Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

They will be a wearing course finish HRA, SMA, AC-WC.
    Substantially more expensive than spray and chip.

If county council roads engineers had the budget our roads would also be billiard tables.
    Most of them are good engineers doing their best with very limited budgets.

Granted, though the standards still vary hugely even within counties. My main gripe is that they sometimes resurface roads which leave them worse than before, AND they leave huge amounts of "loose chippings" which do not bed in and leave bends and junctions lethal for cyclists especially. If it's an issue of sub-standard work by contractors etc., why is this not tackled via penalty clauses. Seems the easier option is to just take the "shure, it's grand" approach. Not sure how these road crews cannot take some pride in their work.

As for a uniform approach to L and R roads, I'm aware of some minor roads in Kildare (where I live) which are particularly good (Rathmore to Eadestown as an example) and others which really do need a full dig/re-lay rather than the current lipstick on a pig approach

Still maintain that if road engineers had to cycle around their county, they'd ensure a better finished product for those jobs that they do sign off on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sorry didn't mean to suggest there are uniform approaches. I was generalising based on my (almost) 20 years dealing with road surfacing and digging up roads.

And agree totally on a vast improvement if council engineers being stuck on a bike for a day about the place.

I'm sticking up for these boys a bit as I know the financial constraints they operate under.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what would be a ballpark figure for resurfacing say 1km of R road? or is that very much an 'it depends' question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

You can't just compare one narrow aspect of a country's road network with others without some context.

Ireland is completely unique in terms of the amount of roads we have. I found this before and will put in italics

"Ireland has a far higher road density than most countries in Europe. There are 20.9km of road in Ireland for every 1000 people, more than twice the EU average of 9.6km and higher than significantly geographically larger countries like Germany which only has 2.8km.

Local Roads are broken into three classes,

Local Primary (LP) 23,789 km (14782 miles), Local Secondary (LS) 33,366 km (20733 miles) and Local Tertiary LT 23,789 km (14782 miles)

For a combined public road network length of 99,830 km (62,030 miles) in 2018

All of that has to be maintained; unless we want to spend almost 10 times per head off population than Germany I don't see how we can expect to have the same quality roads.

For a cyclist poor quality roads surfaces bring more advantages than disadvantages. Bad roads discourage drivers from using them and limit the speed they will travel at. If you can pick a line properly and have moderate handling skills dealing with potholes, loose gravel isn't a big deal.

I ride primarily on back roads, for me they can't be bad enough, but I'm often struck by how even the most obscure of roads get pretty regular resurfacing, a few examples below

https://goo.gl/maps/pyBhZdxXZnZQ7qG5A

https://goo.gl/maps/BfeuUAFTwE4GhLWk9

https://goo.gl/maps/z7UtF6nM1ihsW6Xx6

https://goo.gl/maps/CdXUGutJVcrgkBTWA

https://goo.gl/maps/B9zhEPoHa7SeMYN16

https://goo.gl/maps/PtQwhxwhhKJXCBQ37

No where else in the world has to maintain a road network like that.

The dispersed road network brings other problems. The Roads Act (section 76 I think) is very clear on the need to keep water from lands off public roads. Other than an odd council it isn't enforced and lots of landowners behave like cnuts. All you need is one b0llix to leave water out and a flood will do untold damage to roads that otherwise would last a very long time.

Sometimes, depending on local council you are dealing with abject stupidity. The road below is one I would be very familiar with. You can see water flowing on edge of road, to the right of jeep. There is a old stone culvert under road (actually man made stream taken off glen to ease to fill and pond which was used to turn a water wheel for corn milling and even battery charging over 100 years ago!) which was damaged when Eir cable was put under ground, they were called P&T then, it is so long ago.

https://goo.gl/maps/c9eMY7Msp3AZFkd99

Over the intervening 30 years, at every flood that drain has damaged road in question all the way south to regional road. Personally I have informed at least three overseers and my father at least two. Every summer they come back and repair the road. Two men, a digger and two lengths of pipe would have issue sorted in a few hours.

