Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 Mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Loved last ninja 2 back in the day....class game its time....I remember having to rely on the maps and tips in Commodore User magazine to get through the game. Wouldn't have had a hope otherwise i'd say.

Question though, "where" are you sourcing these games to put onto the C64 mini? As I posted previously, not sure i'd go for it with the packaged games but if I could somehow get the ones I did like as a kid then might be worth going for.....

While it is not posting links to roms, even offering to provide such information from the body of the thread is not allowed.
    What people do via PM is their own business, it is best that if the practice intended is in breach of the rules then it should not be discussed at all in that area.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved last ninja 2 back in the day....class game its time....I remember having to rely on the maps and tips in Commodore User magazine to get through the game. Wouldn't have had a hope otherwise i'd say.

Question though, "where" are you sourcing these games to put onto the C64 mini? As I posted previously, not sure i'd go for it with the packaged games but if I could somehow get the ones I did like as a kid then might be worth going for.....

If it is such information you seek you best get Googling, as it is in breach of the rules here to look for roms/bins/snapshots etc.
    This is because the files themselves are still under copyright, that is they are owned by someone.
    Downloading a game rom from a site without paying for it is, well, theft.
    Discussing sourcing them here can seen as facilitating theft, so it is prohibited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If it is such information you seek you best get Googling, as it is in breach of the rules here to look for roms/bins/snapshots etc.
    This is because the files themselves are still under copyright, that is they are owned by someone.
    Discussing sourcing them here can seen as facilitating theft, so it is prohibited

What if you owned the original cassettes back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This may be of use, shows copyright holders permission for various C64 games, so absolutely no grey area. Download with a clear conscience. Including Llamasoft :).

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/permissions.php

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Asus X540L wrote: »
    What if you owned the original cassettes back in the day?

You'll have to dump their contents in that case - https://greg-kennedy.com/wordpress/2011/08/19/dumping-c64-tapes/

Will the C64 even play TAP files? Unlikely, I'd say it needs disc images.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just because you own one version of the game, that is continue to own, you can probably make a convincing argument in court that you are entitled to have a backup of the game in your collection/SD card.
    But as far as Boards are concerned it's a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Apologies and understood, not up to speed with the whole scene hence the original query and wasn't aware I was asking for anything illegal which was already being discussed....but can I ask a question in that case, how or why does the c64 mini facilitate this and explain how to do it on their website? Are they not facilitating breaches in copywrite or is this something completely different? Can they be bought legally or something?

Apologies and understood, not up to speed with the whole scene hence the original query and wasn't aware I was asking for anything illegal which was already being discussed....but can I ask a question in that case, how or why does the c64 mini facilitate this and explain how to do it on their website? Are they not facilitating breaches in copywrite or is this something completely different? Can they be bought legally or something?

A lot of C64 stuff is abandonware, and as seen above in the link, a lot of software comes with permission from the copyright holders, to use freely given the age of the software. So on that sense, the C64 Mini site isn't necessarily facilitating piracy, it's simply showing you how to add additional games onto the system. Whether you choose to stick to freeware games, or protected games, that's your call...but the instructions are valid.

It's a messy situation with old roms. Unless there's a way to give the copyright holder money by buying the game, it shouldn't be called piracy really.

Inviere wrote: »

A lot of C64 stuff is abandonware, and as seen above in the link, a lot of software comes with permission from the copyright holders, to use freely given the age of the software. So on that sense, the C64 Mini site isn't necessarily facilitating piracy, it's simply showing you how to add additional games onto the system. Whether you choose to stick to freeware games, or protected games, that's your call...but the instructions are valid.

It's a messy situation with old roms. Unless there's a way to give the copyright holder money by buying the game, it shouldn't be called piracy really.

Cheers, that makes sense so.....is there a comprehensive list of freeware stuff anywhere or is it limited to that link? I'm guessing none of my old favourites are freeware! Seems silly that copywrite rules would still apply when the technology is long out dated and when there is a way to play that there wouldn't be a way to purchase.....

Seems silly that copywrite rules would still apply when the technology is long out dated and when there is a way to play that there wouldn't be a way to purchase.....

The likes of the Nintendo Virtual Console has complicated matters :o There now IS a legit way to buy this stuff.

