Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 Mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Eire 32
    Commodore 64!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Mr E wrote: »
    Had a good go at the mini today. Sorry but I can't look past the joystick. It's horrible. I had some lovely responsive microswitch joysticks back in the day. I associate leaf switch joysticks with those big quick shot pros.

What are my alternatives for a joypad that won't drive me bananas? I have a wired 360 pad and a generic USB pad at home. Would they work?

The cheetah and the zipstick pro had lovely microswitches.

Not sure how I feel about the 64mini to be honest. It's just an emulsion board with a fake keyboard case attached.

I used to own the C64 and 64 DTV. The mini just seems to be the same as the DTV, just with more games. They could have just stuck the PCB board into the joystick and not bothered with the case.

Hell, retropie does it better, although most people use unlicensed ROMs for retropie so there's the legal downside.

That said, I admire anything that gets people playing 8-but games again, some games should not be forgotten.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

r3nu4l wrote: »
    The cheetah and the zipstick pro had lovely microswitches.

Not sure how I feel about the 64mini to be honest. It's just an emulsion board with a fake keyboard case attached.

I used to own the C64 and 64 DTV. The mini just seems to be the same as the DTV, just with more games. They could have just stuck the PCB board into the joystick and not bothered with the case.

Hell, retropie does it better, although most people use unlicensed ROMs for retropie so there's the legal downside.

That said, I admire anything that gets people playing 8-but games again, some games should not be forgotten.

That's kind of the whole point of this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's kind of the whole point of this forum!

My point is that this machine doesn't do the Commodore 64 justice at all and the 64 DTV format was just as good... (Game selection aside).

The mini is a small PCB stuck inside a non functioning keyboard case that was added only for aesthetics and is a waste of plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

r3nu4l wrote: »
    My point is that this machine doesn't do the Commodore 64 justice at all and the 64 DTV format was just as good... (Game selection aside).

The mini is a small PCB stuck inside a non functioning keyboard case that was added only for aesthetics and is a waste of plastic.

I don't think he was disagreeing with you, just pointing out the the whole point of this forum is to not forget games! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In truth a bit of hacking and you'd probably convert a C64DTV into a RPi0 powered C64, with a great menu system and easy support for any controller or keyboard you could wish for.
    But the people this device is marketed towards aren't the enthusiasts, who would prefer an actual C64 and the SD drive, but rather those recapturing a certain time and place, when they were playing IK+ with their mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just in case you didn't know, there is a Zzap! 64 Annual coming out later this year (hopefully). A kickstarter is launching on Friday.

Some of the writers from the good old days are back on board to write some content, like Julian Rignall, Paul Rand and Robin Hogg. Oli Frey is doing the artwork.

Facebook Group for the project: https://www.facebook.com/groups/370835800027675/

Just in case you didn't know, there is a Zzap! 64 Annual coming out later this year (hopefully). A kickstarter is launching on Friday.

Some of the writers from the good old days are back on board to write some content, like Julian Rignall, Paul Rand and Robin Hogg. Oli Frey is doing the artwork.

Facebook Group for the project: https://www.facebook.com/groups/370835800027675/

Got my name in Zzap for the top score in the c64 version of Strider. 23,500 I think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think when i look back on it the c64 was the time in my life i played the most games,

Flimbos quest, turrican 1&2, microsoft soccer, dizzy, tracksuit manager, all the outruns, creatures, rambo etc etc etc:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

They did a very good job on the Crash Annual last year, so I'd definitely back this if I had any kind of nostalgia for the c64.

Fortunately for me they're doing a Crash Annual again this year.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

They did a very good job on the Crash Annual last year, so I'd definitely back this if I had any kind of nostalgia for the c64.

Fortunately for me they're doing a Crash Annual again this year.

Crash is where the kool kidz be at, Zzap is just so full of losers.

Bit of tumbleweed in here for the last 3 weeks.

I only turned on my C64 mini once, hated the joystick and put it back in the box. :)
    I've ordered compatible joypads, plus a HDMI audio splitter for my monitor from Amazon so I will try again next week.

In the meantime, firmware 1.0.8 came out today.
    Version 1.0.8 – Changes

– Includes firmware optimisations and improvements to THEC64 input response times

Coming Soon!

