Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to from here ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Think I'd like to do a 'half' at some stage this year. Am thinking,maybe Galway Bay,maybe in early October. Was there in 2015. It's the same 3 mile stretch 4 times and 8 for the marathon.But it's an easy commute,from Clare and there's a nice seaview☺

Anyone else ever get people asking if they are ok when doing their stretches ?. Even today roadside, a car approaching was going very slow, as though at least 'wondering'? :)

Still full of aches aches after quite a 'steep' 5 mile friday night. But they say a short jog (in my case home from the coffee shop) can alleviate this a little bit, so hoping :)

Recovering from an elective procedure, which means probably 6 weeks without running as wounds need to heal. I had reached 35'55 in a 5 Mile race just before. I was on an upwards curve again but I knew this was coming. Parkrun might a good place to return,maybe in 4 or 5 weeks. Hopefully I will 'be back' for XC in September :)

Ran 3 miles (nearly) this morning, that's my 4th run since an operation nearly 6 weeks ago. I had been coming along so well, times had improved a lot and without the interruption of an operation, I would probably be running very fast by now. However I knew this was coming and that it seems to have been successful is I suppose the main thing. Actually the night before admission linked up with a running group near the hospital and ran a timed 5k, with a new group which was nice :). Slight discomfort when jogging but am 'on my way back' and hoping to make Parkrun saturday :) .

Incredible how easy it is to gain weight..up half a stone and despite eating hardly any 'bad' food ..having to loose weight is horrible....

• Advertisement

Broke my 5k pb at the weekend with 21'03,despite stopping 2 or 3 times in the final mile with 'stomach pain'...Thought I had a chance towards the end of breaking 21, but my watch started a few seconds late. It was still nice though to knock a few seconds off and narrowly missing out on a 'placing'. Hitting 40 soon so it's nice to see that I can 'still do it' :) Could I break 21 sometime?....I'd like to try although the strain of running 'fast' is really quite considerable.

Seem to have developed a head-cold so not sure about training tomorrow,we shall have to see...

Was really charging through the exhaustion barrier as I approached the finish line,in an effort to shave a few seconds off my pb,and I took 4 off it in the end :) Tried to pep talk myself during the race,that I was 'well able for the pain'. I think maybe I was able for the pain of running but my stomach was awful. Went straight for the 'facilities' afterwards. Running fast does 'disrupt' my system a lot. Heard someone else say they felt sick also. But 5 minutes afterwards, I was feeling fine and had the 'reward' of a pb,(plus some nice food),which will last a lot longer than the pain :)

12 and a half miles run this morning in just under 2 hours..that's my longest run in close on year. Doing so in company really added another dimension to doing so alone. By myself I'd have been bored and felt every ache and pain...doing the Charleville half in just over 2 weeks and that concludes my preparation.

Could incidentally have done with a sleeveless jacket, it was very wet and my rain coat became heavy and uncomfortable as time went on. Does anyone know where I can get these?.S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Spirogyra wrote: »
    12 and a half miles run this morning in just under 2 hours..that's my longest run in close on year. Doing so in company really added another dimension to doing so alone. By myself I'd have been bored and felt every ache and pain...doing the Charleville half in just over 2 weeks and that concludes my preparation.

Could incidentally have done with a sleeveless jacket, it was very wet and my rain coat became heavy and uncomfortable as time went on. Does anyone know where I can get these?.S

I got one in Decathlon. You can buy from there online.

http://OwOa14U.jpgThanks Kellygirl,this looks like a good option t's E30 (not sure about postage) and the reviews are mostly positive[IMG]http://[/img]OwOa14U.jpgWe had such a nice summer that it was actually a shock to wake up to rain this morning. A long time since I'd run in really wet conditions and just wasn't 'prepared'. Core is the main area to keep warm,legs,arms probably,don't really 'matter'.