As an aside in or about 1987 or so my father an I brought a 1/2" water pipe and electric fence cable across the same road a few hundred metres south. All we had were hand tools. Timed it a few weeks before resurfacing works and it has been perfect since. Only traffic that passed was Josie Mulcahy on here bike

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

You can't just compare one narrow aspect of a country's road network with others without some context.
    Yes, Ireland has a massive road network and it's understandable that not every road in the country can be maintained to a high standard. However the lousy standard of reinstatements, the loose gravel left lying around the place after resurfacing and the poor standard of signposting all point to a culture of 'can't be arsed'. I do have to wonder whether the problems with Irish roads are entirely down to a lack of money.

When a road in Sweden is patched you can cycle over it and not feel a thing. The only way you know it's been patched is that the asphalt is a different colour to the rest of the road. Why can't that be done here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

ARX wrote: »
    When a road in Sweden is patched you can cycle over it and not feel a thing. The only way you know it's been patched is that the asphalt is a different colour to the rest of the road. Why can't that be done here?

There are plenty contractors here capable of doing similar work here; if you allow a budget to pay them to do it, pay for way more local authority engineers to check and enforce terms of contract, enforce the roads acts to reduce unnecessary road damage and subsequent costs.

Do we really want to pay for HRA or similar on our 80k km of local roads? Tar and chip is fine imo for such roads. Loose chippings are a necessary evil with such resurfacing but should be swept after bedding in as per guidance.

The issue with loose chippings is way better than it was, councils and contractors have been sued often enough for that to be the case.

We do have an issue with the ease with which roads can be opened, but a lot of that is political. A good friend is a roads engineer in a large county. When some contractor doing aerial broadband wanted to apply road road opening by townsland he said "no ****ing way". They effectively wanted to be left open the road wherever they saw fit, which would leave no records a few years down the line and road is b0llixed.

When he stood his ground every councilor(local election folk) objected.

Cork City council are pretty tight of road opening and I assume Dublin but I don't know.

Even a perfect reinstatement will weaken a road so it is defiantly an area we need to improve on in terms of planning (getting all services in plus spares at build stage) and using road openings more efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Some years back, I went looking to see if there was any standard of smoothness for reinstatement, any way of actually measuring whether they had done a decent job or not.

I'm still looking.

Main road through Clogherhead.

As you head north you go up the main hill in the village.

There's then a slight downhill before the turn off for port beach.

Just outside the newsagents there are a myriad of almost unavoidable potholes.

You can avoid but it means going onto the oncoming lane.

And other one.

Balrath towards Duleek.

Go past all the little Cul de sac roads and the turn off for ardcath.

Up a small hill and the last descent before the speed limits. A pile of potholes out in the left wheel track and middle of the lane. Under a lovely shady tree. I've dopily hit them twice in two weeks!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OT, but that balrath to duleek road features an incredibly useless cycle lane. the national school - bizarrely located about half a mile from the nearest sign of population (i guess built on a site where there was already a school?) has no cycle lane between it and that populated area, but does have one literally just along its boundary with the road. so it's literally just 150m long.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6467087,-6.42307,3a,75y,344.1h,76.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIt6ohp2w2ZpfE7LnHk2IWA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yeah the school has always been there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The road from the finish line crossroads to the Summerhill corner of Dorey's Forge is closed for resurfacing.

The guy manning the cones told me I could go through but 50m later I was told to go back because the tar had just been sprayed. Nice sticky stuff, felt like I was riding on Velcro for the next 10km.

