Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions warn of train strike as staff demand pay increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gooddarts10

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It depends, if staff are driving more /in the short week it could enable savings get made. I'm informed typical weekly driving is 20-26 hours so IE would really get that over 30. Then there is extra DART, Maynooth services planning so extra staff will still likely leave some overtime available.

The big point is that IE would have a guarantee of driver training to take place either through voluntary or compulsory means so can control the overtime bill. I reckon they won't totally eliminate because they can benefit from it as well.

Latest ballot has been passed by both unions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Latest ballot has been passed by both unions

Any % info?

Will the Labour Court still issue is recommendation?

Any % info?

Will the Labour Court still issue is recommendation?

Nbru 59% in favour Siptu 60% in favour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rail-staff-offered-cut-to-working-week-to-avert-strike-36751461.html

Personally, it might work but I don't think senior management should be putting such offers on the table.

To be honest it's progress. Frank's as well also alienated people with his management style to the point that everything ended up deadlocked. Shouldn't be a suprise that there's some movement now that he's gone for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

deferring maintenance to fund pay rises is, frankly, insane.

Just try not be on the train when another bridge collapses.

Infini wrote: »
    To be honest it's progress. Frank's as well also alienated people with his management style to the point that everything ended up deadlocked. Shouldn't be a suprise that there's some movement now that he's gone for good.

Well others might call it blatant blackmail :)

Given the tight result I suspect there will still be a lot of angry DART drivers in Fairview...

As for Frank's management style while I wasn't a fan I don't think it would take much to alienate the workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As for Frank's management style while I wasn't a fan I don't think it would take much to alienate the workforce.

His management style is only effective in private industry. in the public transport monopoly where union blackmail rules supreme, you just have to pay the ransom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

By essential maintenance work, what do they mean, as opposed to non essential maintenance work? Does anyone have any examples of the kind of work that has been postponed and the consequences of that?

On the face of it though, it seems very much another example of a public service not being run on behalf of the public and instead the needs of the staff are deemed more important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

That's just spin, they wouldn't defer essential maintenance for anything.

devnull wrote: »
    By essential maintenance work, what do they mean, as opposed to non essential maintenance work? Does anyone have any examples of the kind of work that has been postponed and the consequences of that?

On the face of it though, it seems very much another example of a public service not being run on behalf of the public and instead the needs of the staff are deemed more important.

Ballast cleaning..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Yes you would as you just slap a speed restriction in

It would be true and it has happened a few times with speed restrictions as said however I wouldn't fully believe the claim either. They need more money so they are been tactical here but I am not surprised those inside would question/dismiss such a claim even if it was accurate.

Yes you would as you just slap a speed restriction in

Then it wouldn't be essential then would it.

It would be true and it has happened a few times with speed restrictions as said however I wouldn't fully believe the claim either. They need more money so they are been tactical here but I am not surprised those inside would question/dismiss such a claim even if it was accurate.

Deffered the works yes but its not essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Then it wouldn't be essential then would it.
    Sure you could stop the trains altogether, then there's be no maintenance required at all.

Deffered the works yes but its not essential.

Depends on your view, I mean is a TSR acceptable to be in place for 12, 18 or 24 months because works are required on the network. In my view its not.

Having to slow down trains is essential, it is just them delaying it as long as possible. Routine maintenance can easily be deferred without slowing trains for a period of time.

You know there is a problem when TSRs are no longer listed in weekly circulars but make permanent on a route....

The high pay rise granted was inevitably going defer infrastructure spend because the NTA were never going to cough up all the money nor should they have to.

They have deffered works in the past for various reasons, it's no biggy. It's still going to get done and a dispute is resolved so happy days all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sure, I'll believe you over IE and a paper of record...
    take your spin elsewhere

• Advertisement

They have deffered works in the past for various reasons, it's no biggy. It's still going to get done and a dispute is resolved so happy days all around.

Over for now, once the 3 months runs out and unions don't get what they want they will dangle the strike threats again!

Over for now, once the 3 months runs out and unions don't get what they want they will dangle the strike threats again!

And rightly so.

Not over yet !! I hear that the Dart drivers ( the problem child of Irish rail ) have thrown there rattle out of the pram and are NOT going to make themselves available for mentoring

Not over yet !! I hear that the Dart drivers ( the problem child of Irish rail ) have thrown there rattle out of the pram and are NOT going to make themselves available for mentoring

Well I cant say I am surprised but still it will be a sticky situation for unions to wriggle their way out of because they set the question and made the result binding!
    And rightly so.

Could you change sides any more often

Well I cant say I am surprised but still it will be a sticky situation for unions to wriggle their way out of because they set the question and made the result binding!

Could you change sides any more often

The unions can’t back them as the vote as you say is binding but unfortunately it looks like a few rabble rousers within the Dart drivers are calling the shots

The unions can’t back them as the vote as you say is binding but unfortunately it looks like a few rabble rousers within the Dart drivers are calling the shots

Given they are confined to EMU I suspect what IE offered is much less appealing as IE probally have adequate staffing resources on the DART. I mean service levels are down but have been more less the same for the last 10 years. Apart from extra training for this 10 minute services resources are probally rarely stretched.

If IE play it well they could even manage to get compulsory training passed, most have a price so anything is possible but suspect I might be to optimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

If IE play it well they could even manage to get compulsory training passed, most have a price so anything is possible but suspect I might be to optimistic!

They already have with the accepted deal.

GM228 wrote: »
    They already have with the accepted deal.

I didn't think it was compulsory, good news all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I didn't think it was compulsory, good news all the same.

Under the accepted deal mentoring is compulsory if they have sufficient volunteers, if not then they will pick at random enough drivers who unless without good reason must mentor, I don't think a simple "I don't want to do it and that's that" will fall into the good reason category. In effect the deal makes mentoring compulsory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Sitting on a DART yesterday, I heard a young shakey voice on the driver's cab tanoy announcing the next stop.

Turns out it was one of the new trainee drivers with his mentor showing him the ropes.

Delighted to see fresh blood in the company. Best of luck to the chap in his new career. He was very polite and courteous.

Thankfully this unfortunate episode of industrial relations has come to an end and young drivers can finally get going on their careers.

Advertisement