Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Condition Warning thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah I slid along. Had sleeves and long bibs on. No damage beyond road rash on arm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as long as you did it in style.

Well I didn't cry. And no damage to bike.

Stylish enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's been 12mm of rain this month so far (at the Airport) - that's a tiny amount, less than 20% of the average.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the R108 from the valley just north of snowtown to the top of mullaghteelin, is badly caked in mud; not too bad grip-wise this evening as the wind meant it was quite dry but if it gets damp i'd say it'd be dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well we got around ok on Saturday, being ultra cautious, but more tails of woe on the WhatsApp groups yesterday - roundabouts around Greystones and Delgany. Apparently last week, a few school run time car incidents on the roundabouts around Ashford too.

Seems to be the construction going on really causing the issues, and (to borrow and paraphrase from another thread) our less than Germanic enforcement on construction sites (and farmers) to actually clean the roads when they cake them in mud!

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

There's a nice film of mud on the road from Powerscourt to Enniskerry, being brought out of the building site at the top of the hill. I imagine it'll be like that for months.

bit of a dirty wet evening out there, at least on the east coast, but i reckon it'll be good for clearing the crap off the road built up over what has been an unusually dry january.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Roads between Roundwood and Newtown Mount Kennedy are covered in muck. Super slippy out there. Few "oh s**t" moments coming down the R765 towards the roundabouts. Wind isn't helping either.

It's a disaster today from snowtown side to the naul. Farmer dragging all sorts of muck out on the road. Surfaceva disaster at the quarry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most local Councils deal with this fairly seriously as a planning enforcement issue. Might be worth dropping an email to Wicklow Coco planning department.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

They have a road sweeper out so that is probably enough to comply with whatever regulations govern these things. But that just leaves a thin layer of clay on the road which turns into mud when it's wet. But I might give that a try alright.

A few years ago I tried to report a building site in Dublin 15 that was leaving rocks and big lumps of clay on the road as a litter issue. The person in Fingal CoCo to whom I was speaking basically told me to shag off.

not so much a road condition warning thread - the caha tunnel is closed due to a lorry strike. that's a hell of a detour required IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Has anyone been up Glencree or Sally Gap way recently? If so are the roads ok for cycling? I'm thinking of heading up later this week if so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was up Sally Gap from Blessington/Kippure direction yesterday and it was fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chatting to a lad cleaning up a lot of broken glass on the Pine Valley road just after the hill up from Tibradden heading towards Foxes yesterday. A lot of it and he'd have done well to get it all, so I'd be a bit cautious on that stretch. Also diversion on Blackglen road towards Lamb Doyles in place that adds a small additional climb through the estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Looks like Wicklow Co Co have placed a few road resurfacing contracts lately. The west side of Slieve Maan has a lot of loose stone on it and work is about to start on adding surface dressing (stones to you and me) to the lovely smooth sections of the Military Road between Sally Gap and Glenmacnass.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bah, that bit of military road is my favourite road for cycling on both up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Closed completely today and Tuesday between Sally gap and laragh for surface redressing. Guess that's the end of that road for cycling for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

FFS! Could they not have done it in spring/autumn. Also one of my favourite roads.

• Advertisement

It's the only time I'd like to see more cars up there as they do bed in the stone and help make it rideable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

hope you don’t mind, not a cyclist but gonna follow this thread and nick a few posts for motorbike forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm no fan of surface dressing, but I will say the last few jobs I've seen WCC do have been done fairly well, with even distribution of the chippings and most of the loose stuff cleared up afterwards. It's still a rough, energy-sapping surface to cycle on afterwards, but at least it's not full of lumps and bumps like when it's done badly.

Try heading down Slieve Maan to Aghavannagh 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

there is/was a diversion on Cruagh this evening prob. about 4.30-5 ish, guy in a high viz turn me down/up mount venus , then i had to go up SL, hate it, much prefer Cruagh....anyone else get diverted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

More of it on the Anamoe to Laragh stretch and Laragh to Wicklow gap stretch. I wouldnt want to be coming down that way from the gap for a few days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Out for just over an hour this afternoon and the roads all around Greystones and Delgany are super greasy. The strong wind isn't helping matters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Usher gardens to roundwood via Vartry is all chips not sure if they are rebuilding the road but some dodgy bends with gravel on it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

The road from Kilmolin to Enniskerry is being worked on. There was a nasty layer of stones on it yesterday evening when I cycling towards Enniskerry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wicklow coco scoring own goals making it a miserable place to take a bike at times

Advertisement