Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions warn of train strike as staff demand pay increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

john boye wrote: »
    Praising a company for a 500 million black hole in the accounts is certainly... maverick, I'll give you that.

Somebody pointed out to me here that it wasnt set up to make a profit.

Its certainly achieved that aim :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

"We" have established nothing.

we actually have. i can't force you to believe reality however, i can only provide the information. after that it's up to you what you do with it or whether you except it or not.
    "You may think that but I hate to break it to you flower, but you are not the arbiter of what truth is. Ever.

correct, just as well i never claimed otherwise. the truth is the arbiter of what truth is however.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

we actually have. i can't force you to believe reality however, i can only provide the information. after that it's up to you what you do with it or whether you except it or not.
    We certainly haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Shutdown CIE completely a better option for the taxpayer ?

Switch to DC Pensions, state agree to fund 50% of current Pension liability, here's all our trainsets and buses, party on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

we actually have. i can't force you to believe reality however, i can only provide the information. after that it's up to you what you do with it or whether you except accept it or not.

correct, just as well i never claimed otherwise. the truth is the arbiter of what truth is however.

Stay in school, kids!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Stay in school, kids!

Banned for a day — not for this post alone but a trend if posts like this and the warnings not sinking in.

— moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is always a 3rd option....

Don't leave us hanging, do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

That would be illegal as fair as I'm aware.

Is there any evidence the Government wants to privatise CIÉ
    Does unfounded union paranoia count ????

What bubble do you 2 live in?
    10% of routes gone to Go Ahead ,the other 90% up for tender next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

. the truth is the arbiter of what truth is however.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

bebeman wrote: »

Which CIE will be able to apply for? So what.
    That's not privatising them, that's opening the market to competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

frag420 wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Beats me that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

bebeman wrote: »

That’s not privatisation. That’s tendering/contracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gooddarts10

Any news on the meetings today about the shorter working week and mentoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Any news on the meetings today about the shorter working week and mentoring?

The meeting was cut short and everyone went home for the weekend.

:pac:

The meeting was cut short and everyone went home for the weekend.

:pac:
    Any reason for it being cut short?
    I thought this was last chance saloon ( again )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Any reason for it being cut short?
    I thought this was last chance saloon ( again )

Perhaps the penny has dropped and there will be no negotiations until driver training is sorted out. Speaking of which, Labour Court should be due out soon.

Perhaps the penny has dropped and there will be no negotiations until driver training is sorted out. Speaking of which, Labour Court should be due out soon.

Was it not the LRC they were at today?

Was it not the LRC they were at today?

No idea (only knew about it after reading here) but surly everything is off the table on both sides until the ruling from last month is due.

No idea (only knew about it after reading here) but surly everything is off the table on both sides until the ruling from last month is due.

I know they were due back there today after last months wrc referral

I know they were due back there today after last months wrc referral

But sure they have been back in forth so many times I’ve lost track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because spreading the limited % that the hard left get has worked so well before.

DLR in London is not operating due to a strike today despite being driverless - despite the constant claims on here that the only reason anyone would go driverless is to avoid strikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

A reduction of the working week could resolve the training issues. Interesting :pac:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/reduction-of-working-week-could-help-to-avoid-rail-strike-834689.html

A reduction of the working week could resolve the training issues. Interesting :pac:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/reduction-of-working-week-could-help-to-avoid-rail-strike-834689.html

As far as I’m aware even if the drivers agree to the talks on the shorter working week mentoring will still be voluntary thus changing nothing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So this dispute is actually about the fact that new drivers will impact the ability of existing drivers to earn overtime, which the existing drivers want to offset by reducing the working week?

devnull wrote: »
    So this dispute is actually about the fact that new drivers will impact the ability of existing drivers to earn overtime, which the existing drivers want to offset by reducing the working week?

I have no problem with the drivers trying to better their t&cs but it shouldn’t be on the back of fellow union members

A shorter working week means more drivers will be required to facilitate it so if you want a shorter week you train the new drivers to make it happen

You would think that but the reality is those drivers doing overtime will be worse off regardless of a shorter week. They get a premium for it and expenses as well.

Is there split ranks on the shorter week verses overtime??
    As far as I’m aware even if the drivers agree to the talks on the shorter working week mentoring will still be voluntary thus changing nothing.

IE will want assurance there will be drivers available to train regardless of it been voluntary. They won't agree to a reduced week until the training is resolved.

it has been revealed that the company has agreed to talks on the possibility of reducing their working week if they agree to drive more hours and carry out the training.

The message to members claimed the recently departed chief executive David Franks was the "main protagonist in resisting our agenda to improve drivers' terms and conditions".

"But, that was then, this is now," it said. "We have today receiveda commitment from Iarnród Éireann senior management team that they will enter immediate discussions on a reduction in the working week within a dedicated timeframe of three months."

The message said they faced a choice - they must accept the mentoring deal and begin talks on the working week or "be prepared to engage in an all-out strike if or when Iarnród Éireann moves to unilaterally impose the mentoring regime".

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rail-staff-offered-cut-to-working-week-to-avert-strike-36751461.html

Personally, it might work but I don't think senior management should be putting such offers on the table.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rail-staff-offered-cut-to-working-week-to-avert-strike-36751461.html

Personally, it might work but I don't think senior management should be putting such offers on the table.

As I suspected - all about making sure that current staff do not lose pay from new drivers reducing the ability for existing drivers to earn cash by working overtime.

They're happy to reduce their overtime earning potential by training new drivers, as long as they have some of their current standard hours chucked over from the contracted hours basket to overtime hours basket.

Apparently this was all about mentoring but in reality it's becoming clear it's about not losing the gravy train of the same overtime culture in Irish Rail, that exists in Bus Eireann.

• Advertisement

It depends, if staff are driving more /in the short week it could enable savings get made. I'm informed typical weekly driving is 20-26 hours so IE would really get that over 30. Then there is extra DART, Maynooth services planning so extra staff will still likely leave some overtime available.

The big point is that IE would have a guarantee of driver training to take place either through voluntary or compulsory means so can control the overtime bill. I reckon they won't totally eliminate because they can benefit from it as well.

Advertisement