Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/ scariest horror films

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

flatty wrote: »
    Jaws scared the hell out of me.

And the music..

I also got a genuine fright in Cast Away when he's on the raft in the ocean and a whale comes up beside him :/:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

I really enjoyed The Atticus Institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Still does it for me.

It's a wonder how Spielberg got a PG for that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

I got tickets to Jaws live in Manchester next year. Cannot bloody wait!
    The archetypal blockbuster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The Woman In Black - Not the film, but the TV episode that was shown, on all of ocassions, at Christmas Eve on ITV!!!!!!!! (wtf???), had a pretty crap Christmas after watching that. Terrifying and scary, but it is a classic good old fashioned ghost story, that lingers on in the mind, the play is amazing too....

Have heard a lot about this over the years but never managed to see it, really hope it appears again at some stage.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭al87987

Tony EH wrote: »
    Still does it for me.

It's a wonder how Spielberg got a PG for that film.

Watched the Spielberg documentary yesterday and the Jaws part was just amazing. He was only 25 at the time. The shark broke on the 1st day of filming too so they had to do without it for the majority of the shoot. Senor Spielbergo made do with barrels/debris to represent the shark and the score also.

Bruce broke and kept on breaking. A shoot of several weeks turned into several months. It was a nightmare. It's through a strong collaborative endevour that involved a lot of improvisation of all the people concerned that the film became a success and gave Spielberg a career. 'Jaws' came very close to being the first and last film with a budget that he worked on.

I've probably watched all the documentaries on 'Jaws' over the years. Its making is just as entertaining as the film itself.

If you haven't done so already, check out 'The Shark is still Working'. It's a making of doc that shipped with the Blu-ray a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

DvB wrote: »
    Have heard a lot about this over the years but never managed to see it, really hope it appears again at some stage.

Pretty sure it's on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Watched Cabin in the Woods last night. Felt so bad for keeping the hubby up. Absolutely awful!!! I mean, really really bad. And if I recall this got reasonable reviews!!!
    With the exception of Candyman I think the movies on TV this weekend have been really poor. I actually find this is the case every year for Halloween. It's a pity the channels can't celebrate this time of year a bit more. Surely it wouldn't cost much to air a few good horrors! Some of the best ones are 20+ years old!

Sacrilege!!!

Cabin in the Woods is right up there with Tucker and Dale vs Evil as arguably the best horror comedy ever made.

Both feature countless horror movie tropes and cliches but every single one of them are done with absolute love for the genre.

They are both tremendous fun.

I find James Wan films pretty lame. Horror for the noughties MTV generation, soulless vehicles to generate big bucks.

With horror, go for the classics, Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead, Rosemary's Baby, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the Exorcist, the Shining, the Thing, Silence of the Lambs, Blair Witch Project, Event Horizon, the Evil Dead, Don't Look Now, Picnic at Hanging Rock (more eerie than horror), the Wickerman (obv the original) etc.

Or think of the BBC ghost stories, Oh Whistle and I'll come to You, the original Woman in Black, episodes of Tales of the Unexpected on Youtube etc.

If you've seen them all, and want to go modern, avoid US horrors...though the first Paranormal Activity and first Saw were decent, but generally go Asian for ghost stories like Ringu, the Grudge and of course Audition...you'll never think of cheese wire in the same way again. And think of Europe for the shockers..Martyrs, Calvaire, Funny Games etc.

As for the best? A Tale of Two Sisters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Sacrilege!!!

Cabin in the Woods is right up there with Tucker and Dale vs Evil as arguably the best horror comedy ever made.

Both feature countless horror movie tropes and cliches but every single one of them are done with absolute love for the genre.

They are both tremendous fun.

There in the problem lies.
    I was expecting a horror not a horror comedy. And I'd never heard this movie described as such! But yes, defo not suitable for anyone looking for frights! I must do my research in future !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

El Duda wrote: »
    Interesting opinion. I quite like James Wan and th Conjuring films but I don't class them as horror. They are jump-scare films. Jump scares don't have a lasting effect. They are essentially, cheap thrill-ride films that are completely forgettable. Very well crafted, but they will date horribly imo.

