Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brian : Orange Wind Warning Sat 21 -10-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Nothing in Mayo,not a puff of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

At 10am.

431181.jpg

Convective look to the eye

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    (...) Seriously if this nonsense keeps up Met E will lose credibility. (...)

I'd rather be warned and prepared then see another Michael Fish report.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Winds westerly here in South Laois. Top gust so far 49mph (79kmph) and winds averaging 25mph (40kmph). A total of 15.3mm of rain as of 10am this morning on top of the 38.4mm yesterday. Grounds are very wet as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Just back from a lovely autumnal walk on a local hill. No storm here. No rain. Second time in a week that so called storms are meant to batter us. Seriously if this nonsense keeps up Met E will lose credibility. Ophelia.... the worst storm in 50 years? Only three southern counties got gusts over 130kmph... the rest of us got gales or a strong breeze and more hype again about Brian. It's getting silly. I suppose the schools will be closed Monday��

It's a thin line though Fraxinus. 3 people were killed as a result of Monday's storm. If children had been attending school there would have been more traffic on the roads etc. Also a lot of adults stayed at home inside. It's possible, probable in my opinion, that the Ophelia warning saved lives. It's not all about the strength of the gusts. Trees were in leaf and falling through vast swathes of the country where gusts were below 130km per hr.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_dfk4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Just back from a lovely autumnal walk on a local hill. No storm here. No rain. Second time in a week that so called storms are meant to batter us. Seriously if this nonsense keeps up Met E will lose credibility. Ophelia.... the worst storm in 50 years? Only three southern counties got gusts over 130kmph... the rest of us got gales or a strong breeze and more hype again about Brian. It's getting silly. I suppose the schools will be closed Monday��

3 people died kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

North Cork, looks like Brian came and went. Well, Baby Brian - strong winds and rain for a while but nothing at all like Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

has anyone noticed a condesceding tone on british weather reports on this storm? , on radio 4 Thomas Shaferneceker said " Oh the Irish met service have named this one because of some possible effects over there ", Joking over the name Brian.
    I Thought there was an agreement between the British and Irish meTS over alternately naming storms reaching certain criteria.
    a cheap shot form a wannabe -celebrity weather -man who actually isn't very engaging in his forecasts .

pad199207 wrote: »
    Convective look to the eye

There is alright. The early morning sun angle brings out the detail somewhat. Almost tropical looking features in the wraparound cloud structure. Very slight breeze here in Dundalk. Steady rain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Some nice footage of Storm Brian In Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Annani

Lashing rain and wind howling in Dublin.

gozunda wrote: »
    Some nice footage of Storm Brian In Tramore

The ford focus was left there by one of those people who walk around oblivious to news / weather etc. and still manage to function , there's loads of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Nice sunny here in Galway. Rained fairly heavily overnight but seemed to have escaped the worst (or I slept through it) between very early this morning and now.

Might go for a walk even! :)

Nice sunny here in Galway. Rained fairly heavily overnight but seemed to have escaped the worst (or I slept through it) between very early this morning and now.

Might go for a walk even! :)
    ok , but don't be swimming in Salthill, i'll set Teresa Mannion on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

OK so let's issue orange and red alerts every time we get normal autumn and winter gales. Seriously what did we all do before storms were named or colour coded alerts were issued? We hunkered down and showed a bit of common sense without the hysterics. I am retired but I used to work in Lifford. In 38 years at my job I never missed a day due to weather. I drove through violent winds, snowfalls and rainstorms. My children went to school and even if slaters were coming off the roof they stayed there until 3pm.

Yes Cork got a bad doing form Ophelia but 90% of the country didn't. Today it's raining heavy in some parts... it's autumn. It happens very year.

