Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x09 – "Into the Forest I Go" [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not what I mean, Star Trek has always had a growth character who the audience look at the future humanity through.
    Saru, so far for me, is not that character.

Burnham is, ironically, alien to humanity. She identifies as Vulcan (culturally and ideologically) and is starting, only after pilot episode and fallout, to recognise her humanity.

Just because she is human doesn't mean that she's not alien

This is starting to get tedious. Go back and look through my posts at the point I'm making. I don't contend what you are saying, that Michael is that "searching for humanity" character. I never have, but you keep ignoring the point I'm making (which is about Saru).

To make it easy, the bit I wrote, that you first quoted me on was this...
    Saru himself fills the role of "alien bridge character" very well and is a pleasant move away from a logic-based species (Vulcan, Android) we get in most series (with the exception of DS9).

You focused on the "logic" bit as if that is the defining characteristic of a Star Trek alien. You state that Michael is the show's "alien" because she fills the "searching for humanity / logic" role. I do not disagree that she fills that role, I'm merely saying the Saru is the "alien" of this show and he's not a species based on logic (nor interested in finding his humanity either). It's fine and great that Michael fills THAT role but she is not the shows feature alien character. For a start she's human!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

the security on the klingon ship throughout the series has been terrible. Security cameras?
    Actually not that far-fetched IMO. When you have advanced internal sensors, then a CCTV camera would seem like stone-age and pointless technology to put in. And it stands to reason that any tech which "masks" you on internal sensors to appear Klingon, would probably make you appear Klingon on a video camera.
    stamet was giving off very unsubtle Im going to do something wierd with my 'one last jump' vibes that Lorca must have picked up on that tried to stop it, but it didn't stop stamet?
    I think that was intentionally foreboding/misdirecting. Stamets just wanted to be done with it, he was going to quit, and he had experienced a new outlook on existence from the crazy jumps.

I half guessed that Lorca had interfered, but the screenshot confirms it.

Probably he saw that Stamets was going to drop out of the programme, the Admiral was going to have him relieved of command, so he took that one last chance to explore what he had been tracking in the spore jumps. He stated that with more data it might be possible to travel to alternate universes. 133 jumps is a lot more data...
    And Stamets' ramblings after the jump about being able to see everything, fits with the theory that they've travelled to the mirror universe.

I wonder what the importance of the number "133" is though? The ship had to make 133 jumps to gather enough intel on the Klingons, but the screenshot shows "Jump 133 - Unknown". So that's obviously a log of other jumps that were made rather than the ones around the Klingon ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Goodshape wrote: »
    Lorca was very quick to suggest she goes in place of Sarek. I'm pretty convinced he knew what he was doing.

Also, form this episode, regarding the final jump, it wasn't given enough time to be seen in the episode so I'll spoiler it, but it was there in freeze-frame
    Lorca uses his chair-console to override the final jump at the last moment, right before he says "let's go home".

This for me is another example of the influence Westworld has had on the show,
    as there was a lot of on console screen hints to what was really going o
    n, the opening credits sequence also so similar in musical/visual feel that I took it as a nod to WW

strawdog wrote: »
    This for me is another example of the influence Westworld has had on the show,
    as there was a lot of on console screen hints to what was really going o
    n, the opening credits sequence also so similar in musical/visual feel that I took it as a nod to WW

I have to disagree with you there with regards to the opening credits. That's more Bryan Fuller than Westworld. They're very similar to his other shows; American Gods and Hannibal.

seamus wrote: »
    I wonder what the importance of the number "133" is though? The ship had to make 133 jumps to gather enough intel on the Klingons, but the screenshot shows "Jump 133 - Unknown". So that's obviously a log of other jumps that were made rather than the ones around the Klingon ship.

This confuses me too, I thought they did 133 jumps just to get the readings from the Klingon ship. So shouldn't it be jump 134.... or jump 215 or something since they've already been jumping a lot during the war. It seems too much of a coincidence of it being a log of other jumps and it just happened to be jump 133.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

In computer programming, lists almost always start at zero rather than one. It could be just that.

In computer programming, lists almost always start at zero rather than one. It could be just that.

