Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/ scariest horror films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Last Shift did absolutely nothing for me.

'Cept yer wan did something for me ;)

Yeah Autopsy of Jane Doe is one I mentioned before , great flick

Anyone mention The Woman in Black yet?

That's very effective and well acted I thought, although if you want real terror try to see the play in London.

Master's of Horror has a good few to choose from.

Imprint is fantastic and Audition is another one that sticks in my mind to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The best Masters of Horror episode was the one by Dario Argento. Fu*ked up.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The best Masters of Horror episode was the one by Dario Argento. Fu*ked up.

Jenifer right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenifer_(Masters_of_Horror)

I think I saw that one alright

Good list of them here: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000046288/

Gonna check out John Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns" tonight, and "Sick Girl"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just worth pointing out that if you feel like you've seen them all, and are at a bit of a loss as what to watch this Halloween, it's worth looking at some of the anthology horror and mystery television shows that have been made over the years. Twilight Zone, Hammer House of Horror, Armchair Thriller, Tales from the Darkside, Night Gallery, Night Visions, Tales From the Crypt, etc.

Easy to do a Google search on any of these shows for the best episodes and pick the ones that take your fancy.

Back on topic, I'm suddenly reminded of all those schlocky horror films we used to rent in bulk back when we first got a video player. Chief among them would be House (1986). A really, really fun horror-comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

briany wrote: »
    Just worth pointing out that if you feel like you've seen them all, and are at a bit of a loss as what to watch this Halloween, it's worth looking at some of the anthology horror and mystery television shows that have been made over the years. Twilight Zone, Hammer House of Horror, Armchair Thriller, Tales from the Darkside, Night Gallery, Night Visions, Tales From the Crypt, etc.

Easy to do a Google search on any of these shows for the best episodes and pick the ones that take your fancy.

Back on topic, I'm suddenly reminded of all those schlocky horror films we used to rent in bulk back when we first got a video player. Chief among them would be House (1986). A really, really fun horror-comedy.

Arrow recently released the entire box set of the 4 House movies. I've watched the first two, dated but good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I remember watching Tales from the Crypt when I was small and The Outer Limits was good too.

Society was a good cult horror/mystery movie. Definitely a few horrific scenes in that!! :/

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Society was a good cult horror/mystery movie. Definitely a few horrific scenes in that!! :/

Aye saw Society the other night... it's weird like Suspiria... whereas the latter had OTT music, Society has OTT special effects

mrcheez wrote: »
    Aye saw Society the other night... it's weird like Suspiria... whereas the latter had OTT music, Society has OTT special effects

Ye the special effects are OTT. I felt a bit violated after watching it :pac:

• Advertisement

Jenifer right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenifer_(Masters_of_Horror)

I think I saw that one alright

Aye, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Devil's Advocate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Cracking film Salem’s lot was the window scenes really scared me when I was was younger, still think Mike in the chair was scariest scene loved the film.

That window scene scarred me as a young boy. Don't think I could go near drawn curtains until my early 20s. Horror is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The 1931 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Yeah Autopsy of Jane Doe is one I mentioned before , great flick

Yes, that's one I watched based on word of mouth, very effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I was watching Annebelle (the 1st one) the other night & something struck me.

Hoping not to spoil it but the devil, or what looks like him, appears a couple of times.
    By the end all the cliches kick in with doors slamming & things spinning, think he wants a soul or whatnot.
    If the demon had all this power why not appear in the first 5 minutes, kill everyone, the end.

You really have to suspend logic & belief to take most modern horrors seriously.

Except, Babadook, I loved Babadook.

By definition, you have to suspend "suspend logic & (dis)belief" when you choose to watch a horror film. They are, generally, stories about the absurd and the ridiculous. You watch them to massage your fears and discomfort in a safe setting.

A bigger problem than that is that most modern horror is absolute shite, as is most modern film, as a whole. But, there is a particular glut of sub-par horror films afloat these days, that that particular genre is awash with really poor product.

Looking further at 'Annabelle' for instance. That was a knock off from 'The Conjuring', which was fairly entertaining, even if it was a simple "quiet, quiet, loud" approach that wore thin in places. So, Annabelle's heart is in the wrong place for a start. It was first and foremost a money grab, with a quickly scribbled story tacked on. Although, I will say that it had one very effective moment in it...
    where the demon appears briefly and subtly behind the doll

Other than that, it was an exercise in meh, which is the case more often than not these days. There's simply too much out there, which results in having to sift through a sea of dross for the odd gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tony EH wrote: »
    By definition, you have to suspend "suspend logic & (dis)belief" when you choose to watch a horror film. They are, generally, stories about the absurd and the ridiculous. You watch them to massage your fears and discomfort in a safe setting.

