Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/ scariest horror films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Yep another vote for Salem’s Lot I remember when it was shown as a two part series back in 1979 on RTÉ 1 it scared the hell out of me and turned me on to Stephen King as I had to read the book that it was based on! I would rate this is Tobe Hoopers finest film!

Cracking film Salem’s lot was the window scenes really scared me when I was was younger, still think Mike in the chair was scariest scene loved the film.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Tazium

Sinister it's been mentioned a couple of times already. Watched it on my own with my missus asleep. Actually had to pause it, and go wake her up to calm myself down. Never has any movie given me that kind of reaction, I was like a child watching from behind my hands. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Tazium wrote:
    it's been mentioned a couple of times already. Watched it on my own with my missus asleep. Actually had to pause it, and go wake her up to calm myself down. Never has any movie given me that kind of reaction, I was like a child watching from behind my hands.

Me too!!!! It was a film that stayed with me for a long time after watching it....it's horrific!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ethan Hawke was perfect for that role and added real weight to the film.

The surreal audio playing during the home videos was disturbing. Best intro ever too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That film turned me into a Ethan hawke fan. One of the best American horrors of recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

White Noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

All the paranormal activity movies scared the life out of me, particularly the second one. Also found The Grudge to be very good. Another hand up for Sinister too. Has that creepy unerving atmosphere throughout!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thought IT Follows was awful.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The 1976 version of the Omen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

anyone know where Salem's Lot can be got online?

• Advertisement

The Ninth Gate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Insidious 1 and 2

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

Creep (2014) is worth a watch. It's the only found footage type movie I've seen where the camcorder being there makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Tusk. (2014)

A surprisingly chilling horror directed by Kevin Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tusk. (2014)

A surprisingly chilling horror directed by Kevin Smith.

I like Kevin Smith and I very much enjoy schlocky films usually but I thought Tusk was absolutely terrible. I was massively disappointed and I certainly wouldn't call it a horror, let alone a chilling one! More like a comedy-horror b-movie.

Saw "Gerald's Game" last night.

Very good and even though it's mainly a thriller it has some surprising supernatural scares so could venture into horror territory

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

If you want to talk about classic supernatural horror films, The Sentinel (1977) is worth a watch. Not very graphic, but scary enough to give a 7 year old a bit of a complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Watch a lot of horror movies. Watched The Last Shift over the last year or two and it really stood for me in the scares department. It keeps pilling on the horror over the course of the movie and scared the bejasus out of me. Probably didn't help that I was working alone in my office late at night for the week or two afterwards. Very effective horror movie.

The whole thing is here on Youtube…

Seriously, all y'all need to watch this if you want to get the poo scared out of you.

Another good one is Splinter (2008). Very reminiscent of The Thing - Two young couples take refuge inside an isolated petrol station after happening upon a bizarre parasitic organism that transforms its hosts into grotesque zombie-like creatures. Easy watch in that it's pretty tightly paced. Not so easy to watch if you're the squeamish type.

Seriously, all y'all need to watch this if you want to get the poo scared out of you.

Forgot about this will check it out tonight

100% on Rotten Tomatoes too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

mrcheez wrote: »
    Forgot about this will check it out tonight

100% on Rotten Tomatoes too

only 5 reviews though, movies that go under the radar on RT can often get crazy high scores so not accurate most likely

a horror movie i enjoyed recently was The Autopsy of Jane Doe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3289956/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

nix wrote: »
    only 5 reviews though, movies that go under the radar on RT can often get crazy high scores so not accurate most likely

a horror movie i enjoyed recently was The Autopsy of Jane Doe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3289956/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Watch it and decide. I'm making it my mission to tell every horror movie fan to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Watch it and decide. I'm making it my mission to tell every horror movie fan to see this.

oh i dont doubt you, im just commenting on RT and how the scores are with low review counts.

I'll give that movie a watch soon, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Last Shift did absolutely nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

briany wrote: »
    Another good one is Splinter (2008). Very reminiscent of The Thing - Two young couples take refuge inside an isolated petrol station after happening upon a bizarre parasitic organism that transforms its hosts into grotesque zombie-like creatures. Easy watch in that it's pretty tightly paced. Not so easy to watch if you're the squeamish type.

Good call. I remember enjoying that. Low budget, but well done body horror stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

with Halloween next week could we make a list of movies to watch on telly or Netflix ?

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Sorry but the amount of snafus in the road ruined it for me.

The Road is one of those films that is haunting but also depressing, and really boring at times.

And the film couldn't really accurately depict the horror of the landscape as described in the book. In the book, it sounds like the planet has been turned into a hellscape of dilapidated buildings and black, charred forests. A place where nothing grows. In the film, it often just looks like a sh*t Autumn day half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think 'The Road' is one of the films of its decade.

Stigmata, starring our own Gabriel Byrne

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think 'The Road' is one of the films of its decade.

Fair enough.

Advertisement