Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's Cap-xx on the LSE. Thanks.
    It allows me to put in my limit and number etc but when I click place order the message comes up
    It's not even appearing for searches for me at the moment so suspect they've shut it down for everyone for some reason

Shedite27 wrote: »
      It's not even appearing for searches for me at the moment so suspect they've shut it down for everyone for some reason

And it's up 15% since I posted. Typical!!

Really fed up waiting for Trading212 now. Can anyone confirm what, if any, Investment Trusts are listed and available to buy on DeGiro in Ireland, I've read conflicting info, with some saying none are available at all, and others saying most are available except for a few (like SMT)

Are these available? Would greatly appreciate if a DeGiro user could check and let me know:

1. (CGT) Capital Gearing Trust

2. (RICA) Ruffer Investment Company Limited

3. (AGT) AVI Global Trust PLC

4. (TMPL) Temple Bar Investment Trust Plc

5. (MNKS) Monks Investment Trust

6. (JMG) JPMorgan Emerging Markets Inv Trust

7. (PCT) Polar Capital Technology Trust

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dragon74

I went through your list and could only find the following:
      RICA - Ruffer Inv Co
      MNKS - Monks Investment trust
      PCT - Polar Capital

JPMorgan - couple of Inv Trusts:
      JPM European Inv T
      JPM Indian Inv T
      JPM Multi-Asset Trust
      JPM Fleming Japanese Smaller companies Inv T

I have found your other thread very useful. I am stuck in similar scenario, working with an inheritance lump sum. Have applied to Interactive Brokers - but want to avoid those costs and similar delays on application. DeGiro was quick on the application. Good luck.

dragon74 wrote: »
      I went through your list and could only find the following:
      RICA - Ruffer Inv Co
      MNKS - Monks Investment trust
      PCT - Polar Capital

JPMorgan - couple of Inv Trusts:
      JPM European Inv T
      JPM Indian Inv T
      JPM Multi-Asset Trust
      JPM Fleming Japanese Smaller companies Inv T

I have found your other thread very useful. I am stuck in similar scenario, working with an inheritance lump sum. Have applied to Interactive Brokers - but want to avoid those costs and similar delays on application. DeGiro was quick on the application. Good luck.
      Thank you.

I think I will just bite the bullet on Interactive Brokers, I suppose in the scheme of things a tenner a month over the long term becomes insignificant.

Doing sums today and it seems that IB is actually cheaper than DeGiro if you have a decent amount of transactions each month.

I will be starting off with a small sum and adding regularly, I have a certain proportion of income from each paycheck set aside to invest, so there would be a decent amount of transactions (although I could save and just do it quarterly I guess), IB actually works out cheaper (I think) for me, for my uses, as the IT's are UK listed:

UK per trade Degiro costs: € 4.00 + 0.05%, capped at € 60.00, no minimum monthly charge (if I have these numbers wrong please let me know, calculator here: https://www.degiro.ie/fees/calculator)

UK per trade IB Costs: 0.050%, min fee of GBP 1.00, no cap. Minimum monthly charge of $10(US Dollars!), that commissions are offset against.

So if I make 3 or more UK stock market buys a month DEGIRO is costing me more than careful IB use would. (although DEGIRO is capped at 60 per trade, but we are talking about large sums there for that to matter)

If you are just investing a lump sum and won't be adding to it, or only making a handful of transactions a year, then DEGIRO is cheaper (although they don't have the ITs I want so that's me out, thanks again for checking).

But it is likely different if the majority of your stocks are US ones, the pricing differs there, I have not looked at it in detail as the majority of what I want are listed in the UK.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Thank you.

I think I will just bite the bullet on Interactive Brokers, I suppose in the scheme of things a tenner a month over the long term becomes insignificant.

Doing sums today and it seems that IB is actually cheaper than DeGiro if you have a decent amount of transactions each month.

I will be starting off with a small sum and adding regularly, I have a certain proportion of income from each paycheck set aside to invest, so there would be a decent amount of transactions (although I could save and just do it quarterly I guess), IB actually works out cheaper (I think) for me, for my uses, as the IT's are UK listed:

UK per trade Degiro costs: € 4.00 + 0.05%, capped at € 60.00, no minimum monthly charge (if I have these numbers wrong please let me know, calculator here: https://www.degiro.ie/fees/calculator)

UK per trade IB Costs: 0.050%, min fee of GBP 1.00, no cap. Minimum monthly charge of $10(US Dollars!), that commissions are offset against.

So if I make 3 or more UK stock market buys a month DEGIRO is costing me more than careful IB use would. (although DEGIRO is capped at 60 per trade, but we are talking about large sums there for that to matter)

If you are just investing a lump sum and won't be adding to it, or only making a handful of transactions a year, then DEGIRO is cheaper (although they don't have the ITs I want so that's me out, thanks again for checking).

But it is likely different if the majority of your stocks are US ones, the pricing differs there, I have not looked at it in detail as the majority of what I want are listed in the UK.