Incidentally Paced for the first time ever at Parkrun last saturday and it felt like a 'right of passage',been a runner for 9 years now and this was first time I'd occupied that role. It was a different type of challenge,well ahead of 'schedule' for most of it I actually had to sprint at the end to finish in 26:01. Not ideal if there was anyone on my shoulder. There wasn't but a few people approached me and said I helped. Not perfect but I did my best and hopefully better next time :)

• Advertisement

Turned 40 a few days ago...find myself walking less and taking the bus more...muscles seem to ache more....I wonder how much of that has to do with age?. Went for Sports Massage monday,told my lower back (the site of a problem) was 'a bit tight but no worse than in most people,a tennis ball either side of my spine (just above the waist) was recommended...I wonder how much of this tightness is to do with age?. Is the younger body less tight? less stiff?.

Received an entry to the Limerick Marathon in May as a surprise 40th birthday present from my sister :) So I suppose the next year is mapped out :) So it looks as though I will do another marathon after all :) My own bed the night before and after should I think help a lot. It will mean probably 'sacrificing' some shorter runs in the spring,but that is a time of year when I'm not usually fast anyway :) Part of the problem for my 'Dublin failure' was I think,not just taking part in but 'racing' several small races in the lead up, I was simply 'empty' by the time Dublin came around. It is possible to do them but not really to race them. I can still do a few in the spring but for 'distance', not race them. Also try to do my long run in company if I can,would help alleviate boredom :)
    Off to Charleville Sunday for the 'half' ,my first in well over a year :)

Better enjoy these '40th birthday presents' because I don't think there will be much for 41 or 43 or 49 even... :) Will be in an older age category at Parkrun next time,now eligible for O40 prizes :) My life is nothing like that of a typical 40 year old so it feels strange :)

Resting a lot the past week,just 3 miles tuesday and yesterday.

Half-Marathon is tomorrow. I've done 12 miles in training and posted some good times in 5K's. Only flaw is that I've not done a long run at 'half-marathon pace'. Most of my long runs are closer to 9 minute miles. 1:45 should be realistic, maybe a bit better. But I don't want to go out fast and find I'm not able for it. Will go with the 1:45 pacers I think and see how I'm feeling in the last few miles, hopefully :)

Just my 4th individual half-marathon (Plus one as part of a relay)
    Number came in the post,will have breakfast as early as possible,possibly 5 or 5:30,travel at 8:30 ,bit of a warm up at 9:30 and 'take off' at 10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Good luck.

Finished in 1:43:20 net time in Charleville which was a pb by about 30 seconds :) Stopped 5 or 6 times in the last mile (Don't know why as the discomfort was not that bad) and required medical attention at the end as the paramedics thought I looked a bit faint. 10 minutes later though they were happy with my 'vital signs'. Planned to use,but forgot to take, a gel or 2 and that might have helped. I was also hungrey at the start line,maybe breakfast was too early ? But it was my longest run in nearly a year, the weather was entirely sunny and dry,and I just really enjoyed being out there doing something I love.meeting different people :) . Just need to mentally work on 'keeping going through the discomfort' a very bad habit,this stopping :)

Started out with the 1:45 pacers but they were about a minute ahead of schedule after 3 miles. They were asked to slow down but I remained clear of them from then on :)

There's a half-marathon in just over 2 months which actually passes my home,I think I'll aim to break 1:40 in that,which would mean 7:36 per mile,a bit of a 'step-up' from 7:56 yesterday. But November is a quiet month and it would be something to aim for.
    Before that booked into see Physio and the Women's Mini-Marathon at the weekend. Might try to do 7:36 splits in that :) .

Paste from 'Random Running Questions'. I am entered for the Limerick Marathon,while I have a good level of fitness there is a lot to do to strengthen my body sufficently to do it,if it can be done at all. Going to see someone next week but I believe that this 'diagnosis' is probably fairly accurate.
    At least I have 7 months to see if I can 'do something'.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spirogyra View Post
    Can a (likely) IT Band problem ever be cured? or is it always just about 'managing it as best one can',with stretches ?. Seeing a physio again next week after a problem developed at around mile 11 in Charleville. IT Band, it's been an issue for years but I get away with it in 5 and 10K's...becomes a problem in longer runs.
    That would be a typical example of weak glutes and poor trunk stability as the runs get longer the muscular endurance fails and the hip stabilisation on foot strike is compromised.