Maybe... seems like an unnecessary complication for a simple visual cue. Particularly when there is no real significance of what number jump it was - all that is important is that we see Lorca overrode the last jump - unless there is significance... in which case surely clarity is key.

As they were doing the final few jumps, did they show what number they ended on?

Bacchus wrote: »
    Maybe... seems like an unnecessary complication for a simple visual cue. Particularly when there is no real significance of what number jump it was - all that is important is that we see Lorca overrode the last jump - unless there is significance... in which case surely clarity is key.

As they were doing the final few jumps, did they show what number they ended on?

It does seem unnecessary. Just checked the episode again (T:17:58) and it shows the last sequenced jump on screen as "133" with the same "071-MARK-x" notation. Later, in the screenshot I posted above, "133" is shown as "Unknown".

Maybe that's just an annoying mistake. He definitely looked a little shifty as he quickly tapped at his console, and that screen definitely read "override" and "unknown".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭corkie

It does seem unnecessary. Just checked the episode again (T:17:58) and it shows the last sequenced jump on screen as "133" with the same "071-MARK-x" notation. Later, in the screenshot I posted above, "133" is shown as "Unknown".

'Star Trek: Discovery' Fall Finale Had A 'Battlestar Galactica' Easter Egg

The number of jumps Stamets needs to make is not random. The Star Trek: Discovery aftershow After Trek revealed that writers Erika Lippoldt & Bo Yeon Kim chose the number 133 as a reference to the award-winning Battlestar Galactica episode “33,” which was written by Ronald D. Moore, a key writer/producer on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager, as well as the co-writer of the films Star Trek Generations and Star Trek: First Contact.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

True but usually when outputting the data to a user the list will start with 1. Also, this isn't computer programming it's a TV show, most of the viewers wouldn't know that lists usually start with a 0 in computer programming so the creators of the TV show should and probably do take that into account.

• Advertisement

True but usually when outputting the data to a user the list will start with 1. Also, this isn't computer programming it's a TV show, most of the viewers wouldn't know that lists usually start with a 0 in computer programming so the creators of the TV show should and probably do take that into account.

It's not a computer program but it is technical. I've seen others praising the medical scenes for using the correct treatments / measurements, which isn't something I'd ever pick up on, so having a list starting at zero isn't totally out of the question.

But I agree, when displaying a list that usually wouldn't be the case, and the final jump is shown to be 133 earlier (not 132), so it's probably something else. Pretty annoying if it's just a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lorca was very quick to suggest she goes in place of Sarek. I'm pretty convinced he knew what he was doing.

Also, form this episode, regarding the final jump, it wasn't given enough time to be seen in the episode so I'll spoiler it, but it was there in freeze-frame
    Lorca uses his chair-console to override the final jump at the last moment, right before he says "let's go home".
    I noticed that earlier.He encrypted it, manually put in the coordinates and knew exactly where he was going.
    spookwoman wrote: »
    Whats Lorca up to with the encrypted navigation, manual coordinates and spore jump 133 destination unknown. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Actually not that far-fetched IMO. When you have advanced internal sensors, then a CCTV camera would seem like stone-age and pointless technology to put in. And it stands to reason that any tech which "masks" you on internal sensors to appear Klingon, would probably make you appear Klingon on a video camera.

I think that was intentionally foreboding/misdirecting. Stamets just wanted to be done with it, he was going to quit, and he had experienced a new outlook on existence from the crazy jumps.

I half guessed that Lorca had interfered, but the screenshot confirms it.

Probably he saw that Stamets was going to drop out of the programme, the Admiral was going to have him relieved of command, so he took that one last chance to explore what he had been tracking in the spore jumps. He stated that with more data it might be possible to travel to alternate universes. 133 jumps is a lot more data...
    And Stamets' ramblings after the jump about being able to see everything, fits with the theory that they've travelled to the mirror universe.

I was 132 jumps the ship had to make to gather enough intel on the Klingons and jump 133 was the last one the Stammets made. I doubt it includes a log of all the other jumps they have made so far as it would be a lot more then. Id say they are in the computer under a different file or folder.
    I think Stammet had had enough of the jumps and just wanted to get home.
    Lorca might have ha other ideas and wanted to go somewhere else.

AMKC wrote: »
    I was 132 jumps the ship had to make to gather enough intel on the Klingons and jump 133 was the last one the Stammets made.
    I went back and checked :) It was 133.