Yea the NASDAQ trades are only €0.50 on Degiro. I don t bother with any European exchanges. NYSE or NASDAQ only now.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jake frost

DeGiro V T212.

Ive been using T212 for the last few months, and I find it very user friendly and as far as I can see they havent charged me for any trades so far. I also have a DeGiro account which I have never used but I transferred cash into it yesterday and hope to start using it when the lodgment goes through.

I seem to remember that DeGiro used to allow for a number of free trades per month without any commission or charges, can anyone say if this is still the case or do they charge now on every trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

jake frost wrote: »

I seem to remember that DeGiro used to allow for a number of free trades per month without any commission or charges, can anyone say if this is still the case or do they charge now on every trade.

Only on some ETFs, and just one trade.

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf

And while T212 have something nice going on (nice UI and low cost), for me the fact that you cannot transfer positions in and out is a complete showstopper. Basically means the client is fully captive and can’t leave them without liquidating all their positions (which will be a pain for anyone who has large positions and will trigger capital gains tax). This will be a problem if the client becomes unhappy with the service/pricing and wants to switch broker, but also if for whatever reason T212 refuses to keep them as a client anymore (which could simply be because of a vague AML justification or if the person is moving to a country in which T212 doesn’t want to or can’t operate).

Bob24 wrote: »
      Only on some ETFs, and just one trade.

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf

And while T212 have something nice going on (nice UI and low cost), for me the fact that you cannot transfer positions in and out is a complete showstopper. Basically means the client is fully captive and can’t leave them without liquidating all their positions (which will be a pain for anyone who has large positions and will trigger capital gains tax). This will be a problem if the client becomes unhappy with the service/pricing and wants to switch broker, but also if for whatever reason T212 refuses to keep them as a client anymore (which could simply be because of a vague AML justification or if the person is moving to a country in which T212 doesn’t want to or can’t operate).

Thank you Bob for the information, very helpful, yes I can see how this could be a problem if you wanted to close out a position, but as I understand it you can still withdraw your earnings (if any) into your own bank account as you go along. Personally I find T212 far superior to DeGiro and more economical (no charges on trades), there also appears to be more stocks available on T212.

jake frost wrote: »
      Thank you Bob for the information, very helpful, yes I can see how this could be a problem if you wanted to close out a position, but as I understand it you can still withdraw your earnings (if any) into your own bank account as you go along. Personally I find T212 far superior to DeGiro and more economical (no charges on trades), there also appears to be more stocks available on T212.

Yes sure you can sell every share you own and withdraw the proceedings in cash. But it means you are triggering capital gains tax on all your positions, which you might not want to (and also if you have a large amount your bank might ask questions when you receive the cash, even though there is nothing wrong about it). Transferring the shares to another broker would spare all of that.

But yep, agree DEGIRO are faling behind in terms of user experience (and they have delisted many UK investment trusts recently with no clear communication on what’s going one which IMO is unprofessional and disrespectful of clients).

I wouldn’t agree that there are more stocks available on T212 though. They provide access to much fewer international markets and don’t always list small companies on the markets they are covering. So all in all I’d say DEGIRO offers a much broader market reach.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
      Yes sure you can sell every share you own and withdraw the proceedings in cash. But it means you are triggering capital gains tax on all your positions, which you might not want to (and also if you have a large amount your bank might ask questions when you receive the cash, even though there is nothing wrong about it). Transferring the shares to another broker would spare all of that.

But yep, agree DEGIRO are failing behind in terms of user experience (and they have delisted many Uk investment trusts recently with no clear communication on what’s going one which IMO is unprofessional and disrespectful of clients).

I wouldn’t agree that there are more stocks available on T212 though. They provide access to much fewer international markets and don’t always list small companies on the markets they are covering. So all in all I’d say DEGIRO offers a much broader market reach.

Understood Bob, thanks for the detailed information, its something to consider if I get into the high numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

Does anyone buy shares in margin? Let’s say as an example you bought €10k worth of shares on margin, how is the interest calculated after one day, one month and one year?

I find it hard to get a clear answer online, some Reddit threads from a year ago are heavily advising against it. However if you see some shares that seem good value and you don’t have cash in your account, what would people’s thoughts be on buying shares with margin while you await funds to clear into your account

Yevon wrote: »
      Anyone have any experience in using DriveWealth? Trying to decide between this and Degiro, I see most people on here seem to use DeGiro which is probably an answer in itself... There looks to be fees for depositing to DriveWealth and Degiro looks to be free to deposit or withdraw funds?
      Have you considered interactive brokers?

digiman wrote: »
      Does anyone buy shares in margin? Let’s say as an example you bought €10k worth of shares on margin, how is the interest calculated after one day, one month and one year?

I find it hard to get a clear answer online, some Reddit threads from a year ago are heavily advising against it. However if you see some shares that seem good value and you don’t have cash in your account, what would people’s thoughts be on buying shares with margin while you await funds to clear into your account

That's what I use it for, short term loan. Degiro charge 4% interest. A lot of people would use it to increase growth potential, but of course it could increase your loss potential too.