Well they are what I class as decent scary movies I have no interest in gorefest movies like Saw or Hostel type films but Wan’s movies bring me back to 70’s/80’s style scary movies..
    I saw IT tonight and I was delighted that they made a well crafted adaptation of King’s book it had a couple of good scares one scene in particular had me scream out lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Didn't find Rosemary's Baby scary at all... It's more of a social commentary on male domination in a time of growing female empowerment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Last shift was a loada baloney :(

Surprised noone has mentioned Seed yet, quite possibly one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen.

Warning, it's pretty horrific.

Not as bad as three guys one hammer but...eh.. Lets not go there

Special mention for Light's Out which actually gave me the chills out of all movies this October, as when the lights went out downstairs I momentarily freaked out. I guess a movie's effectiveness is dictated by your mood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

nix wrote: »
    Last shift was a loada baloney :(
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Special mention for Light's Out which actually gave me the chills out of all movies this October, as when the lights went out downstairs I momentarily freaked out. I guess a movie's effectiveness is dictated by your mood

I'm surprised nobody else seems to have liked Last Shift. I guess my mood did dictate the effectiveness of that movie. I work in a factory where I end up there by myself doing overtime so I'll be the one turning off the lights and shutting everything down with no one else around. That film had me tweaked for a couple of weeks after when I was leaving work in the dark.

Light's Out didn't do much for me I'm afraid.

I watched IT last night. Nothing particularly scary but still I think it got the spirit of the book across and Pennywise is great in it. Looking forward to Chapter 2.

Speaking of clowns, Clown is a good one to pass the time. It has an utterly daft story about a man that becomes possessed by a demon after putting on a cursed clown suit but it's still worth a gander. It also has Peter Stormare in it which helps.

I thought 'Last Shift' was very good, up to its final third. But, it eventually loses the run of itself.

'Light's Out', though, was very disappointing. Especially coming off the back of the original, effective, YouTube short. It's a nice little idea stretched out well beyond breaking point.

Still haven't seen 'It' yet. Nothing in the trailer or the subsequent hype train enthused me that much about it. Certainly not enough to get up off my arse to go to the cinema for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

I really liked Sam Raimi's effort with Drag Me to Hell. That was just a rock solid, lots of fun, honest-to-god horror film. It's a given that Raimi will always be in the shadow of Evil Dead, when it comes to horror films, but Drag Me to Hell stands on its own, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've seen it so many times, I absolutely love it.

It was actually on TV last night and I watched about ten minutes of it before MOTD started.

Saw "It Comes at Night" just now. Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Saw "It Comes at Night" just now. Brilliant.

Was disappointed with that after all the hype it got. It wasn't even a horror either imo, more a psychological thriller?

Was disappointed with that after all the hype it got. It wasn't even a horror either imo, more a psychological thriller?

Ah I didn't hear about it and missed all the hype, probably helped.

I just watched it not knowing anything about it, not even a trailer. I think this is the best way to appreciate films on their own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah I didn't hear about it and missed all the hype, probably helped.

I just watched it not knowing anything about it, not even a trailer. I think this is the best way to appreciate films on their own merits.

I think this is what happened with me when I watched The Road. I just happened to see the trailer on TV, which painted the film as something of an action-adventure, whereas it's more of a drama/horror where things start out pretty bleak and get worse from there.

Heard good things about Green Room, but not mentioned here, is it worth checking out?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Heard good things about Green Room, but not mentioned here, is it worth checking out?

Definitely! I'd lean more towards it being a (very violent) thriller than it is a horror, but still a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cherry13

Green Room is a great one but the type of horror that neo nazis are in and it's also got a fairly good cast, also some catchy toons if yer into yer music

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cherry13

branie2 wrote: »
    the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Classic, Donald Surherland is fantastic! The older one is really good too but I prefer the 78 version

It is.

It's a bit bog standard "nazi skinhead" and full of the usual boring tropes. But, it's worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cherry13 wrote: »
    Classic, Donald Surherland is fantastic! The older one is really good too but I prefer the 78 version

Ah, the 1956 one is the version for me. Brilliantly paced bit of reds-under-the-bed style paranoia. 'They're already here! You're next!'

Advertisement