Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six One News - new presenters

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I approached this with an open mind thinking these two may have been the best of all the candidates so their positions are warranted, but there's no way you can say there'd be "no fuss" if it were 2 men, both relatively "new" to the role too. The likes of Louise O'Neill and co would be up in arms.

Keelin Shanley is not new, she has been with RTÉ for a long time. Reporting before presenting but she is very experienced. A similar career trajectory to Bryan Dobson actually. He was a reporter before he became a newscaster. He started at RTÉ at 27 as a reporter, he was 36 when he became a newscaster, presenting Six One. Do you think he was more experienced than Shanley in any real way? Anne Doyle was in her 20s when she became a newreader. What more experience does Shanley need? And how much does Perry need? Doyle joined RTÉ as a newscaster in her 20s. People are saying Perry has curried favour because she is anti-Trump. Well, to be honest, that seems to be the sole reason for others objecting to her hiring.

There are only two positions, each with a 50/50 chance of being male or female. Either a male double act, a mixed team, or a female double act are all very likely scenarios.

The fact that you reference Louise O'Neill shows how little mainstream outrage there would actually be. Louise O'Neill would be outraged? Sure, what else is new? I never even knew who she was before I heard about her on boards.ie. Seriously, stop giving her oxygen, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

_Dara_ wrote: »
    People are saying Perry has curried favour because she is anti-Trump. Well, to be honest, that seems to be the sole reason for others objecting to her hiring.

This is no contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

ligerdub wrote: »
    This is no contradiction.

Just as well I didn't say that it was.

People are complaining that she got the job because of being anti-Trump. But some don't seem to have the self-awareness to realise that they are judging her negatively for the same reason. It has nothing to do with her perceived lack of experience. She has as much experience as many previous appointees to the position. They just don't like her for being anti-Trump so come up with some other feeble objection.

There are very few non-biased new outlets. I actually can't think of one. Fox, BBC, CNN - all lean one way or another. Newspapers too. Why do people expect that RTÉ won't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Just as well I didn't say that it was.

People are complaining that she got the job because of being anti-Trump. But some don't seem to have the self-awareness to realise that they are judging her negatively for the same reason. It has nothing to do with her perceived lack of experience. She has as much experience as many previous appointees to the position. They just don't like her for being anti-Trump so come up with some other feeble objection.

There are very few non-biased new outlets. I actually can't think of one. Fox, BBC, CNN - all lean one way or another. Newspapers too. Why do people expect that RTÉ won't?

Not true. Nobody is going around asking for some sort of pro-Trump reporter for balance. The points around this were very clear, that RTE had always had reporters which tended to report in a basis where you would be hard pressed to identify their own personal views/slants. This is completely not the case with Perry.

The objection is far from feeble. Her introduction into the mix marks a noted change in tone towards a more partisan view on things, a big difference from Dobbo and Sharon. THAT is the objection people have, and certainly the main reason why I think her appointment is a bad one. I don't see anyone call out for some sort of Fox News-lite in Ireland either. I don't see why we can't make an expectation of RTE to be impartial, we've had it up until now, I don't see why it should change.

Experience should mean more than just time served, it should mean the person has improved with it. Perhaps she will but at this point I remain unconvinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Keelin Shanley is not new, she has been with RTÉ for a long time. Reporting before presenting but she is very experienced. A similar career trajectory to Bryan Dobson actually. He was a reporter before he became a newscaster. He started at RTÉ at 27 as a reporter, he was 36 when he became a newscaster, presenting Six One. Do you think he was more experienced than Shanley in any real way? Anne Doyle was in her 20s when she became a newreader. What more experience does Shanley need? And how much does Perry need? Doyle joined RTÉ as a newscaster in her 20s. People are saying Perry has curried favour because she is anti-Trump. Well, to be honest, that seems to be the sole reason for others objecting to her hiring.

There are only two positions, each with a 50/50 chance of being male or female. Either a male double act, a mixed team, or a female double act are all very likely scenarios.

The fact that you reference Louise O'Neill shows how little mainstream outrage there would actually be. Louise O'Neill would be outraged? Sure, what else is new? I never even knew who she was before I heard about her on boards.ie. Seriously, stop giving her oxygen, lads.

Yeah, good points made there, especially on LON.

• Advertisement

I don't care who reads the news as long as they can stop aping BBC in the 1960s and start putting the K sound back into the word schedule, the sh sound back into the word issue and start consulting the grammar books about putting a definite article before words beginning with a 'h' - e.g. it's "a historic" not "an historic" no matter how many times Eileen or Brian say the latter. 'An' used to come before a vowel sound when the word began with a 'h' and was of Latin origin. However, as 'historic' is not pronounced 'istoric' in Ireland (likewise, we don't live in an 'ouse' or stay in an 'otel'), it screams cringe-inducing Brit-aping ignorance from RTÉ presenters when they say "an historic".

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

Caitriona Perry was talking with Baz Ashmawy on RTE Radio 1 yesterday (Baz standing in for Ray D'Arcy). She spoke about her reporting on the two most serious mass shootings in modern US history, "in Orlando and Dallas". She actually said Dallas twice. Clearly she meant the Las Vegas mass shooting, as she also spoke about interviewing a man who had escaped from the concert area after hiding behind a food wagon. Now, anyone can make a mistake, I won't criticise her for that. After all, it was an informal chat, not a direct report or reading from an autocue. But what gets me is that no-one in the studio, not the producers nor researchers, got a message to the presenter to correct this. Are they so concerned with appearances that they won't correct a factual error so that it doesn't make their new newsreader look bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

They also have to conduct in studio discussions with various experts or foreign correspondents about many of the news items.

With the questions clearly scripted and rehearsed prior to broadcast
    Any "experts" or "foreign correspondents" know prior to the news item what questions they will be asked and have their answers prepared.None of the questions are off the cuff by the news reader it's easy to see that.

It's Question 1(let them answer)
    Question 2 " "
    Question 3 " "

"That's all we have time for,thanks for joining us on Six One News"
    It's hardly Jeremy Paxman stuff is it?
    I think you may be giving them a little too much credit with the above post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

The best thing about Trump winning the election was watching Perry report on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Watching the Six One News this evening; so what's wrong with Ray Kennedy and Sharon Tobin taking over as the new presenters?
    They do their job well, they are not over-bearing, and they are likeable.

I guess that's the problem ........... they are a logical choice and RTE management would be opposed to that.

Advertisement