Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats V ! Delighted for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done V, you got my vote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats. One of my go to logs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

THANK YOU for the Log of the Year A/R forum award! And thanks to anyone who reads this and has contributed in any way. I enjoy this part of the internet a lot and it's been so helpful to me in many ways since I started this log.

I'm always rubbish at updating this time of year seeing as running often comes second to eating and sleeping and meeting people!

Mon 21st Dec
    Short run around the town, 4.1 miles @ 9.20/m.

Tues 22nd
    Slightly longer run around the town (there really aren't many streets in Edenderry). 6 miles @ 9.13/m.

Weds 23rd
    No running, just a walk up a local hill in the morning with a pal, and then another walk in the evening around town with two school friends. We'd cancelled indoor afternoon tea plans for the weekend before seeing as we were all nervous and going to be returning to parents afterwards. Just no need when we'd made it this far!

Thurs 24th
    Out to Mount Lucas wind farm earlyish so I'd be free to help the mother. Did the parkrun route, plus to and from the car park. 4 miles @ 8.27/m.

Fri 25th
    Just a walk with my mother and sister after dinner up to the crib in the church.

Sat 26th
    A run around town again to try feel less lumpish after Christmas Day's overeating! 6.2 miles @ 9.02/m. There were a few other runners out with the same idea it seemed. Always a lot of cyclists about too.

Sun 27th
    Again no run. Went with family to part of the Slieve Blooms (still in Offaly) for a walk. It was VERY mucky and there were a couple of dodgy moments. It probably wasn't the smartest walk after the rainfall on Saturday night but I'd say it's lovely in summer! Felt very lucky to be able to go for a walk like that with my 70+ year old parents, especially in a year like this.

20 miles running for the week!

Mon 28th
    They've 'done up' i.e. tarmacadamed some of the canal walkway near Daingean in Offaly so I met a couple of friends to walk a bit of it. Nice spot, will have to head back for a run there I think.
    Went into the wind farm for a run on my way home, decided to venture off the parkrun route after looking at a sign showing the different routes. What the sign failed to show were the other roads I might come across... I spent at least 20 mins not really sure where the hell I was and not a sign of a single other person out there! My planned 5 miles turned into 8 (8.38/m) and I got a lovely head cold from being blown out of it under the turbines. Ah no harm done really.

I just need 12 more miles by the 31st to hit 1800 miles for the year so that's the goal for the next few days - I should manage it! I will think about 2021 also and what to do...

Happy New Year folks! It surely can't be as glum as 2020!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Mon 28th
    They've 'done up' i.e. tarmacadamed some of the canal walkway near Daingean in Offaly so I met a couple of friends to walk a bit of it. Nice spot, will have to head back for a run there I think.
    Went into the wind farm for a run on my way home, decided to venture off the parkrun route after looking at a sign showing the different routes. What the sign failed to show were the other roads I might come across... I spent at least 20 mins not really sure where the hell I was and not a sign of a single other person out there! My planned 5 miles turned into 8 (8.38/m) and I got a lovely head cold from being blown out of it under the turbines. Ah no harm done really.

You do know that the turbines have nothing to do with creating the wind right? in fact, technically they slow the wind down. ;);)

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote:
    You do know that the turbines have nothing to do with creating the wind right? in fact, technically they slow the wind down.

Well clearly I didn't know this :p they need to put up another sign explaining it all for dummies!

Seem to be a few resurrections around the training logs .. people are confusing Christmas with Easter it seems :pac:

Tues 29th Dec
    No run, just met schoolfriends again for more walking along the Grand Canal in Edenderry.Prob a good 8km walk tbh.

Weds 30th
    6.2 miles @9.00/m. Absolutely no discipline on pace this time of year, much like the no discipline on diet! Definitely didn't feel totally easy, that said I had the headcold still.

Thurs 31st
    6.1 miles @ 9.03/m to bring me just past 1800 miles for the year. I've never gotten more than 1365 before so I'm fairly chuffed with this! Curious if I can add a few extra each week now to hit 2000 in a year.

Fri 1st Jan 2021
    Handy afternoon miles just to start the year off nicely, 3.4 @ 9.01/m.

