Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Rathborne, Ashtown, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 n1ckymar1e

Mo747 wrote: »
    I'm considering buying in phase two however I am a bit concerned as I cant understand why they are so much cheaper than royal canal development? like what is the reason for this, have they skimped on stuff? such as the one parking place and no option to buy a second. what is the area like, seems to lack a sense of community with all the apartments?

The one main thing I can see is the square footage for houses is smaller at Rathbourne than RCP (Im specifically referencing the 4 bed in Rathbourne vs any of the 4 beds in RCP). but your buying a second phase not 6th or so such as RCP, which is more established.

We will really only know the quality when they allow access to the show homes to compare more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mo747

True and valid point, although wasn’t it phase 2 in royal canal that sold last sept or oct which started at 395. I suppose rathborne also has management fees so kinda explains price difference. Any thoughts on the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭climber59

I've lived in both Royal Canal Park and Rathborne for the last 8 years. It's a really lovely place to live - access to the city, the canal, the park. The village has everything you need. There is a definite lack of community mostly because so many people rent I assume (me included) but it's what you make of it. There is a community association and you can get involved there. Plus new neighbours all moving in together will create some sense of community. There is a bit of antisocial behaviour - mostly scrambler bikes and a lot of bicycle robberies but no more so that any place in Dublin these days.

Like someone said earlier this is only the second phase so they can only increase the price so much. The last phase of RCP was one of the last ones so it was bound to be more expensive. There might be a difference in spec but I can't imagine it being that much. I've watched them being built from my apartment for the last few months and it all looks good - not that I know anything about construction!

We bought a few months ago in Somerton, Lucan also built by Castlethorn. They seem to be pretty much the same houses albeit the ones in Lucan are a bit bigger. We were very impressed with the show houses - I'm sure you will be with these too.

Just FYI, there was a queue for these last time a couple of days before (as there was at our ones in Lucan) so if you do want one get there early!

Thanks a mill for all the info! Good to know..and all sounds positive!
    In relation to queuing they said anyone who queues won’t be given tickets and will be told to go home as it’s a live site!?

Yeah so we were told that as well but we ended up queuing outside the EA's office in Lucan from 9am on the Friday morning (they told us we could that morning after we rang them). They eventually gave out tickets at 5pm. We were first there on Friday but we were number 17. There were 16 other people who had queued at various times over the previous few days and they were told to come back at 5pm on Friday and they gave the tickets out in order.

It's really really hard to know what to do. We just kept driving by to see what was going on. A good few queues formed and were broken up over the previous days by the site foreman. Every phase is different but my only advice is to stay on Savills for the next couple of days. It wouldn't surprise me if people ended up queuing at the old sales office in the village. Either way I guarantee someone will queue somewhere!

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for letting me know!!! And yea I’d say your right, clearly just telling people that In the hope they’d listen! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

On the sense of community, if you buy/have kids or go looking for it there's a decent community here.

With kids, there are two (lovely) playgrounds and you'll be there every day seeing the same faces. Almost everyone from the creches (and school I assume) lives locally so you see them about and get to know each other if you want to. There's a toddler group too.

All new build developments you'll get to know your neighbours unless you don't want to.

And even if neither applies to you There's things like lots of local businesses, a park run nearby, a mini dog park on the canal, a food market in Saturday's half an hour away and community associations that you can use to start getting to know people

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I agree, it has a great community feel for young families. There is lots to do, with the 2 playgrounds, parks and shops all within walking distance.

Phase 1 of any development is always a leap of faith if buying of plans. As posters have previously said, the houses are based on previous established Castlethorn designs.

There seems to be more 3 beds in the plans with 4 bed houses on each corner of a block (in phase 1 anyway).

Thanks that does sound v family orientated and plenty of amenities around. I’ve heard that they are building a Lidl or aldi also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Mo747 wrote:
    Thanks that does sound v family orientated and plenty of amenities around. I’ve heard that they are building a Lidl or aldi also?

Aldi being built down in the Royal Canal Park development. Not sure when it is expected to open though

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Aldi being built down in the Royal Canal Park development. Not sure when it is expected to open though

Aldi's website says November 2018. Used to say August 2018 so I guess no guarantees but probably in the next 12 months.

The local area plan for the area is worth a read if you're interested in buying.
    It's a good overview of the plans for the area when it's finished.

http://www.dublincity.ie/ashtown-pelletstown-local-area-plan

Parts 1-4 [3-7]mostly.

