Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIK on EVs.

Options

Comments

Did anyone get any info on the insurance implications of moving from privately owning/insuring a car to going through your company?

I'm waiting for my insurer to come back to me with answers. The main questions are:
    - Will it cost more? How much?
    - How does it affect your NCD if you revert to private ownership in a few years (e.g. if the BIK does not remain at 0%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Did anyone get any info on the insurance implications of moving from privately owning/insuring a car to going through your company?

I'm waiting for my insurer to come back to me with answers. The main questions are:
    - Will it cost more? How much?
    - How does it affect your NCD if you revert to private ownership in a few years (e.g. if the BIK does not remain at 0%)

You need to be named on the policy and you have some chance.

I moved to company car, when I moved they said that I would be named on the policy. It was over 4 year contract and I never checked. When I moved off the company car it turned out after year 1 they moved to just insure the car. I wasnt named

When I tried to get my insurance, it was disaster, most companies would not even quote. Even my old insurance company which I had been with for 10+ before said they could not quote.

Finally I got Blue Insurance at a massive price. I now have the grand total of 1 year no claims.....when renewing I was restricted again as most companies would still not quote

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I had my own policy the a company one for ten years, only 25plus.ie would give me a partial NCD for named company driver

However they all gave me a NCD for being named on my wife’s policy. So if you can be named on a regular policy it’ll help

So I mailed Chill, asking about the price and NCD.

Price: sales team won't quote, go directly to insurance company/companies.

NCD: "...once you forfeit the NCB into a company name, you can’t change it back generally speaking. It is up to the insurer if they will accept it, but normally, this isn’t accepted."

:eek:

That would be a major catch. I had been increasingly minded to go for this early next year. However, say the 0% BIK lasts five years (the commitment is '3 to 5 years'). After that, BIK makes owning any company car unattractive again so I'd switch back to personal ownership and insurance. If insurance then cost 2k or something for a couple of years, it would undo a lot of the benefit of this incentive.

Please tell me I'm wrong! I was all set to do this in Feb - buy 2nd hand Leaf through, sell current car (cash in my own pocket). Oh save and the environment from carbon and those particulate thingies that diesel engines spew..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Re: EV company cars and 0% BIK

Has anyone looked at importing a used Tesla S from the UK.

They're available for approaching £40k now and VAT qualifying are available too for another saving to a VAT registered company.

How much would VRT be on a 2014 Tesla S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

How much would VRT be on a 2014 Tesla S?

€2k - 3.5k depending on spec and mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

"VAT qualifying are available too for another saving to a VAT registered company."

not sure about the vat on a company car, i thought it was only for commercial vehicles , vans trucks etc.

cros13 wrote: »
    €2k - 3.5k depending on spec and mileage.

5k discount on VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

€2-3.5k VRT after taking the discount into account... :rolleyes:

grogi wrote: »
    €2-3.5k VRT after taking the discount into account... :rolleyes:

OoooOOOhhh :o

Jaysus.

• Advertisement

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    "VAT qualifying are available too for another saving to a VAT registered company."

not sure about the vat on a company car, i thought it was only for commercial vehicles , vans trucks etc.

Do you know what VAT Qualifying means?

Or are you not sure about that too? :rolleyes:

Do you know what VAT Qualifying means?

Or are you not sure about that too? :rolleyes:

enlighten me

enlighten me

So you commented on it without knowing what it was?

Strange...

Lots of people comment on stuff on here all the time and are not experts in that field or backup what they say with facts etc.
    so why are you busting my balls ??

Ive done some digging (to try to enlighten myself;)) on revenue.ie and on this forum

looks like (ps im not an expert) that vat is reclaimable on certain passenger vehicles, but not all.

Vat on commercial vehicles is reclaimable
    and vat charged on UK Vans sold to irish Vat registered LTD companies should be sold Vat free.

links:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/reclaiming-vat/how-vat-on-passenger-motor-vehicles-can-be-reclaimed..aspx

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055136128

Lots of people comment on stuff on here all the time and are not experts in that field or backup what they say with facts etc.
    so why are you busting my balls ??

Ive done some digging (to try to enlighten myself;)) on revenue.ie and on this forum

looks like (ps im not an expert) that vat is reclaimable on certain passenger vehicles, but not all.

Vat on commercial vehicles is reclaimable
    and vat charged on UK Vans sold to irish Vat registered LTD companies should be sold Vat free.

links:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/reclaiming-vat/how-vat-on-passenger-motor-vehicles-can-be-reclaimed..aspx

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055136128

This is a thread on BIK on EVs, so company cars.

If a VAT registered Irish company buys a VAT qualifying used car from a VAT registered company in the UK, for business use in Ireland, then the Irish company is entitled to buy the car net of VAT.

If a VAT registered Irish company buys a VAT qualifying used car from a VAT registered company in the UK, for business use in Ireland, then the Irish company is entitled to buy the car net of VAT.

do you have any links to revenue.ie or similar for the above?

well if this is the case, then it makes perfect sense to buy a used model S from UK and import it in here as a LTD company

Will Tesla UK allow you to buy one from their website/showrooms in UK and export it to Ireland? (or is it none of their business once you buy it)

I suppose the main issue would be getting Irish finance verses Tesla's own finance/leasing/pcp options here in Ireland once (if) they start selling used ones over here.

