Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

TallGlass wrote: »
    Seems to be a Ryanair flight in holding FR3979 also.

Seems to have aborted a landing just there. Wouldn't like to be on that flight. Seems to have drop to about 600ft then swiftly lift back to 1500 and up quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Actually looks like another Ryanair flight has diverted to Limerick. FR9998

I'd hope not, wouldn't have much fun landing in coonagh!

In total, 12 diversions today, all bad 1 from Dublin. Have a list in the Flightradar thread in Aviation and Aircraft.

Seems to have aborted a landing just there. Wouldn't like to be on that flight. Seems to have drop to about 600ft then swiftly lift back to 1500 and up quite quickly.

Either they are off to Belfast or its going for another shot at landing now !

Either they are off to Belfast or its going for another shot at landing now !

Standard missed approach procedure, no indication of what they wish to do. Not sure this is the right place for this discussion though!

unkel wrote: »
    It's crazy to even attempt to land a plane with wind gusts near force 11. Why are they doing this? The rest of the country is much calmer now, but not Dublin.

Why exactly? All these aircraft have specific crosswind limitations, when these are not reached (assuming no other prohibiting factors)) why wouldn't they commence an approach?

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not sure this is the right place for this discussion though!

I think your right on that one!

Last one. FR3979 off to Belfast by the looks of things.

Edit: Nope. Back to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Flight from Faro to Dublin diverted to Shannon airport. First attempt to land there was wind shear second attempt wind too strong to be allowed land. Plane is now in Q to be refuelled before attempting to land back in Dublin. #Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Have been up working late tonight from home. Am in Dublin 3 and it actually wasn't too bad all things considered today but despite the news it's quite rough out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Sustained winds / gusts bending trees etc around house a lot more than earlier on in the day... Surprised it's so active out this late on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

bending shag all in kiliney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why exactly? All these aircraft have specific crosswind limitations, when these are not reached (assuming no other prohibiting factors)) why wouldn't they commence an approach?

I don't think crosswinds were an issue this evening

But would it not be a problem with winds varying from 0 to over 100km/h gusts within instants even coming from one direction, say the south west?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anybody know if Harold's Cross still has power? Nothing on ESB, but my garage CCTV is dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

We got a decent hit here in the countryside outside Limerick, most rural areas here without power since either the morning or 1400 for us.

Ay one stage I thought some of our windows were in danger of being broken, loud bangs from branches hitting the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

jjdub wrote: »
    For those saying Dublin got none of this, there must be very localised weather about today. 5 floors up west of city we've been battered by sustained high winds for about 6 hours now, wind changed from S and calmed slightly now Westerly and have picked up again. There was lots of flying debris admittedly small. We're more protected with this direction but it's by no means calm.. 50 kts gust at airport for another few hours

Same as yourself. Dublin 15 here, third floor, we were buffeted for ten hours with maybe a two hour lull in the middle yesterday. We're quite exposed where we are, I think. I could see how tight, inner suburbs might not be so affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

People complaining it wasn’t stormy enough- 3 people died! More would have done if the cancellations weren’t in place

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

We seem to have escaped lightly enough in Longford. I heard of a few trees down on our part of the N4 and some minor roads but no real damage done. Electricity was out in our part for a few hrs but returned around bedtime thankfully and fair play to repair crews for their prompt action there on such a night. Some parts had none or little outage.
    Great morning here now and looking round all seems ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well, I can safely say Ophelia was scary as **** where I was. It went from early afternoon until I fell asleep around midnight with seemingly no noticeable leg up.

I'm glad people in some parts of the country escaped relatively but they should be in no doubt about the impact that other parts suffered.

Now to pray this one at the weekend does not materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

snowflaker wrote: »
    People complaining it wasn’t stormy enough- 3 people died! More would have done if the cancellations weren’t in place
    Well RTE asked Naughton this morning could more have been done to prevent the ESB outages. Not sure what she was wanting to have been done - take out all the trees that may take out a wire? Sure take out a few more just in case they lose a branch that causes flying debris?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Really makes you think what other parts of the world have to deal with. imagine a cat 3/4 coming at you.. I've a few businesses and it was very difficult and stressful dealing with it. 30 odd staff to take care of and be responsible for. Have to be honest was felling the pressure making the call as when to close. Not as easy as people think to just say close up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Really makes you think what other parts of the world have to deal with. imagine a cat 3/4 coming at you.. I've a few businesses and it was very difficult and stressful dealing with it. 30 odd staff to take care of and be responsible for. Have to be honest was felling the pressure making the call as when to close. Not as easy as people think to just say close up..

I was thinking that yesterday. A true Cat 3/4 hurricane must be out of this world.

• Advertisement

Some stats from yesterday

https://www.joe.ie/news/weather-ophelia-worst-areas-603943

It's clear that Munster got hit very hard but north of the Galway-Dublin line were relatively calmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

The level of vitriol here if you suggest the storm was anything other than catastrophic is phenomenal.

The weather enthusiastists here over hyped it and in order to save face are now trying to claim it was the most destructive storm to hit in more than half a century, which of course is ludicrous.

I'm very glad it turned out to be a damp squib and I don't hold it against Met eireann for erring on the side of caution but thankfully it was a very minor storm for the vast majority of the country.

And before anyone asks... yes I am aware that three people lost their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The level of vitriol here if you suggest the storm was anything other than catastrophic is phenomenal.

The weather enthusiastists here over hyped it and in order to save face are now trying to claim it was the most destructive storm to hit in more than half a century, which of course is ludicrous.

I'm very glad it turned out to be a damp squib and I don't hold it against Met eireann for erring on the side of caution but thankfully it was a very minor storm for the vast majority of the country.

And before anyone ask... yes I am aware that three people lost their lives.

I think you are taking through your rear

Crucify this man!

;)

You are right of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Really subtle trolling. No one will notice what you are up to. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Damp squid,tell that to my neighbour who has lost most of the roofs off his sheds,not to mention the loss of life,pathetic post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think you're looking through rose tinted glasses. It didn't hit Dublin as hard as I was told, which delighted me. I don't fancy losing power and having to clear debris from my house.

However, how can you argue with the level of destruction that is clearly evident throughout the rest of the country, specifically in Kerry and Cork.

You only need to look at Cork's Centre Park Road to understand how violent this wind was.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Corks-Centre-Park-Road-devastated-by-17-fallen-trees-666f5cba-2e27-4fc4-b5ea-64ddde53f029-ds

300,000 people without power, 20,000 people without water.

Yes...just a drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Rega

People are losing the run of themselves. It's not the end of the world. It'll just be windy and wet on Monday and if you're not by the sea you'll be fine.

You had your narrative laid out well in advance. Move along, troll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Go ahead. Launch vitriol at me and call me a troll for staying the obvious. This was NOT the most destructive storm in half a century. Not even close. Not even in the last decade.

That's all I'm saying. But yeah. Call me a troll for not sticking with the cosy consensus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement