Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

John.Icy wrote: »
    Well I'm fairly sure 53 knots recorded recently is Dublin airports max of the whole event, not by much but it confirms it's as windy as earlier, just not by as much as some believe in terms of absolute strength (peak gust).

Max for Dublin Airport was 56kts earlier, however the airport did report 55kts around 20mins ago.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just looking at the Gatwick flight trying to land at Dublin. Been in the air 2hrs23mins and it's only an hour and a bit flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Trebor176

North side? Brother is North of the tracks and has had no outages. Just south of the rail station, no lights to be seen on my horizon

I'm very close to the village. There has been little or no disruption of note here in general today. Well, nothing that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just looking at the Gatwick flight trying to land at Dublin. Been in the air 2hrs23mins and it's only an hour and a bit flight.

With the wind I at the moment, I can't see them landing for a while, or maybe in Dublin at all tonight.

Its at least as loud and strong as anything today. Whole apartment is shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Hence the need for a healthy reserve! Those passengers now face a 3hr bus journey back to Dub... if buses can be found!

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    With the wind I at the moment, I can't see them landing for a while, or maybe in Dublin at all tonight.

Its at least as loud and strong as anything today. Whole apartment is shaking.

Looks like it's headed towards Cork now.

I can still hear planes moving around up there. It's definitely stronger and more sustained here than it was at any point during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭thomasj

I see the red warning is gone from met eireann website.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sounds like its dying off a bit now (drumcondra). Still the odd heavy gust, but less frequent.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Does flightradar glitch? Ryr73w shown as static in barley harbour South of Shannon after missed approach in dub and diversion to snn.

https://www.radarbox24.com/flight/FR7033

Better site. have to refresh every 10 mins but it shown military flights as well.

rebel456 wrote: »
    Hence the need for a healthy reserve! Those passengers now face a 3hr bus journey back to Dub... if buses can be found!

If it was me I'd throw myself on the ground wherever I landed and wouldn't move for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

thomasj wrote: »
    I see the red warning is gone from met eireann website.

It's still there for me :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

John.Icy wrote: »
    Well I'm fairly sure 53 knots recorded recently is Dublin airports max of the whole event, not by much but it confirms it's as windy as earlier, just not by as much as some believe in terms of absolute strength (peak gust).

Again - more sustained, different wind direction, nighttime effect etc all add up to make it seems "much" worse than earlier, a little worse technically speaking.

For instance my house, the wind is blowing directly into the front of the house atm, and hundreds of houses in Dublin face the same way, so it's felt intense where as earlier it was blowing all over the place but rarely right into the house front.

I really know little about the technical stuff tbh. I agree though that perception is very valid. I am though in a hmmmm 1am warnings reduce - its rough enough here still, more than earlier maybe, that I still wouldnt want to be out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

prinzeugen wrote: »
    https://www.radarbox24.com/flight/FR7033

Better site. have to refresh every 10 mins but it shown military flights as well.

Ah right, I was flight radar was giving the impression it had been then diverted again on to Cork. Looks like it got down in Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's still there for me :confused:.

Ok, now it's gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still extremely gusty here, windows still rattling and roof creaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Calming down south Dublin compared to an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Power went here a little under an hour ago - just outside Kilcock in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Ardent wrote: »
    Power went here a little under an hour ago - just outside Kilcock in North Kildare.

Same about 2 hours ago in Sallins. Gone for less than 5 mins. I’m thinking that was just the esb doing something in the process of fixing some other area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

EI565 looked to have attempted to land in Dublin, now heading to cork

Barcelona flight seems to have be heading to Cork now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Slightly disappointed my location seemed barely extraordinary from a personal viewpoint. Obviously I'm glad I/everyone was safe etc., but can't help but feel a little hard done by :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Still so windy here in blanchardstown. More consistently windy than it was at any other point today. It was scary driving through the village

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wind keeps increasing here in Dublin. Dublin airport now windiest in the country with 55kts (102km/h). That's just shy of wind force 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Seems to be a Ryanair flight in holding FR3979 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

TallGlass wrote: »
    Seems to be a Ryanair flight in holding FR3979 also.

Actually looks like another Ryanair flight has diverted to Limerick. FR9998

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's crazy to even attempt to land a plane with wind gusts near force 11. Why are they doing this? The rest of the country is much calmer now, but not Dublin.

What are the chances of my flight leaving Dublin at 6.30am? No info online. I'm a bit scared to drive to the airport to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I also see a Mallorca flight heading to Shannon. FR9998. It’s been in the air an hour longer than the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Flying Fox wrote: »
    What are the chances of my flight leaving Dublin at 6.30am? No info online. I'm a bit scared to drive to the airport to be honest

Should be ok by 06:30 I'd imagine. But this has hit Dublin much later than predicted. Earlier I was thinking we'd dodged it, but the last 3-4 hours has been rough (I'm in Dublin 8 and it's still blowing a storm, though not at the level of what they experienced in the South and West coasts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No weather issues at any Irish airports tomorrow.

Advertisement