Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to from here ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

The mornings are becoming quite frosty. I'm partial to early morning runs. Darkness is 'manageable',rain is manageable but frost is dangerous. I really struggle to get out in the evenings,especially alone. Shall have to 'adapt'....

13.5 miles run,with half a mile walked at the end,to hopefully alleviate stiffness. Some was in daylight,some was in the dark. That's how much of an early bird I am,started my run at around 6am. Sunday morning was unsurprisingly very quiet in terms of traffic although as day broke there was plenty of dog walkers and the occasional runner. The darkness was tedious but daybreak was beautiful. Used a gel at 4 miles as I stopped in a hotel for water,forgot to bring my own,or any money. Was grateful that they allowed me to use their facilities. It was my first time using a gel in probably a year as forgot to bring them to the Charleville 'half-marathon' . I wanted to get my body used them again.

Although it's 4 weeks away that was probably my longest run in preparation for the Clare Half-Marathon in 4 week time,which as I've said actually passes the house where I grew up. Hoping to do the Munster Masters XC in 2 weeks so was trying to 'schedule' things. Have done 17 Parkruns but all in the same location so considering travelling next weekend,maybe to Galway,would really like to do a different one. But we shall see how I'm feeling and what the weather is like.

The last minute of my shower was as cold as I could handle as I tried to promote recovery,along with planks and lots of foam rolling.

Just barely broke 23 minutes in Parkrun today. Funny,I was over a minute faster 3 weeks ago and didn't feel under as much strain. Decided to go comfortably hard but comfortably hard was a lot slower than last time :) A lot of thigh strain ,in bed and the last few days in general. Is it that 14 miles 6 days ago is still in my legs or is it turning 40 recently?. Foam rolling isn't really working :) Ran quite a lot deliberately on grass with next weeks Munster Masters XC in mind. Hopefully I will be feeling better then than now :) Ran 2 miles before and 1 after. Should probably only walk tomorrow,although the temptation is always there :)

Took part in the Munster Masters XC in Clarecastle today. Not a race of great vintage I would say. Was towards the end,probably the bottom third. The ground was lumpy in places yet hard in others. Would have been easy to twist something,but that's XC in mid November I suppose. It wasn't the grounds fault,it was me and I slowed down a lot in the second mile before overtaking 2 girls in the home straight. It was however really nice to see new faces,to be amongst different people and maybe I'll see some of them again :) . Next up the Clare Half,which as I've said,passes the house where I grew up. Hopefully mummy will be out cheering :) .

Think it's time to give myself a boost. Will aim for a pb in the Clare Marathon. It passes Ardnacrusha Power station and contains a few steep inclines. 1:43:14 is my pb. So to finish in 1:42 would require 7:45 miles. That will be my goal and I can sign off on a good year personally,if not a great one running-wise. Some good times this year but a lot of mediocrity. Last year gave my all in nearly every race. Have found that harder this year.

• Advertisement

Just after a sports massage (E40 for a half and hour-hope to get some back through my Insurance). Had a lot of muscular strain,tfl muscles strained apparently,had never heard that term before. I nearly always learn something new,recommended I do a few 'bridge' like stretches before I run,but 'creep' out the toes a foot or so. Do about 4 or 5 of them he said. So hopefully that will help me get through the 'Clare-Half' on 2nd December. Before then,probably Parkrun saturday,maybe even try a different one,17 Parkruns,all in one location,time for a change :) .

As posted in 'Parkrun' made the 3 hour trip to Knocknacarra,Co.Galway and did better than in the Munster Masters,finishing 22'10. The sports massage thursday did indeed work out some of the strain in my thighs and I was able to run with less discomfort. A lot of hills,both up and down,partially alongside a Gaa pitch,partially almost cross-country on the surrounding trails. A fast first lap took quite a bit out of me,and I was slower in the final 2,almost stopping,but I remembered my friends words 'slow down to just a slow jog' but don't stop,so I did and finished with a customary sprint :) . Did 2 miles before and 2 after as I put in the final mileage for the Clare Half next weekend. It was nice to see new faces,the bus driver was lovely,really trying his best to ensure I found my way and enjoyed the Christmas market afterwards :) .

Not run since Monday as struggling with a cold all week. Maybe it was the wind in Galway have always had sensitive ears,they get sore very easily. As for the Clare Half-,it's unlikely that a pb is going to be possible,even if my cold does improve. Will probably go with the 1'45 pacer and hope to stay there. Going to check the weather now.

Spent the morning 'bucket collecting' for a local domestic violence related charity,done so several times before,but significantly on my feet, and worried about being 'on my feet',all at the local saturday market. Trying to eat well but not so much that I'm stuffed. Actually indulged in meat,which is rare,as I tried to consume sufficient protein,although the day before is probably a bit late for protein pre-occupation ?. Met some friends from the running community,including stewards tomorrow,who advised me to go to bed early. It's now 19:45 and I will go,soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Good luck tomorrow.

