Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It depends where you live. In my case Darwin was worst. I got some damage on farm buildings. Some big trees on my land down and an overnight power outage. I live in Limerick where nearby Shannon recorded the top gust of the storm.

Yeah but Darwin cleared those trees. if Darwin had never happened you'd probably have lost them today. And you'd likely have longer power outages because the trees that caused the outage in 2014 would have caused them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

It is the worst its been here just beside the Dundalk South exit of the M1. Gusts that would knock you off yer feet. We are sheltered enough here but trees taking a bashing and id be surprised if there isnt more trees down in the Heynestown (Louth) area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

My 6yr old Daughter said this to me today

"Daddy its Windying again".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Steve wrote: »
    Fair enough, I'll give you that, seems more sustained at the mo.

Maybe it's just more apparent because it's night time. Dunno.

Ear perception is huge tbh and most people don't realise. Used to post frequently about it years ago on here. There was a night of an easterly gale, being in the East it sounded like there was a freight train in the sky, constant whistling and deafening gusts. Max was around 95km/h IIRC, wind directions can play tricks on you but I'd agree it's more sustained.

People have been claiming for the last hour or two that it's worse in Dublin etc than earlier but no real technical measurements backing it up, YET anyway the midnight reports could show it.

It definitely sounds more sustained out there and IS as strong as earlier alright though. This afternoon while some gusts were big, there was huge lulls where it was weirdly calm, probably the biggest disparity between now and then is the lack of these calm spots- finally have the continuous howl most storms have.

Midnight reports will be interesting - I imagine Dublin airport will be a knot or two higher gust wise than earlier alright but no massive actual difference id imagine.

Still. 50 knots with trees in full leaf will = lots of trees down likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Does feel as strong or stronger here in Donabate but putting that down to change in wind direction & the fact nighttime/lying in bed always seems to enhance wind noises

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Its much more difficult to land in strong winds I think - when taking off the winds might actually help you into the air !

I'm wondering now if they were actually taking off or aborted landing attempts. They're coming out behind the house the way they do normally anyway. Either way I wouldn't want to be in one of them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭piplip87

Serious gusts here in Cavan. started getting worse about 8 o Clock but in the last hour seems much stronger than earlier.

Completely validates school closures tomorrow as I say country lanes are well blocked from the last hour or two.

Thank god most ESB cables are under ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

theres about 11 planes up in the air at the minute having trouble landing. can see them flying in circles out above the irish sea from the garden. since iv noticed theres been at least 4 aborted landings at dublin airport

https://www.flightradar24.com/RYR49WY/f3aae37

say theres plenty of soiled underwear on those flight :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

highdef wrote: »
    sustained or gust?

If you had clicked on my linky, you would know it was gust ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

pauldry wrote: »
    My 6yr old Daughter said this to me today

"Daddy its Windying again".

I hope you shook your head and corrected her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

In letterkenny today and it didn't feel overly stormy at all, just a bit windy like any other windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Steopo wrote: »
    Does feel as strong or stronger here in Donabate but putting that down to change in wind direction & the fact nighttime/lying in bed always seems to enhance wind noises

My trees are taking a serious pounding and for the first time all day the windows are shaking. I am about 10km north of you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

evosteo wrote: »
    theres about 11 planes up in the air at the minute having trouble landing. can see them flying in circles out above the irish sea from the garden. since iv noticed theres been at least 4 aborted landings at dublin airport

https://www.flightradar24.com/RYR49WY/f3aae37

say theres plenty of soiled underwear on those flight :eek:

I was wondering why I was hearing so many planes overhead here in the past couple of hours. It's the go-arounds heading back to the Irish Sea after attempted landings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

huggy15 wrote: »
    In letterkenny today and it didn't feel overly stormy at all, just a bit windy like any other windy day.

Went out to my shed earlier (live in Dublin) , felt it shake a bit, opened the door and was in letterkenny... I guess the wind ran out there... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Unquestionably noisier here in South Dublin than it was at any time before 10pm.

Whether or not it's stronger is not something I can determine, but the wind is hitting the building in a manner that's making an awful racket, and there is a horrendous whistling sound I hadn't heard before this.

