Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Clerical Officer Campaign 2017 (Dublin)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dreadlymm

I found the practice tests a great help obviously the questions and figures are all different but the format is exactly the same.
    best of luck with it

Thanks for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

I found the practice tests a great help obviously the questions and figures are all different but the format is exactly the same.
    best of luck with it

where did you practice? what website?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

2016claire wrote: »
    where did you practice? what website?

go to your public jobs message for the test and follow the links

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Did they say if they were using negative marking? In other words do you lose points for incorrect answers or do you just get no points for incorrect answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Did they say if they were using negative marking? In other words do you lose points for incorrect answers or do you just get no points for incorrect answers.
    I did mine this morning at 11.45 - the sitting I was at made no mention of negative marking, but then again, no one asked about it either. I'd guess it would have been brought to our attention if it was being used though.

• Advertisement

It would be interesting to know from anyone who might be taking the test tomorrow. Could make a difference in terms of guessing answers if you run out of time.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know from anyone who might be taking the test tomorrow. Could make a difference in terms of guessing answers if you run out of time.

Someone should definitely ask about it ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭vinegarhill98

davydoc wrote: »
    Someone should definitely ask about it ðŸ‘

I asked before i sat the 2016 campaign tests and they wouldnt confirm if it was or wasnt. I do t think it is as far as i know although could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1 QC2711

Hi there
    Well done to all who’ve made it through tests so far. I have a question, hoping somebody might be able to answer. Does time spent as TCO count at all with regard to starting salary? Ie new entrants start at bottom of scale, I take it TCO experience doesn’t make a difference?

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sharon2017

Hi !

I am 529 on the order of merit and have a few questions. I saw earlier in the thread there was mention of the starting salary being 22,000, I just wondered if this has gone up because I can see on Impact’s website that the lowest entry point for CO is listed as 23,565. Its still quite low either way but the 1 and a half grand bump would make quite a difference.

Also I wanted to know if anybody could tell me how long you have to work as a CO before you can get a promotion to a higher grade. I am using this opportunity as a way in to the civil service but would like to get promoted as quickly as possible.

I have also applied for the AO grade but, I have just received those results and seem to be 813 on the OOM, which although it was a pass, seems quite low as I believe there was less interest in this campaign, though I could be wrong. I understand they are calling around 200 people in the first round so maybe I won’t get called at all for that.

I am taking my test tomorow by the way and have NOT practised! Does the practice help and would taking a few tests on the 3 hour bus journey up help me?

I wouldn’t say I’m nervous but I wish I put more effort in and prepped a bit.

One last question. I presume I don’t have to dress formally tomorrow since there is no interview or group exercise? I don’t fancy having to wear a stuffy lined suit on the long coach trip up to Dublin!

Good luck to everyone else.

• Advertisement

Doing some practice certainly won’t do any harm and seeing as how you have three hours to kill, why not. There is no need to dress up at all, it is completely informal. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 angeb

Did test today. Did some practice and to be honest, if I'd have had a year to practise I still wouldn't have had enough. I found the language in the numerical test very tough but the verbal quite straight forward, I'd time at the end to go back and read over the more difficult ones. But be careful of the time in the numerical, it goes so quick. I guessed a few of the harder questions. Remember to bring ID and a photo. Good luck.

angeb wrote: »
    Did test today. Did some practice and to be honest, if I'd have had a year to practise I still wouldn't have had enough. I found the language in the numerical test very tough but the verbal quite straight forward, I'd time at the end to go back and read over the more difficult ones. But be careful of the time in the numerical, it goes so quick. I guessed a few of the harder questions. Remember to bring ID and a photo. Good luck.

Thanks, fingers crossed. I read they’re only counting our scores for the verbal test in this round so you just need to pass the numeracy minimum requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Sharon2017 wrote: »
    Hi !

I am 529 on the order of merit and have a few questions. I saw earlier in the thread there was mention of the starting salary being 22,000, I just wondered if this has gone up because I can see on Impact’s website that the lowest entry point for CO is listed as 23,565. Its still quite low either way but the 1 and a half grand bump would make quite a difference.

Also I wanted to know if anybody could tell me how long you have to work as a CO before you can get a promotion to a higher grade. I am using this opportunity as a way in to the civil service but would like to get promoted as quickly as possible.

