Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Day Slavery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Why are they called Irish travellers when many lived their whole lives in the U.K. and have nothing to do with Ireland?

its ther etnic status
    its stupid but its the same as roma gypsies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this a new phenomenon irish travellers moving over to the UK? do they have links with english gypsy's and the like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well the Roma aren't necessarily Romanian, there are a few populations throughout Europe who seem to be descended from groups from Northern India.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Why are they called Irish travellers when many lived their whole lives in the U.K. and have nothing to do with Ireland?

Unfortunately not only do we have to put up with their crap at home we also have to suffer the reputational damage abroad.

Any excuse for the Daily Mail, Telegraph etc and the Travellers provide it.

Ipso wrote: »
    Well the Roma aren't necessarily Romanian, there are a few populations throughout Europe who seem to be descended from groups from Northern India.

Irish travellers aren't nessicarly Irish

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    its ther etnic status
    its stupid but its the same as roma gypsies

So are they Irish or are they a different ethnic group? I thought people didn't like when they wanted different ethnicity.

Tigger wrote: »
    Irish travellers aren't nessicarly Irish

I thought they were a sub population that split of from the main population about 500 years ago, and stayed more or less endogamous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

RayM wrote: »
    Their job is to help ensure that Travellers, as an ethnic minority in this country, aren't discriminated against. Therefore, it is only right and proper that they would acknowledge the inevitable fact that racists will use this crime as an excuse to attack all Travellers.

The following is interesting.
    It is regrettable that the Traveller community at large will be blamed for these acts due to the identification of the family, in the media, as a Traveller family.

As we have stated in the past, cruelty and criminality is not something that is exclusive to any one ethnic group – but rather something that, regrettably, exists among all ethnic groups

First of all they use the term, regrettable. Why?

Is it regrettable that the media used the term in the first place, or the fact that these were a traveller family?
    Why did they not say that it was regrettable that they were identified as an Irish family? Has any Irish interest group stated as much and if not why?

They clear imposition here is that they wish media outlets not identify future cases where crimes are committed by travellers to be censored.

Secondly, they acknowledge the true fact that no race, nationality or ethnic people are free from criminality, but refuse to even acknowledge the statistics from multiple sources as to the prevalence of crime among traveller communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rabble rabble. Posters turning up to bash travellers as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

humberklog wrote: »
    Wonder what the beauts in Paver Point make of this.

I wonder what John Connors makes of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fryup wrote: »
    is this a new phenomenon irish travellers moving over to the UK? do they have links with english gypsy's and the like ?

They are exporting their shenanigans across Europe and even as far as Australia and making huge money scamming people. Zero tax paid on profits and they're let away with it. You only have to look at the cars in Rathkeale at Christmas and it would sicken you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    They are exporting their shenanigans across Europe and even as far as Australia and making huge money scamming people. Zero tax paid on profits and they're let away with it. You only have to look at the cars in Rathkeale at Christmas and it would sicken you.

To be fair, travellers not paying tax ranks pretty low on my list of concerns ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They are exporting their shenanigans across Europe and even as far as Australia and making huge money scamming people. Zero tax paid on profits and they're let away with it.

they are let away with it? i don't think so. granted every single 1 won't be caught but when they can be they are.
    You only have to look at the cars in Rathkeale at Christmas and it would sicken you.

if you suspect these have been gotten by illegal means, report it to the revenue who are obligated to do an investigation and who will investigate. you must have actual evidence though, jealousy because someone has a better car or more money then you won't quite work.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

They welcomed the fact that the perpetrators were brought to justice and offered their sympathy to the victims. They also acknowledged the regrettable fact that racist arseholes will inevitably use it as a stick to beat all Travellers with.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/no-to-exploitation-and-abuse/

Ah the traveller 'race'. I remember that well in my Inter cert biology:
    • Caucasoid
    • Negroid
    • Mongoloid
    • Travelleroid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Rabble rabble. Posters turning up to bash travellers as usual.
    I just don't get this. Downplaying horrific abuse in order to let people know they're such plebs.

It was the same from others with the revelations of the sex abuse ring in Newcastle recently - much more concern with telling people they're bigots than with the actual abuse.