Sat 2nd Jan
    Decided to brave the canal bank on my own for a stretch (apparently its usually the haunt of our local drug dealers so have always avoided, but they seem to have taken the full Christmas break, not a sign of any :p ). It was lovely and SO FLAT! 5 miles @ 8.35/m.

Sun 3rd Jan
    Day spent sorting my return to Dublin so didn't get a run in. God knows when I'll get back to Offaly with the way things are gone again. But all healthy and stayed healthy over the holidays so long may that last.

Total 28.8 miles. Weeks like that won't get me 2000 miles but there are plenty of days left in the year :)

And now, 2021. I would like someone to just tell me what to do :rolleyes: I don't really know what to focus on. I had signed up for Connemara half but as the days go by, it hardly seems likely to go ahead. So I dunno. If anyone would like to give me suggestions, I'd like that a lot !!!

I'll be getting back to my S&C this week anyway, presumably haven't gone backwards too much in the last 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'd see no harm in doing a half marathon plan regardless of whether conn goes ahead or not, it'll be decent mileage and probably have lots of tempo, longer intervals? Or find a good base building plan and focus on improving aerobic fitness. Unfortunately I don't see any races happening this side of September but I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's tough going without races. Hard to see Conn going ahead, it's too early in the year. You could target a fast HM in Charleville in Sept ;)

In the meantime maybe a base plan or the Grads 10k-HM plan. That's a nice plan with lots of variety.

Or how do you feel about the 10k now, unfinished business perhaps? You could set a date 10-12 weeks out from now for a TT. Restrictions permitting maybe you could drum up interest from a few other runners from here to do it with you.

I'd see no harm in doing a half marathon plan regardless of whether conn goes ahead or not, it'll be decent mileage and probably have lots of tempo, longer intervals? Or find a good base building plan and focus on improving aerobic fitness. Unfortunately I don't see any races happening this side of September but I could be wrong!

Yeah, very true. And if an autumn marathon happens, it would be a good place to be in.
    I did 10 weeks of Daniels kind-of base / aerobic stuff before Christmas. I enjoyed it but a bit keen to do something else now. Maybe that is impatient of me!

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    It's tough going without races. Hard to see Conn going ahead, it's too early in the year. You could target a fast HM in Charleville in Sept ;)

In the meantime maybe a base plan or the Grads 10k-HM plan. That's a nice plan with lots of variety.

Or how do you feel about the 10k now, unfinished business perhaps? You could set a date 10-12 weeks out from now for a TT. Restrictions permitting maybe you could drum up interest from a few other runners from here to do it with you.

I did the Grads half plan this time last year actually, it is great alright and did me well.
    I definitely feel like there is much unfinished business with the 10k. The problem is every distance looks tempting right now (which is probably a good sign in terms of motivation), it's just so hard to choose with no definite targets.
    What are YOU going to do for the late winter / spring?? :pac:

Sure you're sorted! Focus on 10k for the first part of 2021, do some base building following that and then target the HM in Sept/Oct! That's similar to my plan although I was going for a 10 miler later in the year but Charleville is on my door step so.... :D.

I did the Grads half plan this time last year actually, it is great alright and did me well.
    I definitely feel like there is much unfinished business with the 10k. The problem is every distance looks tempting right now (which is probably a good sign in terms of motivation), it's just so hard to choose with no definite targets.

I've set a date for a 10m TT in March so that's the focus for the next 9/10 weeks. I registered for a 10m last March which rolled over to this March. I assume it won't go ahead but I'll do a TT on the day regardless - it gives me a focus and it fits in with my plans for later in the year which is an Autumn marathon.

I completely understand what you mean about every distance being tempting though! I've been the very same in previous years and I've dithered about and to some degree ended up in a state of paralysis by analysis. I think you and I are both in a good position where we can still improve at every distance and that is what makes it so hard to decide, it's like sitting in front of a box of sweets and trying to pick just one or two :pac:

Sometimes talking through it with someone can help you to find the answer, the right probing question might just reveal the answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Poop...... Now that I've dragged down the tone as promised......

It's a tricky time with no races and given I'm only catching up on your log I'm not sure how you feel about TT's. If you're a fan then a proper race specific block wouldn't do any harm.

