Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

3 years is a bit mad but good luck to him.

I suppose it's a win/win really. He's 33 in October. I don't know his personal situation but he's getting to play professional rugby for at least 3 more seasons which is good going at that age. He's moving to a nice town near wine country in the west of France to wind down his playing career, learn a new language etc.

For Angouleme, they're getting an internationally capped back row player who isn't anything special but should be able to perform at that level fairly comfortably. I'd imagine they're getting him at a discount also given his age and lack of impact/involvement in recent times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    I suppose it's a win/win really. He's 33 in October. I don't know his personal situation but he's getting to play professional rugby for at least 3 more seasons which is good going at that age. He's moving to a nice town near wine country in the west of France to wind down his playing career, learn a new language etc.

I mean, its no Rhone valley...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Irish Times have outline of what rugby schedule for rest of year could look like. I'm not sure why an Autumn 6 Nations would be played so soon after this season's postponed games. Is it to do with global calendar? Or because November series can't happen?

Would think there's fairly big asterisk besides all these.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/autumn-six-nations-could-cap-a-busy-seven-test-schedule-for-ireland-1.4258588?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rugby - Provisional Fixture List

Aug 21-23 - Pro 14: Leinster v Munster, Aviva Stadium; Ulster v Connacht, Aviva Stadium

August 28-30 - Pro 14: Leinster v Ulster, Aviva stadium; Munster v Connacht, Aviva Stadium

Sept 5: Pro 14 semi-final

Sept 12: Champions Cup quarter-finals: Leinster v Saracens, Aviva Stadium; Toulouse v Ulster*

Sept 17: Pro 14 final

Sept 26: Champions Cup semi-final

Oct 3: Ireland v Italy + Pro 14 round 1

Oct 10: France v Ireland* + Pro 14 round 2

Oct 17: Champions Cup Final, Marseilles

Oct 31: Pro 14 round 3

October 23 -November/December
    Autumn Six Nations

*tbc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Presumably most of these games will be played behind closed doors.

Although isn't there provision for up to 5,000 spectators to attend from August in Ireland? The rules are slightly different up here and that may not be allowed by then?

Although I was listening to a football podcast yesterday where they were talking about the Bundesliga saying that in reality you probably could get a couple of thousands fans into matches and comfortably socially distance...however what happens if they all need the toilet?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    Presumably most of these games will be played behind closed doors.

Although isn't there provision for up to 5,000 spectators to attend from August in Ireland? The rules are slightly different up here and that may not be allowed by then?

Although I was listening to a football podcast yesterday where they were talking about the Bundesliga saying that in reality you probably could get a couple of thousands fans into matches and comfortably socially distance...however what happens if they all need the toilet?!!

Your last line is sort of the issue I think, it’s not the people sitting watching the match that would cause difficulties, they can allocate seats quite easily it’s everything else that goes with it, access and egress all the facilities being open and the amount of staff it would take to implement which also causes its own hassle by having all the extra staff needing to social distance etc.

• Advertisement

Jesus that's a crazy schedule. If Leinster (or Ulster) happen to win their games, a number of players would potentially have 10 consecutive weeks of interpros, knock outs or test rugby....going into an autumn test series.

It's not really viable unless they field a second string team for a few of those weeks and/or a number of test players get a rest for the Italy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Jesus that's a crazy schedule. If Leinster (or Ulster) happen to win their games, a number of players would potentially have 10 consecutive weeks of interpros, knock outs or test rugby....going into an autumn test series.

It's not really viable unless they field a second string team for a few of those weeks and/or a number of test players get a rest for the Italy game.

It is all a bit mad.......

jacothelad wrote: »
    It is all a bit mad.......

It just isn't possible given they then have to commence a full normal season thereafter (or close to it) culminating in a Lions tour. Guys will be fatigued and mentally shattered before Christmas.

They need to use November as the opportunity to close out the 6N, I'd have thought.

If that schedule is put in place (and I doubt it will be), I'd expect Leinster to field a second string side for at least one interpro and the Pro14 semi final as well as tightly control the pitch minutes of players in other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I presume that venues are all fluid?

Like, if the Pro14 final ends up being Leinster v Munster, they won't ship everyone over to Cardiff for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Like, if the Pro14 final ends up being Leinster v Munster, they won't ship everyone over to Cardiff for it?