I also noticed a sign when leaving Dunshaughlin towards Ratoath that the R125 will be closed tomorrow for a few days. Hopefully that boneshaker is getting resurfaced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

resurfacing the roads in this weather?? madness!!

the roads are like marmite out there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the roads round me in donegal have all had chips thrown over them to cover the melting tar, so watch out for loose gravel

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^

drove through a road like that yesterday, like being fired at by sub-machine gun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Three castles road from bridge at back of blessington is closed for resurfacing, but not closed at the Manor Kilbride end ?

This is probably a short term one but Meath CoCo seem to driving around the place shovelling sand and grit onto the melting tar.

It's lethal. The excess is just loose sand. Met a bit on a bend and nearly shat myself.

Have seen it in 4 or 5 areas. Drogheda, Duleek, Skryne, Batterstown.

No fear of Louth CoCo doing something like that 😀

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Given as it's relevant to the opening post on this thread. Part of the road near the business park on the old swords road that is potholed to f"ck has been ripped up and resurfaced kn the past few week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I haven't come across it actually spread, yet, but I have witnessed Wicklow Co Co gritter trucks on the road, so I assume they're doing the same carry on.

The top of the Long Hill, they have redone the green bit - it's well bedded in for the descent (not before it accounted for a motorbike the missus came across the other day), but alot of the gravel thrown out onto the uphill side of the road.

Killiskey/ Easy Devils Glen gritted on top of the melting tar. Ballyduff Crossroads and the start of the Bolinass road at least also have the same "treatment".

• Advertisement

Looks like I was wrong here, passed a crew out in Drogheda this morning giving potholes the pat of a shovel. At a glance I'd say the patching will last a week or the next heavy shower, which ever comes first. They've left the worst of the potholes on the road they were working on (Donore Industrial estate) untouched and there is loose tar/gravel at the spots they were filling the wheelbarrow from which was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

Not so much road condition, but Lisheeen road is totally blocked just at the golf club, so you will notice the 2 full width fences at that end. I chose to ignore the signs at the Lisheeen rise end, thinking ah sure you'll get through on a bike surley 😄. Had to lift the bike over the 2 fences , climbing fences in cycling shoes not recommended 😃

This road was chipped lately.

It's a disaster as not much traffic to clear it and quite bendy so they're not following same wheel tracks. AVOID!!

And the south end of this one got chipped couple weeks back, it's ok but not hectic

Also avoid laytown village for next day or two. Surfacing ongoing from new spine road to Aldi. Dodgy enough the weekend.

And one bit of good news.

The 3 trenches across the road here were patched. Were a right bollix

Could do with looking at the one further down just after Mary's St heading for the church. That's had quite the rut in it for a few years now and has only gotten worse after recent heavy rains this years.

They are resurfacing between John's on the Platin Rd and Duleek St. despite it being done around 2/3 years ago. Full on rip the road up and lay the felt underneath again, sorry I can't remember the technical terms for it and the industrial estate beside it only getting the pat of a shovel last week along with the craters on the Rathmullen Rd and in both cases they ignored the worst ones.

Wicklow County Council seem to be randomly patching stretches with chip and tar, at least on the R755 Kilmac to Roundwood Road - Ballinastoe Cross and on the bend at Shramore. Well bedded in at this stage, but at the cross roads it is literally a patch at the cross roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

And the same this morning at the junction at the top of Altidore and Cooladoyle. Also, as the southern end of Green Road but that looks more like there was a bit left on the back of the truck one day and they just flung it about randomly to get rid of it

"Also avoid laytown village for next day or two. Surfacing ongoing from new spine road to Aldi. Dodgy enough the weekend."

Lovely and smooth this evening.

Few manholes covered over so I assume they'll be breaking them out next.

Seems to be all nordie crews doing the work around Drogheda, was it the same out there? Loving the work they did in town this week. Rode up Beamore Rd which was closed to cars the other morning and a lad moved a cone for me as I approached and gave me a how ya lad on the way by.

• Advertisement

Didn't notice.

Saw Blacktop (from Skryne) but they crosshire in everywhere to do tack coat.

Advertisement