Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best/ scariest horror films

Options
  • 17-09-2017 11:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭

Went to IT last weekend and whilst I enjoyed it I didn't find it scary . In fact the bits that were supposed to be scary I found funny

Would appreciate a list of the best and scariest horrors

The exorcist and the shinning are surely on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Went to IT last weekend and whilst I enjoyed it I didn't find it scary . In fact the bits that were supposed to be scary I found funny

Would appreciate a list of the best and scariest horrors

The exorcist and the shinning are surely on it

Halloween
    Evil Dead
    The Blair Witch Project
    The Omen
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Ring
    Gigli

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    The Haunting (1963)
    Possession
    [Rec]
    Candyman
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Another vote for [Rec]
    Rosemary's baby
    Let the right one in (Swedish original)
    Paranormal Activity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Coming as it from a scary/creepy POV rather than on how good a film actually is, these would stand out for me over the past few years:

The US versions of The Ring and The Grudge. Originals are fine but not remotely as scary.

Mama and Lights Out are in line with those, so if you like those types of movies it should suit.

Conjuring is quite good too and It Follows is another one I loved recently.

Sinister with Ethan Hawke definitely worth a watch as well.

Some of the Paranormal Activity movies are pretty creepy.

Irish films The Canal and The Hallow aren't a bad watch either.

The Evil Dead remake might suit the bill.

Sure there are loads more but those are the ones that I found creepy/bit scary. I wouldn't call them the best horror films though.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

The Sentinel 1977 is a very scary horror movie, think early Polanski movies like The Tennant, Repulsion or Rosemary's Baby. Has one of the strangest cast list I've ever seen in a horror movie.

Dead of Night 1974 directed by Bob Clark is probably one of the most underrated movies I've ever seen. Very creepy movie about an Ex Vet returning home from Vietnam.

Angst from 1983 is a crazy movie about a psychopath released from a mental institution who of course goes on a killing spree although its based of a true story . Shot entirely from the perspective of the killer every line of dialogue you hear is in his head and your never given much breathing space at all. The Cinematography and camerawork is some of the best I've ever seen in any movie period but be warned it is very brutal at times.

Martyrs a French/Canadian horror from 2008 is also great and probably the last horror movie since The Babadock to genuinely creep me out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

briany wrote: »
    Halloween
    Evil Dead
    The Blair Witch Project
    The Omen
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Ring
    Gigli

Whilst a lot of those movies are good id class some of them as more comedies than horror. Evil dead and Nightmare on elm street especially. Never seen gigli

I really like the conjuring movies but once the warrens become involved it ceases to be scary because every thing is out in the open, everyone knows what they are dealing with . I think the original Amityville is very scary for the opposite reason. They are on their own . I also found sinister harrowing and errie at the start but it loses that tension as the movie goes on and gets kinda stupid. The best foreign horror I've ever seen was switch blade romance

My brother has recommended session 9 also do you guys include alien the thing and event horizon belong to the horror genre

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

For sheer grimness and despair, you won't beat 'Day of the Dead' from 1985. One of the greatest horror films of all time.

For spooky atmostphere, I just watched an Australian film called 'Lake Mungo'. Very good mocumentary that uses creepy visuals and sound to great effect.

Another thumbs up for 'Rec'. But, ignore the sequels. They're terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Thing is one of the best films ever made by the maimstream studios in any genre imo.

Suffocating suspense throughout and "real" special effects that still hold up pretty well to this day. Perfect soundtrack too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tylerdurex wrote: »
    Never seen gigli

Probably the most frightening one of them all.

But as Gigli illustrates, horror is in the eye of the beholder (and it horrified almost everyone who saw it, I think).

For me, I agree with what the makers of the Blair Witch Project thought before making the film, that being that documentaries about paranormal phenomena are infinitely scarier than fictional films on the same subject. So they had the genius idea (at the time) of creating a fictionalised documentary. OK, to be fair, this was not a strictly new idea, but they took it to new heights and employed a highly effective guerrilla marketing campaign to back it up.

Films that are effective in the same vein:

Ghostwatch - A 1990 mock-doc, hosted by Michael Parkinson, featuring a 'live' investigation of an allegedly haunted London home. Loosely based on the Enfield poltergeist case.

Paranormal Activity - Another one, like Blair Witch, that created a huge festival buzz. Very well known because it's been franchised to oblivion, but the original remains a deeply frightening piece of found footage work.

The McPherson Tape - A family get-together finds itself thrown into chaos as the home becomes targeted by extraterrestrials. This shouldn't be as good as it is due to the no-budget special effects, but the camcorder style and the reactions of the people in it, makes it feel very real.

Lake Mungo - A young girl dies tragically, and following her death, sightings of her begin to occur.

But a really brilliant theatrical horror, in my opinion, is Dead End. It's about a family driving home on Christmas Eve, and they take a detour. From there, the nightmares begin. It's a kind of surreal film, where it's hard to guess what will happen next, and I like a film that keeps you off-kilter as opposed to following the standard beats.

And for a foreign film, one of my favourites is Calvaire. A travelling musician ends up at a town that could be described as a Belgian Royston-Vasey, with the sinisterness dialled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Orphan
    The Conjuring
    The grudge
    The ring
    The hills have eyes
    Nightmare on elm street
    Childs play 1
    6th sense

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The Devil's Candy was one I watched recently which was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Inviere

Grave Encounters & The Grudge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Always liked Dawn of the Dead (2004) and 28 Days Later.
    The 3 mentioned earlier the Thing, Event Horizon and Alien also awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Inviere

Watched Event Horizon relatively recently, it doesn't hold up imo (I used to love it). 28 Days & Weeks are up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The recent ish ones that stick out for me that haven't been mentioned are Eden lake and the descent...very different but both scary I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Threads.

It's not a horror movie as such it's a 1980s BBC made docudrama about the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust.

It's as unrelentingly bleak and terrifying as any straight up horror movie ive ever seen and considering the current climate with Korea and Murica, it's a topical as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Threads.

It's not a horror movie...

Speak for yourself. :P

• Advertisement

What about the ol Human Centipede? :D

Wolf Creek is pretty scary, and pretty believable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I usually find that it's not jump out scenes that really scare me so much but smaller things. There was a scene in The Ring where Naomi Watts pulls hair from her mouth and it was disgusting and creeped me out.

I actually thought the first scene in Scream was quite scary with Drew Barrymore in cameo because I wasn't expecting her to die.

I haven't seen Gigli, but it looks scary as f***

220px-Gigliposter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Don't watch many horror films, Wolf Creek, as mentioned was scary enough, but scariest film I've ever watched (once) was the thriller Spoorloos. The Dutch film remade as The Vanishing (and ending completely changed)

It probably wouldn't even elicit a meh from most horror fans, but It's the only film that gave me nightmares, and I genuinely will never watch it again.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

The Wicker Man ( the original with edward woodward)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Don't watch many horror films, Wolf Creek, as mentioned was scary enough, but scariest film I've ever watched (once) was the thriller Spoorloos. The Dutch film remade as The Vanishing (and ending completely changed)

It probably wouldn't even elicit a meh from most horror fans, but It's the only film that gave me nightmares, and I genuinely will never watch it again.

Absolutely agree. Though I've watched it a few times, the ending is horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Threads is a fantastic one and not an obvious choice at first. The Road is another one dealing with the same topic, absolutely haunting film that stays with you for a very long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Threads is a fantastic one and not an obvious choice at first. The Road is another one dealing with the same topic, absolutely haunting film that stays with you for a very long time.

Sorry but the amount of snafus in the road ruined it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Watched The Witch recently and loved it. A slow-burning horror that slowly gets under your skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

neirbloom wrote: »

Martyrs a French/Canadian horror from 2008 is also great and probably the last horror movie since The Babadock to genuinely creep me out.

Great shout, one of the few films I've seen that genuinely disturbed me. An unforgettable experience.
    gmisk wrote: »
    The recent ish ones that stick out for me that haven't been mentioned are Eden lake and the descent...very different but both scary I thought!

Along with Dog Soldiers these two represent a high-water mark for British horror. Kill List deserves a mention too.

Advertisement