Bit concerned, actually, and hope it stops soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Steve wrote: »
    Went out to my shed earlier (live in Dublin) , felt it shake a bit, opened the door and was in letterkenny... I guess the wind ran out there... :D

I feel there's a good joke in here somewhere, I just can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Dublin Airport report for 00:00 saying 53knts (100kph) think it got higher earlier but Dublin definitely reporting the strongest winds in the country at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ear perception is huge tbh and most people don't realise. Used to post frequently about it years ago on here. There was a night of an easterly gale, being in the East it sounded like there was a freight train in the sky, constant whistling and deafening gusts. Max was around 95km/h IIRC, wind directions can play tricks on you but I'd agree it's more sustained.

People have been claiming for the last hour or two that it's worse in Dublin etc than earlier but no real technical measurements backing it up, YET anyway the midnight reports could show it.

It definitely sounds more sustained out there and IS as strong as earlier alright though. This afternoon while some gusts were big, there was huge lulls where it was weirdly calm, probably the biggest disparity between now and then is the lack of these calm spots- finally have the continuous howl most storms have.

Midnight reports will be interesting - I imagine Dublin airport will be a knot or two higher gust wise than earlier alright but no massive actual difference id imagine.

Still. 50 knots with trees in full leaf will = lots of trees down likely.

Very true! But tbh I was a bit underwhelmed all day. Did the right things by staying in etc. Took a quick walk in to a back field and even the gusts were nothing much more than a winter storm minus the rain. Just now its is blowing stuff about that hadnt earlier and leaning in to the breeze so much so that I aint taking a look out back again. Not that i disagree with the figures at all that im sure are available. But it is gusting bad still enough here not to think 'grand lets tip out for milk' etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

nocoverart wrote: »

Wizard of Oz? shed got sucked up and landed in Letterkenny.. am I right?

A small bit windy here at the minute, but nothing that we don't see every couple of months in Donegal. This was not the worst weather I have experienced here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

nocoverart wrote: »

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a dog named Toto.. that would have sealed it. :D

Stuff I tied down in the back garden is holding fast but for sure it's gusting more than it was earlier. Surprised the fence panels haven't joined the holding pattern for EIDW.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bad gusts here again. Power gone for the 2nd time in Clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wind field so large from Ophelia that there is three or 4 isobars either side of the low centre with strong winds.

Mostly when these systems pass theres one or two

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm in Fairview and wind seems stronger than at any time earlier today. Windows and doors shaking more than earlier and can hear the wind howling outside. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Bad gusts here again. Power gone for the 2nd time in Clondalkin

Power has been grand for me in Clondalkin all day. It is extremely windy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭snor

Really bad here in S Dubli also. Definitely seems much worse than any time earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Does flightradar glitch? Ryr73w shown as static in barley harbour South of Shannon after missed approach in dub and diversion to snn.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Power has been grand for me in Clondalkin all day. It is extremely windy now!

North side? Brother is North of the tracks and has had no outages. Just south of the rail station, no lights to be seen on my horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Unquestionably noisier here in South Dublin than it was at any time before 10pm.

Whether or not it's stronger is not something I can determine, but the wind is hitting the building in a manner that's making an awful racket, and there is a horrendous whistling sound I hadn't heard before this.

Bit concerned, actually, and hope it stops soon!

Same. Battering my house in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Very true! But tbh I was a bit underwhelmed all day. Did the right things by staying in etc. Took a quick walk in to a back field and even the gusts were nothing much more than a winter storm minus the rain. Just now its is blowing stuff about that hadnt earlier and leaning in to the breeze so much so that I aint taking a look out back again. Not that i disagree with the figures at all that im sure are available. But it is gusting bad still enough here not to think 'grand lets tip out for milk' etc etc

Well I'm fairly sure 53 knots recorded recently is Dublin airports max of the whole event, not by much but it confirms it's as windy as earlier, just not by as much as some believe in terms of absolute strength (peak gust).

Again - more sustained, different wind direction, nighttime effect etc all add up to make it seems "much" worse than earlier, a little worse technically speaking.

For instance my house, the wind is blowing directly into the front of the house atm, and hundreds of houses in Dublin face the same way, so it's felt intense where as earlier it was blowing all over the place but rarely right into the house front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wind is picking up further in Dublin. Casement windiest in the country all evening, now 53kts (over 98km/h).

Advertisement