As you may/may not know I spent most of 2020 base building. That's not to say I didn't have big chunky sessions. I did but there was very little race specific stuff that you'd normally see in a 'plan from a book'. I came on massively. That being said it was a coached base building block and for sure I wouldn't have been able to pluck that plan from a book or online. Base building as I've seen in books/online is very different to what I experienced last year. I almost wouldn't have known I was base building other than I was told! Lol.

What am I trying to say. I think there's huge benefit in base building in the absense of any meaningful races but you'll benefit less from just plucking another base plan from Daniels and just rerunning it. It depends what motivated you? Is it the training or is it the target?

If you're OK with TT and you're motivated by an end goal then I'd always lean towards 10k (personal preference). HM and M training is a little more draining on the body especially in lockdown and might be hard to keep motivated knowing you only have a TT at the end. 10k has nice sharp sessions to keep things interesting and provides a good base to move down or up in distance after. It's a nice midpoint. But I'm biased as we all know at this stage.

Poop........ Awful low tone in this log......

It's a tricky time with no races and given I'm only catching up on your log I'm not sure how you feel about TT's. If you're a fan then a proper race specific block wouldn't do any harm.

As you may/may not know I spent most of 2020 base building. That's not to say I didn't have big chunky sessions. I did but there was very little race specific stuff that you'd normally see in a 'plan from a book'. I came on massively. That being said it was a coached base building block and for sure I wouldn't have been able to pluck that plan from a book or online. Base building as I've seen in books/online is very different to what I experienced last year. I almost wouldn't have known I was base building other than I was told! Lol.

What am I trying to say. I think there's huge benefit in base building in the absense of any meaningful races but you'll benefit less from just plucking another base plan from Daniels and just rerunning it. It depends what motivated you? Is it the training or is it the target?

If you're OK with TT and you're motivated by an end goal then I'd always lean towards 10k (personal preference). HM and M training is a little more draining on the body especially in lockdown and might be hard to keep motivated knowing you only have a TT at the end. 10k has nice sharp sessions to keep things interesting and provides a good base to move down or up in distance after. It's a nice midpoint. But I'm biased as we all know at this stage.

Your trolling needs work.

Thanks for the input however :) I don't mind the idea of TTs up to 10k, but then the reality of them is fairly awful! You asked what motivated me... I think just the love of running? So many times last year I loved being out and being able to run. That said, I am also very very keen to hit certain times over certain distances so...
    I had mostly decided on following a 10k plan following AGYR and ariana's input yesterday, possibly a Daniel's one. I quite enjoy following plans from books personally, especially with this place as an online resource when I have questions or worries!

Would you not say this about 10 mile? It seems a million miles from 10k to Marathon or even HM, even in how you approach a 10k race, strategy etc. whereas 10 mile training gives a strong foundation to go up or down from and still without draining the body and mind as a HM or M would (I still can't believe how many people ran marathon TTs last year and did so well in them too, it's mind blowing!).

Sorry for the hijack V :o

Would you not say this about 10 mile? It seems a million miles from 10k to Marathon or even HM, even in how you approach a 10k race, strategy etc. whereas 10 mile training gives a strong foundation to go up or down from and still without draining the body and mind as a HM or M would (I still can't believe how many people ran marathon TTs last year and did so well in them too, it's mind blowing!).

No worries - it's a good question! I'd put a 10 mile as much the same thing as a HM in my head interestingly...

Yep definitely. I wouldn't really differentiate much between 10k and 10M training to be honest. As you move up in distance the emphasis shifts more towards the longer, harder sessions (high end aerobic and threshold but high volume). Some of those sessions you'd see healy and AMK running for Marathon training are frightening.

I don't think the gap from 10k to HM is as big as you think. Just a slight shift in emphasis. Same working down from 10k to 5k. That's why I see it as a nice midpoint. Well trained 10k runners have a really good base for HM and M training.

10M training and 10k training are very similar (in my opinion). Maybe your just getting a slightly better base off the 10M if plan is to move up in distance after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And now, 2021. I would like someone to just tell me what to do :rolleyes: I don't really know what to focus on. I had signed up for Connemara half but as the days go by, it hardly seems likely to go ahead. So I dunno. If anyone would like to give me suggestions, I'd like that a lot !!!

