Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia and Iran war talk!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Honestly, I think if it comes down to an actual shooting war, Iran will demolish them, assuming Israel doesn't come to the Saudi's aid.

Even if Iran is at the stage where they are ready to finish off the Saudis I honestly don't think the Yanks, Brits, French etc. will allow it to happen.

This is the big question , Iran and hizbollah Vs a combined Arab coalition and Israel and the western states it doesn't bode well ,it's all well having small guerilla engagements like seen in Gaza and so on but sooner or later you have to commit major forces to fight , which one side cant offer any real protection from the air or naval forces .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Never claimed they were.

I don't think Iran or by extension Hezbollah are benign harmless organisations. I just find Saudi claiming a moral high ground on anything a bit galling considering their exportation of Wahabist extremism, their passivity in the funding of terrorism by their filling class and stuff like the current bombardment and blockade and resultant impending famine in Yemen l, on top of all the human rights abuses, civil rights denials and general c*ntishness.

But because Saudi are in team murkia there are many in the media and online who will unquestioningly cheer them on when they have a go a big bad Iran.

Maybe they could kill each other, one can dream.

The had incursions into north Lebanon often. They established a proxy in the south, that doesn't mean they didn't have a goo for sending boys across the border.

You referred to protecting Northern Lebanon from continuous incursions by Israel.

Stop digging. The dogs on the street know that the incursions were in Southern Lebanon. We in Ireland have no excuse for not knowing, given the UNIFIL troops we sent to Tibnin and other areas in...Southern Lebanon. The vast bulk of the fighting took place in...Southern Lebanon. The invasions by Israel were of...Southern Lebanon. The tanks rolled into...Southern Lebanon. Hezbollah sent fighters into...Southern Lebanon. Do we need to go on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Honestly, I think if it comes down to an actual shooting war, Iran will demolish them, assuming Israel doesn't come to the Saudi's aid.

Even if Iran is at the stage where they are ready to finish off the Saudis I honestly don't think the Yanks, Brits, French etc. will allow it to happen.

Iran won't invade anywhere, they'll defend their borders and make it awkward for Saudi et Al. The country is awkward to invade because of the geographical conditions, once they can control their airspace with Russia's help they'll hold their borders easily.
    They'd have no interest in "finishing off" Saudi, they'll just bombard from afar and try defend their position.

You referred to protecting Southern Lebanon from continuous incursions by Israel.

Stop digging. The dogs on the street know that the incursions were in Southern Lebanon. We in Ireland have no excuse for not knowing, given the UNIFIL troops we sent to Tibnin and other areas in...Southern Lebanon. The vast bulk of the fighting took place in...Southern Lebanon. The invasions by Israel were of...Southern Lebanon. The tanks rolled into...Southern Lebanon. Hezbollah sent fighters into...Southern Lebanon. Do we need to go on?

I'm sorry, but the invasion was in the south. There were numerous movements of troops over the border from 78 to 2000, not only in the south. The dog on the street knows that, as you'd say. Israel invaded the south and pushed north. They were contained to the south and west by local resistance, they didn't just stop when they hit Beirut.

Stop digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Gatling wrote: »
    This is the big question , Iran and hizbollah Vs a combined Arab coalition and Israel and the western states it doesn't bode well ,it's all well having small guerilla engagements like seen in Gaza and so on but sooner or later you have to commit major forces to fight , which one side cant offer any real protection from the air or naval forces .

I think it's all sabre rattling on both sides, doubt anything will come from it.

The Saudis have the best of gear but from what I can see they're fairly useless with it, the Iranians have very likely Soviet derived gear but have been prepping for an invasion since the 1st Gulf war.

Assuming that Stuxnet doesn't affect their troops or tanks then they'll be a very difficult opponent to beat.

I think the Israelis are sort of jammed here, they don't like either player but I can see them siding with the Saudis, even though they're crackpots, they serve Israel's interest, last thing they want is a well armed, well organised and well lead Iran.

I'm sorry, but the invasion was in the south. There were numerous movements of troops over the border from 78 to 2000, not only in the south. The dog on the street knows that, as you'd say. Israel invaded the south and pushed north. They were contained to the south and west by local resistance, they didn't just stop when they hit Beirut.

Stop digging.

