Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Put it this way, people would have had a go at them if they lost to either of them. They didn't.

They've gotten to a QF.

Which would have been their target surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I hear this a lot that the 1990 team, were a poor team to win an all Ireland. That opinion is a load of rubbish really. Cork comfortably beat the great Tipp team of Pat Fox Nicky English, and the Bonnars etc in that years Munster final, and we beat a Galway team that should have been going for four all Irelands in a row in an epic all Ireland final.

For feck sake any team with Teddy Mac, Tomas Mulcahy, Kevin Hennessy, John Fitzgibbon, Ger Cunningham and Jim Cashman in it is not a poor team. We had a core of players there that won all Irelands in the 80's, and Mark Foley had the year of his life as well, although he did struggle to reach those same heights afterwards. It was a very good team that should have won the two in a row in 1991 imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Exactly - so in that sense it wouldn’t be a turnaround in my eyes given they were decent favourites against Louth and mild favs against Limerick tbh

Seeing them against anyone in the last 8 is a true level so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

For someone who describes that Tipperary team as "great", you have little trouble redistributing their two All Ireland titles ("Galway should have won four in a row", and Cork "should gave won't the two in a row in 1991). Maybe Cork beating them in 1990 was not such a big deal after all? Sounds like they weren't up to much. Before my time, so cannot debate the details (and it's opinion anyway) but just taken with how easily you contradict yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

TBF that's a very mediocre Limerick football team. Cork should be swatting us aside after 15/20 mins. Always admired Cork football since the days of being the "second best team in Ireland" and a backdoor back then would've seen Cork regroup and win many more. Cant understand where or how it went so wrong. Cork should be a regular semi-final team at least. Celebrating not being relegated and making the last 8 is pathetic. Wonder what Billy Morgan would say to that. Limerick performed above their level today, are honest and work hard. 3 players are abroad, Neville (in Dubai) would be up there with Sherlock for scoring. Lee (manager's son) would be a forward starter. White as good a wing back around. If Limerick won today we would be destroyed in 1/4 finals again. Cork, will live with Galway or Derry but not Dublin.

4 football titles since 1973 is a poor enough showing though. One in 1990 and another in 2010 is a 20 year gap. I wouldn't be quoting that roll of honour too often. Dublin (your equal) have won 8 in the last decade alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That will depend on the draw though. Will playing Dublin or Kerry show a true level?? Of course not. Both those teams are a grade or two above Every other county in Ireland I think.

The other teams, we will still be an underdog though, but should be capable of giving them a game nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gauging margin of loss in a 1/4 would show level to some extent against them, but yeh ideally you’d be wanting Derry/Armagh/Galway/Clare

I like Limerick and Limerick people, i mean like Tom Ryan and Richie Bennis are two of my all time favourite gaa personalities. Cork football went wrong when the county board appointed Brian Cuthbert over John Cleary, just because Cuthbert was the fella who would allow Aidan Walsh to play hurling. Cuthbert then dropped must of the panels most experienced players in one foul swoop, and we lost a huge amount of leadership.

The decision to appoint Brian Cuthbert as manager, and him dropping fellas like Graham Canty etc set Cork football back years. Underachievement and Cork football go hand in hand though, the 1973 1989/1990 and 2010 all Ireland winning teams, should have won more all Ireland but didn't.

I admired that Limerick team of the noughties, ye could have won Munster titles in 2004 2009 and 2010, ye could have beaten a crap Kerry team back in 1991 as well. John Quane was a great man. He gave Limerick football many years of great service. I agree Cork may have a chance against Derry or Galway, but Dublin or Kerry then no not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Cork will play either Gaway, Derry or Dublin in the quarter finals. Can't meet Kerry.

I think they can draw Kerry as they did not meet in a provincial final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭The White Feather

No it cannot be Kerry. Its either Derry, Galway or Dublin. You would have to think the end of the road no matter who we get though!!!

"The draw will involve the four provincial champions Galway, Dublin, Kerry, and Derry drawn to play one of the four Round 2 Qualifier winners from this weekend; Mayo, Clare, Cork, and Armagh.

The draw is subject to Provincial Final Winners avoiding defeated finalists from their own province, and to the avoidance of any other repeat pairings. Possible repeat pairings are Galway v Mayo and Kerry v Cork. If a repeat pairing is drawn, the Round 2 team will be moved to the next line of the draw and another Round 2 team will be drawn to play the relevant Provincial winner."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

No, RTE website says any repeat provincial meetings will be avoided not just provincial final pairings

Yeah, I had to check it out as well......

One of the provincial winners will be drawn against one of the round 2 qualifier winners, with provincial final pairings, as well as repeat 2022 championship meetings, set to be avoided.

As such, Kerry can draw Clare, Mayo or Armagh, Galway can draw Clare, Cork or Armagh, Derry can draw Clare, Cork, Mayo or Armagh while Dublin can also draw any of the four qualifier winners.

If a repeat pairing is drawn, the Round 2 team will be moved to the next line of the draw and another Round 2 team will be drawn to play the relevant provincial winner.

Derry or Galway

then

Dublin

In that order of preference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

Kerry- Armagh could be an interesting tie.

Dublin v Armagh

Galway v Cork

Derry v Clare

Kerry v Mayo

I'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

Can’t understand why the draw couldn’t be done after the game today or on the Sunday game show tonight having draws at 8:30 on Monday is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭howiya

Fairly obvious that it extends the media cycle, spotlight etc. I'd still prefer the draw be done today but I can see why they do it on the Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Limerick took 45 years to win an All Ireland In hurling. That's shocking.

• Advertisement

They have the upper hand on us now though unfortunately. I'd like to think we can have a right cut off Limerick, if we get past Galway. Tactically we were very naive and loose in last years all Ireland final, and conceding 2-19 to Antrim is a bit worrying alright. I think we have the forwards to win matches, but defence and organisation or lack of in the back line has been a problem for years now.

Galway are a physical side, and did win an all Ireland as recently as five years ago. They have a more proven record in modern hurling than us. They'll be a good test for us i think, and likewise our skill and pace will worry them as well. We need to make sure that this game is played on our terms, and we need to set the tempo from the word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭thefa

The footballers from about 2006-13 could have been winning it every second year. Ran into some good teams towards the end (Donegal & Dublin) but the hoodoo with Kerry in Croker was a killer. Granted Kerry were a good team too but Cork went into enough of those games as favorites. 2009 final was probably the worst having already beaten them in Munster. Kerry should have had a red card but Cork fell away after such a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

From 1987 to 1995 we totally dominated Munster, i feel we should have won more than two all Irelands in that period. I see 1988 1992 1993 and 1995, as all Irelands that definitely got away from us.

That team had so many class forwards in it, i forgot to mention the baby Jesus Tony O'Sullivan. The likes of Muller Hennessy and Fitzy were the lads to get the goals, Tony was always happy to take his point. Our teams in the 70's 80's and early 90's were feared for their goal scoring ability. The 1999 2004 and 2005 teams, didn't have the same hunger for goals that those earlier Cork teams did. Setanta O'Hailpin was an exception to that rule, but sadly we lost him to the aussie rules.

Some players listed there. I remember down the Páirc v Tip I think. Near the end of the game, Tip got a goal into the City end. While they were celebrating, Cunningham took the puckout and Baby Jesus popped it over the bar from the coveted stand side.

We were truly blessed to grow up watching the calibre of hurlers we had then.

Dublin.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Goes without saying but worst draw ever. Will it be in a neutral venue? Thurles maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Advertisement

Well that's the end of the footballers for this year.

Advertisement