A bigger problem than that is that most modern horror is absolute shite, as is most modern film, as a whole. But, there is a particular glut of sub-par horror films afloat these days, that that particular genre is awash with really poor product.

I'd say horror has always been particularly afflicted by quantity over quality. I could dig up a huge list of terrible horror films from almost any decade. Luckily for us, we're in a better position than ever not to be bamboozled by some snappy presentation. Used to be that you'd spend your money based on the poster or video cover. Anyone willing to do 20 seconds research can brush aside all those crappy copycat films with ease. And if they're not willing to do that bare minimum, then they're probably the sort who're satisfied with any old c**p anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Candyman is a horror movie which seems to be really underappreciated nowadays. Scared the bejesus out of me when I was younger. Great performances from Virginia Madsen and Tony Todd and a brilliant score from Philip Glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

neirbloom wrote:
    Candyman is a horror movie which seems to be really underappreciated nowadays. Scared the bejesus out of me when I was younger. Great performances from Virginia Madsen and Tony Todd and a brilliant score from Philip Glass.

Its brilliant and is on film4 this very night at 11.00 r thereabouts...

• Advertisement

smurf492 wrote: »
    Its brilliant and is on film4 this very night at 11.00 r thereabouts...

cool and searching for that on Rotten Tomatoes brought up a 2017 flick called The Devil's Candy which is getting rave reviews.. another for the list

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-devils-candy-2017

(it was mentioned in this thread earlier too)

mrcheez wrote:
    cool and searching for that on Rotten Tomatoes brought up a 2017 flick called The Devil's Candy which is getting rave reviews.. another for the list

Yes i saw that earlier in the year... Pretty good as i recall..

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Watched Cabin in the Woods last night. Felt so bad for keeping the hubby up. Absolutely awful!!! I mean, really really bad. And if I recall this got reasonable reviews!!!
    With the exception of Candyman I think the movies on TV this weekend have been really poor. I actually find this is the case every year for Halloween. It's a pity the channels can't celebrate this time of year a bit more. Surely it wouldn't cost much to air a few good horrors! Some of the best ones are 20+ years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The first Rec film scared the hell out of me very effective!
    James Wan has really brought back proper scary horror movies like The Conjuring and insidious are old school and effective horror without the gore.

Thinking tomorrow night maybe hellraiser, nightbreed directors cut and halloween...

smurf492 wrote: »
    nightbreed directors cut...

"Everything is true. God's an Astronaut. Oz is Over the Rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live." :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not really the same thing but tried to get through Earthlings, a documentary narrated by jaoquin pheonix. It is the 10 year anniversary and there was a new version released for free. It's not happening. Nope.

www.nationearth.com to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

The first Rec film scared the hell out of me very effective!
    James Wan has really brought back proper scary horror movies like The Conjuring and insidious are old school and effective horror without the gore.

Interesting opinion. I quite like James Wan and th Conjuring films but I don't class them as horror. They are jump-scare films. Jump scares don't have a lasting effect. They are essentially, cheap thrill-ride films that are completely forgettable. Very well crafted, but they will date horribly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Posted these in a similar thread not so long ago, but my faves would be:

Jacobs Ladder - Possibly one of the most underrated psychological horrors of the last 30 years. Tim Robbins gives his best performance as a tortured Vietnam vet who experiences painful hallucinations while trying to figure out what happeend to his unit during the war. Directed by Adrian Lyne, who went onto make that god awful "Indecent Proposal", still this is his best work

Session 9 - :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: , very disturbing film about a bunch of health&safety workers removing asbestos in an abandoned psychiatric hospital. The tension in this film is unbelievable and centers around one of the workers who finds old recordings of a patients testimony and during each session while listening to the tapes ,some strange and very disturbing occurrences takes place at the hospital that affects the workers. Starring Peter Mullan and David Caruso, if you get the dvd, check out the deleted scenes, which give a completely different synopsis to the film, but the ending is just so so.............ughhhhhh.....arghhhhhh (yep complete mind ****)

The Woman In Black - Not the film, but the TV episode that was shown, on all of ocassions, at Christmas Eve on ITV back in 1989!!!!!!!! (wtf???), had a pretty crap Christmas after watching that. Terrifying and scary, but it is a classic good old fashioned ghost story, that lingers on in the mind, the play is amazing too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Jaws scared the hell out of me.

Advertisement