• Advertisement

A punishing Clare Half saw me loose touch with the 1:45 pacers in the final mile or two and sprint across the line in 1:45:40. Had been ahead of them for long periods but an undulating course saw me fade towards the end. There was very little flat or straight road,we always seemed to be going up or down on a cold and at times extremely wet winters day. Mum was at the door and I waved to her as I passed,also enjoyed some pleasant exchanges with other runners at different stages :) .

Around mile 11 my hip,knee,started to hurt,I slowed down,even stopped a few times and really lost the will to 'fight' to stay with the '1:45'. Question marks exist as to whether my knees are capable of sustaining me for a marathon (which I'm entered for on 6th May) but now I suppose is not the time to make a decision. See how the next month or 2 go.

It was still a nice occasion today,without any travel involved,and well that's just my 5th Half-Marathon :). It's been a reasonable year of running for me,taken part in lot's of events,some good days,some mediocre,but it's been a good year for me personally and not a bad way to spend a Decembers day :)

apZKMWn.jpg
    Finishers medal

Feels now like the end of a cycle. Not going to training tonight,I think it's best I don't. Think I will take the next month fairly easy and recharge somewhat,mentally and physically. Will continue to run,but for enjoyment and not for time. Also keep working on strength. Including Parkrun have taken part in about 30 events this year,probably at most half of them were taken in any way seriously but 'still.'....

If 'project marathon' goes ahead,I'd be aiming to run about 40 seconds slower per mile than in the half. Whether that would be sufficient to delay the problems that I normally experience at around mile 10/11 in a half,I don't know . Now is not the time to decide.

Hmmm just looking at some training plans
    Doubt my knees would hold up to the rigour of this http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/competitive-marathon-training-plan/

The following might be more manageable
    http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/beginners-marathon-training-plan/

Apart from mileage it appears that there is no Fartlek ,only tempo runs in the Beginners plan. While the mileage would suit me better in the beginners plan,I would inevitably combine Fartlek and tempo,to some extent anyway,although probably just one or the other,most of the time,in one week. My knee is limited in it's capacity. After I reached only 20 miles in the dcm last year I know that my knee needs protection,in training and until the latter stages of an actual marathon.

My goal would be 3:49 should I proceed. Existing pb is 3:59.

After 2 months of 'rehab' regardind my IT Band and it's not working. Think I'm going to seek a referral for an MRI and maybe seek a deferral of my marathon place. Try to get a doctors letter. My IT band is not up to the rigors of a marathon training plan :( .

Parkrun tomorrow,which is great because I've frequently found myself feeling rather sad at Christmas. It's rarely as perfect as in the ads.

It'll get me out and kill a few hours,meet people and hopefully feel better afterwards. I'll take it as a tempo run,or at least try to make some sort of an effort to go beyond 'easy'.

Wednesday is the County 10K and that will be typical of a weekend long slow run with hopefully a mile or two before and after being thrown in also.

**** I can defer my place in the Limerick Marathon until the end of March,which is good news. But now is not the time to make that decision.

Happy Christmas,Nollaig Shona :) S

22'10 todays Parkrun,which was very well attended,close on 200. Lot's of festive costumes,even some chocolate and wine :) . The best way possible to spend Christmas Day and pretty happy with my time :) . Ran at a testing pace,but never went flat out,until the end when I briefly thought that breaking 22 minutes might be possible,realised fairly quickly that it wasn't quite. But 3 miles at slightly over 7 minute pace was a great way to spend Christmas Day morning,plus the scenery along the riverbank at such a tranquil time,was really relaxing :) . A few times felt like stopping but followed a friends advice and just slowed down and usually there would be a downhill section soon enough which would enable me to pick up the pace again :) . Great to meet so many other runners too and a great way to spend Christmas Day morning :) .

Off to the County 10K Championships now. Two days in a row should not be demanding,so today will be a jog,not a race. Hopefully the team will not be looking for points from me :) . Then it will be off to write the report as standing in for p.r.o. duties over Christmas :) . Ate fairly yesterday but if anything actually down on the scales :)

Slightly over 51 minutes,on a tough 10K course,some downhills but mostly up. Not a great time but after making a bit of an effort in Parkrun today was always supposed to be fairly easy.Did about 9 miles in total (1.5 warm up and warm down down roughly)at a fairly gentle pace. Although there was no gentle way to go up those hills,they were still tough :) . Rushed home to include details of the race in my pro. report before the local newspaper deadline. I was unavoidably late but hopefully not 'too late'. A great Christmas of running :) .

22'03 in yesterdays New Years Day Parkrun. Think I am getting better at 5k's even now you know. Or perhaps it's intimate knowledge of this particular Parkrun course. But I think I am actually able to pace myself better. I can go a little bit hard for a while,slow down and recover for a while,then go for it again. I am not breaking pb's but I am able to run faster with less effort,on this route anyway :) . It was a lovely start to the new year.