An Irish bank will be looking for 8-10% APR plus for any company loans you take out before traveling to the UK.

verses Tesla Irelands own Finance on a new one currently 5.85% apr (assuming they would give you that rate on an irish used one at Tesla Ireland in the future)

Is the insurance issue not scaring off more people or am I being overly negative? The incentive is strong in the short term but if you were starting from scratch insurance-wise at some point in the future, it would be a nightmare.

do you have any links to revenue.ie or similar for the above?

well if this is the case, then it makes perfect sense to buy a used model S from UK and import it in here as a LTD company

Will Tesla UK allow you to buy one from their website/showrooms in UK and export it to Ireland? (or is it none of their business once you buy it)

I suppose the main issue would be getting Irish finance verses Tesla's own finance/leasing/pcp options here in Ireland once (if) they start selling used ones over here.

An Irish bank will be looking for 8-10% APR plus for any company loans you take out before traveling to the UK.

verses Tesla Irelands own Finance on a new one currently 5.85% apr (assuming they would give you that rate on an irish used one at Tesla Ireland in the future)

It's not an issue for the Irish Revenue but the UK Revenue & Customs.

Sales of goods from a UK VAT registered company to another EU VAT registered company are called dispatches.

The explanation is here;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-exports-dispatches-and-supplying-goods-abroad

I don't know about buying Tesla UK approved used cars for export to Ireland. But I'm trying to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Is the insurance issue not scaring off more people or am I being overly negative? The incentive is strong in the short term but if you were starting from scratch insurance-wise at some point in the future, it would be a nightmare.

You're not the only one... I too think that the insurance setback will wipe out any savings - if you intend to take personal ownership of the car effectually.

I think this benefit is only a real benefit for people who were getting a company car anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This might be good news. Dawning on all that Ev's are the future for reducing emissions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/electric-cars-key-to-cutting-ireland-s-carbon-emissions-esb-says-1.3303434

• Advertisement

Is this electric vehicle covered by the new rules? (In case you can't click, it's an electric flying car!)

Spoke to my accountant. He says 'Do it, do it if you can at all.' Pretty much the biggest tax break around bar topping up pensions.

However, I'm yet to crack the insurance thing. Awaiting a quote from a broker as AXA and Chill both advised that they don't do direct business for company car insurance. Have no clue whether it's going to come back at some extortionate rate or what.

A friend - who is not an accountant - reckons you can depreciate the car over five years so it's worthless as a company asset by the time the '3-5 year' BIK exemption runs out (if it runs out at all). Then the company either keeps it or sells it to someone for a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Spoke to my accountant. He says 'Do it, do it if you can at all.' Pretty much the biggest tax break around bar topping up pensions.

However, I'm yet to crack the insurance thing. Awaiting a quote from a broker as AXA and Chill both advised that they don't do direct business for company car insurance. Have no clue whether it's going to come back at some extortionate rate or what.

The insurance is a worry alright. Back to paying €2k+ for insurance would take the good out of the whole thing.

Is it possible at all to take insurance on a car thats not in your name?

What about buying a €50 car and insuring that to maintain your NCD? It would be a waste of money from the point of view of having a car insured that you don't use but if the BIK advantage (thousands) minus the few hundred for 3rd party insurance on a €50 car puts you in positive money territory maybe that would be an option?
    A friend - who is not an accountant - reckons you can depreciate the car over five years so it's worthless as a company asset by the time the '3-5 year' BIK exemption runs out (if it runs out at all). Then the company either keeps it or sells it to someone for a euro.

Its better than that actually. You can depreciate it all in year 1 as long as the car is on this register....
    https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/accelerated-capital-allowance/

Wowsers. My plan for a 2nd-hand Nissan Leaf just got upgraded!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Wowsers. My plan for a 2nd-hand Nissan Leaf just got upgraded!

Well, read the fine detail. I think it has to be new.

Yeah, but if you can depreciate it in one year then I'm getting a new one. Or a freakin' Tesla :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The company can depreciate it in year one for sure but tax has to be paid on the remaining value when it's disposed of. Plus you're only saving 12.5% corporation tax anyway so not a massive benefit.

Ah, I see - thanks.

So, can you depreciate it over five years and consider it to be worth zero at the end? Then sell it to your brother for a euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You can do that for sure but I wouldn't fancy your chances in a revenue audit, you have to dispose at market value.

Roger.

Sound advice, thanks. I did sound a bit too good to be true.

Otherwise, buy two (or 10, if you could) 50k cars and sell them next year for 35k each!

Back to reality: it's still sensible enough to buy a new Leaf or other modest vehicle, providing the insurance issue doesn't become too complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

How many years without insurance enough to lose your NCD? If I, lets say, come back to private with one year gap, would they still not take into account previous 5+ years NCD?

Advertisement