'Process, not outcome' is how Ben Parkes put it in one of his recent videos. Mind you, he's aiming for 4,000 miles this year. But yeah, he's right and you'd understand this mindset too, both theory and practice. ;)

No worries - it's a good question! I'd put a 10 mile as much the same thing as a HM in my head interestingly...
    Yep definitely. I wouldn't really differentiate much between 10k and 10M training to be honest. As you move up in distance the emphasis shifts more towards the longer, harder sessions (high end aerobic and threshold but high volume). Some of those sessions you'd see healy and AMK running for Marathon training are frightening.

I don't think the gap from 10k to HM is as big as you think. Just a slight shift in emphasis. Same working down from 10k to 5k. That's why I see it as a nice midpoint. Well trained 10k runners have a really good base for HM and M training.

10M training and 10k training are very similar (in my opinion). Maybe your just getting a slightly better base off the 10M if plan is to move up in distance after.

Yeah interesting.

I see 10k as being a bit like 5k, uncomfortable pace from the start. But i've yet to run a 10k race that i'm happy with so maybe i'm doing it wrong.

10m is more like HM, in that the pace is quite comfortable in the early miles and it's the distance that makes it start to hurt. But i haven't done one of these in almost 2 years so maybe i'm doing these wrong too :pac:

The difference for me between 10m and HM is two-fold, 1 fuelling isn't an issue on 10m whereas HM (at my pace) probably need to factor it in. And secondly those last 3 miles! Not much I know but the longer training runs bring me into a zone where I take a bit longer to recover and have a bit less enjoyment! I love long runs up to 12 miles and don't mind the occasional 14m thrown in to the peak weeks, perfect for 10m. Once I'm up around 14+ mile week in week out I need significantly more recovery and sleep etc.

• Advertisement

'Process, not outcome' is how Ben Parkes put it in one of his recent videos. Mind you, he's aiming for 4,000 miles this year. But yeah, he's right and you'd understand this mindset too, both theory and practice. ;)

Haven't watched that lad before.. does he not feel like a bit of a tool getting his mate to film him running in busy London :pac:
    But yes, he is not wrong about process :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't watched that lad before.. does he not feel like a bit of a tool getting his mate to film him running in busy London :pac:
    But yes, he is not wrong about process :D

It's his partner, she has her own channel. Yeah, I don't know how people do vlogging in public without 'state of ya' comments coming back. :pac: Maybe that's why I've never seen it happening here, even though plenty of tourists post Irish videos. :pac:

Yeah interesting.

I see 10k as being a bit like 5k, uncomfortable pace from the start. But i've yet to run a 10k race that i'm happy with so maybe i'm doing it wrong.

10m is more like HM, in that the pace is quite comfortable in the early miles and it's the distance that makes it start to hurt. But i haven't done one of these in almost 2 years so maybe i'm doing these wrong too :pac:

The difference for me between 10m and HM is two-fold, 1 fuelling isn't an issue on 10m whereas HM (at my pace) probably need to factor it in. And secondly those last 3 miles! Not much I know but the longer training runs bring me into a zone where I take a bit longer to recover and have a bit less enjoyment! I love long runs up to 12 miles and don't mind the occasional 14m thrown in to the peak weeks, perfect for 10m. Once I'm up around 14+ mile week in week out I need significantly more recovery and sleep etc.

Ah in terms of racing its different.

10km shouldnt be overly uncomfortable from the start. Thats just practice (and also depends on your approach as a runner). I dont go hard at the start of a 10k. Its not until im at halfway that doubts set in.

Mon 4th Jan
    3.4m @ 9.10/m.

Tues 5th Jan
    40 mins S&C
    6 miles @ 9.11/m, can't remember much about this run except I changed it from 5 to 6 miles cos I was enjoying it. HR a bit all over the place, avg 151.

Weds 6th
    5.4 miles @ 9.32/m. Managed the HR a little better, avg 146.

Thurs 7th
    Very cold evening. 5.2 miles @ 9.25/m. Don't think I bothered with the HRM.

Fri 8th
    Had intended to get up early to do my S&C but my bed was far too cosy :rolleyes:
    Handy 3.3 miles @ 9.16/m in the evening.

Sat 9th
    Out in the very fresh morning for 6 easy miles @ 9.20/m. Didn't check the watch for HR throughout but tried to focus on keeping it feeling easy - avg 149 so not easy easy but tbh it's what I've come to expect every 4 weeks or so. Finally getting a good understanding of how my body operates. I'd headed to UCD to use the trails but had to change my plan after some a$$hole ignored my polite request that he put his very boundy dog on a lead.
    To make myself feel ok about not doing my S&C Friday, I did a nice 20 minutes of mobility and core stuff after my run.

Sun 10th
    Lazy morning then out at lunchtime for a jaunt within my 5km zone. Nice day for it but the paths are very busy! 8.3 miles @ 9.16/m. Didn't bother use the HRM again knowing it would show high anyway.

Total 37.8. Happy enough.

Going to add back in some faster stuff this week now, probably with a mind to starting some 10k stuff next week..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'd headed to UCD to use the trails but had to change my plan after some a$$hole ignored my polite request that he put his very boundy dog on a lead.

I hear ya! It's got to the stage now where I don't even ask, I just avoid, because it gets me so wound up it's not worth it. I've heard it all : 'He's just a puppy' (he's the size of Digby!), 'He's just playing' (he's slobbering over my leggings?) etc. There's a lot of new owners out there at the minute who don't have a clue :(

Bungy Girl wrote:
    I hear ya! It's got to the stage now where I don't even ask, I just avoid, because it gets me so wound up it's not worth it. I've heard it all : 'He's just a puppy' (he's the size of Digby!), 'He's just playing' (he's slobbering over my leggings?) etc. There's a lot of new owners out there at the minute who don't have a clue

There are so many more dogs in the last 10 months or whatever its been. Most owners are grand and do use leads or get the dog onto one very quickly when I ask, but there's always the odd inconsiderate dope around sadly. They just don't comprehend that not everyone is OK with four legged creatures. Someday I'll tackle the problem from my side..

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I hear ya! It's got to the stage now where I don't even ask, I just avoid, because it gets me so wound up it's not worth it. I've heard it all : 'He's just a puppy' (he's the size of Digby!), 'He's just playing' (he's slobbering over my leggings?) etc. There's a lot of new owners out there at the minute who don't have a clue :(
    There are so many more dogs in the last 10 months or whatever its been. Most owners are grand and do use leads or get the dog onto one very quickly when I ask, but there's always the odd inconsiderate dope around sadly. They just don't comprehend that not everyone is OK with four legged creatures. Someday I'll tackle the problem from my side..

I regularly stop mid run to talk to and/or snuggle dogs (don't bother with the human owners though :p). I totally understand they are not everyone's thing though and there are some idiots out there for sure. I really really wish they'd ban those dangerous retractable leads!!

Going to add back in some faster stuff this week now, probably with a mind to starting some 10k stuff next week..?

Or just go straight into it :o

I'd been looking at the Daniels 10k plan and thought I'd ease into the first week, not necessarily do the full sessions or whatever but I ended up doing them all because 1. I felt good and 2. I was enjoying them once I got started. I don't even know if I'll try a 10k TT at some point but I'm not too fussed to be honest.

Mon 11th Jan
    Easy running and 10 x 20 sec strides. HRM was on for all runs this week, tried to keep it properly lower for this one, avg 133. 5 miles total, avg pace 10.01/m.

Tues 12th
    45 mins S&C.
    First session of the week after work. It was 2 sets of 8 x 200 (800m between sets), but I was going to let myself just do one if I wasn't feeling up to it. But I really really enjoy 200s I have to say.
    2 mile warmup and drills, then into set 1 (I did ease in with the 1st two having not done anything 'fast' since mid Dec):
    54, 53, 46, 47, 47, 47, 47, 47 (recoveries also 200 and I walked for 100m and then jogged 100m)

800m recovery jog before Set 2:
    46, 50, 48, 47, 48, 50, 44, 46. Seemed to take my foot off the pedal on a couple but woke myself up for the last two.
    Only did about 1km cool down for 7 miles total.

Weds 13th
    Easy miles with some strides again. Legs felt heavy at first as expected but loosened up nicely. 5.4 miles @ 9.58/m avg, HR 139.