1) Make sure you have good hip Range of motion
    2) Focus on glute strength
    3) Don't do excessive long runs until your body is strong enough to support them
    Testosterscone is offline Report Post

So 'Where to from here?' . Well it's my local 'Women's Mini Marathon' tomorrow. This race actually holds a little 'sentimental' (sort of :) ) significance for me, as 9 years ago it was my first ever race :) So I am a runner 9 years :) It was a very different running world 9 years ago. There was no Parkrun and little opportunity for an 'amatuer' runner to engage in the sport. It was a further 4 or 5 years before I would join a club and really 'develope'.

But anyway in 2009 a (now sadly deceased) friend drove me to the venue and we met again at the finish line. I remember really enjoying the carnival atmosphere and the colour,all on a pretty sunny day,I still enjoy that :) .My time was 54 something I think for (possibly) 5 miles, it's changed a few times, the distance I mean. That is not by any means a good time but I was happy at the time, and the photos,actually encountered several friends,both male and female afterwards,some of whom took part,others were just there to watch or support family or friends. But I enjoyed it a lot and it encouraged me to 'go again'.

Tomorrow? Well there is no chip timing,actually no times for anyone outside the top 3,so it doesn't really feel like there is much incentive to 'go for it'. After the half-marathon last weekend it probably make's more sense for me not to run too hard anyway.

There's a half-marathon passing my house in 2 months time. I'd like to do that a minute or 2 faster than 'Charleville' last weekend. To do that I would need to run 7'45 minute miles. I think that will be my target tomorrow,to do 7'45 minute miles (and don't stop at any point :) ) in the 10K event (there is a 5K also) .

Will bring an Avonmore protein milk for afterwards.

Above all though I hope to enjoy it :)

• Advertisement

Well I did exactly what I set out to do,although more by accident than design,7:45 miles and the clock was 48:05 as I sprinted the final 200 metres across the line. I suspect I may have been a good deal slower but for a friend,who I encountered just before half-way and we ran together until the end. It was a nice occasion,although scenery possibly a bit dull. Today was never about 'pushing' it,it was about enjoying the occasion and that I did. Oh the race shirt was a perfect fit and oh I didn't 'stop' :) Just put the clothes in the washer using the washing powder from the 'Goodie Bag' :)

***Oh stomach was 'growling' an hour before start,wasn't sure what to do :)

Booked to see a physio on Thursday. I've a long term problem with my IT band and I don't know whether a marathon at the beginning of May is realistic. There's a low level of discomfort a few inches either side of my knee on the outside. It seems to flare up at around the 10 mile mark. If I aspire to doing the Limerick marathon albeit in 7 months,I need someone,to again take a look at it. My balance is poor and I suspect it may have something to do with that.

At the weekend it's XC. I'll do my best,I hate shorter,faster runs because the body is under a lot of stress,even if it's brief. Will do my best to go fairly fast and keep going. Maybe pick someone of a similar level to me and try to stay with them. That can make it easier. Time to 'dust down' the spikes, after a year in the cupboard.

Hmmm a lady stopped in her car today and asked if I was ok,thought when doing my stretches that maybe I was injured :) Not the first time this has happened :)

[IMG]http://[/img]XIjpw11.jpgXIjpw11.jpg
    XIjpw11.jpgNMWhvXj.jpg

Some exercises prescribed after a visit to a Physio. It is indeed my IT Band. It's been a problem for nearly as long as I can remember. Also given 'Heat Treatment' and 'a gun of some sort',sending vibrations and stimulating new 'growth' I think...