You’d have to think there’s enough sense to allow for that

• Advertisement

Wider point aside Isn’t Leinster Munster almost certainly a semi? I presume top in each group plays second in the other?

salmocab wrote: »
    Wider point aside Isn’t Leinster Munster almost certainly a semi? I presume top in each group plays second in the other?

There's only 2 points between Munster and Edinburgh. There's a decent chance that Munster finish top still.

There's only 2 points between Munster and Edinburgh. There's a decent chance that Munster finish top still.

Ah right although I suppose all bets are off regards form anyway. Also it assumes the inter pros count. All pie in the sky for now though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is the proposal closed doors or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »

If it isn't there is no way sides should cede home games to Leinster. The Aviva is a home tie for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yes. No plans for any fans to attend any matches in 2020.

• Administrators Posts: 53,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jacothelad wrote: »
    If it isn't there is no way sides should cede home games to Leinster. The Aviva is a home tie for Leinster.

Yea that's totally daft. Why on earth should Leinster get an extra home game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yea that's totally daft. Why on earth should Leinster get an extra home game?

Presumably it has to do with minimizing the employ of security guards, cameramen, medical support, broadcast staff etc etc by playing games in one venue.

Will the pitch be sanitized after the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

They've already said that Lansdowne is being designated as the only ground because then they don't have to COVID proof a bunch of stadiums.

They just do it once. Some of the details are here.

Have to add in Championship Cup games too to that schedule. Dunno how it will all work tbh

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Have to add in Championship Cup games too to that schedule. Dunno how it will all work tbh

Something has to give somewhere the earliest games are going to have more restrictions presumably especially around travel.
    The back to back interpros make logistical sense and whether they count as league games is probably down to whether the other countries can host theirs.

troyzer wrote: »
    They've already said that Lansdowne is being designated as the only ground because then they don't have to COVID proof a bunch of stadiums.

They just do it once. Some of the details are here.

For holding a double header they also have the Astro club (not sure what club it is) pitch behind the stadium where the teams for the second game can warm up minimizing the time between kick off.

It should also be feasible to have everyone tested before returning to training camp, and every few days or weekly before games, and have a test done and returned the day before the game.

Eod100 wrote: »

Presumably you mean the opening rounds of the 20/21 cup? which depends on rankings from completion of this years competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

For holding a double header they also have the Astro club (not sure what club it is) pitch behind the stadium where the teams for the second game can warm up minimizing the time between kick off.

It should also be feasible to have everyone tested before returning to training camp, and every few days or weekly before games, and have a test done and returned the day before the game.

UK seems to be refusing exemptions for the f1 teams which is a big issue for the proposed f1 calendar. That has a knock on impact to Europe and pro14 in rugby. And we seem to be going down that road now too which will make cross border fixtures a major headache. Travel advice is still the same, essential only

Don’t think the plan is for a double header think it’s two games over the weekend

Presumably you mean the opening rounds of the 20/21 cup? which depends on rankings from completion of this years competition.

Yup, they do but can still be scheduled in advance provisionally on basis leagues can be finished or places will be granted some way. Top 14 finished, questions around whether Premiership can. Guess depends on if Champions Cup will have changed format too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That's Lansdowne FC's pitch (yeah yeah Wanderers RFC play there too, but they don't count).

There's actually a sizeable warm up room in the bowls of Lansdowne by the home changing room, I think the only way to get to it is via the changing room tho.

That's Lansdowne FC's pitch (yeah yeah Wanderers RFC play there too, but they don't count).

There's actually a sizeable warm up room in the bowls of Lansdowne by the home changing room, I think the only way to get to it is via the changing room tho.

Think that’s only from dressing room 1 the other 3 have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cheeky. Aussies would owe Fiji a small fortune

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1263424298729066496?s=19

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Cheeky. Aussies would owe Fiji a small fortune

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1263424298729066496?s=19

Not sure football has formalised transfer fees really it’s just the cost of buying a contract off another club, the Bosman ruling would presumably be relevant. As rugby players tend to sign shorter contracts and don’t too often leave early this would seem to be a nothing story. Out of contract players not being allowed take up employment somewhere unless someone pays someone else seems like a harsh thing that employment law is unlikely to be compatible with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement