Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 216

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

myshirt wrote: »
    Forever the optimist.

Can't be safe. Cutting techniques have turned unreal. Why can't these guys find the weight they are healthiest at and fight in around that. Rehydrating 25 pounds or short of 20% of your fighting weight is insane.

I agree, the weight cutting practices in MMA are insane, but MMA inherited them from american collegiate wrestling in the 90's. Sodium and water loading, sweat suits, saunas, all of the above. The fact that so few MMA fighters have died is actually incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

**** diaz part 3 it can wait. Let tony fight mcgregor next its the fight that has to happen. I think tonys cardio will cause mcgregor all sorts of problems but i can see mcgregor finishing it early if he lands flush. If not then tony finishes conor late on

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

ricero wrote: »
    **** diaz part 3 it can wait. Let tony fight mcgregor next its the fight that has to happen. I think tonys cardio will cause mcgregor all sorts of problems but i can see mcgregor finishing it early if he lands flush. If not then tony finishes conor late on
    I personally think Conor Vs Tony is the best fight for Conor.

If he loses, he still has a big draw fight vs. Diaz.

If he loses to Diaz, he can't unify the belt and loses a fair bit of momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Tony is a beast. Fair play to him great win tonight. Hope the loss doesn't affect Lee too much. He's still young enough to have his prime years ahead of him and is an obvious talent.

I think Tony is just the best LW atm. I think he would have him favourite over Khabib or Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Diaz Ferguson would be epic in itself forgetting Conor.

https://twitter.com/danhardymma/status/916888627380137991

I could see this, the belt means nothing to McGregor compared to money, for the trilogy theres no belt needed he can retire two weight champ then in his own mind.

Gamebred wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/danhardymma/status/916888627380137991

I could see this, the belt means nothing to McGregor compared to money, for the trilogy theres no belt needed he can retire two weight champ then in his own mind.

The Diaz fight will be a title defence.

Title defense against Diaz? When was Diazs last win at LW? 2015 :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It would be a complete and utter joke

• Advertisement

The Diaz fight will be a title defence.

Its the UFC so anything is possible but Nate aint skipping over Ferguson here it will turn the UFC from circus into running comedy show if they even try it.

It would be a complete and utter joke

Diaz is a joke tbh, he is following Conor around like a lost puppy hoping Conor will give him another fight.

Dan Henderson was as old as Moses and outside the top 10 and got a title shot.

GSP has been making terrible Van Damme movies eating poutine for 4 years, has never fought at 185 and he's getting title shot.

Conor never fought at 155 and got a title shot.

The UFC was never he most strict in terms of making the fights people had earned, but any semblance of that has long been gone, in the WME-IMG era especially the only thing that matters is what's the most WWE like storeline they can sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

There's no money in fighting Ferguson. Tonight's ppv will be lucky to clear 150k buys. Nobody knows who Ferguson is. His call out was pathetic. Mcnuggets lol. A Kevin lee win actually might have spun a lot of cash due to lees personality and been a handy win for Conor.

Diaz is a joke tbh, he is following Conor around like a lost puppy hoping Conor will give him another fight.

No, he's a man who made $20 million from 2 fights after being treated like **** by the company for 10 years and isn't stupid enough to bend over and take Dana's crap anymore, and why should he?

The last time the UFC needed Nate to dig them out of a hole he made Dana fly to Stockton and let him slap him in the face on camera, you think he's not going to ask for more this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor v Tony, early 2018.
    Conor Wins. His next fight is at UFC 226, fight week in Vegas.
    Who do you pick?

There's only 2 or 3 possibilities. One if them is Nate Diaz.

There's no money in fighting Ferguson. Tonight's ppv will be lucky to clear 150k buys. Nobody knows who Ferguson is. His call out was pathetic. Mcnuggets lol. A Kevin lee win actually might have spun a lot of cash due to lees personality and been a handy win for Conor.

No money? Conor could wail on a heavy bag and it'll break 1m ppvs. The level to which the general public know Ferguson while not irrelevant shouldn't play a huge part in Conor's next opponent. Tony has an 11 fight win streak in the most talent stacked divison in the UFC. Not to mention now an interim title. He is clearly the next guy Conor should be fighting. He has no excuse if he doesn't. March 17th 2018 seems the perfect option for both, it's the fight to make

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Ah Kevin is taking this very badly, saying he's 185 now and suggesting he's considering moving up a weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Thats ridiculous! Im a mcgregor fan but ferguson has really grown on me the last 2 years - I'd love to see the fight! Lots of neutrals know ferguson now after the khabib debacle, he is a better draw than anyone apart from nate - but close id suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Gamebred wrote: »
    Lee will gas hard from the cut and get strangled in rd 3.

Nailed it. Laziness/tiredness gets caught in a triangle. It's the head and arm throw of men's MMA.

• Advertisement

Tony Ferguson can't strike at all. He beats McGregor by getting him down early. But I guess it looks very similar to Alvarez. Guy who thinks he can strike (who gets his legs wobbled a lot) loses his game plan after 30 seconds.

I'll add, Max Holloway beats the **** out of Ferguson. If we see McGregor /Diaz 3 and Holloway beats Frankie as he should. Call out Ferg and finish him! It sets up the perfect Holloway/McGregor rematch

Working backwards through the card. DJ with a slick mother****ing sub. Channelling (is that a word?) WEC!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    I agree that will be the outcome. But that shouldn't be a factor in whether or not he gets to try.
    Longest streak in the division, a string of top guys defeated. He's the clear contender, with an interim strap.
    If they don't make that fight it will be unbearable to listen to the whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

darced wrote:

Yeah I agree, Tony is a beast, but he keeps his chin way too much out there, that he is perfect for Conor.
    Really really hope Diaz 3 doesn't happen. Mcg has that puzzle solved now and will out point him again

darced wrote: »

Thing is Conor has to get him out in two I reckon. Tony has the cardio to go full pelt for 25 mins so unless he gets him early (very possible, Tony is very hittable) and the inevitable McGregor slump comes, it could be a very long night for Conor.

It's this reason why I think Conor v Justin Gaethje is a fascinating fight. Gaethje with the relentless forward pressure and iron chin but so hittable its not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

like some have said here if conor can't get tony out of there in two it'll be a one sided beating after that and probably another sub win for tony.

I'd hate to see something like diaz ferguson, tony would made mincement out of nate.

god I hope conor gives tony a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Tbh, if Diaz 3 happens I can see nothing but another Conor win. He's been out of the octagon way too long and looks to have gained a load of weight - I can't see him having the motivation to put in another great performance against Conor. The added ring rust will play a huge factor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man Lee gave Tony a tough fight there. I thought Tony should have put him away sooner with how bolloxed Kevin was. I think Conor wrecks Tony inside 2, he will avoid the guard like he did against Nate but saying that, Tony is so dangerous on the ground, there's always a chance he catches something.

Hands down, be is the fight to make against Conor and Dana said Conor wants to fight again before year end, would be class.

Wow DJ, that takedown to armbar was ****ing beautiful, I'm definitely going to try that next week :D

• Advertisement

I thought Lee vs Ferguson was a very sloppy fight.

Advertisement