Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to from here ?

Options
  • 08-11-2017 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Retired after 20 miles of the DCM. There was pain in my knee from mile 3, it spread to my hip, then the other leg as well. The pain became severe, severe from about mile 14. Such a shame as I had reached half-way in 1'47 relatively 'at my ease'. The last 5 or 6 miles were horrible as the pacers first at 3'40 then 3'50 and finally ( I think ) 4 hour pacers passed me. I'm not sure about 4'10 but my time slipped to between 10'30 and 12 minutes per mile.

I think the problem was ultimately my 'I.T. Band'. I had problems with this before. Limping across the Finish-Line in the 'Galway Bay' a few years ago. But it had never 'flared' up to this extent. I didn't really get any 'hip-flexors' in beforehand. Could they have saved me ?. The queues for the 'Loos' were massive,consumed a half an hour of 'potential warm-up' and then with about 10 minutes to go , there was very little space and I was 'boxed' in at the start. I would have gotten away with this in the half, in anything but 'the full'. I do a better warm-up for 'small events' but sometimes it's the 'small things' that catch you out.

Unfortunately in any other event, there would be a chance to 'put it right' in a few weeks time. But not with a marathon. I spent 2 hours at the side of the road being cared for by a steward, cold and waiting for attention. I was unable to walk. It was a bad spot to 'stop at' apparently. 'Ambulances' were 'distant' unable to drive to me when the race was still going on. Presumably had I collapsed or gotten a heart-attack etc they would have but I was not an emergency. I was otherwise quite fresh.

So where to from here ? I always found the long training runs mentally incredibly hard, almost mentally 'destroying'. So why did I enter the DCM ? A sibling had entered as well as several club colleagues. I wanted to be part of the occassion. But I just didn't enjoy the training .

I performed well, very well in XC and shorter Road-Races in the 'lead-up'. I was never really willing to 'sacrifice' them for the marathon. Although I did run 18, 20 and 21 miles on a Sunday. I hated them. It's been suggested that I needed company, company at a similar 'pace' to myself. Maybe.

But do I want to do another marathon or attempt to do another ?. Could I do another in a few months to 'put it right'? To prove to myself that I can ? Maybe but probably not. It just wasn't something I enjoyed .

10 day's on and I'm starting to feel close to 'normal' or as normal as 'it get's. Starting to stretch. I might run or jog in a day or two. There's even a 5K tomorrow night and that does excite me. Much more exciting than the DCM ever was for me. But is it too soon ? and I'm a usual 'specs' wearer, it will be dark and I've fallen in the dark before .

There a few runs around Christmas ? shorter runs that will not require 'extra' preparation and are a lot more social. Where to from here ? Watch this space :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Hey - sounds like a bit of bad day out in Dublin.

My own 2 cents? There's no shame in not liking marathons or long distance running.

I haven't run a a marathon since 2012 and not sure when/if I'll do one again....I've been running 10Ks, 5 Milers and 5Ks since (in between bouts of illness and addition of kids :pac:) and enjoy them a lot more....I've had a few bad races for sure but there's always another race around the corner to recover form and pride.

A marathon is a big commitment and a huge investment of time and effort - and as I've found out a couple of times it can all go t1ts up on the day or leading up to the day.

I'm sure there'll be someone along here convincing you to get back on your feet and conquer the marathon and at the end of the day it's all down to what you want to do.

Have a rest for a bit and then maybe look out for some shorter races in the medium term. Listen to your body and then make a call on the marathon.

re: Specs - I'm a spec wearer as well...I use contact lenses for races. Cheap to buy online if you know your prescription but I know not everyone likes them.

Anyway, best of luck with the running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

After 'Cabin Fever' I pilfered lifts and done the 5K last night organised by a local sports-club. Though harder in the dark, my goal was simply to enjoy myself and I did in a time of 23'09. Generally taking it easy,something I'm not used to, I was well within myself for the most part. I passed 2 close to the finish line but right there, almost right on the line, my knee 'went a bit'. Not as badly, or even in the same way as in the marathon. But I would not have been able tp run much further and the 'warm-down' was a limp.

In the marathon it was entirely on the outside of my knee (spreading to the hip then both hops) but last night it was the inside of my knee, the socket area, the inside. I feel it when I 'lunge' and walk is just 'slightly impaired' this morning. There's no pain and I'd be hopeful that with rest it will settle down again soon. But I suppose the lesson is to rest and 'go easy' on the running for several weeks. No 'speed-work' for now.

Had felt better 'resting' than I actually turned out to be.

