Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 Mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Ah, it's more than likely just one of the microswitches going, which is not a surprise given how old the stick is. Easy fix if that's the case anyway, juts haven't got back to it yet.
    Will probably end up replacing them all whenever I next get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The selection of games is pretty **** to be honest, missing so many classics and has some **** on it too, I wonder how the 64 games were chosen, at random it would look like!
    I will have to add:
    Rick Dangerous
    Microprose soccer
    Bluemax
    Klax
    Commando
    Outrun
    Bomb-jack
    Bionic commando
    Flimbos quest
    Kung fu master(think it was c64 I played this first on)
    Metro run
    Rampage
    Renegade
    Skate or die
    720degrees
    New Zealand story
    Midnight resistance
    Batman returns
    And so many more as they spring to mind

The joystick’s petty poor but might loosen up after a couple hours. Will take it apart for a look in a couple days but definitely not the quality or feel of the original.
    Been playing IO today, **** me its difficult, about 1 minute is the max I can last without loosing a life🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

All games were individually licensed. They got permission for all games that are there now. Arcade games and movie tie ins would have been the most difficult to get permission for - that's the reason some classics are missing from the list. Hopefully when they open things up a bit when the firmware, we can fix that situation ourselves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, a campaign for a Commodore forum about to start, and start here?

+64
    (only if boards creates a new "muddy brown" theme to view it with)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Well ,
    Mine arrived at lunch time :D

It really is smaller than it looks in pictures .

447221.JPG

All set up in it's new home :)

447220.JPG

First impressions -

The unit itself feels solid enough , and looks great .

There a decent selection of games .

Looks decent on my TV ( connected through my AV receiver ), with several different display options .

I've seen some negative comments about the joystick and I have to agree to an extent .
    It does feel a little vague although I'm probably remembering my Zipstick with rose tinted glasses .

It's not too bad with Boulder Dash , but a quick play of IO didn't end well .

The controller cable could do with being a little longer for me so I can leave it connected and set up on my TV stand , but if it's something that's going to plugged in and out for occasional use it's probably fine .
    Luckily I have a USB extension cable so I can sit on the couch while playing :)

I tried my Logitech USB keyboard but it doesn't get recognized , neither does my wireless Xbox controller .

Happy enough with it , will play more later :)

• Advertisement

ninja 12 wrote: »

The ones on the new list I remember owning are -
    Armalyte
    Boulderdash
    California Games
    Chip's Challenge
    Creatures
    Cyberdine Warrior
    Cybernoid (Can't remember if I had the first / second or both )
    Gribbly's Day Out
    Hunter's Moon
    IO
    Paradroid
    Speedball
    Thing Bounces Back (looks familiar , I think I owned it , can't remember )
    Uridium

I was browsing the game list and recognised some more that I had owned / played , but had forgotten about .

In total , out of the included games that means I owned / played about 25-30 of them :cool:

I also realised that the newest game on the C64 Mini is from 1992 :eek:

Now I officially feel old :(

:D

TheC64 Mini - updates:

Firmware upgrade version 1.0.6 will be available on 5th April 2018

https://thec64.com/upgrade/

Version 1.0.6 – Changes

– Maps additional functions to joystick buttons for some games
    – Makes minor changes to descriptions for some games
    – Fixes an occasional scenario where an additional USB joystick is not detected until a restart
    – Fixes an intermittent audio click when opening the THEC64 Mini’s MENU in-game

Coming Soon!

Firmware upgrade version 1.0.7 will be available here ASAP after version 1.0.6

Version 1.0.7 – Planned Changes:

– Choose from a selection of disks on USB
    – Allow multi-disk files/games to be accessed
    – Other update features to be confirmed ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Mr E wrote: »
    TheC64 Mini - updates:

Firmware upgrade version 1.0.6 will be available on 5th April 2018

Version 1.0.6 – Changes

– Maps additional functions to joystick buttons for some games
    – Makes minor changes to descriptions for some games
    – Fixes an occasional scenario where an additional USB joystick is not detected until a restart
    – Fixes an intermittent audio click when opening the THEC64 Mini’s MENU in-game

Coming Soon!

Firmware upgrade version 1.0.7 will be available here ASAP after version 1.0.6

Version 1.0.7 – Planned Changes:

– Choose from a selection of disks on USB
    – Allow multi-disk files/games to be accessed
    – Other update features to be confirmed ASAP!

Thanks for this - going to wait to use mine until I can play the games I used to own from usb as I didn't really play many of the internal games to any great extent even though I got the C64 in 1984 - the games listed above are far more recognisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'd be tempted to buy if my favorite games were on it .

Midnight resistance
    Target renegade
    Shadow warriors
    The dizzy collection
    Way of the exploding fist

I will say tho its always peed me off I was only a few levels from finishing snare which I see made it, but I'm terribly dissapointed none of my favorite games made it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Was a C64 fanboy back in the day before upgrading to the Amiga.....there's only a few of the pre installed games which i'd be interested in so not so sure i'd bother. The snes mini is more tempting as i'd say my little fella would get a kick out of those games more.....but for the record, some of the games I remember fondly would be the following which would tempt me back:
    - Ferrari formula 1
    - Turrican
    - Last ninja 1 and 2
    - Robocop
    - Platoon
    - Batman the movie
    - The great escape (yep it was the Hollywood pack I got back in the day!)
    - IK+
    - Kick Off 2
    - Barbarian 2
    - Afterburner 2
    - Ace of Aces
    - Return of the Jedi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Wife got me one yesterday, have it sitting next to my Snes mini...Looks a nice bit of kit.

v1.0.6 of the firmware is out now.

v1.0.6 of the firmware is out now.

