally "safe" profession.

I can think of 4 lads from my Leaving Cert class who became doctors and even they've been moving from one short-term rent for another while they try to get a foot-hold in different hospitals. Out of the 150 of us who did the LC together, I'd say maybe 20% are still living in and around Limerick. Everyone left when they had the chance. They're all in Dublin or the UK now, or on the other side of the planet.

So how does your speel make his claim not horsesh1t?

"Blindboy claims NONE of his friends/peers have done so, completely unbelievable and so utter horsesh1t."

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Thank you it's infuriating having people come on here stating that most people in their early 30's own their own houses. I was asked by the bank if I have a partner to which I said yes and it was wink/winkl suggested that if I married her they d review my mortgage request because she s earning a ****ty wage with 1 year contracts also.

You seem aggrieved that you are on a sh1tty wage, you should channel your energies into bettering your career etc.
    Most people in their early 30s might be doing better than you, that accepted they might be in a better position to buy a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Billy86 wrote: »
    Is it going to be the one everyone sees in a t-shirt and shorts, or the one everyone sees in a helmet with a visor that completely blocks out their face?

You don't live in a hurling county, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Augeo wrote: »

"Blindboy claims NONE of his friends/peers have done so, completely unbelievable and so utter horsesh1t."

Do you know his friends? Do you know for a fact that any of them own houses?

Are you from Limerick?

• Advertisement

You re trolling now clearly , if you re going to base everything of what Insect said there negated by the use of the word 'NONE' , that s school yard debating.

You seem aggrieved that you are on a sh1tty wage, you should channel your energies into bettering your career etc.
    Most people in their early 30s might be doing better than you, that accepted they might be in a better position to buy a home.

Ill ignore your patronising advice just to say that Im in a career that I love but unless the situation with no long term contracts low wages/no mortgage and hi house prices changes, I ll have to emigrate just like all the nurses and teachers are doing.

You re trolling now clearly , if you re going to base everything of what Insect said there negated by the use of the word 'NONE' , that s school yard debating.

Well my point is that blindboy uses the word NONE and that's horsesh1t.
    NONE is key to my point.

I'm 37 myself, I wasn't immune to the recession either. I worked through it rather than p1ssing and moaning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

But they re not you see. They've been consistently talking about all those issues and in the case of suicide google 'Sonny' [which was their last song release] feminism and drug use read his book or listen to his podcast. Mind you your statement would look like it was a good summation if it was true.

I’m aware of their output. I actually quite like their comedy and their songs. I’ve been to see them as well.

A couple of years ago recreational drug use was a big thing for them. I haven’t heard reference of that since then. Same with all the craic around 1916. There are still commemorations and various events happening all the time but these lads have abandoned that cash cow to move on to something else.

............... I ll have to emigrate just like all the nurses and teachers are doing.

Ah come on, let's not get carried away now.

c_man wrote: »
    You don't live in a hurling county, do you?
    Even most of the more famous hurlers can take an hour drive a county or two away and not be noticed on the street. They're known locally, not nationally (or internationally) which you yourself pointed out in this post. Meanwhile Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Brian O'Driscoll or Paul O'Connell are going to get recognised by most people anywhere they go in the country, and probably the UK too for that matter.

NONE is key to my point.

I'm 37 myself, I wasn't immune to the recession either. I worked through it rather than p1ssing and moaning though.

So if he d said only one or two of my friends you d have found him more credible yeah?

NONE is key to my point.

Jesus why didn't we all think of that!? Just keep in employment with a steady income through the recession. Simple. It was so f***ing obvious!!

Even most of the more famous hurlers can take an hour drive a county or two away and not be noticed on the street. They're known locally, not nationally (or internationally) which you yourself pointed out in this post.

It was an example, not a direct comparison. Of course a hurler wouldn't be recognised internationally :confused: Just like Steven gerrad wouldn't, nor the yank.
    Meanwhile Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Brian O'Driscoll or Paul O'Connell are going to get recognised by most people anywhere they go in the country, and probably the UK too for that matter.

I'd put money on all of those being unrecognised walking down your average UK street. Put a hat on PoC to cover up the ears to stop any passing wondering.

But it's beside the point really. If he says he wants it for that reason, then right. He knows it'll take away from what's said, meh so be it.