Sure look, you continue with your belief that the main focus of the conflict was in Northern Lebanon, and everyone you sneer at but who actually has some grasp of the geography and geopolitics of the area can continue with their analysis. Is that fair?

Sure look, you continue with your belief that the main focus of the conflict was in Northern Lebanon, and everyone you sneer at but who actually has some grasp of the geography and geopolitics of the area can continue with their analysis. Is that fair?

I never said any such thing.

But carry on. Israel never sent IDF or directed malatia into Northern Lebanon. Hezbollah wasn't founded to protect the north from repeated incursions from Israel and the SLA from both sides, everything happened south and west of the Litani, because you said so, because you're clearly an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We discussed this before, but now Isis is near defeated. The big powers in the region are now beginning to threaten each other.

Saudi Arabia has ordered its citizens to leave Lebanon immediately, escalating a regional standoff with Iran centred on the fragile state, which it claims is being run by Tehran’s proxy, Hezbollah.

The move follows a week of bellicose rhetoric from the Sunni Arab powerhouse about its Shia rival, drawing strong support from Donald Trump and Israel, all three of whom insist Iran is forging strongholds across the region.

The standoff has taken tensions between Riyadh and Tehran to new levels and raised fears that decades of distrust and manoeuvrings between the two may be building towards a military confrontation, underwritten by the Trump administration and joined by Israel.

The Saudi order for its citizens to leave, also made by the kingdom’s allies in Bahrain and Kuwait, came after the country’s foreign minister, Adel al-Jubeir, said his government would treat Lebanon as a hostile state as long as Hezbollah was in the government. He described Hezbollah’s participation in government as an “act of war” against Saudi Arabia.

The Israeli intelligence minister, Yisrael Katz, said on Thursday he believed conditions were ripe for a diplomatic offensive against Iran and Hezbollah at the United Nations, where he said Israel would seek better enforcement of a 2006 ceasefire agreement that called on Hezbollah to disarm and stay away from its border.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/10/saudi-arabia-orders-citizens-to-leave-lebanon-as-tensions-rise

Amazing that the only focus is on Iran “extending its influence”.

No mention of Israel, Saudi or US extending their influences across the Middle East.

I never said any such thing.

But carry on. Israel never sent IDF or directed malatia into Northern Lebanon. Hezbollah wasn't founded to protect the north from repeated incursions from Israel and the SLA from both sides, everything happened south and west of the Litani, because you said so, because you're clearly an expert.

I know more than you, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert. Had 2 siblings serve in South Lebanon during the Israeli invasions in the 80s. They'd have loved to have been in Northern Lebanon. Where you thought the action was...:)

• Advertisement

I think it's all sabre rattling on both sides, doubt anything will come from it.

The Saudis have the best of gear but from what I can see they're fairly useless with it, the Iranians have very likely Soviet derived gear but have been prepping for an invasion since the 1st Gulf war.

Assuming that Stuxnet doesn't affect their troops or tanks then they'll be a very difficult opponent to beat.

Here is the problem they don't have air cover to move large amounts of troops or vehicles in the open they would be sitting ducks for most part ,
    If it does come down to a shooting match I can't see Iran getting into large scale battles they have a lot to loose Israel are chomping at the bit to have a go at them ,
    While Saudi isn't having it easy in Yemen can Iran defend against war on Several fronts they suffered high casualties in Syria for the most part too ,
    And there has been a rumor going around the last while that country in the region took delivery of at least 2 stealth bombers recently ,we know Israel has the f35's jets but no one is willing to say who's got the bombers ,

But another issue for iran is it's population might be able to make a difference imagine a kick off and Iranians take to the streets demanding democracy again while a conflict is brewing.

There are variables that people aren't taking into account

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The BBC make the most of a quote for their headline
    Saudis 'declared war on Lebanon' - Hezbollah leader
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41946310

The BBC make the most of a quote for their headline

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41946310

Iran are claims are laughable

I know more than you, but I certainly don't claim to be an expert. Had 2 siblings serve in South Lebanon during the Israeli invasions in the 80s. They'd have loved to have been in Northern Lebanon. Where you thought the action was...:)

It's funny that you think the civil war only affected south. It's hilarious what you seem completely unaware of Israeli incursions over the northern border. For someone who knows stuff, you don't know much.