Literally took 2-3 seconds to copy from memery stick / install , followed by a quick reboot .

5 seconds in total :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Literally took 2-3 seconds to copy from memery stick / install , followed by a quick reboot .

5 seconds in total :)

Just like a real c64! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

found a video on youtube showing how to put 4 or 5 games (depending on size) into 1 .d64 file, this along with the snapshots/gamesaves means i have 9 of my own fav games installed.

Played delta last night and it was just impossible with the joystick.
    Great to hear Rob Hubbards homage to pink floyd pumping through my speakers though...

sham69 wrote: »
    found a video on youtube showing how to put 4 or 5 games (depending on size) into 1 .d64 file, this along with the snapshots/gamesaves means i have 9 of my own fav games installed.

Why not include the video? :)

Sorry , wasn't sure if it was allowed ;)

on a different note, I have some old ps1/2 wired controllers, I also spotted some usb adapters on amazon, anyone know if this would work on the mini?
    thanks.

Better have some alternative controller to hand anyway. Looks like the packaged joysticks have a short shelf life.

I just saw this video posted to the C64 Mini Group on Facebook. A joystick that buckled and broke after less than a day of use.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SaltyAlluringChimpanzeeRuleFive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm going to guess that the coders out there are working their fingers to the bone coming up with a solution that doesn't require all that tedious mucking about with Commodore Basic and a virtual keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Better have some alternative controller to hand anyway. Looks like the packaged joysticks have a short shelf life.

I just saw this video posted to the C64 Mini Group on Facebook. A joystick that buckled and broke after less than a day of use.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SaltyAlluringChimpanzeeRuleFive

Are the the same original nine pin ports? I used to use a Megadrive controller on my original C64.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Are the the same original nine pin ports? I used to use a Megadrive controller on my original C64.

No, USB controller on this thing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

The joystick is woefully badzhopefully a firmware update will allow any USB sticks to be used because at this moment I wouldn't recommend anyone buying this without that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Makes me feel smug to have a proper c64 with a Zipstick and the 1541 Ultimate II cartridge!

landscape-1471256782-clarkson-being-a-smug-twat.gif

I actually thought I had broken my Ultimate II cartridge the last few days but it turns out it can't load anything if shift lock is pressed down on the keyboard. Wasn't feeling so smug then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Amazon doing this for 65 pounds.

Thinking of biting - what's the consensus here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

USB loader might open it up a bit......some decent games that can be worth a go in the included bunch (Impossible Missions, Games series, Paradroid etc), but it really needs the loader support.

But it's very hard to look past that joystick if you're used to proper quality sticks in the past. Might give it a go with one of the USB/DB9 adaptors and a Zipstick, but wouldn't expect much, as you can feel the latency with some modern displays and the unit already.

On the plus side, it feels relatively polished in it's frontend, and the actual video output is crisp and well defined. Obviously (outside of the feal thing) a proper full size version with working keyboard would be preferable (couple legacy joystick ports would be nice as well), which might become a thing, but there's no guaranteeing that'll happen.

managed to get a few games from usb into the save states.
    Last ninja 1 wouldn't load for me, got to the first screen , pressed spacebar to continue loading and it just stayed on the loading screen.

got last ninja 2 working and it looks great, seems to be an issue with the multiloading though, after i completed level 1 it crashed trying to load level 2.
    I also noticed that the button for spacebar wouldn't work to choose weapon unless i had the virtual keyboard open aswell which kind of defeats the purpose of having the button mapped to spacebar?

I tried to play thrust aswell but the game must use the other port (I think it only supports port 2 at the moment?)

Still loads of fun though, had the kids playing delta and skool daze and they loved them.

I tried to play thrust aswell but the game must use the other port (I think it only supports port 2 at the moment?)

Keep an eye on this page:
    https://freeze64.com/c64mini-hacks/

No sign of Thrust yet, but I'm sure it will come. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Amazon dispatched mine today.

Yolo!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Hopefully the update helps with the joystick lag, gonna try it tonight, also have buggy boy on the USB stick aw hell yea, get the tins in, it's gonna be a long night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

managed to get a few games from usb into the save states.
    Last ninja 1 wouldn't load for me, got to the first screen , pressed spacebar to continue loading and it just stayed on the loading screen.

got last ninja 2 working and it looks great, seems to be an issue with the multiloading though, after i completed level 1 it crashed trying to load level 2.
    I also noticed that the button for spacebar wouldn't work to choose weapon unless i had the virtual keyboard open aswell which kind of defeats the purpose of having the button mapped to spacebar?

Still loads of fun though, had the kids playing delta and skool daze and they loved them.
    Loved last ninja 2 back in the day....class game its time....I remember having to rely on the maps and tips in Commodore User magazine to get through the game. Wouldn't have had a hope otherwise i'd say.

Question though, "where" are you sourcing these games to put onto the C64 mini? As I posted previously, not sure i'd go for it with the packaged games but if I could somehow get the ones I did like as a kid then might be worth going for.....

Advertisement