Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six One News - new presenters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

I like the way Keelin Shanley says "extraordinary" a lot. She says it all the time. She asks someone a question in a interview, they then respond, and then Keelin will say "extraordinary" or "that's extraordinary". Strawdinary

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

buried wrote: »
    I like the way Keelin Shanley says "extraordinary" a lot. She says it all the time. She asks someone a question in a interview, they then respond, and then Keelin will say "extraordinary" or "that's extraordinary". Strawdinary

Yes - but did you knock one out to it?

This just goes to show what happens when an organisation is so obsessed with chasing someone who they think will look best for the job rather than the best or most qualified person for the role regardless of their gender.

It’s seems Catriona was very happy with her D.C/NYC lifestyle, I can only assume she got a very nice package to move home and take the new role.

"This is not a job I ever went looking for. I think everyone knows how much I absolutely adored America and I loved the job," she told Independent.”
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/this-is-not-a-job-i-ever-went-looking-for-caitriona-perry-on-her-move-to-rtes-six-one-news-36264996.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I've jerked off to Keelin Shanley, not to Catriona Perry though.

There, I said it.

Seek help.

• Advertisement

Gravitas is key for News Readers.

Some past RTE Newsreaders who had Gravitas

Don Cockburn

main-005-12.jpg

Maurice O' Dougherty

1280x720-wgQ.jpg

Charles Mitchell

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/RTÉ_News_-_Charles_Mitchel_Last_Broadcast_1984.jpg[/IMG]

Anne Doyle
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Gravitas is key for News Readers.

Some past RTE Newsreaders who had Gravitas

Don Cockburn

main-005-12.jpg

Maurice O' Dougherty

1280x720-wgQ.jpg

Charles Mitchell

RTNews_-_Charles_Mitchel_Last_Broadcast_1984.jpg

Anne Doyle
    hqdefault.jpg

The old school ones were the best....almost regal in their delivery...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I've jerked off to Keelin Shanley, not to Catriona Perry though.

There, I said it.

Because sometimes we all like a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Ann was a class act to be fair. Very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Ann was a class act to be fair. Very professional.

Herself, Eileen Dunne (to a very very slightly lesser extent), and Bryan Dobson were all top class for the role. Perry is about 6 grades below that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Caitriona Perry looks like someone who was zero craic in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Noveight wrote: »

Precisely why she'll fit right in on the TV every evening with the Leo, Paschal, Eoghan Murphy and the rest of the fluffery bluffery gang

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Come on, let's give her a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Aengus MacGrianna?

FYI, it appears that David McCullagh off Prime Time turned down the role. So a man was offered first.

Good I for one am glad he turned it down. Never warmed to him at all. Used to like watching Prime Time then he came onto it and I only half watch it now. Why could he have not of just stayed doing what he was doing before.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Noveight wrote: »

Why should she be. Going to college is about learning not having craic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

AMKC wrote: »
    Going to college is about learning not having craic.

That sounds like something Caitriona Perry would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

branie2 wrote: »
    Come on, let's give her a chance.

The problem with giving people chances in the public service in Ireland is that they’ll stay there for thirty years regardless of whether it’s merited.

However what’s done is done so there’s no point being critical of them until they begin at least.

I wonder who will be doing the election coverage? I hope Dobson might be drafted in for that as he was good and you can tell he was genuinely interested in politics, without being biased.

Do people think one of these new presenters will be up to the task?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It took 7 hours to trigger you?

Not me, you; getting overexcited by comments about her appearance. It's okay, it'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

interesting question about what they'll be paid Keelin must have 15 years experience on Perry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Aengus MacGrianna?

FYI, it appears that David McCullagh off Prime Time turned down the role. So a man was offered first.

Aengus McGrianna is awful though - big, stupid streese on his face half the time.

As for mentions of equality and discrimination. There are only two positions, this isn’t indicative of a lack of equality. In fact, far what others have claimed on this thread, I think there’d have been no fuss at all if two men were installed. People here furiously tugging themselves at the thought of imagined outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The only thing that grates a bit about this is that both women are very good looking. Sharon Ni Bheolain was also extremely pretty. Is this now a criteria for any woman who wants to read the news on RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The only thing that grates a bit about this is that both women are very good looking. Sharon Ni Bheolain was also extremely pretty. Is this now a criteria for any woman who wants to read the news on RTE?

