Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

For holding a double header they also have the Astro club (not sure what club it is) pitch behind the stadium where the teams for the second game can warm up minimizing the time between kick off.

It should also be feasible to have everyone tested before returning to training camp, and every few days or weekly before games, and have a test done and returned the day before the game.
    lansdowne pitch yeah very possible to do that or teams could simply warm up elsewhere like they usually do on a match day
    That's Lansdowne FC's pitch (yeah yeah Wanderers RFC play there too, but they don't count).

There's actually a sizeable warm up room in the bowls of Lansdowne by the home changing room, I think the only way to get to it is via the changing room tho.
    its not that sizeable and teanms cant do much
    salmocab wrote: »
    Think that’s only from dressing room 1 the other 3 have nothing.
    2 main have then do they not or am I confusing them with crokers as I've been in those quite a bit
    Not sure football has formalised transfer fees really it’s just the cost of buying a contract off another club, the Bosman ruling would presumably be relevant. As rugby players tend to sign shorter contracts and don’t too often leave early this would seem to be a nothing story. Out of contract players not being allowed take up employment somewhere unless someone pays someone else seems like a harsh thing that employment law is unlikely to be compatible with.
    Soccer does have transfer Fees though and it's not exactly buying out the players existing contract.
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Cheeky. Aussies would owe Fiji a small fortune

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1263424298729066496?s=19
    as would lot other countries. Georgians would love it considering number front 5 playing there...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

[quote="The Lost Sheep;113509397"

Soccer does have transfer Fees though and it's not exactly buying out the players existing contract..[/quote]

No it’s not buying out contracts it’s buying the contract off the other club. There are fees due to the underage setups they come through to be fair though but I think it’s a percentage of the transfer fees up to a certain age. However ultimately they are employees looking for new jobs and making people pay anything else if someone is out of contract and wants to take up employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cheeky. Aussies would owe Fiji a small fortune

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1263424298729066496?s=19

Transfer fees wouldnt help them at all. No wonder Aussie rugby is a mess if people like that are in charge. The Australian players leave when they are out of contract..no transfer fees needed

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

AdamD wrote: »
    Transfer fees wouldnt help them at all. No wonder Aussie rugby is a mess if people like that are in charge. The Australian players leave when they are out of contract..no transfer fees needed

Plenty of sports enforce compensation in situations where players leave when out of contract. American sports reward with compensatory draft picks in some situations, in soccer its transfer fees for free agents below certain ages. No reason World Rugby couldn't investigate doing something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Clegg wrote: »
    Sounds like Malcolm Marx and PSDT are moving to Europe. No doubt some French club will make out like bandits.

https://twitter.com/MartGillingham/status/1261207251660034049?s=19

Du Toit is staying put... Perhaps he won't be receiving a pay-cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If they don't do it now, they never will. An opportunity to make the first step has landed in their laps and almost been forced upon them. It would be great to have an aligned season although I do dread if there's ever a month or two with no rugby to watch at all.

It's going to be exceptionally difficult to achieve though with the agreement of all stakeholders. I can see the T14 being a real stumbling block and they've already sent a letter demanding to be involved in discussions (as all domestic teams should, in fairness). They have 26 regular season games followed by playoffs/finals. Half the league is playing 27 league matches minimum along with at least 6 European games. A French club can potentially play 38 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The number of games is unsustainable. I think the future at club level is likely less games with < 40 players in a squad.

The overlap/"doublons" has long been a bone of contention with the Top14.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,835 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Buer wrote: »
    If they don't do it now, they never will. An opportunity to make the first step has landed in their laps and almost been forced upon them. It would be great to have an aligned season although I do dread if there's ever a month or two with no rugby to watch at all.

It's going to be exceptionally difficult to achieve though with the agreement of all stakeholders. I can see the T14 being a real stumbling block and they've already sent a letter demanding to be involved in discussions (as all domestic teams should, in fairness). They have 26 regular season games followed by playoffs/finals. Half the league is playing 27 league matches minimum along with at least 6 European games. A French club can potentially play 38 games.

The Top 14 is mental, far too many matches. Players get about 5mins for an offseason. One of rugby's fundamental issues is lack of unified control of the game. There are so many disparate entities protecting their slice of the pie. It's one of the big advantages the American organisations have, they speak with one voice for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The thing is there actually is unified control of the game. They just don’t use it. If they extend Reg 9 there’s not much the Top 14 can do about it, not even vote against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ministers have pushed for the 2m social distancing rule to be eased as the government considers lifting more Covid-19 restrictions.
    At a Cabinet meeting, ministers suggested Ireland should follow other European countries in reducing the strict social distancing rule to 1m.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can anyone explain the logic of playing Leinster v Munster at the Aviva behind closed doors?

They could play these matches on secondary school pitches.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can anyone explain the logic of playing Leinster v Munster at the Aviva behind closed doors?

Presumably it's safer there than it would be to set up TV cameras and commentary stations around the local CBS. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Covid19 prep. Cleaning and the likes

Aviva Stadium has been prepared for BCD games for that reason

Edit - in order to show on TV, ground is set up. Other places are not TV ready as such and involve a personnel heavy set up on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

TV facilities mainly. Medical as well. Enough space to ensure social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

its a closed off venue. A secondary school or anywhere else isnt near that.
    If they have provincial double headers there is enough facilities for media and everyone else to properly cover the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Currently getting the Aviva ready

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's a TV studio and camera positions, proper changing and medical facilities, coaches boxes, gates on the Aviva. Would you rather watch the whole thing on TV with all the cameras at ground level?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fair enough. The RDS is more than adequate though

I'm sure the facilities at the RDS pale in comparison to the Aviva.

No its not. For a double header, for space, for TV camera set up etc. All the effort was put onto a few locations for rugby and football.

No its not. For a double header, for space, for TV camera set up etc. All the effort was put onto a few locations for rugby and football.

Don’t think it’s to be a double header, think it’s two games over the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm sure the facilities at the RDS pale in comparison to the Aviva.

And they'd be paying rent for the RDS while their own stadium lies empty.

What problem are we trying to solve here?

And they'd be paying rent for the RDS while their own stadium lies empty.

What problem are we trying to solve here?

Yeah I think an empty RDS might prove a bit upsetting to some! :pac:

Don’t think it’s to be a double header, think it’s two games over the weekend

So you then need to open up 2 stadiums, which means more people are exposed to players, staff etc.

The whole point is to limit the number of ppl involved in staging games.

I imagine they'll play one game on a Saturday, sanitise everything overnight and play a second game on a Sunday. The IRFU statement mentions two days.
    Having two teams share a dressing room in the same day doesn't sound that bright to me, but what do I know?

It's mad to think it's still three months away. It will hopefully be the longest offseason of our lives!

So you then need to open up 2 stadiums, which means more people are exposed to players, staff etc.

The whole point is to limit the number of ppl involved in staging games.

No same stadium two days in a row, same staff presumably but less people there because half the teams and their staff that you envisaged.

• Advertisement

I imagine they'll play one game on a Saturday, sanitise everything overnight and play a second game on a Sunday. The IRFU statement mentions two days.
    Having two teams share a dressing room in the same day doesn't sound that bright to me, but what do I know?

There’s 4 dressing rooms in the Aviva. But I’m pretty sure it’s 2 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement