Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia and Iran war talk!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Gatling wrote: »
    There both as bad as each other but it's going to come to a head at some point ,
    Could be a very dangerous situation for both but you get the feeling that it's going to come down to who's got the best backers in an all out war

No, there's no equivalence. The gulf states are the source of the wahabi teachings that give rise to Islamic extremism. If it comes to a head being chopped, odds are they're to blame indirectly or directly

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Doltanian wrote: »
    If Iran and Saudi Arabia go to War then the pendulum of momentum will be firmly with Iran. Iran has 80 million people, Saudi has 30 million but around 12 million of those are modern day slaves and other foreigners in the country, once war breaks out there will be a mass exodus back to India and the Philippines etc.

The Saudis are generally inept and have no war experience, their population is largely obese and lazy with a culture of wealth and slavery. The Iranians are totally different and the Iranians have the numbers, also don't forget Russia will back Iran 100% in the war as it is no secret that Russia hates the Saudis. Iran is a nuclear state and could also draw support from North Korea. I do think if Saudi Arabia provokes Iran then it will start off a third world war.

It won't come down to population size , remember Iran has been surpressing it's own population for decades ,
    Don't see how NK comes into it at considering they are totally safely locked up inside of their own borders ,
    Saudi has its own big backers to and Iran won't be able to effectively fight against land sea and air attacks from nearly every direction ,
    And they have to shift massive amount of men a and equipment either through Iraq which won't happen or by sea leaving them wide open to been hammered before getting off any ships

You lot should head over to this forum https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057795670/1

You’d all be brilliant at it ;)

You lot should head over to this forum https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057795670/1

You’d all be brilliant at it ;)

A stimulating evening, sitting in my Rubber Fuhrer suit and testing my mettle against my fellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gatling wrote: »
    Considering they fired a scud type missle at Saudi last week I'd be a little worried especially as the rebels have come into a lot of weapons that were not in Yemen until very recently ,as seen in East ukraine when flight MH17 was shot down

I'm outta here in two weeks anyway so not worried for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Crazy situation for Iran. Only last month there was a thread on here about Iran going to war with Israel, and now we have one about Iran going to war with Saudi Arabia. I think it's fair to say that if war did break out, Iran would probably end up fighting against Saudi Arabia, Israel, and the United States. So the outlook looks grim for Iran.

Mad that there’s all these threads about Iran “going to war” when it’s the other countries actually at war and looking for more bloodletting. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Like with Iraq Iran won't attack Saudi unless provoked,the crazy Saudi's on the other hand who have been funding the terrorist groups in Syria and the very Islamic terrorism which has attacked Europe are not likely to show the same kind of restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Will this war be fought with sand blasters instead of guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Mad that there’s all these threads about Iran “going to war” when it’s the other countries actually at war and looking for more bloodletting. :rolleyes:

True. Iran doesn't seem to be the aggressors, but it's likely that they will have to fight a war in the future if a resolution for peace can't be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I am surprised with the Saudi action in Yemen, I thought with all the latest and high tech gear they have, that the opposition would have been mopped up a long time ago. Maybe these rebel forces have learned from the Iraq war. As happened in other conflicts in the past, High tech doesnt always beat low tech ingenuity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

An Israeli cabinet minister said on Sunday that Israel has had covert contacts with Saudi Arabia amid common concerns over Iran, a first disclosure by a senior official from either country of long-rumoured secret dealings.

The Saudi government had no immediate response to Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz's remarks. A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also did not respond immediately to a request to comment.

Both Saudi Arabia and Israel view Iran as a main threat to the Middle East and increased tension between Tehran and Riyadh has fuelled speculation that shared interests may push Saudi Arabia and Israel to work together.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-saudi-arabia-secret-talks-iran-threat-middle-east-yuval-steinitz-benjamin-netanyahu-crown-a8064566.html

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran on Monday rejected a harsh statement by Arab League foreign ministers condemning the Islamic Republic and its proxy Hezbollah, saying the tirade was “full of lies” and the product of Saudi “pressure and propaganda.”

State media quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi as calling on Saudi Arabia to stop its “barbaric attacks” on Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition has been at war with Tehran-backed rebels since March 2015. He also called on Saudi Arabia to drop its boycott of the Gulf Arab nation of Qatar, which has warm ties with Iran.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/iran-says-arab-league-condemnation-full-of-lies/2017/11/20/7341a218-cded-11e7-a87b-47f14b73162a_story.html?utm_term=.9d3565aa64ce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So Hezbollah, democratic organisation who are part of a democratically elected government = bad but Saudi Arabia is the good guy because Hezbollah are friendly with Iran and the Saudis and Israel don't like having regional competition?

