Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x09 – "Into the Forest I Go" [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

silverharp wrote: »
    if there is a gap when they can beam sh111t on to the klingon vessel why not just beam a nuke

Was thinking that but they needed the cloak details.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I can live with that

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

if there is a gap when they can beam sh111t on to the klingon vessel why not just beam a nuke

Stargate Atlantis already did it

fxotoole wrote: »
    I tend to agree. When Ash was having a mental breakdown and the Admiral was trying to reassure/comfort him, she said something like "you spent 7 months in a klingon prison and they didn't break you". I think this kinda telegraphs the possibility that they actually *did* break him and are using him as a sleeper agent essentially.

Also Lorca has been mapping all the spore drive jumps in his ready room. He's definitely up to something and he seems to have a strategy behind all these jumps. I think he is from the Mirror Universe and he secretly wanted Stammets to do enough jumps to get him back to the Mirror Universe. The final scene where he's like "where the hell are we?" is an act. He knows exactly where he is.

I'm not certain about Lorca being from the Mirror Universe, but I seem to remember him brushing off Stammets' "I didn't know you care", which makes me think there is definitely something else happening.
    Stargate Atlantis already did it

And the original Stargate movie.

I'm not certain about Lorca being from the Mirror Universe, but I seem to remember him brushing off Stammets' "I didn't know you care", which makes me think there is definitely something else happening.

And the original Stargate movie.

also, Independence Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

fxotoole wrote: »
    Also Lorca has been mapping all the spore drive jumps in his ready room. He's definitely up to something and he seems to have a strategy behind all these jumps. I think he is from the Mirror Universe and he secretly wanted Stammets to do enough jumps to get him back to the Mirror Universe. The final scene where he's like "where the hell are we?" is an act. He knows exactly where he is.

Hopefully it is something a bit more interesting than that; something along the lines of perhaps Lorca had already been in the mirror universe, and is looking to get back - you'd get a nice little arc out of that.

It would be great if Discovery somehow creates the device that is used to teleport between the Mirror worlds. I don't think that was ever explained? It was just.. there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

ezra_ wrote: »
    Hopefully it is something a bit more interesting than that; something along the lines of perhaps Lorca had already been in the mirror universe, and is looking to get back - you'd get a nice little arc out of that.
    Also why is he so interested in keeping Burnham alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm actually a little apprehensive about them exploring other dimensions. Even the roughly-established "mirror universe". A quick dip in-and-out is fine, if a little unnecessary, but at the moment I hope they don't spend the rest of the season (or more) hoping around some fantastical / nonsensical alternate realities.

It's just too much of a blank-cheque for the creative team. Any scenario could potentially be escaped with "oh, well, in this universe..." deus ex machina device without any further explanation.

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the next couple of months anyway :). They might make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

spookwoman wrote: »
    ezra_ wrote: »
    Also why is he so interested in keeping Burnham alive.
    I think he must have some special relationship with her in the Mirror Universe or else she holds some vitally important position in the MU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

This is actually a problem with pretty much every Star Trek ever. (I am willing to overlook it - :) keep suspending that disbelief!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Is the door open for the show to actually be in the mirror universe so far and they have just jumped to the normal universe? or did the showrunners already say that isnt the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This is actually a problem with pretty much every Star Trek ever. (I am willing to overlook it - :) keep suspending that disbelief!)

the first borg encounters springs to mind but I guess you could take it as given that you wouldn't get a second shot at it. Then again in the Klingon case if it was a known flaw that there is a time gap you would have some tech to scatter transporter beams.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 45,161 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They were able to detect the power signature of a cloaked ship - if they can detect the power signal, why not the location of the ship? Just determin where the power signal is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

While certainly a lot of things point to the mirror universe theory, watching the episode I was hoping it was going to be a jump back in time to the battle of the Binaries. That Lorca having discovered the mycelial spores traversed time space and other dimensions was willing to sacrifice Stamets in order to map the network well enough to jump back to save the Buran . His biggest failure and his biggest regret .

I think his single minded pursuit of that goal would reframe his actions throughout the season quite beautifully. Think the Doomsday machine episode of TOS but told in long form except instead of ptsd wracked Matt Decker being willing to sacrifice the Enterprise to avenge his crew , a ptsd wracked Lorca is willing to sacrifice Stamets and the crew of the Discovery to save his old crew . The line "Let's go Home" referring to the Buran rather then federation space in this instance. But then they jumped into the aftermath of a battle and I became less sure . Is this the battle of the Binaries , wouldn't they recognise it as such ?