Seems a bit sloppy for the purposes of an easter egg...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Actually something I found very interesting with this is how the two of them got into a fighting stance before they were beamed over. This has never really been done before, with people standing awkwardly.

Oh yeah that reminds me, i thought they always had to be still during the transport?? wasn't that in an episode of one of the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭corkie

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh yeah that reminds me, i thought they always had to be still during the transport?? wasn't that in an episode of one of the series?

Don't know where you got that from Micheal was beamed out, while in mid air.

Also from the recent movies, wasn't Kirk saved from a parachute accident where he was falling to his death.

If they are still, it just makes it easier to get a pattern lock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

corkie wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that from Micheal was beamed out, while in mid air.

Also from the recent movies, wasn't Kirk saved from a parachute accident where he was falling to his death.

If they are still, it just makes it easier to get a pattern lock.

That's why i'm asking ... i must be thinking of an ep where they were already having issues with getting a pattern lock, you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

ezra_ wrote: »
    I've mentioned this here before - the transporter is actually the ultimate weapon when it comes to space battles. Something that seems to be forgotten about when it comes to space battles!!

You could explain it away by saying that the transporters use so much power that you can't use/recharge phasers and use the transporters at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

At this midway point, I'm a little uncertain about the show. The positives are by far Michael and Lorca. I'm struggling to warm to the rest of the crew. The plot isn't terribly interesting either and is playing it safe for the most part. That being said, I'm aware that Trek shows have a history of starting poorly and getting better in future seasons. That is reassuring and Discovery certainly isn't bad, just a little mundane.

The biggest problem I have is the portrayal of the Klingons. Maybe I'm biased because I'm such a fan of TNG and DS9, but I still can't really identify them as Klingons but rather just a generic threatening alien species. I saw this on another forum and it perfectly sums up my thoughts about it, so I'll quote it exactly.
    Klingons in the TNG era were rowdy, boastful, hard fighting, hard drinking warriors. Like Vikings but with a code of honour akin to the Samurai.

Klingons here are completely humourless so far, rigid, stiff. I understand they wanted to make them look more alien, but make them interesting!

That female Klingon being captured should be interesting though.

Anyway, I still look forward to each episode.

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's why i'm asking ... i must be thinking of an ep where they were already having issues with getting a pattern lock, you're right
    In Enterprise, transporters were new technology and I recall there being a lot of technical "issues" with them such as that. I'll admit I gave up on ENT after 2/3 seasons, so I could be wrong, but maybe that's what you're thinking of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

There was a pattern lock issue at the very start of the first episode with the other ship because the planet or its atmosphere was dodgy if I remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

In Enterprise, transporters were new technology and I recall there being a lot of technical "issues" with them such as that. I'll admit I gave up on ENT after 2/3 seasons, so I could be wrong, but maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Sure there were still Transporter issues on Voyager. 'Tuvix' if I remember.

If you gave up after season 2 you made a mistake.

Season 3 is more like today's story telling with a season long arc and 4 has great mini arcs, was just coming into its own

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so is there is reason why the klingon make up was so heavy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I'm blaming high definition 65" widescreen 4K OLED televisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Evade

What are the chances Lorca DASHed back to where the Buran was lost? He could easily have done something to Saru's readings to make it so he couldn't determine where they are or identify the wreckage.

Still don't understand why they didn't just set this post Voyager, these "Klingons" could have been a new species and we wouldn't have a consistency problem. The tech could look as advanced as they wanted.

Honestly I'm not even bothering to answer anymore musings on this. Been answered to death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Still don't understand why they didn't just set this post Voyager, these "Klingons" could have been a new species and we wouldn't have a consistency problem. The tech could look as advanced as they wanted.

You then are set / stuck with how the Federation is.

Wheras now you are seeing the 'formative year', which gives them good licence.

Morning Coffee -- don't worry, we'll get an explanation retrofit in 14 years in another series - like what happened from TOS to TNG Klingons and the augment virus explanation in Enterprise.

• Advertisement

Then why did you bother replying to my comment?

Because if you bothered to read other posts or the "Official" Canon Thread you would see other people discussing it all over.

Advertisement