Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Day Slavery

Options
  • 12-09-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see this case on the News?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0912/904129-nottingham-slavery/
    The head of a UK-based Irish Traveller family has been jailed for ten years at Nottingham Crown Court on charges relating to modern slavery and fraud.

Martin Rooney Senior was one of seven people sentenced earlier today.

Sentencing in the case of another four will resume this afternoon.

The members of the Rooney family were based on a number of Traveller sites in Lincolnshire.

In sentencing, Judge Timothy Spencer described one of those sites, Drinsey Nook, as a hub of wholesale exploitation of vulnerable men.

Many of those targeted were homeless or had learning difficulties or drug problems.

A total of 18 men were forced to work for the Rooney family, ranging in age from 18 to 63.

The judge said violence was a consistent theme in this case and that victims knew any resistance was futile and would be met by more violence.

Shocking case. I thought this stuff only existed in Africa or the Middle East.

Jail is too good for them. They should be made work in a chain gang for a few decades.

Fair play to the police for tackling this and setting these people free.

Do you think anything like this is being done here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

markodaly wrote: »

Jail is too good for them. They should be made work in a chain gang for a few decades.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/

According to this, they have surveyed 167 countries, and slavery is active in all.

There's an estimated 45.8 MILLION people in slavery around the world.

There was a program a while back where hotels around the world could submit a picture of their rooms, so they could be compared to pictures used by slavers and human traffickers, where they show their "wares" on the dark web. I didn't hear how successful it was though.

Wherever you find people, you'll find shit people, doing all sorts of horrible **** to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

'24 hours in police custody' had a feature on this a few months ago. (s05e03)
    Big raid on a travellers camp where they suspected slaves were been kept.
    But the slaves said they were happy with their lot and would not press charges, despite living in clear squalor.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Juran

Good on and fair play to the British police and justice system .... what would they get in Ireland, suspended sentence and 300 Euro fine ?????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Wonder what the beauts in Paver Point make of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

humberklog wrote: »

It'll probably be said it's their culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

12 years a slave, boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

One poor lad was kept 26 years

Everyone of them dirty fuxks should get that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Juran wrote: »
    Good on and fair play to the British police and justice system .... what would they get in Ireland, suspended sentence and 300 Euro fine ?????

Probably get a 300 slavery euro grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4 spiritnsoul

Probably get a 300 slavery euro grant

Not 2 mention free land and houses, maybe even deemed heroes for housing the poor unfortunates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

They welcomed the fact that the perpetrators were brought to justice and offered their sympathy to the victims. They also acknowledged the regrettable fact that racist arseholes will inevitably use it as a stick to beat all Travellers with.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/no-to-exploitation-and-abuse/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It is regrettable that the Traveller community at large will be blamed for these acts due to the identification of the family, in the media, as a Traveller family.

Yeah, it's all the medias fault that travellers get a bad name. They shouldn't have mentioned that it was a traveller family and only reported half the story so as not to hurt their feelings.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

RayM wrote: »
    They welcomed the fact that the perpetrators were brought to justice and offered their sympathy to the victims. They also acknowledged the regrettable fact that racist arseholes will inevitably use it as a stick to beat all Travellers with.

http://www.paveepoint.ie/no-to-exploitation-and-abuse/

Nice one, so some how they made themselves out to be prospective victims in all of this.

Bravo Pavee, bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just when you think they cant get any worse

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

We rely heavily on slave labour for 99% of our clothing.

Out of sight out of mind.

I know I'm contributing to it too

AnthonyCny wrote: »
    We rely heavily on slave labour for 99% of our clothing.

Out of sight out of mind.

I know I'm contributing to it too

I would hazard a guess this is only tip of the ice berg tbh

The police seemed to imply as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Nice one, so some how they made themselves out to be prospective victims in all of this.

Bravo Pavee, bravo.

Their job is to help ensure that Travellers, as an ethnic minority in this country, aren't discriminated against. Therefore, it is only right and proper that they would acknowledge the inevitable fact that racists will use this crime as an excuse to attack all Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭enricoh

Apparently its also an issue here in cannabis grow houses, nail bars, ethnic restaurants.
    Im sure the gardai are eh on top of it, well sorta sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/

According to this, they have surveyed 167 countries, and slavery is active in all.

There's an estimated 45.8 MILLION people in slavery around the world.

There was a program a while back where hotels around the world could submit a picture of their rooms, so they could be compared to pictures used by slavers and human traffickers, where they show their "wares" on the dark web. I didn't hear how successful it was though.

Wherever you find people, you'll find shit people, doing all sorts of horrible **** to each other.

There is an app called traffickcam that allows you to take and upload photos of your hotel room for comparison to images on file with authorities.

There is also ongoing requests from Europol to identify objects in photographs to help identify the location.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/stopchildabuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

enricoh wrote: »
    Apparently its also an issue here in cannabis grow houses, nail bars, ethnic restaurants.

One of the top Interpol investigators of missing and exploited children is on secondment from the Gardaí.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvwToqWa2Js

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I would hazard a guess this is only tip of the ice berg tbh

The police seemed to imply as much

On BBC report I saw the Judge said that he believed this sort of practice was common on traveller sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was a thread here in AH at the time,I think it's this one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056385515

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Not shocking, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Only a minority etc,, blah blah blah. Any word from Pavee yet? Yeah i thought not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Only a minority etc,, blah blah blah. Any word from Pavee yet? Yeah i thought not.
    Only a few posts up, ffs.

The "but this means all travellers will be blamed" bit from Pavee Point is whataboutery and deflection, and it's in bad taste considering how horrific the treatment of those enslaved was. Those of you who are familiar with these slave camps in the UK beyond the one in today's news will know what I'm talking about. Absolutely hideous.

Imagine if the catholic church released a statement condemning child abuse by members of the clergy and then added on "But this means all priests will be blamed". Utterly tacky. It is up for discussion, but it doesn't have to be on the same blasted press release.

There are a lot of problems within traveller society and it's frustrating when people will not acknowledge this, or when criticism of these problems is deemed bigotry. I know not all travellers are criminals and massively self entitled and incapable of taking responsibility for themselves and prone to blaming settled society and the guards for their own shortcomings. I feel sorry for those who are stuck in the cycle and want to make a better life for themselves, and who are hindered - by both their own communities, and by the attitudes of some settled people who refuse to believe that there is any good traveller.

But the problems ultimately need to be tackled from within - and shutting it out and inane platitudes like "Settled society can have those problems too" (not to anywhere near the same extent, and these "slave farms" are not a settled Irish people thing) help nobody, least of all travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

it was happening in Letterkenny last year

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is it with these ethnic minorities and keeping people as slaves?
    Weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

enricoh wrote: »
    There was a programme about it before to do with foreigners enslaved in the Irish fishing industry and also well to do Irish families taking foreign nannies passports and paying them a pittance.I remember one Filipino girl was living in a container in the yard.
    (think it was on RTE Prime time).

biko wrote: »
    What is it with these ethnic minorities and keeping people as slaves?
    Weird..

What I would be wondering about these us

While it's probably only an absolute tiny tiny minority at it.

How many other traveller families know about it and not support it,but not report it (for any number of reasons) either??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The head of a UK-based Irish Traveller family has been jailed for ten years at Nottingham Crown Court on charges relating to modern slavery and fraud.

Why are they called Irish travellers when many lived their whole lives in the U.K. and have nothing to do with Ireland?

Advertisement