If you buy 5 Lemonade shares on margin at $100, and it drops to $80, you can sell your shares but that only pays back $400 of the $500 debt, so you have to lodge $500 regardless. Then there's $20 interest on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

Shedite27 wrote: »
      That's what I use it for, short term loan. Degiro charge 4% interest. A lot of people would use it to increase growth potential, but of course it could increase your loss potential too.

If you buy 5 Lemonade shares on margin at $100, and it drops to $80, you can sell your shares but that only pays back $400 of the $500 debt, so you have to lodge $500 regardless. Then there's $20 interest on top of that.

That 4% is over the course of the year though? So over a few days it should be a very small amount.

digiman wrote: »
      That 4% is over the course of the year though? So over a few days it should be a very small amount.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Does Degiro show premarket prices now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

bfa1509 wrote: »
      Does Degiro show premarket prices now?

Not at all.

RealistSpy wrote: »
      Not at all.

It does show premarket ask and bids and # of shares sold. However you're better off using the Nasdaq website etc. for actual PM trades (may be a 15m delay).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm quite new (12 months or so) to Degiro. I had been living in Sweden for most of that, and when I received my annual tax form from the Swedish tax agency to be returned, I saw that my Degiro purchases, dividends etc were already filled out, share by share, I only needed to click on Submit to file my taxes. Degiro and the tax agency's system there seemed well connected, which made things very easy.

Is there something similar here with Revenue? Or will I need to inform them of all my holdings manually?

• Advertisement

radiospan wrote: »

Is there something similar here with Revenue? Or will I need to inform them of all my holdings manually?

No it is all manual. Having said that, DEGIRO provides a pretty convenient tax report which gives you all the consolidated amounts you need to fill out your tax return.

So it is pretty quick and easy ... you just need to make yourself familiar with the timelines for filing returns and making payments and to copy the amount from the DEGIRO report to the Revenue website (assuming you don’t have any sources of dividend income and CGT to add to that).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is options trading available on DeGiro?

I have 100 shares of IPOF, thinking I could sell calls and collect the premium. Anyone know anything about this?

Pussyhands wrote: »

I have 100 shares of IPOF, thinking I could sell calls and collect the premium. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes, but only if you have a non custody account. You can only trade in options etc. if you allow your shares to be borrowed for shorting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Options trading on DeGiro are very limited but yes, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

Options trading not available on DeGiro for U.S quoted shares. To the best of my knowledge Option trading only available for European markets

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

pluto_322 wrote: »
      Options trading not available on DeGiro for U.S quoted shares. To the best of my knowledge Option trading only available for European markets

Can some one explain options trading ina a very simple way for less experienced traders please

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭transylman

pluto_322 wrote: »

You can get put and call warrants on us indexes and a very limited number of company stocks, but the pricing on the company warrants are pretty awful. I see Tesla options with bid of 0.48 and ask of 0.8, meaning 20% margin for the seller/buyer if they are to fulfil elsewhere at market.

Is Interactive Brokers any better for US options?

richie123 wrote: »
      Can some one explain options trading ina a very simple way for less experienced traders please
      I always think of options a bit like betting on stock prices, so lets compare it to betting on Liverpool to qualify for the Champions League next year.

Today end March,
      - bet $200 that Liverpool qualify for CL at the end of this season (end May). If they qualify, you get $500.
      - buy $200 option that Nike price will be $150 by end May. If it gets to $150*, collect $500.

Right now, neither are where they need to be (aka "in the money").

If you fell into a coma and woke up in June, you've either won or lost, in both cases you now either have $0 or $500.

But between now and May, if Liverpool start winning, Paddy Power will offer you cash out options, so you might get offered $220, $250, $300 to cash out early. Similarly, if Nike starts rising, your option contract will now be worth $220, $250, $300 to "cash out" or "sell the option".

One other difference, with Liveerpool bet, you get $500 whether they finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. With Options, the further above $150 the price goes, the more you win (so could win $500, $600, $700 etc) - most of the crazy wins you heard about with Gamestop were this calculation.

That's the basics of it, there's a whole other level of science in how much the cash out is worth, or how much extra profit you win.

If it goes about $150, you get much more than the $20 you'd get from a Nike share going from $130 - $150, but with the option there's as much chance you get $0 as getting $500. With stocks it's very unlikely to lose all value.

In my experience, Options traders need to be willing to lose 9 times out of 10, hoping they'll make it back with one big win.

*technically you'd need it to go to about $155 to cover your bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is anyone having issues with the app on their phone? Im on Android and after an update a few days ago it comes up telling me the browwer is outdates and to upgrade to a newer version of various web browsers

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

neris wrote: »
      Is anyone having issues with the app on their phone? Im on Android and after an update a few days ago it comes up telling me the browwer is outdates and to upgrade to a newer version of various web browsers

I'm on android with no issues on the app or webrowser .. How are you logging in? I'm using the app from Google play is there a reason your not using it?

Advertisement