Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x09 – "Into the Forest I Go" [** SPOILERS **]

Options
  • 13-11-2017 3:40am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Guess I'll start the thread this week.

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode "Into the Forest I Go". Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

I'm less sold on the Ash is Voq thing at this point, but Ash is certainly a screwed up individual either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not episode specific but IMO the intro theme is one of the best scifi themes ever. The old ones had charm, but this is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hal9550

EPIC!

There are elements that annoy me - i would love to know or have known at the end, where they are.. maybe the mirror universe?

But over all it was epic

Best episode of discovery so far!!

And it seems possible that Tyler is Voq, and that they transformed him into a human somehow.. absolutely NO IDEA how or why..

But i am excited for january, cause that was EPIC!!!! Cant wait for more

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

Did I see Klingon Boobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Evade

I have to wonder why Burnham didn't try to grab Kol. A prisoner is better than another martyr.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That was fantastic. Lorca is fast becoming one of my favorite Trek characters.

God damnit, I knew Jason Isaacs would bring lots to the role but he has surpassed my expectations.

Cannot wait for January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I thought that was an excellent episode. I'm not sure that they turned Voq into a human, more that they might have transferred his consciousness into a human prisoner. Or something like that.

I'm assuming that the Discovery is now in the mirror universe and we will find out what happened to the real Captain Lorca at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Great episode - even thought it was 'rushed', it was still very good.

Annoyed now there is a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Loved it, was surprised to see Klingon boobs :D roll on January! I'm unsure if Tyler is really Klingon or not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Loved it, was surprised to see Klingon boobs :D roll on January! I'm unsure if Tyler is really Klingon or not :/

Will have to watch again to see what happened to Tyler, I'm thinking brain washed into doing something and I wouldn't be surprised if it he helps l'rell escape or something

That was just so unbelievably amazing. Definitely up there with the best Star Trek episodes ever.

Again - what Discovery does right is how people feel. Tyler's bravado comes crashing down once he sees his captor. He fully breaks down. And then it lingers. No other Trek franchise has got that right - DS9 came close, but not to this extent.

Stammets doing the jumps, with his partner looking on in agony was truly touching. I actually came close to tearing up - it's such a lovely relationship that you actually believe in, which, again, is something Trek franchises haven't got right in the past.

Lorca is just such a good captain.

And, more incredibly, and should be mentioned - that, I believe, was the first proper homosexual kiss in a Trek franchise?

I say "proper" because I know there was a kiss between two women on Deep Space Nine, but I don't think that counts as in the cannon Dax had been male and she had been his ex-wife.

Where do you think they are? Could they have gone to the Mirror universe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Great episode.

Great acting, special effects, and music

So, the mirror universe......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oooo i bet it's the mirror universe or some other parallel one

Hopefully it's not another Voyager, where they're sent to another Quadrant and need to get back.

Hopefully it's not another Voyager, where they're sent to another Quadrant and need to get back.
    I'd like to see Star Trek Sliders

Evade, you could just say you liked the episode. Even you can admit it was actually a brilliant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looked good.

Now.. we wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Really really enjoying this series I know it's early doors yet but it's powering up my trek charts. Better than voyager and enterprise.

Evade, you could just say you liked the episode. Even you can admit it was actually a brilliant one.
    I have no real complaints about the episode but I wouldn't go so far as brilliant. It was fine. I thought the last episode was setting up the Pahvans to try be some kind of mediator but were they even brought up?

I do wonder if this is the end of the war with the Klingons. If someone else can't keep the houses united they won't be able to make much headway against Starfleet as 24 seperate entities. I suppose Voq could rise to be the leader but he's a housless nobody so it's a long climb. I realise so far all the set up has been about the Federation-Klingon war but that might have been something the first batch of showrunners wanted and the current ones just had to get out of the way before doing the Discovery they want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

They seem to show his skull being cut into/opened up. If he turns out to be Voq, I'm guessing the method is going to be something patronisingly stupid like swapping brains entire or somesuch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That was quality.

Great fight scene with Burnham. That whole away mission was great watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Real good!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Dam that was an excellent episode thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was thinking that something was going to happen with Stammets and it did.

Someone on here posted that there nearly teared up and one point well I did have a few tears at that point.

The only part I found silly was all the jumps.

What a brilliant cliffhanger ending. I thought it was an excellent way to end it keeps us all interested.

Definitely will be watching that whole episode again it so needs to be seen at least twice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Spear wrote: »
    They seem to show his skull being cut into/opened up. If he turns out to be Voq, I'm guessing the method is going to be something patronisingly stupid like swapping brains entire or somesuch.

had a look couldn't see them cutting his skull but he was put in glad rap, his blood was red, more inclined to think he was tortured, broken and reprogrammed.
    Whats Lorca up to with the encrypted navigation, manual coordinates and spore jump 133 destination unknown. Pretty sure its the point that was on the map at the end. Had an feeling there was something to the map he was looking at in previous episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ash's flashbacks are surely his 'procedure' from Voq to Ash, whatever form that took.

Brilliant episode and have really enjoyed the whole series so far. I like where it's going now with the parallel reality thing.

I think Voq to Ash is the Augment Virus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Really enjoyed that episode. The fight scene with the Klingon was really well done. Dying to see what happens next. If that last jump to the co-ordinates he entered was to the mirror universe the wreckage could be his old ship the Buran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Evade wrote: »
    I'd like to see Star Trek Sliders

That would be an awesome concept for a half or full season story arc. Jumping to a different universe every week, getting to see different versions of the universe and overcome different challenges every episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

spookwoman wrote: »
    had a look couldn't see them cutting his skull but he was put in glad rap, his blood was red, more inclined to think he was tortured, broken and reprogrammed.

I tend to agree. When Ash was having a mental breakdown and the Admiral was trying to reassure/comfort him, she said something like "you spent 7 months in a klingon prison and they didn't break you". I think this kinda telegraphs the possibility that they actually *did* break him and are using him as a sleeper agent essentially.

Also Lorca has been mapping all the spore drive jumps in his ready room. He's definitely up to something and he seems to have a strategy behind all these jumps. I think he is from the Mirror Universe and he secretly wanted Stammets to do enough jumps to get him back to the Mirror Universe. The final scene where he's like "where the hell are we?" is an act. He knows exactly where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if there is a gap when they can beam sh111t on to the klingon vessel why not just beam a nuke

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

silverharp wrote: »
    if there is a gap when they can beam sh111t on to the klingon vessel why not just beam a nuke

I think they wanted to get the cloaking technologys mcguffin so they could detect other klingon ships?

Advertisement