No regrets, I needed a bit of a 'social-side' and I got that last night. Touching base with friends and 'foes' :) Of course I had to explain what went wrong in the marathon, not everyone had heard. There was a great deal of sympathy :). There was generally two different types of reaction to my 'Dublin Misadventure'. The 'Career ' Marathon runner who urged me to 'rest and go for it again'. Others suggested that like them, that I just enjoy the local runs, of which there are plenty. I never enjoyed Long Sunday Runs', I know which camp I fall into :)

Still enjoyed my evening :)

Most 'ordinary people' are actually pretty 'astounded' that I managed to run 20 miles. Only in a Marathon can one run for 20 miles and for that to be a 'failure' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Most 'ordinary people' are actually pretty 'astounded' that I managed to run 20 miles. Only in a Marathon can one run for 20 miles and for that to be a 'failure' :)

If 20 miles is a failure then I may as well call it a day now!! Amazing achievement

Might do 2 or 3 miles gentle in the morning. Though not hurting walking and less in bed, I know that I'm still 'tender' under pressure. Trying to do a few core exercises now and then, planks, Russian Twist, a few weights. There's a 'Charity' 5K on Sunday 3rd Dec. . Think I'll do that and by then might be able to 'throw in' some speed :)

• Advertisement

Went to see a Physio, she said there is some flexibility issues, but that my injury is probably due to too much running. It was a very long season . I ran the half at the end of April. I could probably have run a good marathon in June or July, August even. It was too long, keeping it going . Was given a few stretches to help, 'Hip Flexor' 'Hamstring Stretch' and 'Hip Abduction'. Woke up in the middle of the night, in a lot of pain. A lot of soreness just above the knee and it sometimes spreads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry to read that, the best of luck with your recovery .

Feeling a lot better. I haven't done the 3 stretches recommended by the Physio since, namely Hip Flexor and Hamstring Stretch, also Hip Abduction. Think the latter in particular was a clear irritant. My experience of Physio's isn't great in this respect. It's rare, although does happen , that there's a 'silver-bullet' where one particular stretch provides great relief. Sometimes I feel that one requires above all rest. Hip Abduction may well help, once the injury has settled down, it may help to 'make me stronger'. But not yet.

There's a 'Charity 5K' tomorrow and I'm hoping to do it. There'l be no question of any speed but just by being there, I can at least enjiy the 'Social Side' of the occasion :)

After today's (slightly short) 5K I can see that my Knee is improving, but it will be the New Year at least before I'm able for any form of intensive Training. It definitely felt better than a few weeks ago. But still a 'weakness' around the knee socket,enough to know that it still needs a lot of t.l.c. At least I can still 'do a bit though' and enjoy the social side :)

Just over 2 miles gently run, no reaction from the knee. There was a few hills and tried to maintain my pace going up those. Was reading about the benefits of hills. Wore my glasses as I feared blinding winter sunshine but it wasn't bad today. 2 miles ordinarily is not much but in the context of rehabilitation it was worthwhile :) .

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend stretches before running ?. You'd think I would know at this stage but am never sure of the difference between dynamic and static stretches....Thanks :)

4 gentle runs over the last 5 days, think I'm on the way back. While short, all less than 3 miles, there is significant inclines on them all and tried to maintain a degree of pace on these sections. Read about how beneficial hills are . Injury a lot improved but at times I still know it's there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Can anyone recommend stretches before running ?. You'd think I would know at this stage but am never sure of the difference between dynamic and static stretches....Thanks :)

Dynamic before. Static after. If you google or use you tube you will find good examples for each. I have a little routine for before and a longer routine for after but to be honest i'd find it hard to describe them. Kinetic Revolution/James Dunne seems to be a good resource for runners, a lot of people recommend his 30 day challenge which works on mobility and strength and conditioning.
    4 gentle runs over the last 5 days, think I'm on the way back. While short, all less than 3 miles, there is significant inclines on them all and tried to maintain a degree of pace on these sections. Read about how beneficial hills are . Injury a lot improved but at times I still know it's there

I wouldn't worry about pace on the inclines, it'd be more important to keep good form.

Glad you are on the mend.

Thanks Ariana, found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanS74B4jpM and learned 'a few bits'. Your right too about form being more important than distance :)

Another 2.5 or so miles today, between the very heavy showers of which there was several today, wearing several layer in case I wasn't so lucky. It's not very comfortable running in multiple 'layers' but I view it as winter and anything done is better than nothing. I enjoy food a lot more if I'm after a run. There's a pleasant 'hunger' when I'm physically active and I feel entitled to eat 'well'. A few days without a 'workout' of some form and I don't enjoy food as much. I enjoy 'being hungry' :)

Am up 3 or 4lbs on the scales...Have lost significant amounts of weight 3 or 4 times in my life and do not want to have to go through it again. Don't think I've had so much as a sweet. How easily the pounds pile on... :)

Ran Parkrun today, yes on Christmas Day. It's not a time of year I especially like, it's not like in the ads for most people. So I was delighted with the chance to get out today. Don't know my time, probably 24 something and there was lot's of puddles in wet conditions but it was a great way to spend christmas morning. Towards the end of the run my knee, around the socket area again began to feel tender :( More than 8 weeks on from the DCM I'm still not 'right' :( but good to meet my friends, my abscence of late had been noticed :)