Planned Changes for upcoming firmware includes:

– Choose from a selection of disks on a USB memory stick
    – Allow multi-disk files/games to be easily accessed and switched between
    – Other update features to be confirmed ASAP!

https://thec64.com/upgrade/

Still haven't taken mine out of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Bit of tumbleweed in here for the last 3 weeks.

I only turned on my C64 mini once, hated the joystick and put it back in the box. :)
    I've ordered compatible joypads, plus a HDMI audio splitter for my monitor from Amazon so I will try again next week.

In the meantime, firmware 1.0.8 came out today.

I would be interested to know if those joy pads work, please update when you get them

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Still haven't taken mine out of the box

Same as you bud, still in the box, when the next firmware is released, I will try it out -> Playing games from a USB memory stick :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

i bought some ps1/2 to usb adaptors and they work kind of...
    I think there is a bit of lag though ( I am still on the original firmware though)

The mappings are a bit all over the place but they're grand for basic games.
    Spacebar is not accessible on them though and as far as I can see there is no spacebar on the virtual keyboard either which is strange.

Would be interested in joypads if they work..
    I havent played it in 3 weeks now...

I've been following the C64 mini group on Facebook with interest over the weekend. The proper modding has begun.
    This guy has added 18 new games to the carousel and has changed the music to the Ocean Loader music. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Kinda glad I cancelled my order for one of these what with the crappy joystick that's on offer. I'm quite happy with my RetroPi setup and a cheap buffalo SNES type controller. Can happily relieve my old C64 favourites and dip in to SNES and MAME too.

If they do ever release the larger version with an actual working keyboard with plug and play joyports than I may reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

If you don't mind spending the money then the Ultimate 64 is the way to go:

https://ultimate64.com/Ultimate-64

Or you can source an original C64 and just the get the Ultimate II+ Cartridge:

https://ultimate64.com/U2P_Cartridge_Red

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

DinoRex wrote: »

This is a really good setup - I have the SD card reader that looks like a disk drive myself - if only we could have all this with a hdmi port for modern tvs - my missus isn't a fan of leaving my Amiga MKII screen on display in the sitting room - to be honest - I don't leave it out too often anyway as I have 3 kids under 4 and I'm afraid they would break it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The Ultimate 64 will have a HDMI output and it comes with the Ultimate II+ fully integrated.

Note you'll still have the original load times, but it does let you run cartridge files as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »

If you dont mind building a few extra circuits and a bit of soldering you can do it on the cheap with a Pi3

https://hackaday.com/2018/05/07/raspberry-pi-becomes-cycle-exact-commodore-drive-emulator/

Just to follow up on this. I set up my new joypads and HDMI splitter on Monday and played the c64 mini for an hour. I have a much better opinion of it now. The HDMI splitter means I can play it through a PC monitor and use external speakers.

I played some of the stock games and played some external games, all worked well.

On the joypad, the main fire button was mapped to one of the shoulder buttons (not ideal). I think I'll pack it away until the firmware is updated to support custom button mapping and multiple d64 support.

I must blow the dust off my SNES mini and play some Zelda and Super Metroid. :)

New update from Facebook. Sounds like the new firmware is making progress, and they are adding support for other file types (I assume T64 and PRG?)

Still in its box since April, waiting for the new update....
    THEC64 Update 7th September 2018

As we move forward with the new firmware, we can tell you a little more about what we have been doing behind the scenes!

Over the last week of work on the USB file management update, we've started to look at including support for additional C64 file types over .d64. We're having to rework the internal file management and user interface a little for this to be successful and simple to use. The product vision of THEC64 Mini is to be 'pick up and play', so we have to introduce these advanced features sympathetically, such that they do not intrude into the non-expert user's playing experience. Getting the balance right and creating a process that is as simple and easy to follow is one of the many challenges we've enjoyed working on in recent weeks!

As a bonus, we've also added support for sub-directories to help users organise files, a feature many customers have suggested would be really useful.

Until next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Verkenner

Can't wait for this :)

Launch trailer for the US version. Jump to 27 seconds for something cool. :)

Out October 9th (this day fortnight) so hopefully the firmware will be out by then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is that the one with a functional keyboard?

Nope, that's a while away yet. The US version is a mini (like the one that came out here in March).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Nope, that's a while away yet. The US version is a mini (like the one that came out here in March).

Ah, so they’re only getting it now? I think I’ll hold out for the keyboard version. I had the current one preordered but cancelled it early on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Why are they only getting it now?
    Something to do with the 60hz ?
    Will it do well over there?

Advertisement