If Fintain o'Toole only wore a Darth Vader mask when appearing on tv discussion and live debates, and only spoke on them through a voice modulator, people would question that too and it would take away from anything said.

It was an example, not a direct comparison. Of course a hurler wouldn't be recognised internationally :confused: Just like Steven gerrad wouldn't, nor the yank.
    Erm... if you live anywhere but England you just recognised Steven Gerrard internationally!? I'd be sure 90% of people in this thread did, if not more. :confused:

Meanwhile you conceded that they would be known all over their home countries, which are 65mn with a big chunk of land and 320mn with one of the largest landmasses of any country in the world; that's more than a little different to Kerry or Kilkenny with their 150k and 25k populations don't you think?
    I'd put money on all of those being unrecognised walking down your average UK street. Put a hat on PoC to cover up the ears to stop any passing wondering.
    I wouldn't, especially Keane and Duff - they'd be recognised about as quickly as you recognised Steven Gerrard.
    But it's beside the point really. If he says he wants it for that reason, then right. He knows it'll take away from what's said, meh so be it.

If Fintain o'Toole only wore a Darth Vader mask when appearing on tv discussion and live debates, and only spoke on them through a voice modulator, people would question that too and it would take away from anything said.
    It's an interesting one though, what about someone who wears a wig and uses a posh accent or 'phone voice' as some call it when on air? I mean they are disguising their looks and putting on a fake voice.

• Advertisement

So if he d said only one or two of my friends you d have found him more credible yeah?

If he told the factual truth and didn't hop from homelessness, depression, male suicide etc etc etc depending on what was the populist speel to spout I'd find him more credible.
    Jesus why didn't we all think of that!? Just keep in employment with a steady income through the recession. Simple. It was so f***ing obvious!!

self employment in my case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Steven Gerrard would get recognised worldwide and he has been retired a few years.

And fair play to you on it, but the thing about Ireland being arguably the worst hit country (with considerable external dependencies) in the worst recession/depression/etc the world has seen in close to a century is that everyone just getting a job or starting/maintaining a company is that it literally just is not possible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Steven Gerrard would get recognised worldwide and he has been retired a few years.

When he first went to LA he was delighted that he could become part of society again as he wasn't recognised popping out to get a pint of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Drop a pin on a map anywhere in USA, i'd guarantee 95% of the people in the nearest town wouldn't have a clue who Gerrard was

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If he told the factual truth and didn't hop from homelessness, depression, male suicide etc etc etc depending on what was the populist speel to spout I'd find him more credible.

They're all inter-linked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Hence why you're on Boards during the work day :pac:

Erm... if you live anywhere but England you just recognised Steven Gerrard internationally!? I'd be sure 90% of people in this thread did, if not more. :confused:

Actually I do live in England :P I'm not going down that rabbit hole, it's going nowhere.
    It's an interesting one though, what about someone who wears a wig and uses a posh accent or 'phone voice' as some call it when on air? I mean they are disguising their looks and putting on a fake voice.

I'm not sure of any such people offhand (I'm sure there are some) but yeah if it detracts from the substance, then it's a pretty stupid thing to do. Actually the fact that I can't think of any others probably points to them doing it effectively.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    When he first went to LA he was delighted that he could become part of society again as he wasn't recognised popping out to get a pint of milk.
    Yeah that's true, he'd be really well known in most corners of the world but North America is a little different in that sense. Henry said something similar about being able to get the subway around NY, which I'm guessing was not a realistic option for him with the London Tube. I also remember seeing Giovinco on two separate occasions pushing around his baby's buggy that he could barely see over the top of (which was pretty gas to see with the pedestals athletes get placed on) around Toronto. I wouldn't say they'd be recognised in every country in the world just like Aaron Rodgers could walk around Dublin for the day barely noticed.

• Advertisement

Actually I do live in England :P I'm not going down that rabbit hole, it's going nowhere.

I'm not sure of any such people offhand (I'm sure there are some) but yeah if it detracts from the substance, then it's a pretty stupid thing to do. Actually the fact that I can't think of any others probably points to them doing it effectively.
    Touché! :D

By the way it's an oldie but you should pop 'ghetto news reporter' into Google for the laugh if you've not seen it. The US president and the former mayor of London quickly spring to mind as two people who are (supposed to!) be dealing with very serious issues while in wigs (that thing has to be a f***ing wig, right!?).

Advertisement