Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 8 | Episode 1 | Mercy [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Pelvis wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty obvious that they were shooting indiscriminately to lure in the walkers.
    Would the explosives not have done the same trick?

Anyone spot the blooper about 3 mins in? Theres a jet trail to the left of Rick's head. Its a bit blurred. As to the episode itself, flat enough I thought. No stand out moments tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Fairly shoddy opening to the series. They seemed to be shooting the glass for the hell of it. Will see if next weeks is any better. Otherwise will probably let a couple of episodes build up.

It was Suppressive fire by the armored fire support mobile column to cover the advance of the VBIED in the RV and the herde. The goal is pin them down.

The plan was good given the lack of heavy weapons i.e. artillery etc

They used Dwight's intel to eliminate the smaller outposts
    Lured the larger outpost into an IED ambush.
    Gathered a herd of biters

Plan A for the main compound
    Attempted to get the saviours to turn on each other using Dwight intel
    the names of the lieutenants the fact that negan is hated , divide and conquer by giving terms , did not work thou.

Plan B
    After that failed. They sent in the VBIED in the RV to destroy saviors perimeter under covering fire and then directed the herd into the breach while making escape in the armored fire support mobile column.

The saviours have now lost all their outposts and their main compound is filled with a herd with a destroyed perimeter

The vehicles and tactics Looked like something out the syria war.
    Its difficult to make decisive war without proper weapons

on the downside

the speechs are terrible we have heard these a dozen times. They should have had them show briefing instead and explain the plan and equipment.

Flashforwards/dreams are confusing

Negans + co should not have been in line of sight during the standoff

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It was better than most of last season but that wasn't difficult and that's because they stuck to a straightforward narrative structure (barring the flash forward stuff which didn't make any sense whatsoever).

Those 'we're gonna make the world a better place' speeches from Rick and Maggie were toe-curlingly awful. Who would be inspired by that rubbish?

As people have already said, the Negan shootout had more holes in it than the windows of his compound. Did we need another poxy cliché-ridden speech from Negan? No, sirree we sure as HELL did not!

The first sighting of Tara in her stupid sunglasses just set me on edge, I cannot stand the sight of her. But hey, no trash people so that was a bonus!

In conjunction with the premiere they showed a behind the scenes thing which basically recapped the whole series to date mixed in with interviews and the like. And all it did was remind us how great Walking Dead was once. Now it's just the A Team with zombies lurching around in the background. But at least the A Team was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So.. wtf.
    The cgi of the car blowing up was just laughable, could they not do it for real?
    Then the timing of the horde to within a couple of seconds was fantastic, some calculations there lads.
    Then Gabriel, what in the name of fook have you done now.
    Let see.. Ah yeah what's the point of the mayor? He's as useful as tits on a nun.
    The petrol station scene seemed to be a throwback to the first episode ever when Rick looks for petrol.
    Then this new Indian lad, that will be 1 full episode dedicated to him.
    When we see rick old I was half thinking they were suggesting he's only just waking up from coma he was in.
    4/10 and honestly fear the walking dead is much better than this.
    Be nearly better to simply put both sets of families in the one show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah, that was not the miracle I expected. Typical return to the magic plot armour factory where Negan can stand proudly on a blatantly obvious parapet spewing his nonsense - armed with a baseball bat no less - while no-one thinks to take that easy shot, instead prefer to roar threats and logic at him, despite all the effort that went into his apparent end.

0/10 for me.

Total waste of time. Action aplenty. Devoid of any semblence of logic. **** sake, could the writers not take a few notes from Fear the Walking Dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I was bit confused near the end, we saw people banging on the blue door at the dish/research place, then later yerman threw a grenade, presumably to blow up the door and release lots of pent up zombies that it cut to a high shot which I didn't know what it was supposed to be showing us

hella confusing episode, we had three extra times for rick, old grey man beard, red eyed distress, and then a flash back to the speeches at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

This show seriously needs new writers that episode was just rubbish, The snipers can take out guys on a multi story roof but could not take out Neegan give me a flipping break.

gimple likes to mess with the audience, in not revealing whats going on, but he does it too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well that 45 mins of my life I'll never get back. The big black dude had a Hk416 with an ACOG sight on it. Give that to Rick, Rick pops Neegan in the head, he was what, 100m away? job done. But no instead Neegan gets to stand there and talk sh!t for a few minutes while they all hide behind their cars, which btw were plated with sheet metal used for roofing sheds, that stuff would barely stop a shot from an air rifle. I knew it would be sh!t I don't why I bothered downloading it, I wanted to see what would happen out of some morbid curiosity is suppose. I'm gonna wait a few weeks and then attempt a binge watch, maybe. Tried that last series though and it was just too awful. I ended up just reading the plot synopsis and then watching the final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

CGI of a walker on the left Of The screen at the 36 minute mark was shockingly bad.

Would have been better putting nothing in there or shooting from a different angle, focusing on the other walker not the right that wasn't CGI'ed in.

<Rant over>

Skipped through a lot of the filler in the episode, and did the same with the 80 minute Talking Dead special. It involved a lot of 'wooing' patting themselves on the back. Too much for my liking. In case anyone feels the need to watch it don't.