Missed the start of the XC race due to a mix-up regarding travel and times :),so starting 2 or 3 minutes late and with my number in my hand, I ran the full course and finished last :) Didn't attempt to bust gut and catch anyone and just treated it as a training run :) Oh well I actually still enjoyed my day just by being part of it. Nice to support the younger ones also :)

Came close to a County Medal yesterday as I finished 4th in the Novice XC Came from 8th or 9th right up to 4th on the final turn,almost touching the 3rd placed girl. However she had the inside 'line' and the shorter turn. Just for a brief moment I was happy with 4th and slowed down. That was it,I lost ground and though I sprinted at the end,she was gone,crossing the line about 3 seconds before me. I had however never expected to challenge for a medal and in truth never really considered 'passing her'. Even my 'rise' through the field was almost accidental,never really overtaking anyone,I just kept going at the same pace when others were slowing down :) . Great day though and great social occasion,enjoyed some chocolate milk as I clapped for the kids and the guys :) .

21'55 was a reasonable saturday morning' workout at Parkrun? Just 2 seconds outside my pb but my 3rd sub 22 minute 5K since a procedure in May. Said to myself that I wanted ' a good workout', a tempo run I suppose. I would go fast enough to be moderately test myself,to benefit from it,but would not give 100 %. It was lovely actually on a scenic autumn riverbank,with the golden leaves either side. The first 3 miles were in 7'03,7'03 and 7'06 which left me sprinting at the end (why not sprint at the end? :) ) to try to break 22 minutes and I did :)

Did a mile warm down,drinking chocolate milk and stretching intermittently,before coffee and apple pie on the way home :)

So what's next? Provincial Masters XC is on in 4 weeks,deliberately ran on the grass at times today,including minor inclines,by choice with that in mind. And there's a new half-marathon 2 weeks later, which actually passes my home :) Can't be watching that :) .

*** First time seeing 40-44 after my name in the results sheet :) But 40 actually hasn't been as much of a Psychological adjustment as 30 would you believe :)

That guilty feeling, you've missed training due to a cold, not a very bad cold and you procrastinated for ages as to whether to go or not. I decided,just about,that rest would be better for my system ,but my heart wanted to run.... :(

Re-above,struggling all week with quite a bad head cold. Had 3 fairly intense runs in 7 days and maybe that just wore out my immune system?. With a 'heavy conscience' missed Tuesday night's training on the track(the main session of the week). Rightly or more likely wrongly done 3 and half miles on the road today,and walked another half as part of my warm down. Perspired more than normal and perhaps it wasn't good for my immune system. Running does suppress it,slightly for a while,but mentally,I needed it :) . I had planned to do 10 miles at the weekend with Decembers half-marathon in mind. We shall just have to see how I'm feeling :) Time for Lemsip :)

• Advertisement

This time last year I was stuck on a much delayed train to Dublin for the marathon. I was honestly one of the least enthusiastic marathon runners imaginable. I was tired,had considered not going and it ended ultimately (in running terms) disaster. I managed 21 miles in training yet only 20 in the marathon itself. My sister was running and I wanted to do it with her. However while she was celebrating a well-deserved age-category prize I was stuck,in the cold,awaiting,a long,long time at mile 20,medical attention. Assistance came quickly but they didn't want to drive vehicles through an area where there was still a lot of runners. So I had to wait a very long time for actual medical attention.

Presumably in case of emergency this would have been 'over-written'? But I was not an emergency,just someone in a lot of pain and I did not return to anything approaching 'form' for 5 o 6 months. I was able to run parkruns and complete 10k's by Christmas but badly and in discomfort. I was in discomfort from mile 3,but still reached half-way in 1:47. I was certainly fit enough for a 3:40 marathon at least,maybe a bit better. But my I.T. band was not strong enough. Had I stopped at half-way I could probably have returned to training within a few weeks and without any major damage. But continuing until mile 20 really mangled it up, and was very dis-spiriting. Although the random kindness of strangers was touching.

It remains to be seen whether the Limerick Marathon on 6th May is manageable. I feel some mild discomfort in my IT band every day but it's not really an issue in shorter runs. I've been seeing a physio and doing strengthening exercises every day to try to build it up. Will it be good enough? Only time will tell.....

Advertisement