Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Speaking of French 10s, Clermont have shipped so many injuries to their 10s this season that Isaia Toeava was named at 10 for the game against Saracens.

Interesting we story from Gatland - apologies if already posted:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Faletau was injured his knee in Baths defeat to Toulon yesterday. They aren't sure how bad it is yet but they fear it's serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    Faletau was injured his knee in Baths defeat to Toulon yesterday. They aren't sure how bad it is yet but they fear it's serious.

Third time this year he has had a knee ligament injury

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »

Wales will already be without Ball, Warburton and Jon Davies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Keith Wood looks extremely uncomfortable in that clip...

Buer wrote: »
    Keith Wood looks extremely uncomfortable in that clip...

It's a good few years back now but I can remember Wood really laying into Gatland on OTB before, they were doing a retrospective on Irish rugby in the pro era and he seemed to be a large part of the reason Gatland was ditched.

It's a good few years back now but I can remember Wood really laying into Gatland on OTB before, they were doing a retrospective on Irish rugby in the pro era and he seemed to be a large part of the reason Gatland was ditched.

It was believed that he led the player movement that saw EOS appointed and Gatland ditched undeservedly.

The look on his face in the clip is of a man desperately trying to figure out where the story is going.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

OTB have put a few clips up on their youtube page and there's an element of awkwardness in every one of them.

I'm not sure exactly what they were thinking but it was never going to be a laugh a min show with those 3 guys who have a bit of a history.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This whole SRU buying Worcester thing is quite interesting. I'm not sure I can see it actually going through, but already Worcester fans seem pretty appalled at the idea of them becoming a feeder team to the Scottish national team :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wales will already be without Ball, Warburton and Jon Davies.

Wales didn't have any Balls when playing for Howley anyway.

This whole SRU buying Worcester thing is quite interesting. I'm not sure I can see it actually going through, but already Worcester fans seem pretty appalled at the idea of them becoming a feeder team to the Scottish national team :D

Edinburgh are equally distraught, they fall further down the order.
    They're already behind Glasgow, London Scottish, Currie RFC, Melrose u-12s Girls Team, and the RBS Summer Tag Rugby team.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh are equally distraught, they fall further down the order.
    They're already behind Glasgow, London Scottish, Currie RFC, Melrose u-12s Girls Team, and the RBS Summer Tag Rugby team.

Forgot the Melrose 7s side, their event is probably the most relevant Scottish rugby manages to get on the calendar!

Forgot the Melrose 7s side, their event is probably the most relevant Scottish rugby manages to get on the calendar!

Yes, of course!

Jim Mallinder sacked.

Well... that was drawn out! Could have happened a year ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jim Mallinder sacked.

So now they need to replace him mid-season. Talk about making life harder on yourselves than you need to....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Jim Mallinder sacked.

Do you think he's a good coach that had gone stale? Like a Cockeril or Lancaster he could find himself in the Pro14?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Jim Mallinder sacked.

One of the rich old boys must have found the money in the back of the sofa to pay him off.

I'll be sorry to see him go, I liked the fact he had the Saints playing nearly as badly as the Town football team are.

Club statement.
    https://t.co/yWyhaesHRj?amp=1

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Do you think he's a good coach that had gone stale? Like a Cockeril or Lancaster he could find himself in the Pro14?

He was there 10 years and was a darling when he brought them to the European final... But I think there were always flaws there and the game has passed him by. I think he could do well elsewhere but I don't think he'll ever be an elite coach.

But who do you replace him with? Lancaster? They need someone much more pragmatic and technical to turn them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

molloyjh wrote: »
    So now they need to replace him mid-season. Talk about making life harder on yourselves than you need to....
    They may have been lining someone else up for a while. It's not as though Saints have suddenly got bad, the writing's been on the wall for Mallinder for a while now.

Time will tell. Who's free at the moment? EOS? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They may have been lining someone else up for a while. It's not as though Saints have suddenly got bad, the writing's been on the wall for Mallinder for a while now.

Time will tell. Who's free at the moment? EOS? :D

Sure he's only down the road ish......

Personally I think Rob Baxter is the best coach in the premiership at the moment. I'd have him ahead of McCall and maybe even Jones. He'd be my ideal replacement for Schmidt as I find the two very similar and recent interviews posted here have only reinforced that opinion.

Faletau confirmed out until March at least. That's him, Warburton, Jon Davies and Jake Ball all out. If Ross Moriarty doesn't make it back soon, they could be in real difficulty in the back row for the 6N.

I'm not sure what sort of back row they'd put out. Tipuric, Lydiate and Navidi potentially and Tupuric hasn't played in 2 months at this stage.

Buer wrote: »
    Faletau confirmed out until March at least. That's him, Warburton, Jon Davies and Jake Ball all out. If Ross Moriarty doesn't make it back soon, they could be in real difficulty in the back row for the 6N.

I'm not sure what sort of back row they'd put out. Tipuric, Lydiate and Navidi potentially and Tupuric hasn't played in 2 months at this stage.

Still a fairly decent back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Always thought Navidi was criminally underused by Wales. He's always been an annoying bollox to play against, perfect 7.

There's a blindside at the Dragons, name escapes me at the moment, who is pretty decent whenever I've seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Congratulations Beauden Barrett on being named NZ Rugby player of the year!

What do you mean "he wasn't"? But he was World Rugby player of the year, surely that makes him automatically NZ rugby player of the year too?

Oh, I see. Well you can't have it all, but at least he was nominated!

What do you mean "he wasn't"? You're telling me the World Rugby player of the year couldn't even make the nomination for NZ rugby player of the year?

But what is up with World Rugby? They usually get these things right - I mean Brian O'Driscoll got the award in 2009, and Jerome Kaino in 2011 for example.

What do you mean "they didn't"?

Oh I see. Well who did get NZ Rugby player of the year then? Let me guess - Rieko Ioane!

Not him either?!

:confused::confused::confused:

(congratulations to Sam Whitelock :))

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

swiwi_ wrote: »

(congratulations to Sam Whitelock :))
    Is that a bit like getting the Oscar for never having got an Oscar and we'd like to make up for it now? :)

Tadhg Furlong is the best player in the world.

And he easily has the best fashion sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Tadhg Furlong is the best player in the world.

And he easily has the best fashion sense.

Farm chic !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement