Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Generator

Options
  • 19-10-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone
    I assume many people are thinking this at the moment but with the recent storm i am going to buy a generator to give us some power in the event of another storm
    i just want one that i can run in the shed, connect a long extension lead to it. Bring that lead into the house and plug in the fridge , tv and sky box, two lamps and a bar heater
    Would anyone be able to recommend one that would suffice for this ? 

Thanks in advance
      [*]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

this would be a question I have too, as it would be damn handy to have for a light and the fridge and freezer, in case we will be cut off for a few days in next big wind

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In would be best to get a generator change over switch and generator plug / socket arrangement installed. That way you plug the generator in, start it up and then operate the change over switch. Obviously connecting a large load to a small generator is not a good idea, but you switch everything off before starting the generator and only turn on what is required. I generally install an "ESB" on light so that it is apparent when the ESB supply is back.

For safety reasons this work should only be carried out by a qualified electrician, from a legal perspective the work should be carried out by a REC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

In regards to a domestic change over switch.

What is the prefered method for the switch.
      1) After the 63amp S/F or MCB.

2) Before the 63amp S/F or MCB. So esb tails straight to chage over switch then the 63amp S/F or MCB.

I would take it 1 is more common, simplest to do.

Just asking, I have seen alot of gennies sold for the domestic use with built in over current protection, Great.
      And a good few without, at least with option 2 you have some protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Tuco88 wrote: »

And a good few without, at least with option 2 you have some protection.
      It's unlikely that the generator would be able to deliver anywhere near enough current into a short circuit condition for this to provide any protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I take it method 1 is the most common so?

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Not sure about the generators ... but a PV inverter needs to be certified to Irish grid standard and needs to have a very speciffic healthy feature: automatic anti-islanding circuitry ... read more HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

rolion wrote:
      Not sure about the generators ... but a PV inverter needs to be certified to Irish grid standard and needs to have a very speciffic healthy feature: automatic anti-islanding circuitry ... read more

A standby generator is not grid tied, so this would not apply. The change over switch ensures the generator can never be connected to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Some of the suggestions here seems a bit complex for the man's situation. Domestic situation, independent of the mains supply and nothing too critical that needs continuity, so it would be far cheaper going down the route he described - manually switching over by unplugging from the mains and plugging them directly into a lead to a generator. Pain in the backside but OK if it is just for very infrequent backup.

OP - nothing you listed uses too much electricity except the bar heater. If you could source a gas heater, you would be able to save a lot on buying a generator. Just make sure the generator you get has an inverter - a standard generator could do serious damage to electronics. Just make sure you list EVERYTHING you want to run before you buy one - a small item like a kettle can make a huge difference to the size and cost of generator you would need.

And don't skimp on the extension cable if the shed is a fair distance away- pretty much everything you can buy retail is crap. Get an electrician to advise and/or make you one up.

Grid tied pv inverters need a grid to operate.
      Battery inverters do not and they would be my personal preferance to gensets but require an element of energy awareness to get the most outtov and you need at least a 1kW true sine to start most fridge compressors. So not a realistically viable solution for occasional use. More reliable though, low maintenance. UPS with a few extra tractor batteries probably get you pretty far.

Makes more sense to burn gas for heat instead of burning dinosaurs at 40% efficiency & venting the waste heat to the atmosphere to run a lecky heater indoors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Popeleo wrote: »
      it would be far cheaper going down the route he described

True.
      manually switching over by unplugging from the mains and plugging them directly into a lead to a generator. Pain in the backside but OK if it is just for very infrequent backup.

....a pain in the @rse, especially when you consider that power often goes because there is a storm.

OP - nothing you listed uses too much electricity except the bar heater. If you could source a gas heater, you would be able to save a lot on buying a generator.

Good point.

I forgot to say, running a generator in a shed could be dangerous due to the carbon monoxide that it produces. It would be preferable to run it outside or at least have it close to an open door and have the exhaust pointing to the door.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
      It's unlikely that the generator would be able to deliver anywhere near enough current into a short circuit condition for this to provide any protection.

Protective devices such as fuses and MCBs are designed to operate on overload as well as shot circuit conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Markcheese

As was said above don't plan on plugging in a kettle, most kettles will use 2 to 3 kW on their own... An electric heater will use 1 kW per bar (a 1 bar heater 1 kw, 2 bar heater 2kw), fridges etc a lot less but it should be written on the back what they need.. And also as said above the longer the run, the heavier the cable needed.. Plus your neighbours may not thank you if you have a loud generator that's running 24/7 next to their house ( but away from yours)... Go to a tool hire /sales place and ask what they'll cost... You won't be too bothered about efficiency more reliability..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Guys
      As some people have said above , i am looking for a simple solution. The power does not go out often but when it does i just dont want to be in complete darkness, i just want to have the fridge , a few lamps and tv etc plugged in to pr event my 2 year old going into meltdown :-)
      The suggestion above of a gas heater sounds like a good idea and this will reduce the load on the generator. 
      So for things like tv / sky box / two work lamps / american fridge freezer and maybe phone chargers - could anyone post a link to a generator that will suffice for these (with an invertor) ?

would this work ?
      https://jebbtools.ie/collections/generators/products/sip-medusa-ti-2002-inverter-generator-2000w

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Guys
      As some people have said above , i am looking for a simple solution. The power does not go out often but when it does i just dont want to be in complete darkness, i just want to have the fridge , a few lamps and tv etc plugged in to pr event my 2 year old going into meltdown :-)
      The suggestion above of a gas heater sounds like a good idea and this will reduce the load on the generator. 
      So for things like tv / sky box / two work lamps / american fridge freezer and maybe phone chargers - could anyone post a link to a generator that will suffice for these (with an invertor) ?