It's in such poor taste.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    Can you please discuss the topic at hand rather than making blanket statements about travelers. It adds nothing to the discussion and there have been too many threads shut down because of it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Their job is to help ensure that Travellers, as an ethnic minority in this country, aren't discriminated against. Therefore, it is only right and proper that they would acknowledge the inevitable fact that racists will use this crime as an excuse to attack all Travellers.

The practice of travellers having 'slaves' is not unique to the family in the OP's article.

Travellers don't call them slaves, they call them 'dossers'. Plenty of traveller families have dossers. I personally know one traveller that has a 'dosser'. Even though he is essentially a slave, he has been conditioned to accept this way of life. He has been rescued a few times but always ends up back with the traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I've got to get in on these traveller crime sprees, they sound profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its a pity the truck driver didn't just drive off and let yer man hit the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yeah, it's all the medias fault that travellers get a bad name. They shouldn't have mentioned that it was a traveller family and only reported half the story so as not to hurt their feelings.

How is the fact that they are travellers half the story? It's not even part of the story.

Spider Web wrote: »
    I just don't get this. Downplaying horrific abuse in order to let people know they're such plebs.

It was the same from others with the revelations of the sex abuse ring in Newcastle recently - much more concern with telling people they're bigots than with the actual abuse.

It's in such poor taste.

Suggesting that I downplayed abuse is in very poor taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

Lux23 wrote: »
    How is the fact that they are travellers half the story? It's not even part of the story.
    Not even part of the story. Ah seriously...
    Suggesting that I downplayed abuse is in very poor taste.
    Well sidestepped it so.

Spider Web wrote: »

Well sidestepped it so.

Hardly. I wrote ten words. It doesn't cover all aspects of my view on the matter. I wasn't asked any questions.

The abuse is deplorable, it pretty much goes without saying.
    The people flocking to the thread with glee to tar a group based on the actions of a few people who are attributed to said group is also deplorable. This however doesn't seem to go without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ipso wrote: »
    So are they Irish or are they a different ethnic group? I thought people didn't like when they wanted different ethnicity.

Aren't the Irish a mish mash of a lot things anyway. I got DNA tested for the laugh and had 15% Iberian.

Instant explanation for my brown eyes, dark hair, sallow complexion.

The 'Black Irish', we are own ethnic group. :pac:

Aren't the Irish a mish mash of a lot things anyway. I got DNA tested for the laugh and had 15% Iberian.

Instant explanation for my brown eyes, dark hair, sallow complexion.

The 'Black Irish', we are own ethnic group. :pac:

The good old Irish American term for people who don't have red hair and freckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Will that crowd of scumbags have their property seized?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The practice of travellers having 'slaves' is not unique to the family in the OP's article.

Travellers don't call them slaves, they call them 'dossers'. Plenty of traveller families have dossers. I personally know one traveller that has a 'dosser'. Even though he is essentially a slave, he has been conditioned to accept this way of life. He has been rescued a few times but always ends up back with the traveller.

It's defiantly a thing
    I've come accross a good few polish alcoholics that have ended up like this
    Here is an extract from a books detailing the practice

https://books.google.ie/books?id=WCKt0jLk3qIC&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=dosser+traveller&source=bl&ots=RD_QFohhN-&sig=Jv32XjFqy01zamewF43IsxLy32Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiw9q7976LWAhVLKMAKHWAOD_IQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=dosser%20traveller&f=false

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Hardly. I wrote ten words. It doesn't cover all aspects of my view on the matter. I wasn't asked any questions.

The abuse is deplorable, it pretty much goes without saying.
    The people flocking to the thread with glee to tar a group based on the actions of a few people who are attributed to said group is also deplorable. This however doesn't seem to go without saying.

It isn't "the actions of a few", that is just not true. The practice of keeping people, usually men with severe learning disabilities or other vulnerable groups, as virtual slaves is not at all uncommon among Irish Travellers, both here and in the UK. They don't all do this but it is not an exceptional outlier as similar practices among the general population would be.

Even accepting that it is only a small % that do keep slaves, the entire extended family/clan of those doing it would be well aware that this is happening but they do nothing to stop it. How many settled people could you say that about? Would it really happen that any community on this island other than travellers would know about families in their midst keeping slaves and do nothing about it?

Sorry but your shtick that it is just more anti-traveller bias is crap. This group act in a way that if replicated by the population at large would turn our country into a fetid non-functioning chaotic cesspit with an economy even the likes of Mugabe would laugh at.

Advertisement