Goals for 2018 ?. Just to be involved,hopefully my knee will settle down, cycling seems to be helping. I've no desire to do another marathon, or even half. There's no particular race or place that I'm dying to do. Maybe, just maybe I might be able to break 21 minutes for 5K , have done 21'10 and 21'07 before, so maybe, just maybe,that might be something to aim for. Doing New Years Day Parkrun tomorrow. Can hopefully 'attack' it a little bit more, if I could be 23 something (as opposed to 24'15 last week) and if my knee could hold up, sort of :) that would be a good start to the New Year. Just to be involved and active and hopefully healthy,my goals for 2018 :)

I will also see O40 after my name for the first time in 2018 :) That will take getting used to but can hopefully embrace it :)

Did my New Years Day Parkrun and yes made it to 23'18. Found it incredibly tough, stopped and walked twice in the last mile and was 'caught' on the line for first in my age category. Surprising how fitness does start to go, after just 8 or so weeks of reduced activity. I felt a lot less fit than I was used to. Still my knee feels a lot improved and it was all 'rehabilitative' :) A nice way to spend New Years Day :)

I am one of the poorest performers in 'Bootcamp'. There is some with much worse figures, maybe a lot less 'fit', but they are stronger, better with weights and some have much better co-ordination. Last time I hurt my back slightly with weights. Resumed this morning, in the midst of storm 'Eleanor' (?) , in many cases the weights were omitted altogether or 'downgraded', tried to focus on the pose. Any little bit I can do will benefit me.

• Advertisement

Done about 2.5 miles today, not easy with all my layers and in the strong winter sun, they restrict movement and can feel a bit tight...had to adapt my route slightly and wear glasses as the sun was so strong...about 4 'sprints' , by that I mean 50-80 metres where I went fast,not always literally a sprint but faster than normal...that will make me stronger :) nice sprinking of hills too...just a faint 'tinge' in my knee at the end, it's nearly better I hope :) Might be the cycling

Anything done at this time of year is a bonus :)

6am HIT class, it's getting easier, a little, my 3rd class back after about 3 months. I'm still one of, if it not the weakest the weakest person in the class, but I'm getting a little bit stronger. Amazing how difficult it can be, after even a modest period of low activity levels.

Had a ran fairly consistent parkrun, by that I mean all w 3 miles were fairly similar, and more importantly I felt strong. Then slipped in the mud on my jog home requiring a trip to a busy A & E and stitches :(

https://www.irishtimes.com/…/joanne-o-riordan-all-ireland-g… Quite a good article on the dynamics of an amateur sport-team. Applicable to any sport or sports club really . Joanne is a good writer. I read the 'paper' version . Normally 2 miles means nothing but done a little over 2 miles, 2 days a row in very wet and dark conditions. That feels like an achievement :) Incorporated 2 or 3 'sprints' into each :) . A lot of 'cross training' in this weather. I enjoy the 'pleasant' hunger feel :)

Just this morning,a lady came up to me in a local 'coffee-shop' and said she had 'helped me' during my 'ill-fated' Dublin Marathon. She wasn't entirely sure of what had happened to me afterwards, as I had stopped and started before finally stopping altogether. But she said that she was worried about me. I was actually just glad to get home that night because it was 'touch and go', took a very long time to get actual treatment and taxi's were not easily available. Marathons in truth have never inspired me. 'Dublin' didn't inspire me. I can't say for sure, because things don't stay the same, but I doubt I'll ever do one again.

But one thing that did 'inspire' me a little bit, in some way, was the kindness of so many random strangers. So many stopped and expressed their concern as I lay 'stretched out' roadside. So many offered me food, clothing, pain killers, people were so kind. And this morning was just another expresssion of that. Really 'heart-warming' :).

Ironically when I completed my first marathon, I wasn't really much of a runner at all. Then last October, being very experienced, it 'goes south'. Probably less 'wear and tear' :)

6 weeks on and I'm tentatively returning to training, broke 23 minutes in Parkrun and 7 minutes for the mile (once) in a recent 4 Mile :) and contributed to a 'team victory', getting back :)

Cross-post from Parkrun, Ran in Ennis today. Finished in 22.20 which was my best time at this distance since August. More than that though, I got faster as the run went on, ran imiles n 7:28, 7:12 and 7:00, which was positive :) found myself 'running' up hills in later stages :)

Also posted in Random Running Questions, how to ensure better balance while doing squats, seemed very poor this morning. Isn't great in general, hence a tendency to injury myself with weights in 'Bootcamp', which I'm on an indefinite sabbatical from :)

Skipped 'Collective Training' because Acuweather predicted Thunderstorms for my area, even a few minutes ago it said thunder and there's been no sign of it all day, feeling a bit annoyed and also guilty....Is there a better weather app ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Skipped 'Collective Training' because Acuweather predicted Thunderstorms for my area, even a few minutes ago it said thunder and there's been no sign of it all day, feeling a bit annoyed and also guilty....Is there a better weather app ? :)

I find it hard to beat the Met Eireann site. The rainfall radar is brilliant for seeing what's on the way.

• Advertisement

Thanks 'Skyeblue', done my own run but it's never as good as what one does 'collectively'.

Advertisement