Im not sure you realize because you have not awknowledged yet.

Your house would have to be isolated from the grid should you plug a generator into its supply.

Its not 'easy' there are laws in place for this.

Are you aware of that part at least?

I am not plugging a generator into the grid supply. I will be running the generator in a shed, running an extension lead from the generator into the house and plugging stuff like tv etc into the extension lead sockets

this is what i said in my very first post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Good selection up in Armagh away from the panic down south.

I've used many gererator set ups over the years and I agree with your simple emergency set up, as a starting point.

http://www.gosfordequipment.com/ourshop/cat_519099-Generators.html

2.7Kw / 3.5Kva Petrol Generator - GX200 Honda Engine
      Top Box 2x110v & 2x220volt sockets - In a full frame £580 sterling inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Hi everyone
      I assume many people are thinking this at the moment but with the recent storm i am going to buy a generator to give us some power in the event of another storm
      i just want one that i can run in the shed, connect a long extension lead to it. Bring that lead into the house and plug in the fridge , tv and sky box, two lamps and a bar heater
      Would anyone be able to recommend one that would suffice for this ? 

Thanks in advance
        [*]

Are all these going to be in one room connected to the one extension lead ?

Bigus wrote: »
        Good selection up in Armagh away from the panic down south.

I've used many gererator set ups over the years and I agree with your simple emergency set up, as a starting point.

http://www.gosfordequipment.com/ourshop/cat_519099-Generators.html

2.7Kw / 3.5Kva Petrol Generator - GX200 Honda Engine
        Top Box 2x110v & 2x220volt sockets - In a full frame £580 sterling inc vat
        Thats not an invertor though, dont i need that for electronics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Give them a ring I'd say it has an inverter , advertisers seem to only say inverter on the really cheap stuff , i.e. It's a given on better spec stuff.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »

Give them a ring I'd say it has an inverter , advertisers seem to only say inverter on the really cheap stuff , i.e. It's a given on better spec stuff.
        Is this the same thing (cheaper down south) - there is no AVR, what is that ?
        http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=56_70&product_id=685

thanks for all the help. I am going with this one
        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senci-SC2000i-Inverter-Petrol-Generator/dp/B00NVJW212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508502093&sr=8-1&keywords=Senci+SC2000i+Inverter+Petrol+Generator+With+Yamaha+Engine+2kw

I will double check my appliances but i should be able to get tv / sky box / phone charger / broadband modem and fridge freezer in this one easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J7LKV0M/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza#Ask

I will double check my appliances but i should be able to get tv / sky box / phone charger / broadband modem and fridge freezer in this one easily enough

That should be OK, don't run it in an enclosed space (Shed) though, generators need cool fresh air to work properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I am not plugging a generator into the grid supply. I will be running the generator in a shed, running an extension lead from the generator into the house and plugging stuff like tv etc into the extension lead sockets

Perfectly good idea. The change over switch idea is total over kill. At least with a lead into the house its obvious what is plugged into it reducing the chance of overloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Just a suggestion, start the generator and run it on load once a month or so, and drain the carburettor float bowl when you are finished. Many generators are left sitting in the corner of a shed for months or years and then unsurprisingly refuse to start when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Being from coastal west Cork, we were used to no power so my parents set the house up for a generator so I think this is what you want.
        We've a simple switch installed in the main fuse box, 1 is ESB, 0 is off and 2 is internal power. I can't remember how much it was but it wasn't a big expense about 8 years ago.
        There's a plug outside for the generator so it's simple enough to run. Turn the power to 0, plug in the cables, start the generator and switch to internal power.
        We've a 3200watt generator running the house so lights, fridge, freezer and a travel 900w kettle all working ok. The oil boiler should work off that, i'm not sure about the water pump, something on my to check list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

You need to ask yourself how often the power goes out, if twice or more a year than a hard wired generator could be justified. we only have power outages maybe once every two or three years so I do same as OP and run an extension cord to what I need.

Lived off our 2600W generator in florida for three days after a hurricane, we were able to run an ameican size fridg, TV, internet router and modem, laptops, charge phones, and a large fan to keep us cool. Those few luxuries (especially the fridge with ice cold beer) made a big difference in quality of life

Don't forget to have a few large jerry cans standing by for petrol

Guys

would this work ?
        https://jebbtools.ie/collections/generators/products/sip-medusa-ti-2002-inverter-generator-2000w

OK so you don't want the switch.

I would recommend it though it's simple and cheap to do handier in storm conditions.

That Gen looks crap tbh it's a site Gen for plugging in tools etc and radios.

This would be more up your alley

https://ie.wellindal.com/diy/einhell/p-45223?r=4006825589399&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvabPBRD5ARIsAIwFXBnrQK7YaxWbABafCRK2BMsHN6HfICAUSm5JgV4d9e9YpX7upNln8DUaAsfrEALw_wcB

Those plastic gens have max run limits where they have to be turned off for Some time to cool down. Be conscious of such requirements with any purchase

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senci-SC2000i-Inverter-Petrol-Generator/dp/B00NVJW212/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508502093&sr=8-1&keywords=Senci+SC2000i+Inverter+Petrol+Generator+With+Yamaha+Engine+2kw

Max Run time 6 hours fuel tank 4 litres.

Not for my money. No thanks.

• Advertisement

power gone again this morning so ordering this one on monday. I cant justify getting one wired to the grid even though it would be fantastic. I will start with the method of running extension leads for now and see then

what ye think of this one ? gets great reviews

http://www.championgenerators.co.uk/Shop/champion-generators/uk-generators/silent-inverter-generators/cpe-3100-watt-inverter-generator-euro

As another poster said above, if i was able to keep the fridge going and charge devices / power lamps and watch tv then all would be fine as we would be in work during the day

Advertisement