I'm sure cpl and sgt Conor's brothers told you stories, that's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Here is the problem they don't have air cover to move large amounts of troops or vehicles in the open they would be sitting ducks for most part ,
    If it does come down to a shooting match I can't see Iran getting into large scale battles they have a lot to loose Israel are chomping at the bit to have a go at them ,
    While Saudi isn't having it easy in Yemen can Iran defend against war on Several fronts they suffered high casualties in Syria for the most part too ,
    And there has been a rumor going around the last while that country in the region took delivery of at least 2 stealth bombers recently ,we know Israel has the f35's jets but no one is willing to say who's got the bombers ,

But another issue for iran is it's population might be able to make a difference imagine a kick off and Iranians take to the streets demanding democracy again while a conflict is brewing.

There are variables that people aren't taking into account

In fairness you raise a very good point, and it's something that I'd have to research more rather than blasting on and pushing our fakery (not sure if that's a real word lol)

Something that may be worth looking at, and in fairness it may not also, but from what I've read, whatever the Russians deployed in Syria it completely negated the stealth systems that all the "allied" powers had in play, to the point where NATO were freaking out (most people presumed, meself included, that Russia tech was still stuck back in the 90's).

I'll see if I can find those reports and post links here, or even anything related to them, it's a really interesting topic.

Iran are claims are laughable

The president of Lebanon and other senior officials claim the prime minister is being held under house arrest by the Saudis.

This is bizarre.

It's funny that you think the civil war only affected south. It's hilarious what you seem completely unaware of Israeli incursions over the northern border.

Erm...over the Lebanese Northern border is...Syria.

So, you claim Hezbollah massed in Northern Lebanon to prevent continuous Israeli incursions...over the Lebanese Northern border into Syria. Right oh.

We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.

Erm...over the Lebanese Northern border is...Syria.

I'm deliriously tired right now... I meant south. This is a left right up down fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Will all of this finally see the love affair of the Jewish terrorist state and the most extremist Islamic terrorist state become a public thing?

Maybe they’ll even start going steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,013 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hope I'm not offending anyone here, but I couldn't give a monkeys if these two blow the hell out of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

NIMAN wrote: »
    Hope I'm not offending anyone here, but I couldn't give a monkeys if these two blow the hell out of each other.

Would it make petrol more expensive?

Would it make petrol more expensive?

It may slightly, but still wouldn't care. I'm sure others will fill any supply problems.

One of my cars is electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Crazy situation for Iran. Only last month there was a thread on here about Iran going to war with Israel, and now we have one about Iran going to war with Saudi Arabia. I think it's fair to say that if war did break out, Iran would probably end up fighting against Saudi Arabia, Israel, and the United States. So the outlook looks grim for Iran.

Those folk in that region are all talk, little action.
    I don't expect any war to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

NIMAN wrote: »
    Those folk in that region are all talk, little action.
    I don't expect any war to happen.

You’re right. It’s a stable place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

It's all to boost weapon sales which is a great economy boost in a time of recession worldwide. Funny how all war tensions follow eachother and never coincide.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We had warning siren tests here in kuwait during the week. I didn't hear them so I'm ****ed if they decide to trample on kuwait!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    in a time of recession worldwide.

Where is there a recession right now?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    We had warning siren tests here in kuwait during the week. I didn't hear them so I'm ****ed if they decide to trample on kuwait!

Considering they fired a scud type missle at Saudi last week I'd be a little worried especially as the rebels have come into a lot of weapons that were not in Yemen until very recently ,as seen in East ukraine when flight MH17 was shot down

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

If Iran and Saudi Arabia go to War then the pendulum of momentum will be firmly with Iran. Iran has 80 million people, Saudi has 30 million but around 12 million of those are modern day slaves and other foreigners in the country, once war breaks out there will be a mass exodus back to India and the Philippines etc.

The Saudis are generally inept and have no war experience, their population is largely obese and lazy with a culture of wealth and slavery. The Iranians are totally different and the Iranians have the numbers, also don't forget Russia will back Iran 100% in the war as it is no secret that Russia hates the Saudis. Iran is a nuclear state and could also draw support from North Korea. I do think if Saudi Arabia provokes Iran then it will start off a third world war.

War will come but in what form and the last few years remind me of the lead up towards the second world war. Israel should keep its nose within its borders in any conflict because a Nuclear exchange could happen very easily.

Advertisement