Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

right ok, I didn’t realise Ticketmaster had any part in handling tickets for this match. I’m not sure the answer to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

And your point is what exactly? That was 2013 this is 2024.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I have great time for Limerick people. In fairness even during the bad times ye always had great support at the matches. I do think ourselves and Limerick are the two biggest fanbases in hurling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Anyone know if the clubs got their allocation yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

If he's on parental leave is it not just basically the equivalent of the dole or thereabouts? Unless Pfizer give gold plated parental leave benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭mossie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I was waiting for all the dust to settle and more importantly until I had the time to do a proper post about our win. It was phenomenal and a real battle between 2 good teams.

Looking through my preview now with the benefit of hindsight and I was close enough!

"It is a weird feeling of if we perform, I think we will win. Will we perform though? Chances are yes as I think we targeted this game a while back."

Interesting thing is Pat Ryan said afterwards that he knew we would perform. Now of course he would say this after a win but he seemed very certain the way he said it. I have repeatedly said that teams should worry about their own performances and not get too caught up with the opposition. Of course you need to gameplan such as the puck outs and where they go etc but at the end of the day its about putting the ball over the bar/in the net. So performing and doing your best is critical.

"If however, we go up by a few and the lead changes a lot then I think we have a great chance. This would mean the teams are basically level."

"More than likely we stay with them and hopefully go ahead a few times. The importance of going ahead is vital as it shows them we aren't just hanging onto their coattails."

This was vital to show that we were a real threat and not just hopeful. I knew we were in with a great chance when the lead changed a good bit in the first half. Going in 2 points down was a bit disappointing but we seem to do better in the second halves of games. We tend to finish strong but in this game we didn't score in the last 10 mins! The fitness was strong though as there was a lot of chasing limerick forwards and I think its that extra effort leads a player to just either hurry his shot or just miss which is what happened to Limerick.

I thought the subs were the key and notably Kingston in particular couldn't get going when he came on. It just happens like that. Limericks subs did well except for the few misses near the end. Just a small bit wide and the misses were huge in consequence. It left them going for a goal rather than an equalising point.

"The biggest issue we have is a poor goalkeeper."

I was totally wrong on this one!! But I thought he wasn't brave enough until this game and glad he proved me wrong! He gave one poor puckout that led to a limerick point but all of his puckouts other than that were very good.

"Totally agree with Straight talker above, a complete performance is needed and I do think Croke Park will suit us. I thought the exact same thing about the Dublin football result. Everyone looks unbeatable until they are beaten. Then everyone will say the signs were there. If we can get our pacey style game going then we will look unstoppable all of a sudden. Its getting up to that level is the key. This is why I say we need to look to ourselves and our own performance."

This paragraph could be just repeated for the final! If we can get our pacey type game going again in Croke Park then victory could be ours! We didn't get a complete performance though as we didn't score for the last 10 mins but the work rate didn't drop which was very important.

As regards Clare, I am happy it is Clare rather than Kilkenny. Kilkenny looked great in the first half against Clare but didn't get the scores they should have. They should have been out of sight by half time. I didn't understand the dropping of Drennan either. I know he wasn't superb in his few games but lads who are young need time. I didn't think Robert Downey was a great player but now he is blossoming. He scored our first point against Limerick soloing up the pitch with Limerick players chasing him. He was very solid in defence. These young players need games to bring them on.

This isn't me saying Clare is easy. Far from it. I just think Kilkenny has a higher gear they could potentially get to, but blow hot and cold. See the Carlow result and then the first half against Clare. Clare on the other hand do what they do very well. They are looking for a complete performance too like us as that first half was abysmal. We had a 10 min period where we didn't score but the workrate was good. They had a whole half where Kilkenny were pummeling them.

I can see us punishing anything like that if it were to happen again. This game is like my preview of the Limerick game. Except now its reversed. Clare need to stay with or lead us all the time to create doubt. If they pull ahead by a good few, the game would still be on as we can come back. If we pull ahead though, I don't see them coming back. Though we were 7 points up in the first game and they came back! I think we have improved since that game though. The game against Limerick in PUC really galvanised us and improved us to no end. Kiely said in postmatch the other day, it felt at times in the second half after Limerick got a score, Cork went down and got 2 or 3 in quick succession. It is a great trait to have in the team.

Yes they have beat us already and that does give a team belief they can do it again. The sending off though was crucial to that loss. It was still only by 2 points with that!

SOD is a great player and if we can keep him quiet will be vital. Maybe Pat Ryan on his 2 weeks off is working on something for him like we did with Kyle Hayes! Again all good but we have to do our own performance at the end of the day. The great players nowadays are almost unstoppable when they get the ball into their hand. See Gillane the other day. You have to hope you stop him getting the ball at source or try to make sure he doesn't get a goal at least. Sometimes by just flinging your body at the ball like Collins did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Interesting post.. one thing though Clare came back from 7 down against Cork to win by two.. Clare came back from six down against KK at 50 minutes to win by two. In the Munster final we were a goalpost away from a similar comeback. This game is wide open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The 4 Special Trains are on line now.

The prices will appear over the next hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

I would think that everyone will want to bridge the 19 year gap on that Cork team and get Horgan the All Ireland medal he so well deserves. Clare are very equal with Cork and that's a great opportunity. In 2021 I felt we would have to be extremely lucky to beat one of the best hurling teams I have seen since the early 1990s. In 2013 I felt Clare were better team before the game but we possibly could have stolen that game too the first day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yes, I had a code and once I logged onto TM I was able to view all the possible sections that I could chose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Im just happy we have a manager finally that I have total trust in - for different reasons I never thought Meyler or Kingston would get the job done. Mentally I think we're far stronger than previous years.

I can't handle another nail biter - here's hoping the team perform solidly from Collins up, and Hayes and Connolly have stormers in particular!

Does anyone know the best place to watch the match in Dublin, as in soak up the atmosphere but not having a ticket....a place where kids can go too such as family friendly pub etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Sausages14

This could well be totally pointless (or not allowed..?) but a desperate Cork man here looking for 1 ticket to the final if anyone has a spare.

Hope anyone that goes has a cracking day.

Thanks

Up the rebels 🔴🔴

Almost one week to go! Hopefully the spirit of the late and great Teddy Mac will be with the lads next Sunday week. Small margins will decide this game perhaps that bit of Corkness, that good old we are Cork fighting spirit will get us over the line!😉

We've had a load of legendary forwards over the years Charlie McCarthy, JBM, Ray Cummins, Muller, Kevin Hennessy, the Baby Jesus, Joe Deane, John i don't pass the ball to inferior players Fitzgibbon!, Ben O'Connor and Hoggie etc, well hopefully after next Sunday we'll be speaking about Brian Hayes, Alan Connolly and Declan Dalton etc in similar terms! Up the rebels. A Cork man or woman is never beaten before a ball is thrown in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Does anyone have the full list of panel members? Are the likes of Robbie Cotter, Ger Collins, Conor O'Callaghan, Eoin Carey etc all still in the panel? It's easy to just praise the fellas on the pitch but the guys who don't get on the matchday panel train just as hard and shouldn't be forgotten either. I'd like to see the full list if anyone has it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

probably murrays in O'Connell st the beer garden is huge and has huge screens , its beside the gresham , has the cork club tickets been allocated yet

sounds like a eurovision entry ,

come back to me when you know a real cork song ,

it usually starts with the words , my brother knows karl markx , he met him eating mushrooms in the peoples park !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Nothing Wrong with eurovision windy. Thought with your username you would appreciate all eurovision songs.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Advertisement

You be sick of hearing it if we beat ye next week 😀

Just wondering do the teams travel up on Saturday or the day itself? If Saturday where are Cork staying....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They’re going up Saturday. Presume it’ll be the Burlington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

Every Dub I know still calls it the Burlington (well, the Burlo actually) even though it is must be 15 years since it was called that - was there the night of a previous win, good fun for a local

So presume to wave them off on their way to Croker it would be a good place to go yo around 12 noon?