Slates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The wind has picked up here in the last while. And the rain. We've 3.4mm recorded today. It's 11.4C now. And 980.8hPa and rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

OK so let's issue orange and red alerts every time we get normal autumn and winter gales. Seriously what did we all do before storms were named or colour coded alerts were issued? We hunkered down and showed a bit of common sense without the hysterics. I am retired but I used to work in Lifford. In 38 years at my job I never missed a day due to weather. I drove through violent winds, snowfalls and rainstorms. My children went to school and even if slaters were coming off the roof they stayed there until 3pm.

Yes Cork got a bad doing form Ophelia but 90% of the country didn't. Today it's raining heavy in some parts... it's autumn. It happens very year.

Give it a rest FFS, why are you so contrary and confrontational?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dun Laoghaire wind has changed from southerly to westerly in the past hour, with a marked increase in speed.

37828917451_e2ca4cb208.jpg

Three live video webcams here

http://www.dlhweather.com/dun-laoghaire-harbour-web-cams/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I don't remember having so many storms in the 80's or 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Your medal is in the post.....
    With the amount of tree's that fell and the lack of cars on the road ...lives were definitely saved. I went to work on Monday up to about 2 o'clock. Driving home it was like driving on Christmas day and that fact my friend definitely saved lives. You are probably 5 to 10 years senior to me, when I was a kid traffic volumes were minuscule compared to now, where i lived , 3 cars on the road, now it's 3 cars per house.

Heading into the Irish sea. Noticeable 'comma' effect evident. Breeze has picked up here in Dundalk in the last 20 mins or so.

431191.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

aidanodr wrote: »
    Its all relative and depends on where you live surely?

I live near Cork City .. OPHELIA in my view totally merited a RED ALERT here. In fact I was extremely angry at business and business organisations ( by absence of informing / advising ) for not getting out message last weekend for ALL businesses in RED AREAS to not open monday morning. I mean, it was ONE DAY only and not going to be a regular event. Show duty of care to your employees.

All along the South Coast and definitely in Cork you would not have been out on your lovely autumnal walk last Monday. Just because your area is not affected does not mean its the same across the country.

AND .. on Thursday here in Cork we had serious rain and flooding, roads like rivers. BUT this, even in an area, was localized. In this case more west / south west outside the city, areas like Carrigaline, Kinsale etc.

Outside of whether Brian merits an Orange or not. It has / is dumping lots of rain down here which has big possibility of further tree falls or property damage already weakened by Ophelia. But then you may not notice this on your lovely autumnal walk where ever you may live ...

EDIT: As far as I remember, last Friday, Saturday something like 8 or 9 coastal counties were RED before whole country went red. Thats as far as it should have gone with the red maybe? Rest of country then amber/orange or yellow? However, on the other hand, on the day, who could tell how bad or not this storm would get?

BUT I still stand by my point that once an area is RED then everyone stays at home INC employees, so at minimum it keeps roads clear and does not overwhelm the emergency services if something were to happen as a result. Some directive needs to be brought in on that one I think.

I have to say that at least you will argue the point rationally instead of spouting the bodycount number and telling people how irresponsible and uncaring they are.

IMHO, there is no way Storm Brian merits an Orange in Galway. It will be counterproductive because people will ignore future warnings.

I also think that emergency services should be instructed to ignore people that get into trouble when wilfully putting themselves in danger (e.g. Blackrock diving board). But at the same time, if people want to do crazy things, let them off. It's called personal responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

To be fair Waterford, Wexford and Cork took a hammering but I agree with your sentiment. We've gone awful soft.
    We will get crucified for having a different opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

To be fair Waterford, Wexford and Cork took a hammering but I agree with your sentiment. We've gone awful soft.
    We will get crucified for having a different opinion though.

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyway, there's a whole thread over here about debating the Met Eireann response to Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very wild in Galway now with wind from North West

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Gone very wild in Galway now with wind from North West
    Yep, 56 knots at Mace Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fairly windy here on the Mayo coast with squally showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

My Tuppence from the west cork coast. This is worse than orphelia, wind is lethal, real heavy rain. More damage is being done around here from what I can see. No electricity either

Advertisement