I have also applied for the AO grade but, I have just received those results and seem to be 813 on the OOM, which although it was a pass, seems quite low as I believe there was less interest in this campaign, though I could be wrong. I understand they are calling around 200 people in the first round so maybe I won’t get called at all for that.

I am taking my test tomorow by the way and have NOT practised! Does the practice help and would taking a few tests on the 3 hour bus journey up help me?

One last question. I presume I don’t have to dress formally tomorrow since there is no interview or group exercise? I don’t fancy having to wear a stuffy lined suit on the long coach trip up to Dublin!

Definitely do some practice tests on the way

Regarding the promotion time. If you apply internally or interdepartmentally you have to have completed 2 years service by closing date of the campaign you are applying for to be eligible. There are however open comps for some grades that you can apply for whenever they come up. I only started as a CO in Feb but then started as an SO in October as I applied for the open psnel. I think the next EO comp should open toward the end of 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Hi !

Oh and the salary is 23565

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

Anybody else get a message with feedback from the questionnaire? Don’t remember asking for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

Claireyy wrote: »
    Anybody else get a message with feedback from the questionnaire? Don’t remember asking for it...

Just received it too, I think it's just a general thing they are sending out as probably bombarded with queries from people wondering if they will get called.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cornel08biz

Yes.. We have all received it.
    Are they going to start calling the rest of us ?
    How was last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

RachelDDD wrote: »
    Just received it too, I think it's just a general thing they are sending out as probably bombarded with queries from people wondering if they will get called.

Ah right, have applied to a few campaigns now and never got feedback on anything unless I directly asked for it so was just wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yup just got it too.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify - the message we received today doesn't have our own scores on it , or order of merit, or anything that relates to us personally or our scores, it's just a general benchmarking that they will be using - am I right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Thanks, fingers crossed. I read they’re only counting our scores for the verbal test in this round so you just need to pass the numeracy minimum requirement.

Where did you hear/read that? Did mine this morning and as with all these tests, it's very hard to say how it went. I didn't find either test a doddle!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RaoisleMcK

et101 wrote: »
    Where did you hear/read that? Did mine this morning and as with all these tests, it's very hard to say how it went. I didn't find either test a doddle!!! :o

I think it said in the "Familiarisation Material" link that only the verbal and assessment contribute to OOM. But you still have to achieve the min score in numerical to advance to Stage 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

RaoisleMcK wrote: »
    I think it said in the "Familiarisation Material" link that only the verbal and assessment contribute to OOM. But you still have to achieve the min score in numerical to advance to Stage 3.

I really hope you're right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭vinegarhill98

Yeah it says in familiarisation booklet and it was same for 2016 campaign

YourOOM is a combination of assessment questionaire and verbal

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RaoisleMcK

Just checked to make sure. Here's the quote from pg 2 of that link :)

"...ranking on the order of merit will be determined by performance at the supervised Verbal test (taken at stage 2) and the Assessment Questionnaire (completed as part of Stage 1). In addition, you must also reach the required standard in the Numerical Reasoning test at Stage 2."

I had mine today and found the verbal test the easier of the two. I think I did well on this and had extra time to go over my answers but who really knows. As for the numerical it was certainly more difficult by comparison and had some trick questions in there but was not totally mind boggling or horrific , like some numeracy tests I have seen. I should note I rushed the last two sections of this and didn’t get everything answered, so I won’t have done ‘well’ I’m sure, but I’m thinking I surely scrope a pass.

I think in order to get to the first set of interviews, verbal would want to be really high and I can’t say for sure that mine will be.

Results will be released in December they’ve said.

Does anybody who went through the same process before know how soon the first set of interviews in 2018 could likely be?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭rachaelworld

I just got my invite to stage 2! :D That was bit of a surprise after the false alarm of the feedback arriving yesterday :rolleyes:

My OOM is in the 1350s by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dottynic

Hi guys does anybody know how far up the line they will call in order of oom for stage 2 I'm quite high up the line compared to everyone here I'm 2100 oom. Quite high so I probably shouldn't get my hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I just got my invite to stage 2! :D That was bit of a surprise after the false alarm of the feedback arriving yesterday :rolleyes:

My OOM is in the 1350s by the way

How much notice have u been given till u have to sit the exam?

Advertisement