I think I remember the last final and while the Sunday night they stay in Burlo they stayed somewhere else on the Saturday. I'm almost certain that was the case...

Lots of talk about a Cork fanzone, but in a way it would be great for one in Dublin for those without a ticket to go to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

It was voted down at council. I heard the person on radio talk about it and she said other councilors said its for the GAA to do. 🙄

Hopefully they fix something in time

• Advertisement

We better our wait for an all Ireland is longer than Clare's and we have to do it for Hoggie as well. I know Clare folk wont appreciate me saying this, but Cork need this all Ireland more than Clare do imo.

fr ted? yes there about 5 different windy shepard hendersons at least , one has a growth on the side of his head in the shape of connacht , another once did Oj Simpsons wedding , i must be one of the other ones ……..

I have to be honest here, i was one of those people who was giving out about Pat Ryan after those defeats to Clare and Waterford! Even last year though we'd always come right back into games when we were behind, and that silly sending off probably cost us that game against Clare.

As someone else said Cork under Pat Ryan play with way more fire, spirit and determination than they did under both Kieran Kingston and John Meyler.

I just hope that we have enough work done now on keeping things tight in defence, and keeping those Clare forwards under control. If we can keep them in check then we have the firepower up front to win this.

joe deane was and still is one of the great cacheraters of the game , his stories are unreal , as for game changers would it be awkward looking if shane kinston was the hero next sunday after all the behind the secerns stuff with kieran , if i was putting money on my mark foley award it would be him or aidan mccarthy , mccarthy is more obvious but a poor hurler in open play

• Advertisement

Deano is a great fella but Kevin Hennessy is one of the greatest characters to ever come out of Cork! Great character and a great player so he was. Hopefully we might see him on Up For The Match!

deane should be on dalo's podcast full time , he was the same when he was playing a gas man

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭King Power Fox

I hope you are are not relying on fighting spirit next Sunday to get Cork over the line. Its a given for every team so I would think the Clare fighting spirit will be an equal match for Corks. Anyway can you define Corhness? What added advantage does that have?

Confidence, willpower, never say die spirit etc. Those who understand need no explaining. Those who don't quite frankly and simply just don't matter. As Billy Morgan said there's passion and there's Cork passion, and there's just no beating Cork passion.😉

Corkness is a team in red and white doing it's thing, and hurling with style, panache and abandon. The word seems to piss people in the other counties off as well, which is another added bonus!😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

The biggest mistake Cork GAA ever made in strategy was defining 'Corkness'. "THAT AIR OF CONFIDENCE JUST ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF ARROGANCE - AN UNPARALLELED PRIDE AND OUR INSATIABLE DESIRE FOR CORK TO BE THE BEST AT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING." It's probably the most motivating statement for everyone else ever written! Even Tipp didn't have the foolishness to write that down in their heyday.

during covid i watched a few old games one of them was the 78 final , at the end the cork captain charlie McCarty made a great speech , his punchline at the end was fair play to clare for a great effort but at the end of the day there can only be one winner and of course that winner is cork

that is what is classed as corkness ,interviews were done after the game in the clare dressing room and nobody complained , cork were that good nobody would question them , loughnane was one of the men interviewed he talked about how we needed to do more to get to the level cork were at

its not the same now , there is no way even if cork won and charlie mccarthy walked up the steps on sunday that he could get away with the same speech

the problem is corkness can only get you so far , if it finally gets the great man from glen rovers an all ireland medal we probably wont be happy up here but wont begrudge him one bit either

