Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating in 2017

Options
  • 22-10-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering are there any good online dating sites anymore?
    What ones actually work?
    I prefer to use free ones because I don't want to pay for something that will likely be the same as pof.com and fail to work for me.
    I've been on pof.com probably 10 years (on and off from losing patience with it) and no one ever replies or messages me on it so I want to give it up on it as I'm completely fed up of it.
    If all online dating is useless then has anyone got any other realistic recommendations.
    I live down the country so my options are fairly minimal.
    I know I would like to meet someone before it's too late.
    I'm a 35 year old man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

POF is probably the best free one. If you honestly struggle to get a single message in ten years using it, there's something wrong on your end. Not being smart, but it's how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If you mention in your profile you're married , you get lot's of attention, so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Right this isn't looking great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Right this isn't looking great.

There'll be a chap on here around 4am. He'll point you at some
    videos to help.

A lot of smart alec answers nothing really helpful here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 152 ✭✭Karangue

Mention you have a huge farm of land and mediocre penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

You've been on boards for 12 years, and don't seem to know how After Hours works, either.

I haven't used after hours sweet feck all and probably won't again after this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

What ones actually work?
    I prefer to use free ones because I don't want to pay for something that will likely be the same as pof.com and fail to work for me.
    I've been on pof.com probably 10 years (on and off from losing patience with it) and no one ever replies or messages me on it so I want to give it up on it as I'm completely fed up of it.
    If all online dating is useless then has anyone got any other realistic recommendations.
    I'm a 35 year old man.

Try Meetup groups in your area.

After Hours is the pisstake forum, I wouldn't expect serious answers in here.

In my case, I met my girlfriend on Tinder. How did I manage that? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Road frontage is important and if you have enough road frontage for the future kids it's a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I hear grindr is a great place to meet people and it's free too exactly what you're looking for OP!

I hear grindr is a great place to meet people and it's free too exactly what you're looking for OP!

That’s back door stuff? Just to make it aware that I have no problem or issue with that.

I wouldn't have created the thread here if I knew it was the pisstake forum.
    I don't want the piss taken out of myself it's just stupid.
    Anyway this is bs.
    Where could I create a proper thread about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

You could be the ugliest bloke on planet earth (not saying you are) and you can't do much about that, but what you can do is maximise your appeal.

Go on a shopping spree in Penneys, pick up a bunch of trendy-looking sh*t and get someone to take a photograph of you with the clothes on. Not bragging but when I changed my main picture to one of me wearing a denim shirt I started getting a lot more messages.

It also looks better if you're looking fashionable and in the photo with at least one other person. The big fear for girls on these things is going out with an utter weirdo and you can reduce that perception if there's other people with you in the pictures.

Another thing to look at is your messages. If you're just saying 'Hey there!' and a bunch of mundane, generic bull**** like that then it's quite hard to respond to, isn't it?

There's a bunch of usually-overlooked stuff you can to maximise your appeal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Going by your posts here you dont seem the friendliest, like youre coming across a bit confrontational.

Have a laugh ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tinder and Online dating are shallow garbage.
    I think I tried Tinder for a week because I was bored and got nowhere and gave up.
    I tried online dating for years and got nowhere and gave up.
    I've given up looking online and offline.
    I've zero faith in women in Ireland.
    I don't care anymore.
    I'm staying single.
    I don't have a choice but I don't give a flying fig anymore I'm finished with it.

Changed your mind eh?

Online = Photos are be all and end all = Shallow. If you don't like that put a personal ad in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Isn't there an online dating forum on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

What ones actually work?
    I'm a 35 year old man.

I have 10 years on you and I honestly feel very sorry for you being in a position where you have to rely on internet dating sites. Its something I never had to endure. I assume you live in a rural area, but what has happened to society that you think your only option is online? Surely there must be some activity in your locale where you can meet people face to face?

Overall, I'd say the internet is a fooking horrible place to meet a meaningful partner. It seems like a great place to hook for a fook, (it that's what you want) but beyond that, it looks like a big vast ocean of people trying to find some real love against a backdrop of utter hedonism.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Isn't there an online dating forum on boards?

Date a mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I live down the country so my options are fairly minimal.I know I would like to meet someone before it's too late.
    I'm a 35 year old man.

Outside of the cities, there's not much going on. I've met a few women but most of them were "married looking for fun" or their photos were completely at odds with the reality.

If you're looking for someone serious, I'd suggest the continental dating sites, and find someone outside of Ireland. The population online looking for serious relationships is better, and many women from Europe (no need to go further east than Poland or Germany) are happy to find an Irishman. I've a few friends who have met Spanish & French women online and are getting very serious with them.

If you're looking for an Irish woman, spend a few weekends staying in the cities, and go to events/activities rather than bars/clubs. You'll have a greater chance of finding someone than with online dating. Ireland just doesn't have the population for online dating unless you're located in Dublin.

I'm friendly I just was asking for advice.
    I'm not Shrek for those wondering anyway.
    Just pof.com has never worked for me.

ED E wrote: »
    Changed your mind eh?

Online = Photos are be all and end all = Shallow. If you don't like that put a personal ad in the paper.

Yes I did change my mind because I'm bored.
    I'm stuck in a rut and nothing is working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

What's a typical example of a message you'd send to someone who's profile you liked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm friendly I just was asking for advice.
    I'm not Shrek for those wondering anyway.
    Just pof.com has never worked for me.

Surly the same people would be on other sites...if that's the busiest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Esse85 wrote: »
    What's a typical example of a message you'd send to someone who's profile you liked?

DTF??

.....followed by winking emojis

testicles wrote: »
    Isn't Tinder just for getting your hole?
    Possibly, but it worked out for me in the end. I guess it's whatever you want it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Esse85 wrote: »

The wellington boot and aubergine emoji followed by a question mark.

Advertisement