Thurs 14th
    Easy miles and attempted the January Challenge. I ran a route that seemed to take me between 58 mins and 1 hour on the other occasions I've ran it, so I just tried to channel how I ran it on those days but obviously ran slower - 1.01! Will try again this week for sure. 6.3 miles @ 9.41/m, HR 145.

Fri 15th
    40 mins S&C.
    Another session and one that had me both intrigued and scared.

WU, 4 x 200 (off 200), 2 x 1 mile @ threshold (1 min rest), 4 x 200, CD

So first things first, I had figured out 'threshold' to be 7.30 range for me, and I extended the rest to 2 mins :) I ran over to UCD (2 mile WU) to run this, mostly for the mile loop I run a fair bit over there (although slightly altered on the dark evenings). The 1st set of 200s were on a slight slope with rep 1 and 3 on the downward direction, and 2 and 4 on the upward way.
    48, 50, 47, 47 (same approach with recoveries as Tuesday)

I was nervous of the 1 mile reps by now, and as I suspected I might do, I ran started out too hard :rolleyes:

7.26 for the first one after I eased myself up a little. Stood around dreading the 2nd one for 2 minutes and then ran it ALL too hard! 7.11. It felt brutal so I just wanted it over with, but maybe I wouldn't have felt like that if I was actually running at the pace I wanted... vicious cycle.

Felt tired enough but said I'd at least try a couple of 200s again - they went great! Suppose I was well warmed up?! I did walk the full 200m recoveries though so presume that helped a lot.
    42, 41, 42, 41.

1 mile cool down for 7 miles total.

Sat 16th
    Legs felt very heavy for this easy run, understandable after Friday evening's session. 4.1 miles @ 9.51/m, HR 143. Legs loosened out well again though.

Sun 17th
    Another lazy Sunday morning before heading out at lunchtime. Daniels has the LR at 25% of the full week's mileage so just over 8 miles was plenty. Picked a route thats uphill for the first 3 miles and kept an eye on HR, fairly slow as a result (which is fine) and then enjoyed the downhill return (minus bloody Mount Merrion). Enjoyed myself a lot. 8.4 miles @ 9.38/m avg, HR 144 (though it did creep into 150s a few times on hills).

Total miles: 43.4. Highest in a long time and fingers crossed will become the norm most weeks!

If anyone has watched Team Ingebrigsten, the 2 episodes of the latest season are up on YouTube with dodgy subtitles :) Was interesting to see how they tried to cope with the pandemic. The sister looks like she is going to be great too. AND I finally picked up Born to Run from my bookshelf, so good. Don't know if I'm tempted to run barefoot just yet though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's some change of pace between the first and second half of the Fri session alright. How are you getting your paces for these - VDOT values based on recent race/TT times? I know you're feeling your way into it, but I think it's really important to nail down the target times for this kind of stuff. 41 to 50 secs is quite the range.

Are there many cars on the old UCD track at the moment? Last time I was over there there was probably enough of it available to do 200s. I think it's good to do these reps on the same piece of ground for accurate comparison. 200s are just too short to be accurately measured by the watch (which might account for some of the range).

Good to see this. I'm considering jumping into part of that plan myself for a 5k tune-up.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote:
    That's some change of pace between the first and second half of the Fri session alright. How are you getting your paces for these - VDOT values based on recent race/TT times? I know you're feeling your way into it, but I think it's really important to nail down the target times for this kind of stuff. 41 to 50 secs is quite the range.
    I'll be honest, I never checked what I should be doing these in but always have 45-47 in mind for them - though now I realise that's from when I was trying the mile stuff. There's my homework for this week. Broad range alright..
    Murph_D wrote:
    Are there many cars on the old UCD track at the moment? Last time I was over there there was probably enough of it available to do 200s. I think it's good to do these reps on the same piece of ground for accurate comparison. 200s are just too short to be accurately measured by the watch (which might account for some of the range).

I don't know, it's the far side from where I live so I don't end up over there much and I'm not sure if it's lit up in the evenings. The sports fields and the road beside them have a bit of light and activity so feel sensible enough to be using. On Tuesday I used an ovally space in an estate I've often used so I can tell when they're matching up (mostly).

Advertisement