Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tack coat is the top layer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The sticky bit under layers.

Tack and then a layer.

Some corner cutters don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I missed a left turn in the car this evening so turned into that 'road' to get back on track. Sweet Jesus, it hard to believe it's a public road. Rolling along in 1st gear was too fast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there such a thing as a road being 'retired'? or taken out of council stewardship?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

On Craggy Islands they take the roads in during bad weather, does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

The Wall part 1 is completely closed at the Coolakay end where it meets The Wall part 2, so presumably it's also closed from the Kilmolin side.

There's also a lot more gravel flung about between the waterfall entrance and Crone car park

Callow Hill is still in ribbons 🙄

Some right craters on these 2 bits in the kinda Walterstown/Senchalstown area

Meath Co co gone bananas about Bellewstown with the chips.

The roads north and south of the cross are done. North isn't too bad nearly all down the bottom. South loooked a complete disaster.

The road to the NW (past the quarry) is closed all week, I assume for similar.

The road that you T off from to go up Hill of Carnes was done about 10 days ago.

some of the junctions i'm passing these days look like sand and gravel pits. the one at the top of snowtown - i.e. the one where the road coming to/from the fourknocks direction joins the R108 - is particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Purely a Dublin City comment, but I've asked several times for road condition - potholes, slippy or edge-up manholes, gravel, dangerous cambers, badly-made patches, giant hollows where bus wheels have hollowed out the roads, etc - to be added to Dublin City Council's "See it? Say it!" app (on which you can report things like full bins or rubbish or glass scattered), without any success or even a reply. Maybe a flood of requests would get this done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Corrstown lane near Corrstown golf club looks like it's had it's surface stripped in places and it's being dug up completely it looks near the club it seems.

It was never in great nick, but hopefully this means it's being resurfaced

yeah, there's other patchwork resurfacing going on around the area there, ive seen a few spots where they've had to come back and do a proper repair job after that fibre laying two years ago dug trenches in the roads.

i see what WB means about the roads around bellewstown - but it's also worth mentioning that as you head from fourknocks towards bellewstown (via the road that goes through cromwell's bush crossroads) has been tarred and chipped right at the bottom of the hill at the back of fourknocks, on a bad bend; very easy to be carrying a decent speed into it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5994356,-6.3312018,3a,75y,358.47h,82.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3U-GMKKnJwy3p3j9O4yFBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Picture doesn't really do this beast justice in terms of how deep this is, it's about 6-8cm deep. Shouted a warning to a fella who passed me the other morning on the way to it and received a thumbs up as he gave it a wide birth. It's the R152 heading out of Drogheda just over a slight rise on a bendy stretch of road with a solid white that drivers liek to put the boot down on by in large. I reported it a few times and it was filled with gravel which was washed/driven away in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For anyone who goes out to Manor Kilbride/Blessington or that general direction, it'll be a few more weeks before Lisheen Road is reopened. A real nuisance but at least the flooding will be rectified before becoming an ice rink in the winter months.

On the rathgreat to Springhill road (i.e. the one west of the nags head if you're heading towards oldtown) downhill at the western end there are a couple of piles of gravel pulled out onto the road. Wouldn't like hitting them at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You learn something everyday - for years I've been calling that 'Springfield'. 😱

i had to double check there to make sure i had it right.

the opposite of a warning, and i'd say anyone local knows about it, but the swords-ashbourne road is closed between the nine mile roundabout and the R130; but it's really just the far western end which is closed.

the signs are up between the points on the link here - but the road is actually only impassable between the roundabout and delphi lodge, so it's much quieter than normal, and pleasant to cycle. i think the closure is due to last another week or two.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/53.4958938,-6.3828051/53.4907309,-6.3326022/@53.4923483,-6.3638881,15z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

The bit at clogherhead is fixed.

Like a billard table.

• Advertisement

well, the cycleway is fine but the road isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

I have no expertise in the matter, but I can't help but wonder whether the fact that most gullies I see are filled with mud makes flooding worse, as the water can't drain off the road on its way downhill, and then can't drain when it gets to the bottom of the hill.

Any experts who can comment?

No expert.

But yes.

If a gully is blocked it will make flooding worse.

We surveyed an N road back in 2014 for Tip CoCo and found 1 in 5 gullies blocked. NRA had no issue paying to have cleaned. There is preventative maintenance budget there just for this kind of stuff.

NRA/TII only manage M and N roads

also, the time of year coupled with the last few windy days might mean there are more leaves in the storm drains than usual, i guess.

This is all year round though, and it's mud rather than leaves , right to the top of the gully, often with weeds growing in it. I wonder how long it takes for them to fill up? I have very occasionally seen a local authority vehicle clearing the drains (at least that's what I assume they're doing) so maybe they just don't have the resources to keep them clear. Which would raise the question of why a design is used that can't be maintained.

The amount of water that flows through and the size of the outlet means they self clean.

But obviously you'll get issues.

Maybe the pipe outlet gets blocked for a while.

Maybe something odd half blocks the outlet.

Bit of build up and ......blocked.

But I looked at the ones on a moforway 10 years after it opened. Most of the issues were from the original construction - tar etc that fell in and wasn't cleaned. Few were blocked all the same.

Lot of the blocked ones are bad design or bad construction. Or not cleaned for 30 years.

They did a job on one near me, blocks and floods every time there is heavy rain. Main road is down/false flat and the drain is on the minor rd. which is into an estate so the water flows down the main rd. and round to the left about 1m to the drain/gully on the minor rd. into the estate. So anyone turning left into the estate soaks anyone on the foot path even at slow speeds.

They dug this out and put a new cover on it in the last few weeks and I guarantee come the bad weather in the morning there will be standing water there which can be about 5cm at most on a bad day and means you have to go up the road about 10-15m to cross as it sits where the footpath dishes to cross to the middle of the road.

Spotted this piece of work on Goatstown Road (northbound, across the road from the junction with Goatstown Ave).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The seemingly never-end works along there since the early summer have been shockingly managed, and road in general (and cycle lanes in particular) left in rag order by the contractors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

A mate of mine cycled over the Wicklow Gap today and said there was a sign at the top saying Turlough hill was closed to bikes. Anyone know anything about that?

Post edited by Daroxtar on

Advertisement