Feck off Saudi.

Saudi's are also starving the poor people of Yemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Iran will kick seven shades of ****e out of the Saudi's if they start anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I'd pay good money to watch that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not sure. The US would probably back upthe Saudis.

jackboy wrote: »

How precisely they'll sell that one at home should be good for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Odhinn wrote: »
    Easy. If the media can sell the head chopping jihadists in Syria as moderates fighting a humanitarian war they can sell anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

If only we could have our societies just stay out of the whole region while it burns itself to a crisp - no weapon selling, no oil purchasing, no taking refugees, just let the region do whatever it does on its own merits, only intervening if someone tries something nuclear.

Ridiculous notion I grant you but one can dream...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

jackboy wrote: »

And Russia would back Iran.

Neither would get involved directly.

Iranians have way, way more experience than the Saudi's who are a bunch of pampered pussies that prefer to hire mercs to do their dirty work.

That's why the Houthi rebels backed by Iran in Yemen are sticking it to them. For all their expensive war toys from Uncle Sam they can't defeat them.

If it is Saudi's attacking Iranians on their own soil they haven't a chance, The Iranians sent wave after wave of men to their deaths in the Iran Iraq war. They are as hard as **** and fiercely patriotic, even if they hate the regime.

Throw Hezbollah into the mix and the Saudi's are goosed. They haven't got the stomach for a fight like the Iranians do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

They are selling it now. Mostly by not mentioning the war. Some congressmen tried to force a vote recently. It was roundly defeated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

If only we could have our societies just stay out of the whole region while it burns itself to a crisp - no weapon selling, no oil purchasing, no taking refugees, just let the region do whatever it does on its own merits, only intervening if someone tries something nuclear.

Ridiculous notion I grant you but one can dream...

Our societies - meaning mostly the British and the US cause most of the conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

The media will do what they are told like they always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Our societies - meaning mostly the British and the US cause most of the conflict.

Spare me the store-bought post colonial guilt. This nonsense has been going on since long before the United States even existed as a country. The most recent iteration of Saudi-Iranian rivalry has been in play since before the 1st Gulf War at least, and it will likely continue regardless of any desire among the US (or UK for that matter) to have a nice placid oil supply region.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems like one of the former leaders of Yemen was killed. Can see both the Saudis and Iranians stirring things up even more in the country.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42225574

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Seems like one of the former leaders of Yemen was killed. Can see both the Saudis and Iranians stirring things up even more in the country.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42225574

Only countries stirring anything up is he Saudi's and Israel like always.

Let the region sort out its own problems its not the business of the USA, UK or any other western countries to be getting involved it only makes an already bad situation even worse, Iraq, Libya and Syria should tell you the consequences of interfering in that part of the world.

Spare me the store-bought post colonial guilt. This nonsense has been going on since long before the United States even existed as a country. The most recent iteration of Saudi-Iranian rivalry has been in play since before the 1st Gulf War at least, and it will likely continue regardless of any desire among the US (or UK for that matter) to have a nice placid oil supply region.

Exactly which is another reason not to get involved in foreign countries disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I would absolutely love to see the Saudi's try an invade Iran. The whole south, south west of the country is notoriously difficult to navigate, let alone permit a modern invading army enough room to manoeuvre. The Saudi's would be unable to launch a naval invasion as they lack the means to do so and the United States would not facilitate such a move either. That leaves passing through Iraq, which is also doubtful and even so, they're gonna walk into the Iranians dug into the mountains.

It's strategic suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I think it's all sabre rattling on both sides, doubt anything will come from it.

The Saudis have the best of gear but from what I can see they're fairly useless with it, the Iranians have very likely Soviet derived gear but have been prepping for an invasion since the 1st Gulf war.

Assuming that Stuxnet doesn't affect their troops or tanks then they'll be a very difficult opponent to beat.

I think the Israelis are sort of jammed here, they don't like either player but I can see them siding with the Saudis, even though they're crackpots, they serve Israel's interest, last thing they want is a well armed, well organised and well lead Iran.
    The Saudis and Israelis have been in bed together on the qt for a while now. It makes the act they put on of hating each other seem quite amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Ipso wrote: »
    Muslims fighting muslims, has to be the weshts fault.

Irishmen fighting Irishmen has always been Britain's fault.

Advertisement