Only takeaway from talking dead was that the Crossover with 'Fear' will take place sometime in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cylor

How does Team Rick know that Negan won't have a few grenades around when they arrive? Didn't the Saviours confiscate the RPG that Daryl used?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Feels like the writers don't even try with this show any more. Gabriel gets locked in the portacabin with Negan and looks like he's crapping himself. Gabriel you have a bloody machine gun that you loaded a few minutes earlier. Just shoot him ffs! He has a baseball bat! The writers could at least show him dropping his gun first or something.

Also why doesn't someone just shoot Negan when he's out giving one of his long speeches? He's not that far away. Any decent shot in your group should be able to blow his head off. Instead they all just sit there bantering back and forth with him.

Normally I can ignore stuff like that and suspend disbelief but it's got so bad on TWD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Probably one of the worst season openers in TWD. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Watching TWD actually makes me appreciate GOT's last season all the more. I mean GOT doesn't even have anymore source material to run with and they do a better job.

TWD writing formula
    - Give cringy "rousing" speech (give those actors and extras an award for their performance in looking interested cause I certainly wasn't)
    - Cool shot of Daryl doing something cool.
    - Force a sweet moment between 2 characters for no reason at all (Rick and Maggie in this case)
    - Make someone do something VERY dumb for some added tension (Fr. Gabriel)
    - Add action scene where thousands of bullets are shot but no one (with a name in the opening titles) dies. Didn't they get criticism for this after the season finale when no one died? Looks like they don't care either way.

AMC clearly just want this to keep going so they can syndicate the show and sell as many seasons as possible to other countries. Oh and Negan is a terrible villain. Cheesy dialogue and honestly terrible acting from Morgan, just smile and lean backwards when you walk and there you have it, evil genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

I think there all sick from some man flu type sickness and Rick is raving mad.

The opening ep will have a different look in a few weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I can handle not wasting Negan when he was standing talking shyte, makes sense that they were hoping his men would turn on him meaning it would end with his death rather than just shooting him and they retaliate straight away.

What I cannot handle is how fcuking fast the walkers made it to the compound, the time lines were completely screwy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Watch season 1 of Star Trek Discovery, a lot less leaning and Captain Lorca would give Negan a run for his money in the bad-ass steaks !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

worst episode ever

EVER (including some of the ones in season 2!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I can handle not wasting Negan when he was standing talking shyte, makes sense that they were hoping his men would turn on him meaning it would end with his death rather than just shooting him and they retaliate straight away.

What I cannot handle is how fcuking fast the walkers made it to the compound, the time lines were completely screwy.

This is a man who doesn't blink when caving someone's head in with a bat! ......first opportunity you take him out and anyone around him

But you'd understand not killing him in the opening episode of a series, you just don't do that scene.......it's sloppy and lazy writing/direction

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

I assume that was Judith showing Rick the owl in his flash forward, and she looks about 5 years older. Rick looks about 25 years older.

I think we should all be wearing our ****ting pants from now on.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'll say it. I enjoyed it. It felt like there was some tension. Trying not to over analyse the shocking amount of ammunition wasted, or the storm trooper quality shooting from Rick and the piss patrol. That Carol smoke grenade thing was weird. Never mind the speeches, the little chats leading up to it were awful. I got your back etc. Glad they found the only Muslim left alive. Jesus, they didn't give him pork, did they?

Darrell looking ridiculously cool as usual. Love his bike actually. Must ride like a hit though, with those tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Boards User : "why cant they Just shoot Negan, he is standing right there, out in the open, JUST SHOOT HIM!"

Answer: Because "the Plot"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

naughto wrote: »
    I think there all sick from some man flu type sickness and Rick is raving mad.

The opening ep will have a different look in a few weeks time.

You could be right. The only real Rick in this episode was the one with the red eyes. He is obviously sick or poisoned and everything else in the episode was just him hallucinating. It was too ridiculous to have really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i usually do be sitting around waiting to grab these of the internet. but yea after the last season im really dont feel like watching it anymore. I'l wait and check it out when its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I have emotionally detached myself from the show at this point. 

(I could rant and rave about how stupid it was that they just didn't shoot Negan while he was giving his speech (or Gabriel blow him away as soon as he sees him in the room at the end of the episode).  The nonsense during the flash forward/dream about how Rick has aged years (with a dodgy flat top haircut included) while Judith/Coral and Michonne haven't aged significantly.  I was also half waiting for Rick to shout "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!" during his speeches, total cheese.)

But I won't!  Just going to watch this show from now on in, enjoying the A Team style action and the corniness of it.  With that being said, enjoyed last nights show.  Hopefully the show comes to a close and they don't drag it out for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
      I was also half waiting for Rick to shout "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!" during his speeches, total cheese.)

mHM3DMk.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fox Hound wrote: »
    Boards User : "why cant they Just shoot Negan, he is standing right there, out in the open, JUST SHOOT HIM!"

Answer: Because "the Plot"
    I have no problem with suspension of disbelief. It's a show with zombies in it after all. :D I do have a problem with woefully bad plotting and pacing though and TWD has long suffered from this at times, now and in the last season it was most of the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Scott Gimples response for why no one just shot Negan during the speech;
    “What shouldn’t be glossed over is Rick is offering surrender to everyone else. He wants them to, more or less, be on his side after that. If he just shot Negan there, that would have been a shortcut to the war. He was making a play to not be in full violence with these people because you see what happens after that. The next step for everybody is pretty heavy and intense. If in fact Negan’s other lieutenants had given up, it would have been over"

Advertisement