@Mo747 - just an FYI, there were people at the site gate on deckchairs at 6.30am this morning when my partner went to work. They had duvets so looked like they'd been there all night. They were gone when I left at 7.30am though!

Thanks for update, heard it started last night alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 toberlion

Hi, has anyone been updated on completion date for phase 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Question regarding the type 6 3 bed with Garage , does the garage qualify as your parking spot or do you also get a designated external parking spot ? Anybody know ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Flowergirl4

Hi, does anyone know if there is much antisocial behaviour in the area and if so what? Thinking of buying and trying to suss out the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tonygal123

Hi, we have purchased a type 6 house in phase 2 of the Rathborne Park development which we are due the keys of in April. We are trying to get furniture, interiors etc sorted now but don’t have all the measurements. Is there anyone currently living in type 6 house of phase 1 who would be so kind as to let us have a quick look to get some final measurements and refresh our memory of the house?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

If anybody that has moved in has a solicitor recommendation , could you pm me details please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

tonygal123 wrote: »
    Hi, we have purchased a type 6 house in phase 2 of the Rathborne Park development which we are due the keys of in April. We are trying to get furniture, interiors etc sorted now but don’t have all the measurements. Is there anyone currently living in type 6 house of phase 1 who would be so kind as to let us have a quick look to get some final measurements and refresh our memory of the house?

Many thanks.

The dimensions are in the planning docs on the Dublin City Council site. Alternatively I think someone uploaded them to the Facebook group.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭elainers

Hi, does anyone know if there is much antisocial behaviour in the area and if so what? Thinking of buying and trying to suss out the area

Personally I haven't encountered any antisocial behaviour. There's a few Facebook groups that would give you a better sense though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

Hi, there is a final phase of Rathborne Park is coming soon and they are releasing 3 and 4 bedroom. I will probably go with Type 6 (3 Bed 104Sqm). Some new houses due to launch opposite to Palletstown Avenue and beside Rathborne Vale https://goo.gl/maps/MxN5rKbYUUD2

I spoke to Savills and they confirmed that Social housing will also come which they havent disclose where it will be. Since this is the final Phase i am thinking it will close to Sales Office and oppsite to these houses.

I am just wondering can you guys suggest me how is the locality overall, any antisocial behavior?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

There's not much anti social activity to be honest, at least not more than expected from an area that lies between apartment blocks and broombridge.

Apartment blocks will by their nature cause some antisocial behavior but there's a number of ppl in them who are there a while. The biggest issue is the trouble from broombridge, at least that's where they get on the train. About 8-10 of them head to ashtown and rob the shops there on a regular basis. The gardai know who they are but because the little tikes are young, they avoid any punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andybrez25

Hi all.

Does anyone have any information on the area under construction beside the sales office in rathborne, that face onto the canal? In the rathborne site map it just has this area down as future development but cant see any other info on it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

Andybrez25 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Does anyone have any information on the area under construction beside the sales office in rathborne, that face onto the canal? In the rathborne site map it just has this area down as future development but cant see any other info on it.

Thanks.

I remember looking at planning permission for it. All is there - designs for apartments and duplexes. I don't remember the planning reference number but you should be able to find it easily on Dublin City planning website.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1842436&page=2&amp=1&utm_source=amp

A summary description, site plan and some nice renderings of the proposal here.

Andybrez25 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks.

It's apartments, I asked as I was looking at the houses for sale, very nearly put a deposit down.
    4 storey apartment blocks, right behind the houses. The ends will be 5 storeys.
    So blocking any sunlight & looking down into the gardens!

I didn't put a deposit down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andybrez25

Thanks all. Found the planning on the Dublin city site. Mostly 4 story duplexes with 5 story apartments on each end.

Big decision to make now! Anyone else bought one of the type 7's than can comment on what type of an impact this will have?

Well it's obvious that a four or five storey building directly behind your house will have a massive impact!
    Those houses are south facing but you won't get the sun at all because it will be blocked by the building. Also, you would have zero privacy in your house or garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

Hey all,

Hope it's ok to drag this right up. Has anyone looked at replacing their kitchen cabinets? I'm not feeling them, got multiple quotes for a grand to get them stripped down and repainted. I'm considering doing it myself but don't want to make a mess. Castlethorn seem to be putting much nicer kitchens into their more recent developments, wish they had put more thought into the 200+ in Rathborne Park. Apologies if this belongs elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

We replaced most of our kitchen cabinets with the Panelling centre in Santry. They have large variety of materials and were good to deal with.

Advertisement