• Advertisement

sham69 wrote: »
    While it is not posting links to roms, even offering to provide such information from the body of the thread is not allowed.
    What people do via PM is their own business, it is best that if the practice intended is in breach of the rules then it should not be discussed at all in that area.
    Thanks

understood.
    Consider me officially told off :)

Pity ocean software went under I'd love to see some of their film tie ins on this. Platoon was amazing. As was Rambo 2 .Licensing must be a nightmare. Same with some of the us gold coin operated conversions. Turbo outrun was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Pity ocean software went under I'd love to see some of their film tie ins on this. Platoon was amazing. As was Rambo 2 .Licensing must be a nightmare. Same with some of the us gold coin operated conversions. Turbo outrun was awesome

I love Turbo Outrun also. Short but so sweet to play, and the graphics were awesome for the time.

Yeah I remember ocean well....almost guaranteed that it would be a good game with them....Batman the movie was a great game at the time.....Robocop too.....ah the memories!

They didn't go under, they were still in soundish health when Infogrames hoovered them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah. They made it as far as releasing games for the N64.

From 64k to 64bit... not bad.

The big three, Ocean, Imagine and US Gold, a mix of great games, gods awful games and games I never got to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Ah yes. US Gold the bargain bin Capcom.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    Ah yes. US Gold the bargain bin Capcom.

I'm old enough to remember them as 'the guys who resold American 8 bit games for our * market'...They supported the Atari 800xl for a bit longer than most of the other publishers as well.

(* well the UK and then us tagged on. But I bought a lot of their stuff via Peats store in Dublin city centre when I was but a nipper )

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember them as 'the guys who resold American 8 bit games for our * market'...They supported the Atari 800xl for a bit longer than most of the other publishers as well.

(* well the UK and then us tagged on. But I bought a lot of their stuff via Peats store in Dublin city centre when I was but a nipper )

I used live in Drogheda as a kid and when we went to Dublin peats was like a Mecca for c64 games. They were sound in there iirc

Then I got older and got into metal and sound cellar was the new Mecca!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is a cool development. The standard size of a c64 disk is 170k. D82 files (higher capacity disk images) work with the mini if you rename them to D64. The upshot is you'll have 1mb to play with instead. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/209280506324242/permalink/214382775814015/

Not linking directly to a site because of boards concerns re copyright, this fella is worth following on twitter, he has links pertaining to what Mr E. explained above. (no idea what the Facebook link is, as I'm not in that group)

https://mobile.twitter.com/C64_endings

Yeah that's what I said. :)

Link is in tweet by the way....

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I said. :)

Link is in tweet by the way....

Edited my post.

Had a good go at the mini today. Sorry but I can't look past the joystick. It's horrible. I had some lovely responsive microswitch joysticks back in the day. I associate leaf switch joysticks with those big quick shot pros.

What are my alternatives for a joypad that won't drive me bananas? I have a wired 360 pad and a generic USB pad at home. Would they work?

^^ The 360 d-pad is an abomination. Much improved by the Xbox One controller.

Had a good go at the mini today. Sorry but I can't look past the joystick. It's horrible. I had some lovely responsive microswitch joysticks back in the day. I associate leaf switch joysticks with those big quick shot pros.

What are my alternatives for a joypad that won't drive me bananas? I have a wired 360 pad and a generic USB pad at home. Would they work?

The cheetah (iirc) was awesome

There was a German company making proper repo competition Pro joysticks, nine pin and USB, I'm sure they're still around. Forty odd euro though iirc.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yeah. They made it as far as releasing games for the N64.

From 64k to 64bit... not bad.

I remember they published The Raiden Project on PS1 as well.

I know cause I kept buying it in second hand shops and selling on Ebay for a tidy profit. I used pay 5-10 euro for it and sold it for up to 50 sterling.

Those were the days 2003-2007 I used trawl Gamestop, second hand shops, charity shops for rare games. Stuff like Kula World, Star Ocean, Tombi, on playstation, ICO with the cardboard box on ps2 etc.

Those kind of niche games get put on the Xbox or PS stores these days mind you.

• Advertisement

I found an old ps3 controller and it works wired.
    Problem is the mappings are all over the place.
    I managed to delete one of my savestates by mistake so just ended up going back to the joystick.
    there has to be a better alternative to use..

Advertisement