If it is it still doesn't preclude my theory, the Buran could have been scuttled by Lorca with all hands after the battle was over as the Klingons approached . If it isn't well then we're looking at a mirror universe or lost in space(voyager) scenario which is , imo, far less interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, I really enjoyed those 9 episodes and am looking forward to part 2 in the new year. I completely understand people being upset with the look and the tone and the tech continuity but I really liked it:
    • Jason Isaacs is just mesmerizing when he's on screen. Amazing performance.
    • The production values are just outstanding.
    • Doug Jones is fantastic as usual. Glad to see him begining to get the exposure he deserves
    • Really liked the Engineer/Navigator's arc. From being a prickly sh*t to a real human being.
    • The relationship between him and his partner. No more dialed up or down than a straight relationship would have been.
    • I really like pretty much all the characters. The Klingons (Apart from the Albino one, Kor?) all seem to chew their words though. They are just uttering word after word without a proper flow to convince that it was an actual language. Kor made it sound like an actual language.
    • Maybe a little too much focus on Burnham. I know she's supposed to be the main character but so was Sisko in DS9 and every other character had their own screentime and room to move

My thoughts on last episode. Now, I haven't read any spoilers online or theories 'cos I want to go into each episode ignorant but I get the impression that the security officer is actually a Klingon after surgery? (As opposed to brainwashed/Manchurian Candidate type thing)

I really hope, if they are now in the Mirror Universe, that they do their own take on it. I never really liked that universe. Always thought it was very silly. So OTT camp.

Did they really need the navigator to do the micro-jumps? I thought they said earlier in the series that they had small jumps down. It was only when they wanted to go large distances that they were having problems.

Going forward:
    Would like to see them flesh out the other characters just a wee bit more.
    Don't go the Enterprise/DS9 route with the Mirror Universe. Those episodes were fun but inconsequential.
    Would like to see more of the Admiral. Thought she was good but looks like she's probably done with the series.
    Dare to try new things you wouldn't normally see in Trek. The people who don't like it are never gonna like it so go for it. (Although leave out the unnecessary swearing. The "F*ck"s came across like a 2-year old learning a new word. But when they said sh*t in the cell, that was convincing)

Yeah, looking forward to January

The only thing that annoys me (other than Klingons & ship style)

Id like more time on other characters in the show, like the weird robot bridge lady and other bridge officers. Could be plenty of interesting stories to make out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Seven will do nicely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,678 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seven will do nicely :D

Seven would be good yes but there is talk of this going for ten seasons to bring it up to how we get to TOS

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Seven would be good yes but there is talk of this going for ten seasons to bring it up to how we get to TOS

Oh wow, Im all in favour of that, once it keeps fresh and entertaining. I dont want it to end up like 'Once Upon a Time' which really should have been ended last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭corkie

AMKC wrote: »

I thought that discovery would cover 10 years, to bring it to TOS!

Not that there would be 10 seasons, haven't we already seen close to a year (if not more) in the show already?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the security on the klingon ship throughout the series has been terrible. Security cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did captain isaacs purposely let the admiral go to that meeting because he suspected it was a trap and would get rid of person who might stop him fighting, (he wasn't thirlled to hear she was alive)

did captain isaacs purposely let the admiral go to that meeting because he suspected it was a trap and would get rid of person who might stop him fighting, (he wasn't thirlled to hear she was alive)

I think he suspected a trap and tampered with her phaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,866 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Excellent series overall with just one oversight in my opinion, on Discovery there are three crew members who served on the Shenzhou, Burnham, Zaru and Lieutenant Keyla Detmer, the Helm operator. We've seen plenty of interaction between Burnham and Zaru but aside from an awkward glance when Burnham first boards Discovery nothing from Detmer. Clearly she suffered horrific injuries to her head in the battle of the binary stars so she might not take too kindly to the mutineer but on the other hand it might be quite the twist if she thinks Burnham was right to do what she did. Either way it's kind of strange that the two ladies haven't shared a scene together as of yet. Still, plenty more episodes to go.

When you think that Enterprise actually did it, kinda, by beaming tech off ships. Did they not beam a warp core component off of a ship mid battle?

For all the Klingon speech naysayers, they brought out the Universal Translator (I know just for Burnham) but it probably will soon end the Klingon speech.

The first few episodes were them getting around the masks and looked difficult but I can not understand people saying "It does not sound like a language" it's alien, it should not sound like a language flow to us.

Here is a human language, sounds very forced and clipped no and that is human!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I've mentioned this here before - the transporter is actually the ultimate weapon when it comes to space battles. Something that seems to be forgotten about when it comes to space battles!!

• Advertisement

Actually something I found very interesting with this is how the two of them got into a fighting stance before they were beamed over. This has never really been done before, with people standing awkwardly.

Advertisement