Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 1x04 – "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry" [** SPOILERS **]

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Haven't read this thread so this might have been mentioned already but the entire war effort is reliant on one mine. Best not defend it at all I suppose. Seriously?

Haven't read this thread so this might have been mentioned already but the entire war effort is reliant on one mine. Best not defend it at all I suppose. Seriously?

It was defended bit an ambush attack took out those ships

It was defended bit an ambush attack took out those ships

It's probably one of the most important facilities in the context of the ability to wage war or even travel in space. It should be defended by orditial platforms, a star base and an entire battle group.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's probably one of the most important facilities in the context of the ability to wage war or even travel in space. It should be defended by orditial platforms, a star base and an entire battle group.

Also the Klingons should have sent a huge back up once they nearly had it..

I can't help but feel that they either messed up the numbers or they really underplayed its defence. Must rewatch it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think I'm a bit out of the loop in whatever is going on with the klingons. What was the story with yer wan getting all doe eyed and meek at albino dude when they were scavenging for dilithium? Surely that's pure anti klingon?
    What happened to the days of 2 warrior hearts beating together :D
    I have to admit I find the subtitles grating and the klingon scenes super slow as well. I don't mind subtitling in general, maybe it's just the scenes seem slow in themselves already not helping.
    Felt sorry for the alien puppy :( I hope michael finds a better way than torturing it
    The scene with Landry was a bit insane. I know she's trying to keep michael on track and in theory the plan wasn't a bad one but it was a bit rushed from someone who's supposed to be head of security

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think I'm a bit out of the loop in whatever is going on with the klingons. What was the story with yer wan getting all doe eyed and meek at albino dude when they were scavenging for dilithium? Surely that's pure anti klingon?
    What happened to the days of 2 warrior hearts beating together :D
    I have to admit I find the subtitles grating and the klingon scenes super slow as well. I don't mind subtitling in general, maybe it's just the scenes seem slow in themselves already not helping.
    Felt sorry for the alien puppy :( I hope michael finds a better way than torturing it

Yeah the Kilgon's need to speak quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'm hoping there's some sort of method to their madness . Their intention with the new look and having them talk Klingon was to give them a sense of 'other' , something that had been lost after 20+ seasons of trek. There's not meant to have been much interaction in the 100 years between Ent and Discovery so culturelly they are still relatively pure , the english will likely begin to bleed into things the more they interact with the federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Pros:

Burnham is coming into her own and becoming someone you can really root for— the scene at the end with Georgiou was a proper tear-jerker. Lorca continues to be perfectly ominous. A questionable full-on-cast-member Captain is kind of a new ground for a Trek show, but so far it's working better than I thought it would. Stamets is great! More of him. Ditto Saru. I'd like to see some interaction between Burnham and bridge girl with the shaved head and cybernetic implants from the Shenzhou, too, though.

I like how they've integrated the "realities" of the limits of the tech (flip-to-use communicators etc.) without making the show look dated, and the effects have been mostly good. They focused too much on the action in the early episodes, but they've settled into building up character and tone now, which I'm enjoying. I think we can already see why the new propulsion system isn't going to work— it requires the injury of a semi-sentient being. (Although the Fed would scrap it on those grounds, many other species wouldn't, so it's still something that should have showed up in the future? Maybe they'll all go extinct; who knows. I'm interested to find out, though.)

Cons:

The Klingons. Tilly. Any time either are on the screen, my attention wanders for the sake of my own sanity. I don't care about the Klingons' romantic dramas, and Tilly's blabbering is unbearably tedious. The shorter season means the plotting will be tighter, so there will be fewer chances for character-driven plot-ignoring eps (which IMO were some of the best in the older series), and you can feel that already. It still doesn't have that warm, Trek-y feeling for me, but it's maybe getting there.

Advertisement