Add smug. Who even watches Rte news. Always behind everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Lily Munster

I like Aengus as a newsreader - what's a streese?

I watch RTE News all the time - think they do news well, by and large. Can't see how they're always behind everyone else. They report the news as it's happening - same as anyone.
    Red_Wake wrote: »
    Yes.

Why do you think news presenters are always attractive?
    Always? Well that's not true. And why would it be anyway? It's the news!

Some folks seem convinced this is a gender quota thing but there's no evidence of that. I am opposed to the quota idea myself but these are two experienced broadcast journalists, what's the problem?

As for "Imagine the whining if it were two men" - kinda like the whining that has been occurring over it being two women? ;)

There have been plenty of male newsreaders over the decades - more of them than women (which is fine by me), relax. :)

I like Aengus as a newsreader - what's a streese?

I watch RTE News all the time - think they do news well, by and large. Can't see how they're always behind everyone else. They report the news as it's happening - same as anyone.

Always? Well that's not true. And why would it be anyway? It's the news!

Some folks seem convinced this is a gender quota thing but there's no evidence of that. I am opposed to the quota idea myself but these are two experienced broadcast journalists, what's the problem?

As for "Imagine the whining if it were two men" - kinda like the whining that has been occurring over it being two women? ;)

There have been plenty of male newsreaders over the decades - more of them than women (which is fine by me), relax. :)

Yes, that comment made no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think Grainne Seoige would have made a good anchor for the 6 oclock news.

She started out as a news anchor and was damn good at it too imo. She has gravitas when required and has been very underused by RTE.

Presenting Up For The Match with Des Cahill can't be easy for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I think Grainne Seoige would have made a good anchor for the 6 oclock news.

She started out as a news anchor and was damn good at it too imo. She has gravitas when required and has been very underused by RTE.

Presenting Up For The Match with Des Cahill can't be easy for anyone.

Good point, I hadn't thought of her. Herself and Shanley would have been a good combo.

I think she's moved on though. I get the feeling she vented her feelings about how she was used, or indeed not used within RTE. Not sure if I read that somewhere but it seems to make sense considering she has good experience, good screen presence and for some reason became totally underused.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Aengus McGrianna is awful though - big, stupid streese on his face half the time.

As for mentions of equality and discrimination. There are only two positions, this isn’t indicative of a lack of equality. In fact, far what others have claimed on this thread, I think there’d have been no fuss at all if two men were installed. People here furiously tugging themselves at the thought of imagined outrage.

I'm sorry, I approached this with an open mind thinking these two may have been the best of all the candidates so their positions are warranted, but there's no way you can say there'd be "no fuss" if it were 2 men, both relatively "new" to the role too. The likes of Louise O'Neill and co would be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Lads!!! It's the news!!! People being paid huge amounts of money to read out loud from the autocue
    Worse still is for some reason some people refer to them after they have done a few years of it as "legends" or "Stars"
    Get a grip :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Lily Munster

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I approached this with an open mind thinking these two may have been the best of all the candidates so their positions are warranted, but there's no way you can say there'd be "no fuss" if it were 2 men, both relatively "new" to the role too. The likes of Louise O'Neill and co would be up in arms.
    They probably would, but the complaining about a scenario that hasn't occurred seems so resentful - and ironic considering the original grievance is the potential complaining there would be. :)

Even personal comments about them on this thread, and of course reference to how shaggable or not they are. A minority for sure, but while I can't stand LON, that's the kinda thing she's right to be annoyed by (except she focuses on too much inane nonsense also).

A "well done" would be nice - but no, hostility towards them because of a perceived act of sexism by their employer. If people only knew how hard it is to get into RTE at all, let alone become a current affairs show reporter and presenter - and Keelin Shanley has been plying her trade for years and years. As for becoming Washington correspondent - obviously Perry is an excellent journalist.

There have been several men presenting RTE News and other programmes on TV and radio over the years - and there still are. More than women. And that's absolutely fine - I don't see it as sexist. But instead of whining like little girls (now that's sexist!) over one incident of two women being appointed the early evening news readers, why can't that bigger picture be acknowledged?

• Advertisement

Steve F wrote: »
    Lads!!! It's the news!!! People being paid huge amounts of money to read out loud from the autocue
    Worse still is for some reason some people refer to them after they have done a few years of it as "legends" or "Stars"
    Get a grip :P

They also have to conduct in studio discussions with various experts or foreign correspondents about many of the news items.

Advertisement