• Advertisement

22'09 in Parkrun. That's a very consistent run of times,22'10,22'03 and 22'09. Would probably have been a few seconds quicker if I had started closer to the front and not found it difficult to pass in the first mile. It can be quite narrow in places. Only passed the 23' pacer with little over a mile to go. My splits were 7'18,7'02 and 7'16 (miles) before my customary sprint finish. A good workout is the main thing and we are indeed blessed with the weather these past few weeks :)

Next step is to try a 10 miler next week and see if a marathon might be realistic. So experimenting with the world of gels. It's a while since I've used them (apart from 1 in the half before Christmas,which I found a bit of hit-I mean found it a bit of shock to the system). These one's I was told are the easiest one's to use,so shall start experimenting. Wednesday or thursday hopefully :)
    gf5RSu7.jpg

Just to update,have done a few more Parkruns,mostly at UL but also one in Ennis. 22'43,22'09 and today in extremely wet conditions 23'34. Amazing the difference in times that 'comfortably hard' can yield. Next weekend there's a 10k in aid of a local hospital. Have not tried to race a 10K for a while,so will see what 'comfortably hard' yields in that instance,I suppose the weather can make a difference. I just didn't really feel as 'up for it' in my layers this morning,not as comfortable I suppose,when one has to multilayer. Will be unrecognisable in the photos :)

There's an initiative next week to introduce asylum seekers to Parkrun and to promote social inclusion in this way. I wish them the very best with this. Social contact can only help to break down barriers and prejudice. People function better and are healthier when socially included. I'm not a prophet or an activist in any form,but I do think that is a good initiative :)

Well I ended up in the Phoenix Park Saturday for the 'Irish Runner 10 mile'. Left home by taxi at 4:45am by taxi and was in Dublin by 8am. Think I covered about 17 miles by foot over the course of the day,about 13,maybe 13.5 were running and maybe 3k each way from Heuston Station to the start area :)

Anyway as for the race itself,well this year I've been adopting a slightly different methodology. Before I would have had a time in mind and tried to stick to the same pace,from start to finish. But in reality not every mile is the same :). Anyway this year I've been running 'by feeling',going faster 'when I'm able',slowing down 'when I need to' and trying to finish fast,after all,nothing to loose when it's coming to an end eh? :)

Wasn't sure what wave to start in there was 3,separated by 2 minutes,was in 2 minds,dithered,logically I should have been in the second,but got stuck in the first with about 2 minutes to go and couldn't find my way out :)

Covered the first mile in 7:40,I knew that was probably a little slower than I was capable of,seen 1 or 2 ahead of me and I knew they probably 'shouldn't have been'. Was trying not to be competitive,just to do my own thing but when you've prepared for something for 6 weeks,that is easier said than done :) Anyway I noticed that the road was at that point relatively straight,slight decline even,so I decided to try to go a bit faster,mile 2 was covered in 6:55,passed my sister somewhere on mile 3 and covered that in 6:59. However at that point I knew I had over exerted,I began to feel that the acceleration had been a mistake,maybe appropriate in a 5K but it was too early in a 10 miler. I simply had to slow down and hopefully recover,mile 4 was 7:34 and mile 5 in 7:54. It's a tough course the Phoenix park,lot's of ups and downs but I must say beautiful and I really enjoyed being there.

In the second half I was feeling better,I felt possibly I could go faster,but I didn't want to 'die' a second time,I decided just to stick to a 'comfortably hard' or 'sustainable' pace 7:27,7:22 and 7:30 were my times for miles 6,7,and 8,during which I almost 'lost my breath' as I attempted to use my one and only 'gel' without water to wash it down,quite a potent mix so it was :) . Mile 9 was largely uphill,i felt very tempted to walk,but kept going at the slowest not walking pace possible, for a bit,and it was done in 8:15,my slowest mile of the course.

A steward did say that once we got up that hill at the end of mile 9 'that it was straight to the finish',i wasn't sure whether to believe him because I had heard about a tough finish. However he was right and what's more the last 'half' was actually slightly 'down' and man encouraged me to stay with him :) I tentatively accelerated again and was able to sustain it,finishing in 6:54 and a 74:34 chip time :) .

I collected my medal and wondered how my sister was getting on. A few minutes later I caught a glimpse of her heading towards the finish. We posed for a few photo's then done our own thing. I did my warm down,gorged on protein milk and head towards town. Met a friend and her daughter for lunch. A few qualms about the organisation of this race,but it was still a great day,great experience. My body and all that money spent on Physio and sports massage 2 days previous was worth it!.

Next up is Galway Bay in early October for the 'Half',a few Parkruns and in a few weeks will start upping the mileage again in preparation for that.

74:34 was almost exactly what those 'race predictors' had suggested. I had in the end 'ran to form' and was happy🙂

Advertisement