Corkness is Eudie Coughlan, Christy Ring, Jack Lynch, JBM, Ray Cummins and Teddy Mac etc, and passing that legacy down to future generations. Confidence is a necessary character trait without it over spilling into arrogance. Hopefully i'll be waxing lyrically about Cork and Corkness next Sunday evening!😉

Of course it only gets you so far. Clare and Limerick in the 90's and Armagh and Tyrone in the 00's changed the whole landscape in terms of preparation at intercounty level in both hurling and football. It took us in Cork a hell of a long time to adapt to that changing landscape.

totally agree , we were basically reinvented in 95 , we have became a bullish bunch of supporters we cant lose that as we feel we would be losing our identity ,

the reality is we have to nudge ye across the shoulder and say forget it, when it comes to cork and tradition talk!! everything is physiological from here on in 😂

• Advertisement

As Ringy would say i beat Clare teams on my own. There's fifteen of ye!😂

he probably said that wearing a neck brace though !!🤐😜

That was his half time speech in the 1978 Munster final. Justin McCarthy coaching Clare was a serious motivating factor for Cork. Clare had a fine team that time but there was no backdoor in those days.

sorry i taught it was an after match interview , i still hold homage to his leinster referee view point especially when john keenan and paud o dwyer were in charge of games , they dont count so take as many steps as you like , wexford 76 i think

I think the term was more relevant 20 years ago. We haven't won an All Ireland in 19 years!! Back then we were competing and win every second year

Also I don't see much corkness in the footballers! Indeed the opposite applies at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Cork support is very strong. I don't mean just in numbers but the belief is very high they showed up with strength and numbers this year when it looked like all was over - that has to be admired from all counties especially considering how Tipp fan base turned their backs. (But they didn't save Hurling - to quote Dan Casey...)

Corkness to me as an outsider is a confidence and belief to win always. Which is an edge and advantage against a team that might suffer from negatives towards their ability. It's an important trait in all sport!

It could also be considered a negative and create huge pressure - a lot of talk about this team 'having' to win (19 years, for hoggie ect...) AL are pressure pots anyway without that added layer. Will this pressure drive the players on only Sunday will tell.

Some of the nonsense on social media is taking it to an English Soccer supporter level but I suspect this is a younger cohort and they are really hungry for it. Many of them haven't seen a win. Hunger just might be another edge.

Unfortunately there's zero chance of seeing Henno, his health is very poorly.

Sat two seats next to him in Upper Hogan in the first 13 final, he whips out a stopwatch, and after 60 seconds turns to us and says 'I still have it' - ref to his fastest goal in AIF history in '90. A gas man altogether and a Cork legend.

@another36 please dont give that langer Casey any more oxygen. I listened to his pod one day and he referenced the Rock shoulder down the Pairc where he pointed from 100 yards and claimed it raised the crowd and drove us on to victory. I was there that day, and in fact we lost😆

Glad I never succumbed to TikTok, and I'd suggest for sanity's sake uninstalling it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Sportsjoe would want to reconsider his appearance on their podcast. Unprofessional, juvenile and shows very little knowledge or understanding for the game.

Over the last week he has been insufferable his taunts and click bait on TT at Lmk fans is ridiculous (granted they can be as bad as times...)

Gives ye Cork fans a bad rep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭King Power Fox

Surely confidence, willpower and spirit don't recognise county boundaries. Don't be so fast to dismiss other counties who don't bow down to Corkness - a self imagined superiority complex. Has not done much for ye in the past 20 years.The present Cork team are a fine team - nothing more. There is a good chance one of Clare, Cork or Limerick will not make it out of Munster next year. It doesn't take much for the 5 Munster counties to get their house in order to be ultra competitive. Historically Cork and Tipp hoovered up Munster but not anymore - Clare in the 90s, Waterford in the 00s and recently Limerick. Long may it continue with an odd one here and there for Tipp and Cork.

Advertisement